Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES 2022

Gorgoroth

52 minutes ago, old dee said:

I was joking km. 

Oops, didn't see the tongue in cheek.

Changes for 2023.

Perhaps play all home games at Casey, we will get into most future final series, and then argue for home finals out there. (Tongue in cheek)

Edited by kev martin
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, kev martin said:

He was down at both open training sessions.

Fair enough. I was just conscious of he was about the last person/thing to apportion blame to. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, kev martin said:

Oops, didn't see the tongue in cheek.

Changes for 2023.

Perhaps play all home games at Casey, we will get into most future final series, and then argue for home finals out there. (Tongue in cheek)

Why not the cats have been doing that for decades. All we need is to get the government to gives us100 mill. Good chance in a labour area. I reckon there is a much higher chance than near the G.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FF:  Fritsch  Brown  Picket

HF:   Chandler  T-Mac  Harmes

C:  Langdon  Viney  Jordon

HB:  Salem  Petty  Lever

FB:  Bowie  May  Rivers

Foll:  Gawn  Oliver  Petracca

Int:  Brayshaw  JVR  Sparrow  Spargo

Emg:  Bedford  Dunstan  Tomlinson  Turner

Out:  Melksham(retire?), Hibberd(retire?), Baker(Delisted), Jackson(Freo), M. Brown(retire?)

Allow them to look for a trade:  Weidemen, Hunt, ANB, Bedford, 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

I want to see an injection of players who possess genuine finishing, composure and goal kicking in our forwardline next year. Even if it means it's at the expense of a couple of mainstayers like ANB.

The thought of Joel Smith getting regular minutes up forward is also nightmarish imo.

We need to completely reset and rejig the forwardline next year and reshuffle some midfield spots if we want a threatening side all over the field.

Fairly confident Smith was only used forward because of lack of medium/tall options with McDonald out. He’s just as scary down back but we do need that ready made mid sized defensive depth especially if Hibbo retires and Hunt leaves.

ANB’s a tricky one because his effort is undeniable but his ball use, particularly in traffic can be horrific. But I’d also say when we moved the ball really well in 2021 ANB used the ball more than well enough. So maybe if we fix the upfield stuff and get the ball to Nibbler hard running in space he’ll find targets. Especially if the key forwards are much improved. 

Is ANB, Harmes, Sparrow, Spargo too defensive a midfield rotation/half forward group? Potentially. But who else is available? We haven’t been linked to any upgrades. Bedford probably leaves. Chandler might get a look but I’m underwhelmed and then it’s the other kids on the list. 

• Like 1

Midfield rotations and more run and skill through the mids and half backs have to be big addition. And of course key forwards. 

FB: Petty May Xxxxx
HB: Rivers  Lever  Bowey
C; xxxx  Salem  Langdon
HF: xxxxx McDonald  Viney
FF: Fritsch JVR Pickett
Foll: Gawn Petracca Oliver 
Int: Harmes, Sparrow xxxxx, xxxxx

Back pocket: Hibbo, Hunt, J Smith
Back flank/mid: ???, Brayshaw, Hunt 
Wing: Brayshaw, JJ, Howes
Half forward: Spargo, ANB, Chandler
Ruck/forward: ????, Petty (Turner back), Ben Brown

If we take a page from the pies playbook and rotate a mid through half back then Salem is an option. That gives us some badly needed skill on ball too. Of course that then means we need another quick skilful defender. 

Similarly we can then rotate a mid through half forward more often which takes the load off the big 3. 

I don’t mean to be a downer because they might improve quickly but I think we need to be realistic about our young players outside the best 22 apart from JVR. They struggle to regularly impact at Casey so are unlikely to leap in to the side in 1 summer. Every mature player we lose in this trade period might need a mature replacement even if it’s a dice role on delisted or state league types. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeeZee said:

We need to change things up quite a bit.

Better forward targets in Van Rooyen and TMac, but we also need X factor in guys like Monic Wakefield who impressed me this year.

Throw in J. Smith and the forward line starts to look dangerous with Fritsch and Kozzie as well.

Outs are Spargo, ANB and Brown Melksham

Petty and Smith could be interchangeable forwards/backs when we need to change something up.

Rivers and Hunt for Bedford and Chandler , and I’d play Brayshaw on the wing or down back.

Bowey as the other half back option.

Finally if we don’t get Grundy, then Weed would be a second ruck option as he is starting to look good in there, and will probably kick more goals than a Jackson anyway. He just needs to put on some weight and build up over the summer.

And get some mongrel 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tony Rowell said:

And get some mongrel 

He’s called Jacob Van Rooyen. He will make a huge difference next year. The rest will fall into place. We have a premiership list, remember 12 months ago.  Goodwin knows we need to work out the reasons we fell away this year, and they will. Bring it on, we will be the hunters next year.

