Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Hawks Review Reveals Shock Allegations Against Former Coaches


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, BoBo said:

Interesting statement. 
 

’However, as the allegations against me have been spread widely and sometimes as indisputable matters of facts,  I must state that my clear memory of the matters reported is very different’


So it’s not categorical denial that the matters occurred at all, it’s going to be about the character of what was said in so far as what was implied and what was inferred. 

If it straight up didn’t happen, he would come out and categorically deny the allegations. 

Yeah, I think we all hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle so that we understand the reaction and the bad blood but that we can see some humanity in people that are at the centre of this…

Such a depressing mess.

And again, well done to the club that had this culture that has waited to better itself so it only ruins 3 other clubs and head office. Hawthorn is a disgrace of a club.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Entire saga is quite disturbing and deeply concerning. 

Unfortunately (as in, I wish my mind did not jump to a judgement), my immediate reaction is that there probably a reasonable degree of truth in the accusations. Without getting into any incriminating specifics, having had some dealings with the AFL I was often left very unimpressed and at times puzzled by their decision making, governance (or lack thereof), strongarm tactics and incompetence. So when these types of stories come out, I am more inclined to believe them. 

That said, I also think it is likely that the accusers and accusees have different interpretations of what occurred. I'd like to think whatever guidance the coaches and development managers provided to these players was at least intended to be in their best interest and either became a bit of an overreach, poorly communicated or misconstrued for its intent. 

Many of us would have often had to give some tough guidance to young mates when a girlfriend, location or other factor was clearly working against them and not in their best interest. I hope that is where this came from - notwithstanding it is inappropriate for an employer to be giving this guidance (or direction) directly rather than through an accredited, independent third party without a vested interest in the performance outcome. Clearly there are reasonable limits to this though which appear to have been walked past if these allegations are true. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, I think we all hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle so that we understand the reaction and the bad blood but that we can see some humanity in people that are at the centre of this…

Such a depressing mess.

And again, well done to the club that had this culture that has waited to better itself so it only ruins 3 other clubs and head office. Hawthorn is a disgrace of a club.

I don’t know if I hope the truth is anywhere on a scale leaning one way or the other to be honest. Remaining as disinterested as I can until the report and investigation findings  are released to be objective with what’s in front of me. 

Edited by BoBo
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

By "aboriginal members" do you mean anyone of aboriginal descent?

In line with current usage, it refers to anyone who identifies as aboriginal and is accepted as aboriginal by other aboriginals.

Can be very broadly interpreted.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

Entire saga is quite disturbing and deeply concerning. 

Unfortunately (as in, I wish my mind did not jump to a judgement), my immediate reaction is that there probably a reasonable degree of truth in the accusations. Without getting into any incriminating specifics, having had some dealings with the AFL I was often left very unimpressed and at times puzzled by their decision making, governance (or lack thereof), strongarm tactics and incompetence. So when these types of stories come out, I am more inclined to believe them. 

That said, I also think it is likely that the accusers and accusees have different interpretations of what occurred. I'd like to think whatever guidance the coaches and development managers provided to these players was at least intended to be in their best interest and either became a bit of an overreach, poorly communicated or misconstrued for its intent. 

Many of us would have often had to give some tough guidance to young mates when a girlfriend, location or other factor was clearly working against them and not in their best interest. I hope that is where this came from - notwithstanding it is inappropriate for an employer to be giving this guidance (or direction) directly rather than through an accredited, independent third party without a vested interest in the performance outcome. Clearly there are reasonable limits to this though which appear to have been walked past if these allegations are true. 

The august AFL? Hard to believe.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BoBo said:

Interesting statement. 
 

’However, as the allegations against me have been spread widely and sometimes as indisputable matters of facts,  I must state that my clear memory of the matters reported is very different’


So it’s not categorical denial that the matters occurred at all, it’s going to be about the character of what was said in so far as what was implied and what was inferred. 

If it straight up didn’t happen, he would come out and categorically deny the allegations. 

