Jump to content

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

  • Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Hawks Review Reveals Shock Allegations Against Former Coaches


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

I use a parmesan/pecorino blend on The Manor's signature spag bol !

Hmmm, Not quite the same thing. 

There are no blends in real Italian cheeses.

Worth tracking down the real thing otherwise it is like 'chalk and cheese' no pun intended but its true.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


18 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Hmmm, Not quite the same thing. 

There are no blends in real Italian cheeses.

Worth tracking down the real thing otherwise it is like 'chalk and cheese' no pun intended but its true.

I agree but I definitely think you meant that pun!

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seems that a few of the impacted families aren't happy with the AFL tribunal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-05/afl-announces-panel-for-investigation-into-hawthorn-allegations/101503386

Responding to news that Bernard Quinn KC will chair a panel including barristers Tim Goodwin, Julie Buxton and Jacqualyn Turfrey, a member of one of the families interviewed by ABC Sport and for the Hawthorn review said she had been caught unawares by the announcement.

A member of another of the Hawthorn families said: "Nobody from the AFL has communicated with us at all on anything".

She said her family had also been rocked by media reports claiming that former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson, who has denied allegations against him, may commence his coaching duties at North Melbourne before the completion of the investigation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/4/2022 at 1:01 PM, Diamond_Jim said:

Done right, a boarding school education can be empowering and life-changing, in the best ways, for First Nations students. Done wrong, it can wreak untold harm.

Many of the young people and parents with whom I worked describe how they experienced or witnessed abuses of power during their time at boarding school. Whether generated by malice or the best of intent, the consequences for the young person were equally damaging

While I'm sure a significantly larger shift in culture for First Nations students, those statements apply for any student...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Seems that a few of the impacted families aren't happy with the AFL tribunal

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-05/afl-announces-panel-for-investigation-into-hawthorn-allegations/101503386

Responding to news that Bernard Quinn KC will chair a panel including barristers Tim Goodwin, Julie Buxton and Jacqualyn Turfrey, a member of one of the families interviewed by ABC Sport and for the Hawthorn review said she had been caught unawares by the announcement.

A member of another of the Hawthorn families said: "Nobody from the AFL has communicated with us at all on anything".

She said her family had also been rocked by media reports claiming that former Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson, who has denied allegations against him, may commence his coaching duties at North Melbourne before the completion of the investigation.

This seems prescient:

https://amp.abc.net.au/article/12825394

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

While I'm sure a significantly larger shift in culture for First Nations students, those statements apply for any student...

Are these the larger cultural shifts you mean? Or applying to any student?

From the article:

‘Examples include staff presuming that a student had special learning needs, despite evidence to the contrary. One young woman was top of her class but required to attend supplementary English as a Second Language lessons with the overseas students. Today she is a doctor. Young men reported being banned from speaking in their home languages at school or in the boarding house.

Another was told that their family of origin was a “dead loss” and that the school family who mentored them should be their family now. Two young women explained how humiliated they felt when a poster was fixed to the bathroom wall telling them how, and how often, to wash themselves’

  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Are these the larger cultural shifts you mean? Or applying to any student?

From the article:

‘Examples include staff presuming that a student had special learning needs, despite evidence to the contrary. One young woman was top of her class but required to attend supplementary English as a Second Language lessons with the overseas students. Today she is a doctor. Young men reported being banned from speaking in their home languages at school or in the boarding house.

Another was told that their family of origin was a “dead loss” and that the school family who mentored them should be their family now. Two young women explained how humiliated they felt when a poster was fixed to the bathroom wall telling them how, and how often, to wash themselves’

Bobo , I have taught aboriginal (Koorie was the accepted term then)kids  in both high schools and KODE schools. I have life examples of every point in that article that both support it and deny it.

High horsed support of the oppressed Koorie kid is just as irrelevant as higher horsed support of the notion that Koorie kids fail despite all the help they are given

There are no solutions that fit all cases. 

In my experience, the notion of family or kin is far more important than the notion of being black or Koorie or aboriginal. This of course complicates the matter even further.

My point is, avoid generalisations, the matter is far more complex.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Bobo , I have taught aboriginal (Koorie was the accepted term then)kids  in both high schools and KODE schools. I have life examples of every point in that article that both support it and deny it.

High horsed support of the oppressed Koorie kid is just as irrelevant as higher horsed support of the notion that Koorie kids fail despite all the help they are given

There are no solutions that fit all cases. 

In my experience, the notion of family or kin is far more important than the notion of being black or Koorie or aboriginal. This of course complicates the matter even further.

My point is, avoid generalisations, the matter is far more complex.

Ok no worries, thanks for the comment Bitter.

I do try to avoid generalisations and sincerely take on advice to avoid generalisations when I’m explicitly or implicitly making generalisations which I’ll own up too. 

Always open to that, I don’t know everything (or really anything truth be told). 
 

I’m asking Mullet to justify his overtly generalised comment in account of the specific claims (not general claims which you’ve stated for me to keep away from) made in the article that ‘those statements apply for any student’.

Given that:

 

Indigenous kids being ‘banned’ from speaking their home language seems pretty strange considering I’d hazard a guess that people from Italy, Spain, Indonesia, China, Nigeria, French Canada etc. etc. etc. probably aren’t being told the same thing. 
 

So that’s weird considering they live here and unless speaking a language apart from Australian English is outlawed, that’s a strange thing to ‘ban’.
 