Edited by bobby1554
  • Like 2

The Anti-Goodwin High Risk, High Reward Best 22 of 23'

Sponsored by Werridee

FB: Tomlinson May Hunt
HB: Bowey Lever Salem
C: Langdon Brayshaw Howes
HF: Spargo JVR Petracca
FF: Fritsch Petty Pickett
INT: Harmes Rivers Jordon Bedford

• Moderate downgrade in the backline (Tomlinson in for Petty), to allow a massive upgrade in the forward line
  • JVR in 
  • Added outside speed & X-factor: Howes IN for Sparrow & Bedford IN for ANB
  • Hibberd every chance to feature should he go on 
  • Grundy (?) probably comes in for Rivers (Brayshaw can pinch hit as 7th defender)
Edited by adonski
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adonski said:

Sponsored by Werridee

• Moderate downgrade in the backline (Tomlinson in for Petty), to allow a massive upgrade in the forward line
  • JVR in 
  • Grundy (?) probably comes in for Rivers (Brayshaw can pinch hit as 7th defender)

Tomlinson is a spud rather Turner.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Midfield rotations and more run and skill through the mids and half backs have to be big addition. And of course key forwards. 

FB: Petty May Xxxxx
HB: Rivers  Lever  Bowey
C; xxxx  Salem  Langdon
HF: xxxxx McDonald  Viney
FF: Fritsch JVR Pickett
Foll: Gawn Petracca Oliver 
Int: Harmes, Sparrow xxxxx, xxxxx

Back pocket: Hibbo, Hunt, J Smith
Back flank/mid: ???, Brayshaw, Hunt 
Wing: Brayshaw, JJ, Howes
Half forward: Spargo, ANB, Chandler
Ruck/forward: ????, Petty (Turner back), Ben Brown

If we take a page from the pies playbook and rotate a mid through half back then Salem is an option. That gives us some badly needed skill on ball too. Of course that then means we need another quick skilful defender. 

Similarly we can then rotate a mid through half forward more often which takes the load off the big 3. 

I don’t mean to be a downer because they might improve quickly but I think we need to be realistic about our young players outside the best 22 apart from JVR. They struggle to regularly impact at Casey so are unlikely to leap in to the side in 1 summer. Every mature player we lose in this trade period might need a mature replacement even if it’s a dice role on delisted or state league types. 

How could you not have Brayshaw in the team?

On 9/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, Lord Nev said:

Hunt, Harmes and Weideman all chances to be at other clubs.

Dees will hit the draft a bit more this year.

JVR and Howes will feature more next year.

That's the extent of the rumours I've heard so far.

Howes is a fair way off impacting at AFL level.  Looks very promising but might take a bit longer to force his way in than JVR imv

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 12:17 AM, ElDiablo14 said:

Or Disco Turner steps up, he showed good things against the filth

Turner isn't far away if he stays fit.   He can easily come in for Petty pretty early on next season and send Petty forward. 

Goodwin would be crazy not to trial Petty as a potential permanent forward in 2023, starting with intra clubs.

• Like 3

On 9/9/2022 at 11:24 PM, rpfc said:

1. Ball Movement Coach installed. Transition game awful atm.

2. Forward pressure game reinstated. No excuses.

3. Use squad and not injured ‘best 22’ players. 

4. Play forwards in forward line. If they can chop out mids great, otherwise bye-bye to the bench mids. 

5. Get our stars right. They were slowing down at the end of the year. CP5 had an impact injury late of course but he, Salem, May, Petty, Lever, and Kozzie make up 6 of our best 10 players and they were playing injured this year at various times. What’s the point if this is the result.

6. Small r Review of the High Performance performance. Has to be done. Even if it is to confirm our injuries and struggles.

7. Just keep going. Best thing to do when going through hell.

I think you find that is the coaches job it's his game plan he implements it.

That will be done he has already said that.

6 hours ago, demon3165 said:

I think you find that is the coaches job it's his game plan he implements it.

That will be done he has already said that.

It’s a gameplan put together by the coaching staff obviously with Goodwin as the final say so. And I am sure they will try to adopt something closer to Sydney and be a bit more enterprising and expansive.

Im talking about a ball movement coach specifically charged with implementing it. Went to a coaching conference about 10 years ago and had a presentation from the Bombers ball movement coach and he described his role as the person responsible to be able to talk to any player and talk them through how their role would complement. 

Also would be good to get some fresh ideas.

On 9/9/2022 at 9:48 AM, BoBo said:

Game plan:

Goodwin has one game plan and doesn’t stray from it. It worked in 2021 because essentially all of our important players were in a purple patch of form ( Gawn kicking a winning goal against Geelong round 23 and kicking 5 in a prelim?) coming into finals with a team that had no injuries. 

He doesn’t change players up mid game in reaction to what’s happening in front of him like Longmire would do, he will just accept losses if we’re beaten. I don’t even know what the game day coach does to be honest. 

Can anyone identify what plan B is? Or what changes we’ve made this year mid game? Any at all. 

For example - relying on Gawn to take amazing amazing pack marks all around the ground. Hasn’t worked for many weeks so far and yet we just persist. 

Tonight we tried to do a switch play which I’ve been calling for, for the entire year. We have paddocks of space to use and we still just kick it up the ground relying on Gawn to mark it.

Forward Line:

I’ve been saying this ( like a million other people) for years. It’s [censored]. In big games it will cost us and lo and behold, it just cost us then. 

