Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: SF vs Brisbane

Demonland

11 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Langdon would have to have kicked the most out-on-the full balls of any player this year. Would be genuinely interested in that stat.

I rate his overlap run, but like so many of our players, his deficiencies cancel out so much of his good work. Like Petracca with his goal kicking both set shot and on the run.

Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver and Viney need to halve the amount of blind bomb kicks they do both out of centre bounce and around the ground. The amount of opposition turnover scores that result from those kinds of kicks would be of interest me. It absolutely kills me how much composure those guys lack at times. 

Many issues but our unforced errors from so many of our top-liners really kill us and have contributed to our moments of loss of momentum as well as our inability to really put teams to the sword when we've been up in games.

We simply need to add more finishing, composure and kicking skills to our squad. We are too one-dimensional as a midfield and half-forward unit.

Great post JG

What an abomination our kicking was (not always but far too often and especially in both finals) this season.

I'd be going after Gary Ablett Snr as forward line / mid connection coach big time.  We suck here and it's going to cost this club fonals appearances/ wins and potentially any further GF appearances if we don't address it and just try to soldier on.

If you've already suffered enough after Friday night's pi$$ poor result i would not recommend watching the AFL clip below.... 

https://fb.watch/fsT3QvMjSz/

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Absolutely right.  With < 2 minutes left and we had just goaled, within reach of a win no way he would want a stoppage.  Ditto no way he would want to run down the clock and hold up play.  The ump was a bit whistle happy there with the 50m.

He wasn't even tackled properly

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 9:51 AM, dees189227 said:

Anyone watched last year's finals lately and think who the hell is this team. I didn't recognise them. they were exciting to watch, never missed, didn't give away dumb free kicks & 50s and we looked like a well oiled machine.

I hope this is what we get back next year 

I do hope we get these traits next year. However, I also suspect that the competition has risen somewhat from last year - we provided a template of play that was highly effective, particularly in the finals and it has been copied, modified and cloned well by other coaches. Hence, the need for game plan 1(b), 2(a & b) and 3 (a, b & c).

All it really requires is for our coaching staff to understand the needs of - and recognise - our players within those future and variant plans - not sink injured or less-than-physically-fit round pegs into square holes. Building 'team' above all else is going to be critical and will require diverse thought, advice and manipulation to effect successfully but that is what coaching staff (including the head coach) are paid so well to do, isn't it?

After all, members and supporters, it's your money being expended so casually to elicit 'former' successes in the next round, so you have the right to question the disappointing ground exhibited in the 2002 season. 

If we can Grand Final our team two years out of three, then I will be happy. If we can achieve two Premierships in that timeframe, we would all be wetting ourselves with joy. 

At this point, it's over to you, Goody. Seriously.

• Thanks 1

On 9/10/2022 at 10:15 AM, layzie said:

Ok here we go. It's been 3 hours, enough time to get all the crap out of our system.

Edit: Fell asleep and only just posted now.

It was approximately 1 week and 6 hours ago that we were on the eve of a finals series with our flag hopes still relatively high. Oh, how, the, mighty, have, fallen!

10-0 to start the season, top 4 for a lot of the year, top 2 for a lot of the year and have bowed out in straight sets. There's no way around it, this is crap. Injuries took their toll, we were behind the 8 ball when guys like Lever played the whole year through the pain barrier. 

Still can't get the head around it, it's a joke. The loading theory is dead, we wasted so much time talking about it and come finals time we looked like pi** fitness wise. Running on top of the ground my foot, what a let down. 

All the people last week who celebrated when Brisbane won because it meant we had a 'guaranteed prelim' hang your heads in shame. Nothing more that you can say on that but you gotta wear that. 

Very hard to summarise the feeling right now. Third top 4 finish under a top 8 system and we've managed to tick off the straight sets exit off the bucket list. Yay. Nothing more to add right now. 

Reality has stomped on the dreams we held.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, loges said:

Why did our pressure rating drop from one of the best to one of the worst.

This.  I need an answer.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

We simply need to add more finishing, composure and kicking skills to our squad.

Also this (bolding mine).  Composure with the ball forward of centre.  I've been crying tears of anger about this for months.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, IRW said:

She butchered the song and was mentioned in a semi pun  re Goodren/ Goodwin/ Delta.

My response ( I wanted to reference how awful she is) was meant to respond to that post.

My " bad" .Very confusing.

Why is she so bad? 

If you can't sing " tonal" then at least be musical enough to know your limitations and sing the dreary song straight and let us get on to the reason we're at the footy. 

It's got nothing to do with nationhood btw

So to see how it is done can you put up a version of the song that you sang?

6 hours ago, Demons1858 said:

Noticed this straight after half time https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/11/melbournes-costly-tactical-change-that-lit-the-fuse-for-brisbanes-comeback/ why wouldn't you go to harmes if for some reason brayshaw can't, very costly

I would have thought so. Maybe they wanted Harmes to keep holding the width with his running capacity.

23 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

Terrible decision. As soon as he got a few touches after half time he sparked Bris. Even then the coaches still had a chance to make a chance

Makes you wonder what the sillier thing to do was: Richmond not putting anyone on Neale or us taking our good guy off him?

We, the coaching staff, players and fans have learnt some very hard lessons. 

