• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview  

• Podcast: Jason Taylor Interview 

Why does the media continue to use illness as an excuse for Geelong’s Prelim final loss in 2021?

At the break of Gawn

I’ve seen at least 3 journos cite the illness that ran through the Geelong camp in the days prior to the 2021 prelim final as a reason they lost that match. It honestly makes me angry about the amount of disrespect they’ve shown towards Melbourne and how good we were that night. What annoys me most is that several Geelong players have brushed off the excuse but the media keeps bringing it up and they almost use Geelong’s 2022 form as a form of validation. 

Here is another article on it written by Daniel Cherney who I consider one of the better ones out there.

The tweet accompanying this article reads “Last year, illness halted Geelong’s Grand Final hopes. 12 months on, they have made up for that misfortune “.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/geelong/geelong-poised-to-overcome-lingering-pain-of-last-years-83point-preliminary-final-defeat-to-melbourne/news-story/9fdd557b12b3fbed77dafcf16ed5a9e9

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

4 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

I’ve seen at least 3 journos cite the illness that ran through the Geelong camp in the days prior to the 2021 prelim final as a reason they lost that match. It honestly makes me angry about the amount of disrespect they’ve shown towards Melbourne and how good we were that night. What annoys me most is that several Geelong players have brushed off the excuse but the media keeps bringing it up and they almost use Geelong’s 2022 form as a form of validation. 

Here is another article on it written by Daniel Cherney who I consider one of the better ones out there.

The tweet accompanying this article reads “Last year, illness halted Geelong’s Grand Final hopes. 12 months on, they have made up for that misfortune “.

https://www.codesports.com.au/afl/geelong/geelong-poised-to-overcome-lingering-pain-of-last-years-83point-preliminary-final-defeat-to-melbourne/news-story/9fdd557b12b3fbed77dafcf16ed5a9e9

It’s true. They first caught it in the final quarter of round 23. And only rears it’s head when heat was applied. 

Edited by Megatron
  • Haha 7

6 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Why? Maybe because it was true. It's also irrelevant. Geelong's performance this year, just like ours and every other team in the competition, has nothing at all to do with last year's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Why? Maybe because it was true. It's also irrelevant. Geelong's performance this year, just like ours and every other team in the competition, has nothing at all to do with last year's.

So you’re happy to discount one of Melbourne’s best on-field performance in 60 years and just chalk it up to the opposition being under the weather?

24 minutes ago, At the break of Gawn said:

So you’re happy to discount one of Melbourne’s best on-field performance in 60 years and just chalk it up to the opposition being under the weather?

To be frank, I don't care. There was only one performance that mattered last year. How we got to play in the GF is neither here nor there.

• Like 2

We beat them twice in 3 games, 3 times for the season and our closest final was a 6 goal victory.  It was the most comprehensive premiership since 2007.  Gastro or not, they were never beating us that night.

Edited by Swooper1987
  • Like 8

I reckon there was a few sick blokes looking around each other trying to find out who was supposed to pick up Premiership Captain and all round player extraodinaire  Max in the Forward line at the bell.

History gets rewritten by the media to suit the narrative all the time. Before last year 2018 Melbourne was the blip on the radar instead of 2019/2020 being the set back we needed. I'm guessing if we win next year this year will ge seen as the year we got our program wrong instead of Geelong being the dominat team.

• Like 3

What about Peter Goyder’s call out to Joel Selwoods in his finals appearances record right before awarding Cripps the Brownlow.   

This guy is head of the AFL board. Completely unprofessional and you wonder why we continue with the inequalities in football when you have nuggets like this calling the shots. 

• Thanks 3
  • Vomit 1

15 minutes ago, CYB said:

What about Peter Goyder’s call out to Joel Selwoods in his finals appearances record right before awarding Cripps the Brownlow.   

This guy is head of the AFL board. Completely unprofessional and you wonder why we continue with the inequalities in football when you have nuggets like this calling the shots. 

Richard Goyder.

While there's nothing wrong with lauding Joel Selwood's achievement, it did seem to be inappropriate to mention it at that time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, At the break of Gawn said:

Maybe Brisbane in the QF, and Footscray in the GF were also unwell, and of course Geelong themselves in the last half of R 23 2021