• Podcast:  

• Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Farewell Jayden Hunt

Demonland

I will be very disappointed if Jayden goes particularly to West Coast, I hope that we can do a decent deal to keep him but will wish him all the best if he decides to go.😪

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Jayden has always been a good athlete.  Just not what i would call a natural footballer.

Much like Frost he was unpredictable to his teammates.

Although he runs fast, he runs in straight lines and often ran himself into trouble.

He has played 40 games in last few years but is not vital for us imo.    Usually i would put him bottom 1-10 players so i can see why Melbourne may have lowballed him on offer/duration.

We need natural footballers not just athletes who adapt.   Joel Smith is another like Hunt, but probably has bigger upside and on less coin.

I wish him all the best luck finding new home. He is unlikely to show any further improvement at this stage of his career.  

Others need the development time.

• Like 5
  • Thinking 1

22 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

He has played 40 games in last few years but is not vital for us imo.    Usually i would put him bottom 1-10 players so i can see why Melbourne may have lowballed him on offer/duration.

We need natural footballers not just athletes who adapt.   Joel Smith is another like Hunt, but probably has bigger upside and on less coin.

I can see why Smith is more beneficial for the list but I'd take Hunt's 40 actual games over Smith's flexibility

Edited by BW511
  • Like 5

Whilst he’s not on the Jetta or Hibbo level you can see Hunt actually reads the play and makes decisive defensive actions. Smith is tentative and you can see him pause to think before acting. Add in his 4 month injury every year and he can’t be relied on.

Losing Hunt will lose depth from the one part of the ground we actually had more than the bare minimum to fill a 22. 

Now it’s either a player not on the list, a big downgrade to Smith if available, moving Brayshaw again or relying on Judd McVee making a leap???

A JT special who’s ready to go would be nice, but maybe we actually do have a functioning pro scout department ready to find a delisted or state league option?

• Like 3

He was devastated to miss out on 21 and I was saying all the right things for 22. Thought he and the headband would kick on at the dees for a few more years. 

Would prefer to keep him, Love Hunty but can't blame him too much for chasing better job security given the life of an AFL footballer. 

• Like 7

5 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I can see why Smith is more beneficial for the list but I'd take Hunt's 40 actual games over Smith's flexibility

I would agree if that was all there was to the equation.

Would you rather see Bowey in the team or Hunt?  Where does our future lie?!

Not sure that Smith will ever get a lucky run being injury free to fulfil his potential,  but imo he shows a more well- rounded game.

We need to make tough decisions with players that are 26, 27, 28, 29 not being inside our 10 best players.   We got a few NQR's that will likely not develop much more than they are currently.

We got some talented kids trying to get a shot.  If this forces Goodwin to pick one of them because Hunt is gone...i think this is a good thing for us going forward!

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bye bye Hunty.. disappointed to lose you..

we're never winning another flag if we lose even half the players linked to the exit this year.

firstly losing majak and mbrown is a blow to our tall depth given the injury history of the blokes in front of them and the maturity of their bodies.

then LJ goes and suddenly we have about 3 tall players on the list

and now Hunt, Bedford, Weid and Tommo are all gettable and suddenly we have literally zero mature bodies outside our 22. one injury on each line and we'll be exposed and playing injured blokes by round 8.

something HAS to be coming the other way. i know JT is an excellent draft recruiter but he's built the list now we need to plug holes, buy smart and top up. not keep going to the draft again

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 2

9 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Bye bye Hunty.. disappointed to lose you..

Compo pick could be anywhere from 40-60.  Might not be much, for a bloke who played 20 games in a premiership year and 20 more the next. 

• Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Bye Hunt,  obviously not that upset in missing out on a flag.  Just signed away any chance of getting one now.

Goodluck to you but easily replaced and won't be missed to much.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 6
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

So much for the"premiership dividend"

Hunt as a best 24 level player leaving a club in the window for a 3-5 year no finals club in return for probably one guaranteed further year and $50-100k

He has been dropped several times over the past 2-3 years. I reckon he wants to be a valued member of a team and guaranteed first 18 player. Will also get more years and money

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turner said:

we're never winning another flag if we lose even half the players linked to the exit this year.

firstly losing majak and mbrown is a blow to our tall depth given the injury history of the blokes in front of them and the maturity of their bodies.

and now Hunt, Bedford, Weid and Tommo are all gettable and suddenly we have literally zero mature bodies outside our 22. one injury on each line and we'll be exposed and playing injured blokes by round 8.

something HAS to be coming the other way. i know JT is an excellent draft recruiter but he's built the list now we need to plug holes, buy smart and top up. not keep going to the draft again

Tim Lamb is out list manager and would be the main one who would make making these key list decisions alongside Goody.

I presume Jason Taylor would have some input around the type of player need through the draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Turner said:

Agreed. Casey might struggle next year with all their players moving on

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, NeveroddoreveN said:

I would agree if that was all there was to the equation.

Would you rather see Bowey in the team or Hunt?  Where does our future lie?!

Not sure that Smith will ever get a lucky run being injury free to fulfil his potential,  but imo he shows a more well- rounded game.

We need to make tough decisions with players that are 26, 27, 28, 29 not being inside our 10 best players.   We got a few NQR's that will likely not develop much more than they are currently.

We got some talented kids trying to get a shot.  If this forces Goodwin to pick one of them because Hunt is gone...i think this is a good thing for us going forward!

I am not sure it's as simple as Bowey or Hunt fighting for one spot. I would have banked on Hunt and Bowza both being in the round 1 side, more likely at the expense of Hibbo.

I would think our future is better served by having Hunt available to play 20 games a year than Joel Smith being well rounded but injured. 

• Like 3

Do we really want to offer Jayden more than 2 years, that's the question. WC will be offering at least 3 years and that's what we need to compete with.  We have Smith for 2 years and Hibberd for 1 year - we probably believe we can get a full season out of them combined in the role.

Edited by old55
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, old55 said:

Do we really want to offer Jayden more than 2 years, that's the question. WC will be offering at least 3 years and that's what we need to compete with.

I expect Hunt will be a similar player in 3 years. He is only 27. It is not a huge risk IMO.

I like Hunt more than others around here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

9 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I expect Hunt will be a similar player in 3 years. He is only 27. It is not a huge risk IMO.

I like Hunt more than others around here.

i dont mind that he's leaving i've always thought he was a limited player and had a ceiling but we need to get capable replacements in to continue to improve the list and that's the frustrating part is that that isn't the case we seem to be content with players leaving and we're putting a lot of faith in senior 22 not getting injured or some young, fresh players who haven't set the world alight at vlf level making the step up

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DubDee said:

He has been dropped several times over the past 2-3 years. I reckon he wants to be a valued member of a team and guaranteed first 18 player. Will also get more years and money

Has he Dub? I don't think several is accurate. I'm pretty sure he wasn't dropped once last year, it was the ankle injury that cost him games and was only dropped once this season.

• Like 8

• Demonland changed the title to Farewell Jayden Hunt