It really comes down to an issue of control/power. What do I see as the best course for player x that will see the best outcome for the Club and I (the person in control/power)? Then dress that behavior up as "this will be great/good for player x and then talk in we language. "We had the best intentions to help player x achieve success".

You don't need to go very far to see similar behaviors in the likes of the Military, Police and other organizations.

They will try and spin this but this is master vs slave stuff. Although this is now historical and perhaps the perpetrators have changed their ways. This still needs to be called out and reparations need to be made. Regardless of who is held responsible, from what I've read it's clear harm has been done. The first defence is deny, deny, deny. That will only make things worse. At the very least, an acknowledgement of the harm done should be made, even without an admission of guilt. Those being accused at the moment are more interested in trying to make themselves look like victims and that's not going to fly.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You would have found him not guilty if you were on a Jury?

But your personal belief deep down was that he was guilty of the crime…

ok

I'm good with that, beyond reasonable doubt means overuling emotion, tough to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dworship said:

Those being accused at the moment are more interested in trying to make themselves look like victims and that's not going to fly.

There is still a significant portion of Australians that deny racism exists outside of  explicitly calling people racial slurs. 
 

On top of that, there’s a smaller segment that want to propagate and perpetuate racism because… well… they’re just racist and they want to hold onto that apparently. 
 

People still defend Andrew Bolt for example even though he peddles anti-genocide rhetoric in the biggest newspaper in the country.

Even if the allegations are proven to be 100 % correct on the weight of things, I have learned to never underestimate people’s ability to deny racist intent.
 

People will then just say ‘ok yes those things happened, but it’s an isolated incident, this definitely isn’t an example of a larger trend and we definitely shouldn’t extrapolate this ‘isolated’ incident to larger societal/historical trends blah blah blah’ 
 

 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, rpfc said:

Yeah, I think we all hope that the truth is somewhere in the middle so that we understand the reaction and the bad blood but that we can see some humanity in people that are at the centre of this…

Such a depressing mess.

And again, well done to the club that had this culture that has waited to better itself so it only ruins 3 other clubs and head office. Hawthorn is a disgrace of a club.

Total amateur hour, I had so much respect for this football club and the way they went about it. This is just looking worse by the day and those comments from Newbold regarding not seeing/sending emails or taking any responsibility are just pathetic quite frankly.

When Jarryd Roughead had the second bout of cancer I was so envious of the way they rallied around him and I remember thinking in general how much I wanted our club to be like theirs. It's funny how things change and aren't what they seem. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

Total amateur hour, I had so much respect for this football club and the way they went about it. This is just looking worse by the day and those comments from Newbold regarding not seeing/sending emails or taking any responsibility are just pathetic quite frankly.

When Jarryd Roughead had the second bout of cancer I was so envious of the way they rallied around him and I remember thinking in general how much I wanted our club to be like theirs. It's funny how things change and aren't what they seem. 

Yes, and how a culture can fester even when it is winning, sometimes because it is winning.

They need to stop litigating this in the press; but that email response from the Prez to that person in pain was heartless and hopeless.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Redlagged said:

I heard Caroline Wilson on the radio saying that "everyone is knows" the identity of the whistleblowing Hawthorn assistant coach. I don't.

There wouldn't have been many assistant coaches during the time the report covers.  Process of elimination for those who knew them and then the name spreads like wildfire among the media.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, tiers said:

In line with current usage, it refers to anyone who identifies as aboriginal and is accepted as aboriginal by other aboriginals.

Can be very broadly interpreted.

OK, so extrapolating from that we have to exclude any indigenous person because of a perceived bias or conflict of interest we will also have to exclude anyone of anglo-celtic heritage because of a perceived bias or conflict of interest.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

OK, so extrapolating from that we have to exclude any indigenous person because of a perceived bias or conflict of interest we will also have to exclude anyone of anglo-celtic heritage because of a perceived bias or conflict of interest.

It’s only fair 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...