Kicking to Ben Brown who had to compete against packs of Brisbane defenders blah blah blah. The answer to this is ‘yes, but we’ve kicked such high scores before’. Which is only true when Game plan A is working. When it doesn’t? No change. 

Fritcsh is exactly like Gunston. Except he has no roughhead or buddy to play with and he isn’t being handed the kinds of deliveries that Hawks midfield of them, we’re getting. 

He was a cherry on top for the hawks, for us, he’s our roughhead and BBB is our buddy. No wonder we’re so dysfunctional. 

When we score highly, it’s when game plan A is working. WE DONT HAVE A FUNCTIONING FORWARD LINE AND HAVENT FOR OVER A DECADE.

We *can* score heavily if everything goes our way, but if not, we don’t have a plan B so our forward line deficiency’s get exposed. Like it just was.

Over hyped list based on last year:

ANB is a good, solid player. He actually makes us better with him in the team. In saying that: our reliance on him is absurd considering how much of a liability he is to us. 

Same problem with Salem who doesn’t have the heart of ANB but is way more skilled. He is a ghost of the player he was last year. No damage at all and he’s just soft. sure he’s a great kick, but Rich who is a similar player, makes him look average because Rich ads defensive pressure, which Salem hasn’t been able to continue.

Melksham again, the reliance on this guy for what he is, is ridiculous. He was never as good as what we expect him to be and because weideman hasn’t come through, well, he’s just next. 

Our forward line, coupled with no clear plan for them to work with from our coaches, is filled with out of position players that are seemingly filling holes on top of an over reliance on players that cannot be expected to be the players we want them to be. We dominate from the backline (anyone that criticises our backline is just deluded and shifting blame, they hardly ever lose unless we get smashed up the ground), we spend large parts of games getting repeat entries with not a lot of reward whether that is missing easy goals or KICKING IT TO THE POCKET WHERE 3-4 DEFENDERS KILL THE BALL. 

Again, sometimes this works, but when it doesn’t, what’s plan B? What changes do we make?

Conclusion:

Ok my main belief in change is game plan. Been saying it all year even when we win. Not making changes and being so predictable that every fan knows what we’re going to do, is the problem. Secondary to this, we don’t have the players to just persist with game plan A, when there are coaches out there much more creative that Goodwin, that can negate it. 

CASE IN POINT: Petty goes forward for the first time this year in the last 5 minutes of a season ending game and voila, he gets a goal the could’ve saved us. 

If we were to bring in Curnow, McKay, and replace ANB or Melksham with let’s say, a Jamie Elliot type player, then sure, keep with Plan A. But that’s not going to happen…. So maybe we try and change things up?

Ill just ask this, what is the difference between last years game plan and this years? 

Can anyone tell me if there is a difference?

Your comments are from the heart and now is the time to rid us of the "older" players who are considered - "fringe" in the likes of Melks, J Smith and D Smith, Rosman, Baker and consider uptrading as Richmond did 2 years ago for more grunt in the Team. I believe we have players who would be considered by other Clubs. Let's go to the Trade with an open mind and get quality to improve our base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, adonski said:

Sponsored by Werridee

• JVR in 

Impressive side, considering it’s 3 players short!

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Travy14 said:

FF:  Fritsch  Brown  Picket

HF:   Chandler  T-Mac  Harmes

C:  Langdon  Viney  Jordon

HB:  Salem  Petty  Lever

FB:  Bowie  May  Rivers

Foll:  Gawn  Oliver  Petracca

Int:  Brayshaw  JVR  Sparrow  Spargo

Emg:  Bedford  Dunstan  Tomlinson  Turner

Out:  Melksham(retire?), Hibberd(retire?), Baker(Delisted), Jackson(Freo), M. Brown(retire?)

Allow them to look for a trade:  Weidemen, Hunt, ANB, Bedford, 

Keep Hibberd 

Won't get anything for Weid.

8 hours ago, adonski said:

Sponsored by Werridee

• JVR in 

This is good but Spargo is in question. 

I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but after hearing that Stevens has suggested Williams (Carlton) is on the tradetable, I'd make a play for him.

I'd like to see a change of position for Salem going forward. 

If he can have a Petracca-like off-season, I'd like to see a move to either a half-forward and midfield role or a the Brayshaw wing role.

Williams can then take a back flank which more than covers Salem's kicking ability/creativity but adds better run and carry. He won't be as defensively strong but I don't think the difference is too great. Hibbo if playing on I think needs a more simplified lock-down role going into next year. His strength now lies in his ability to scrap as a defender and lock-down on smalls, I think his run and carry game should be held back now.

Salem closer to goal gives us an immediate boost in creativity and efficiency going forward. He was extremely damaging in that role in his under 18's year.

Bowey is a must in our starting back six next year too for how clean he is at ground level as well as ball use. We are so vulnerable at ground level in our D50 it's scary. Williams and Bowey immediately add clean-up ability at ground level.

I'd like our back six to look like the following:

Hibberd      May       Petty

Williams     Lever     Bowey

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 2