Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY: Grand Final vs Southport

WERRIDEE

18 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Watched this game yesterday but now I wondering if it was a dream. Not a mention in The Hun today. 

Or on the Melbournefc web site???

The ways of the media never cease to amaze me. Today there is nothing in the HUN about the VFL GF. Now this is supposed to be the second best competition of Aussie rules. However the girls game has pages devoted to it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, DeeZone said:

Or on the Melbournefc web site???

Nothing on the MFC website at all.

More AFLW and Brownlow content and barely a mention of a the premiership team.

Really [censored] poor to be honest.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Brilliant performance by the Casey Demons yesterday and across the entire season, and they are much deserved premiers for 2022. So happy for Mitch White & Jimmy Munro in particular, these are the types of people that great football clubs are built around.

It was great to see the likes of Dunstan, Chandler, Brown, Tomlinson and Weideman continuing to put their heart and soul into their performances at Casey, despite the lack of senior opportunities provided this year. Rewarding strong performers at VFL level is something that has to improve in 2023. Melksham's effort upon returning to the side was first rate.

Van Rooyen, Turner and Woewodin look really good prospects for 2023 and beyond, and hopefully they get plenty of opportunities to step up. I'm less enthused about Laurie, Rosman, Howes, McVie and Moniz-Wakefield. These guys still look a long way off being able to impact at VFL level, let alone step up to AFL level.

Hopefully we draft some midfielders this year, because the depth below Dunstan is non-existent, and he clearly isn't in Goodwin's plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Watched the game from home was very impressed with the Sharks skill level and size they came out of the blocks hard and fast, pretty decent skill levels as well. I thought we might be in a bit of trouble but loved the way our Casey boys worked their way back into the game White and Munro were enormous, Dunstan, Chandler, Bedford, Baker and Weid played huge games. Thommo, Turner, Smith we’re strong in defence, Melksham, Brown, JVR and Woewodin all chipped in in the forward line. A great team effort and very deserved and satisfying win after being the best team all year, I might add very well coached as well. I might add very well supported as well and how good was it to see all senior players, coaches and Former champs in the crowd. Special thanks to KC, Werridee and all posters who are able to attend games and keep us informed, particularly from the Casey side re players, etc.❤️💙💕

• Like 13
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

Boakye is ex gc17 academy

will be 24 at the start of the 2023 season so good luck to him getting a go again in the afl

Thanks. Maybe he’s a late developer (did he grow up in traditional AFL youth pathways). Looked very capable and ticks many boxes in my view.  Small to mid size defender. Solid. Fast. Good skills. Long left foot kick.  
I admit it’s unlikely to grab him as a rookie pick but have to remember the Kane Lambert-Mihocek-Hind type examples where players are 22/23yo, playing very good VFL footy and can transition quickly. 

• Like 3

Chandler played well all season and will be an AFL player if he can get strong enough.

Turner looks like he could take the next step, which could give us the option to play Petty forward.

I though Smith was average yesterday but he has such great athleticism that I want to see him given the chance to take Hibberd's spot.

Van Rooyen will be a very good AFL player.

Howes had a very quiet grand final but I have seen a lot of the VFL this year and I reckon he is very classy. I would like to see him become stronger and it would be nice to see a bit more desperation at times.

Woewodin looks classy but will need to be very strong to play AFL given his pace is average.

Laurie does not show enough AFL traits for mine. He is a very clever and skilled player but lacks pace and size. I think Spargo will be better.

Bedford was good, but I like Chandler more.

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Monbon said:

A good pre-season may alter that...

Yes amazing how a full season AFTER an ACL many players are so different in their confidence and  movements. Let's just wait and see as Tommo has another year on contract I believe. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did.

For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful players backed by a couple of hardened veterans of the competition right down to the sodden ground.

Both during and after the deluge, the Sharks struggled. They were held to a mere two goals after quarter time while the Demons piled on eight to march away with the flag to the tune of 38 points.

In truth, the Casey Demons would most likely have won in any weather conditions as they demonstrated throughout 2022 when they won 20 out of 21 games played, ironically losing their only match in balmy South East Queensland to the Brisbane Lions a month ago. 

But they were never going to lose this one. 

For starters, they were a team replete with 16 AFL-listed players of varying levels of experience and size backed up by two lion-hearted hard nosed performers in captain Mitch White and the brutal hard-tackling Jimmy Munro in the midfield. 

Both the skipper and the trusty Munro have been at the wheel in previous unsuccessful premiership campaigns but played in losing grand finals in 2016 and 2018. On Sunday, they were indefatigable in their attack on the ball and their opponents. White (29 disposals, 13 tackles) was a fitting recipient of the Norm Goss Memorial Medal for the best afield in the VFL grand final while Jimmy Munro was close behind with 21 touches including a goal plus an incredible 17 tackles. With those tackle counts,  they wore down the solid-mature bodied Southport outfit and allowed players of the calibre of Luke Dunstan, Toby Bedford, Kade Chandler and Oskar Baker to create enough regular forward thrusts to break the game apart.

In the end, it was the brilliance up forward of Jake Melksham who kicked the opening goal to add three more in the final term to ice up the game. Mitch Brown was another experienced hand up forward who contributed a couple of goals.

Premierships are rarely won without having a superb defence and here, Casey excelled through the agency of Adam Tomlinson, Joel Smith, Daniel Turner, Matt Buntine, Corey Ellison and rookie Judd McVee. They were certainly helped by the conditions but, after the first break they were so miserly that they hardly let the wind and rain through and warmed the hearts of coach Mark Corrigan and the fans. 

