Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES 2022

Gorgoroth

We need another key forward. Don’t know much about Cadman but he seems to be the highest rated forward in the draft. If we cannot get an established forward from another club then we should ensure that we draft one.

JVR must play from Round 1. Not sure if that is with TMac or Ben Brown. A functional forward line with a real key forward target would completely change the way we score. This is the reason Richmond got Lynch and then went on to win 2 more premierships

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bing181 said:

How many goals did the Lions get once Petty went forward? By my count, 3.

There is no free lunch.

I was only aware of him going forward after his mark and goal. From that point, the Lions only kicked a goal from Lever’s 50 metre penalty.

Petty may have been there longer but that’s not the point I’m making - of course Petty would be missed from defence. I only mean to say it was disappointing it took until there was 3 minutes left in the season to consider a different tall marking option other than Brown and our rucks.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

So after we wasted this year these are what I think we need to change.

Game plan. It’s crap and was worked out early this year but Goodwin refused to tweak.

Forward coach, not a bloody ruckman.

Selection, actually reward Casey players.

Game day coaching, try things. FFS try things.

Major review of fitness staff, our last qtrs are only better than Nth and West coast is an absolute embarrassment. Not to be glossed over.

Kick outs, if we go left and long next year I’ll burn the mcg down.

What about the players ??

Who needs to stand up after disappointing 2022.? 

Will list names in later post

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, wisedog said:

I was only aware of him going forward after his mark and goal. From that point, the Lions only kicked a goal from Lever’s 50 metre penalty.

Petty may have been there longer but that’s not the point I’m making - of course Petty would be missed from defence. I only mean to say it was disappointing it took until there was 3 minutes left in the season to consider a different tall marking option other than Brown and our rucks.

Agree Petty Tmac and  JVR should be out forward  talls with Weid replacing Jacko if he goes Another ruck a recruit. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Nonsense. They’re both the best coaches their clubs have had in 50 years.

Bevo gets criticised for selection lotto and a wide open skills based game plan

Goodwin for conservative selection and a down the line game plan

There’s a Bulldogs forum version of you wanting Bevo to do exactly what Goodwin does 

Thanks DeeSpencer.

That would be the same Beverage that has coached one premiership and one grand final appearance in seven completed seasons with a winning percentage of over 57 percent with nothing more than a B+ list. Amazing coaching performance. 

• Like 1

The biggest change we need is for the coach to experiment more in the regular season. The idea that we need to be predictable all year hurt us this season. We then tried to expand our game in finals and we were unprepared.

We also need to plan more for the MCG. This means we need to inject more run and kicking skill. The philosophy that our big players are for marking and small players for crumbing and pressure is also wrong for the MCG. We should be going for more well rounded and flexible players at selection. Players like Brown, Spargo and ANB, who have major weaknesses in the air or on the ground, became exposed on the MCG in finals. Players like Bowey are better suited to the MCG. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 58er said:

What about the players ??

Who needs to stand up after disappointing 2022.? 

Will list names in later post

But that’s on the selection committee, we played out of form players all year long. Players should be rewarded for good form at Casey and they don’t. senior players should be dropped for bad form for MFC and they weren’t.

• Like 6

If fitness really is the reason for our second half fade outs, why didn’t Goodwin just say so? Is he trying to deflect the blame on one department or are there really other elements to it like he suggested?

Certainly, a new game plan in 2023 is on the cards. I’m tipping some other big personnel/positional changes. 

Edited by At the break of Gawn

IMO the three biggest things we need to do are:

1. Re-jig the forward line. I have always felt we are best with two tall forwards. We don't get enough run/pressure out of having all of ANB, Spargo, Pickett and Melksham in the side. TMac's injury and Weideman's lack of development really killed us
  2. Re-think how we want to move the ball. Attempting to minimise turnovers by kicking the ball into the pockets makes our lives too hard. It's related to the first point - if we had better marking options we would have a little more confidence of delivering the ball into more dangerous spots in the forward 50 and not seeing it rebound immediately.
  3. Work out if/why our game struggles on the G. I say if/why because I'm not convinced we are losing these games because of the ground dimensions. Most of the good sides we played this year, we played at the G: Sydney twice, Collingwood twice, Brisbane twice, Fremantle, all made the final six. Optus Stadium isn't too far off the G dimensions wise and we played one of our best games of the year there to beat Fremantle in Round 20. But we should be aiming to play in a way which suits the G so if there are any habitual weaknesses (zone too loose, not using the full width, etc.), they need to be fixed.
  • Like 2

Prior to list management decisions and the trade/draft period this is how I could see us lining up for round 1 next year.

*I have assumed Jackson will request a trade.