I also wonder how many non-indigenous, economically wealthy (considering it’s a boarding school) people were told their family of origin was a ‘dead loss’ and that the school family that mentored them was their family now. 
 

That’s literally cult behaviour which I’m sure you would agree.

 

Don’t feel like I need to engage with the whole how to and how much you should wash. 

 

But all that is by the by really. 
 

What I really want to know is considering you are against generalisations (which I asserted none), why didn’t you aim the ‘don’t make generalisations’ point to the commenter who made blatant generalisations against specific claims made in the article that he didn’t read, but to my reply??

 

Why would you aim the ‘don’t generalise’ comment to the person that is asking another poster to not generalise?

I’m sincerely not implying anything further than, if you don’t want people to generalise, then why are you aiming that at me in this situation? I’m trying to clarify Mullets overt generalisation?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    TRAINING: Monday 30th January 2023

    NO SHOWS JACK VINEY, MATT JEFFERSON, CHRISTIAN SALEM. Also Did not see ADAM TOMLINSON  INJURIES MODIFIED DUTIES MAX, JOEL SMITH, ANB, AMW,( NO 47 Not sure who ) and during training CLARRY ( More on this latter)  SKILLS , DRILLS AND MANOUVERS After warm ups and Run Throughs, players broke of into 3 Groups doing a variety of Close in Handball through traffic to hit clean target with players pressuring. One on one groundhog day ground ball gets Teles

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 25th January 2023

    Rehab Group: Lever (in runners but kicking the ball well and seems to be moving well), Max (not present), Melksham, Howes, AMW, J Smith - then later joined by the following not participating in contract drills/Match SIM - Brown, Spargo, D Turner, Verrall, Adams  Stafford was out early with Grundy & Verrall doing ruck drills.  White Guernseys: May, Bowey, Trac, JVR, Rivers, Sestan, Nibbler, Kozzie, Grundy, Hunter, Harmes, Fritsch, Laurie, Jordon, K Turner, #46 (may be Coop

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 23rd January 2023

    WIZARD333'S TRAINING REPORT I went down and it was locked out for first hour but could see through fence then allowed in. Max Gawn ran laps — it looks like a 3 to 4 week injury. Andy Moniz-Wakefield ran laps. Blake Howes was taken off late as was on restricted minutes. Adam Tomlinson loudest on track and a leader - surprised me but won't be in best 25. Jake Lever on bike and walking up n down stairs, yelling out as he does. Melky copped a niggle so ran laps but

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 20th January 2023

    TOUGH KENT'S TRAINING REPORT I journeyed out to Casey today and was fortunate enough to watch two quarters of match simulation. Here is a brief rundown of random occurrences/thoughts. First of all, there was no Jake Lever (ankle) or Joel Smith involved. AMW is still in rehab and was running strongly. It was Blue (Probables) v Red (Possibles) JvR was in blue. Ben Brown, T-Mac, Hibbo and Tom Sparrow were in red. Gus Brayshaw started at half back for blue and stayed there all game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 18th January 2023

    DEE ZEPHYR'S TRAINING REPORT Morning all. First time at Goschs for a while, there’s a scoreboard set up which I’ve never seen here before. Possible match sim? Williams yelling out to players to get their hands off hips during drills. Gus looks fine to me. Absolutely., first two mins of match sim and his kicking is exquisite on both sides. He’s moving incredibly well.  Some observations from a match sim drill that lasted about 15-20 mins. The purpose se

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 16th January 2023

    STINGA'S TRAINING REPORT Went with a friend to watch training this morning.  They have 3 sets of temporary grandstands set up next to the rooms for spectators and get a good view of everything. Fritsch was the only absentee and J Smith was on the bike for the whole session. Everyone in their own numbers except JVR in 44,   Kye Turner is 47 and Burgoyne 33. Started off with goal kicking which has been described before. Then an agility routine where where they ducked aroun

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Friday 13th January 2023

    REDLEGS23'S TRAINING REPORT Got to training about 9:50 & headed off by 11:30. Rehab / Light Drills: • Jed Adams • Kyah Farris-White • Will Varrall • I think i spotted Joel Smith, but could be wrong. The above doing light drills. Andy Moniz-Wakefield & Trent Burgoyne doing seperate laps / runs for the whole session. James Harmes, Angus Brayshaw & Steven May all started with the main group but then progressed to light duties / laps for the remainder of th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Wednesday 11th January 2023

    WAYNE WUSSELL'S TRAINING REPORT Haven’t noticed Oliver, Petracca and Hunter, just about everyone else accounted for. Petracca here! J Smith striding out in rehab. BB taking lots of shots on goal after session marking in goal square v Stafford Younger players tending to float short passes to leading forward (D Smith, 33, 39, KF-S) while Petracca, Viney, Kossie, ANB shoot hard and low bullets Harmes, Verall, & Adams doing agility, ball handling JVR stand out in te

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports

    TRAINING: Monday 9th January 2023

    DEESPENCER'S TRAINING REPORT The 4 unsighted Kozzy, Petty, Hunter and Oliver . Lots of players in different numbers making it confusing. Brayshaw mostly doing some kick to kick and repeat jogging with Adams and Verrell. May and Harmes were in more drills then pulled out for light stuff. Burgoyne, Deak and Joel Smith on light duties. Joel did some solid repeat sprints. AMW on the watt bike. For a solid period they split in to 3 groups. Group A did a drill from the half fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Training Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...