1. Other teams/coaches are smart, they will spend a lot of time thinking about how to improve & beat the best team

2. It's a long, long season, chances to rest and refresh your players need to be taken 

3. Injured players, even out and out superstars, are still injured. And...they may offer more than a fitter seconds player, some or most of the time. But, in a close, physical game and particularly late in quarters the risk they present will show 

4. It's bloody hard to win one, let alone 2 in a row. Our second half of the season was 6 wins, 8 losses. That's where we start at R1 2023. If we recognise this and act, we'll be top 4 again. If we don't we're toast! 

On 9/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Frosticles said:

This.  I need an answer.

Too many injured players. 

• Salem, Lever, Brown on one leg most of the season. 
  • Gawn proppy often. 
  • Oliver, Viney exhausted by September
  • Petracca clearly broken

No use of our depth, no debutants putting pressure on the senior players for spots, and hence no energy from youngsters trying to make a point when they get the chance (Bowey, Rivers, Sparrow, Jackson great examples of this in 2021) 

• Like 3

On 9/11/2022 at 1:49 PM, Frosticles said:

This.  I need an answer.

Hunger.

The group were so invested last year in producing something special.

This year it's over to the Collingwood's, Geelong's and Sydney's of the league who are going that extra mile in the pressure stakes because they want it a bit more than us, and they feel as though their time is now.

This is where I admire Richmond, Hawthorn and Brisbane for somehow achieving back to back when they would've had a bunch of hungry clubs chasing them.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 8:54 PM, everythingsablur said:

Saw this coming after the Sydney loss so I've been mentally prepared the whole week. Still gutted.

It's been said a hundred times but it all comes down to one word - fitness.

As frustrating as the game plan is to watch, if they execute it with elite fitness and mental buy-in then we would have won every game including this one. This is what Goody is counting on.

The problem is firmly with Selwyn Griffith. Despite him following in Burgess' footsteps, I've heard he has absolutely smashed them this year and it shows. He is also clearly missing the mental fitness edge too. Hopefully he learns from this and fast.

Bring on 23!

I think that's true .. they said early days he was running them " harder " aka over training them  it sports medicine 101 which is actually  little troubling .

But lack of plan B and game flexibilitu and was a greater problem .

Ask the players and the coaching unit what they really feel about how our Club was treated this year.

From the kickoff regarding new rule interpretations to the draw in the second half and the continued lack of consideration with our ball players. No doubt in my mind I am not alone here, and when you throw in a rabid media intent on putting down at every turn everything concerned with the Club including hate filled reports by nitwits...well

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Hunger.

The group were so invested last year in producing something special.

This year it's over to the Collingwood's, Geelong's and Sydney's of the league who are going that extra mile in the pressure stakes because they want it a bit more than us, and they feel as though their time is now.

This is where I admire Richmond, Hawthorn and Brisbane for somehow achieving back to back when they would've had a bunch of hungry clubs chasing them.

For pedants sake.

Not back to back after their first... and Brisbane is 20+ years ago now...  😇

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

For pedants sake.

Not back to back after their first... and Brisbane is 20+ years ago now...  😇

Footy had undergone an incredible transformation since the lions three peat.

It's incredible how taxing it is now, how intense the pressure is, and above all how much high intensity running ALL players have to do now.

I suspect those factors, combined with tbe harder draw the gf winner cops, mean it will be harder than ever to go back to back now.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Lady luck smiled on Richmond.

• 2017 played Adelaide who were already under the influence of the wacky leadership gurus and believed in the magic of the 'power stance'.
  • 2019 played a banged up and depleted GWS who never got out of the starting blocks
  • 2020, their back-to-back year was from a covid hub they rarely left, after 16 H&A games and shortened quarters vs Geelong who stopped at half time.

Of course they could only beat who they were up against and they did that convincingly.  But I'm not sure they were really challenged during those finals campaigns.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 3

After disappointing losses, most of my friends say they don't watch the replay.

I think that must be true of most Demonlanders, or there'd be more comments on the rotten treatment we got from the maggots in Q4.

The McStay free against Petty that put them in front for the first time at the 90 min mark.....yes, he grabbed the jumper momentarily, but it was nothing compared to the treatment Brown suffers every forward entry.

The Bailey mark for the goal to put them 14 up. A definite push in the back to Hunt.

The Bailey goal which may have hit the post. The goal umpire was looking at the line to see if the ball had crossed it before it was kicked. He didn't look up at all.  How could it be "umpire's call" when he wasn't even looking at it???  ok, ARC didn't reveal a post touch, but it was given a goal for incorrect reason.

The non-free for HTB against Berry at our 45m mark when we 7 points down with 2 min to go.

The 50m against Kozzie in the forward pocket, when the ump said he had to give him 9metres. He should have told him exactly where the mark was, and said "stand" then.  That didn't directly result in a goal, but it got Bris. out of trouble when it was desperately close to our goal.

Overall in the match, 6 frees inside 50 to them, and 1 to us.

Have I missed other posters' comments on this, or has everyone just forgotten and not watched the replay.?

It's frustrating to watch, but should give us hope for 2023 , since we could easily have won, despite how brilliant the media say the Lions were, and how "banged up" we're alleged to be.

Also, Kozzie missed 2 sitters by trying 2 check-side kicks to an open goal in Q4, when a normal kick would have been a routine goal.

Edited by Jumping Jack Clennett
typo
  • Like 5
  • Love 1