Special mention needs to be made of the continuing emergence of Sam Weideman as a ruckman. He held his own against a much bigger opponent and his mobility around the ground was crucial to Casey’s effort in denying the Sharks the first use of the football.

Although they weren’t prolific ball winners on the day, the likes of Jacob Van Rooyen, Taj Woewodin and Bailey Laurie all showed enough to suggest that there’s a lot more in store for the Demons from players of their calibre. 

And there ended a brilliant season from the Casey Demons with the first flag under the new banner of a century old club. Long may they reign.

CASEY DEMONS 2.2.14 4.5.29 6.8.44 10.10.70

SOUTHPORT SHARKS 3.3.21 3.5.23 4.5.29 5.8.38

Goals

Casey Demons Melksham 4 Brown 2 Bedford Laurie Munro Woewodin

Southport Sharks Townsend 2 Johnson King Pescud

Best

Casey Demons Bedford Melksham White Munro Dunstan Weideman 

Southport Sharks Woodcock Boakye Joyce Townsend Crossley Manteit

Statistics 

Oskar Baker 1 behind 19 kicks 6 handballs 25 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 82 dream team points
Toby Bedford 1 goal 2 behinds 8 kicks 6 handballs 14 disposals 5 marks 7 tackles 84 dream team points
Mitch Brown 2 goals 1 behind 11 kicks 11 disposals 6 marks 64 dream team points
Matt Buntine 7 kicks 2 handballs 9 disposals 2 marks 35 dream team points
Kade Chandler 12 kicks 11 handballs 23 disposals 8 marks 7 tackles 107 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 24 kicks 7 handballs 31 disposals 4 marks 9 tackles 128 dream team points
Corey Ellison 5 kicks 1 handballs 6 disposals  6 tackles 43 dream team points
George Grey 7 kicks 7 disposals 5 tackles 44 dream team points
Blake Howes 2 kicks 2 handballs 4 disposals 3 tackles 22 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 1 goal 1 behinds 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 45 dream team points
Judd McVee 12 kicks 2 handballs 14 disposals 2 tackles 47 dream team points
Jake Melksham 4 goals 12 kicks 4 handballs 16 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 96 dream team points
Andy Moniz-Wakefield 4 kicks 4 disposals 2 marks 3 tackles 30 dream team points
James Munro 1 goal 14 kicks 7 handballs 21  disposals 3 marks 17 tackles 128 dream team points
Aidan Quigley 2 kicks 1 handballs 3 disposals 2 marks 6 tackles 38 dream team points
Joel Smith 1 behind 10 kicks 2 handballs 12 disposals 2 marks 4 tackles 52 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 14 kicks 5 handballs 19 disposals 3 marks 2 tackles 68 dream team points
Daniel Turner 6 kicks 1 handballs 7 disposals 3  marks 2 tackles 35 dream team points
Ryan Valentine 2 kicks 1 handball 3 disposals 1 mark 1 tackle 5 hit outs 18 dream team points
Jacob Van Rooyen 4 kicks 6 handballs 10 disposals 3 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 41 dream team points
Sam Weideman 12  kicks 6 handballs 18 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 35 hit outs 101 dream team points
Mitch White 24 kicks 5 handballs 29 disposals 3 marks 13 tackles 135 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 1 goal 10 kicks 4 handballs 14 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles 68 dream team points

DD6BB56C-F22B-4587-93A4-AA9E9431C028.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 6

40 minutes ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Interesting that Chandler wasn't in the Casey best. I thought he was really good. Especially when the game was hot and needed to be won.

107 dream team  points. That is a very good score.

• Like 3

Thanks to all the regular posters that have kept us informed about Casey throughout the year.

It's been great watching them play all year and it's also cool that the games were there to stream.

One player not mentioned too much and he had a pretty quiet day is Corey Ellison.

He had a pretty strong season and I reckon could develop into a good defender over the next two years.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2022 at 6:43 PM, Older demon said:

Like so many here, I am pleased that JVR, Turner, Bedford, Chandler and Woewoden all showed their wares and won a VFL flag. My hope is that all of them push for a senior spot next season. Bedford should be putting pressure on Spargo and has some serious wheels. JKVR is the forward you build a team around and Turner is slight but reads the play so well.

I liked Weideman's game and still has time to become a ruckman forward. Wooewoden is so balanced and must have a huge tank as he was everywhere. Chandler was also everywhere and I just hope he can cement a spot in the firsts.

Southport's heavier bodies applied plenty of pressure in appalling conditions making that a meritorious win and well-deserved flag.

I thought The Weed has done really well over the past 6 weeks in the ruck. Full credit to him for really persevering.

The only thing I think that's holding him back is his marking. He's still not clunking those marks like Mitch Brown and JVR usually do.

If he can get his overhead marking sorted, I reckon he's still in the mix on our list.

• Like 9

57 minutes ago, Brownie said:

Thanks to all the regular posters that have kept us informed about Casey throughout the year.

It's been great watching them play all year and it's also cool that the games were there to stream.

One player not mentioned too much and he had a pretty quiet day is Corey Ellison.

He had a pretty strong season and I reckon could develop into a good defender over the next two years.

I think stats wise he was quiet, but did what he had to as a kpd on a horrendus day for talls. Lots of upside.

• Like 2