FB. Turner   May    Bowey

HB. Rivers   Lever  Salem

C.  Langdon Oliver  Brayshaw

HF. Spargo  JvR     Sparrow

FF. Pickett   Petty  Fritsch

R. Gawn  Petracca Viney

IC. Harmes Hunt Jordan (2nd ruck, via trade or Weideman)

With the absence of any key forwards on the trade market we will have to look within to find a competitive tall foward structure which I believe should involve two genuine talls. BBB may still fill this role but I think Petty has proven to be one of our best contested marks. Swung foward late in our semi final loss, he immediately impacted with a strong contested mark and goal before having hands in another. JvR with another preseason under his belt should be ready to play the majority of the year in the senior team. Having both play forward will provide significant aerially threats that will be more suitable to the current gamestyle we play.

For this to happen, a competent replacement for Petty in the backline needs to he found and I believe we have one in Turner who has been a dominant figure in Casey's backline this year.

I have assumed Jackson will request a trade. I will be surprised if we don't source a second ruck with speculation that Grundy and Meek are on our radar. I haven't included either at this stage to avoid putting in players from other teams that may or may not he on our list.

Hopefully pushing for selection

Howes, Laurie, Woewodin, Chandler, Bedford

Depth

McDonald, Brown, Hibberd, ANB, Dunstan, Tomlinson, J. Smith, D. Smith, AMW, McVee, Weideman

Players moved on

Jackson*, Melksham, Baker, Rosman, M. Brown

13 hours ago, Turner said:

i think having skimmed through everyones posts to try and pick the relevant stuff out of the frustration theres a pretty key theme featuring and its about our offensive or forward work. and i completely agree. whenever we tried to change lanes nd lower our eyes to hit targets there were none there. our forwards simply just were not hitting up at the leg whatsoever. clearly a marking tall is a necessity brown can hardly get off the ground and everytime we kicked it to him i was just imagining it was lynch or mckay there who just squeeze the thing so hard that it is impossible that anyone could possibly punch it away. 

and i want us to play more offensive small forwards, the combination of ANB, spargo, and a resting mid usually sparrow sometimes viney or harmes is too much dead forwards, we dont have an issue with getting it down there our mids do that part well week in week out but we dont have enough players who can change the game and have that real zip and spark around goal. compare them to the hawks dynasty side with breust gunston poppy and cyril all big goal kickers. even the lions side today with mccarthy rayner bailey and charlie all huge goal kickers. or the way the tiges operated for 5 years. we just dont get the same goal nous and scoreboard pressure from our guys. bedford shouldve been given more chances as when he got ball in hand he looked likely inside 50 and couldve made more impact. 

my other issue is with goody's favouratism of players. sparrow was serviceable post bye, didnt really have a super down day where u go geez only the 5-6 touches where was he but also didnt go 20+ and really dominate a game, was there anything more at all dunstan couldve done at vfl level to take his spot, but it was never really in danger was it, so there was no real hunger to stay in the side, compare that to the lions who dropped robinson, mathieson and prior today after a massive win last week in a final. similar story when laurie was really pressing mid year and ANB and spargs were down or with JVR towards the backend of the year.

i was finally happy when i saw at least he had a plan and the players were aware of it and familiar with it with 3 minutes to go of the last quarter. petty swung forward, may drifted closer to goal too and the wingmen took up super offensive positioning and the HBs surged through the centre square to try and get the ball going forward

Couldn’t agree more. 

2 hours ago, 58er said:

Agree Petty Tmac and  JVR should be out forward  talls with Weid replacing Jacko if he goes Another ruck a recruit. 

Leave Brown out - doesn't kick goals. Needs to kick at least 2 a game otherwise isn't worth playing.

I like the idea of a forward line Petty, JVR, Tmac, Weid (2nd ruck), Kozzie, Fritsch, Bedford. I don't have a lot of confidence in Spargo. Can barely kick over 40mts. I'm not fussed if Jackson goes, has dropped off massively this year, and definitely not a forward. Get a midfielder with excellent skills/pace, or 2 of them. 

34 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

I've been pondering... Hunt and Langdon to the wings, Gus back at Half Back with Bowey, roll of a dice for the third HB between Rivers and Salem. 🤔

Hunt’s never been fit or smart enough for a wing. Gus is too slow and unaccountable for half back if Lever’s in the same back 6. Given Lever can’t play anywhere else it has to be Lever 

I'm as gutted as everyone else but we finished 2nd and we have the list to finish top 4 for the next 5 years. No need for wholesale changes, just a rejig of game plan aka Geelong this year. Few fresh players, we'll be better next year.

- more offensive game plan. The game became more offensive this year. Need to have the capacity to win a shootout not just shut down the opposition.

- insert JVR and Bedford into forward line. Lose BB, Melk & Spargo. I love Spargo but until he can spark the game with some X factor and put fear into opposition then he needs to go. 

- Howes to the wing. two legit wingers with Langdon on the other side. been a weakness all year. 

- Bowey in. Find a quality small defender to lock down on opposition small.

All of this is very achievable. 
most important thing imo is to get a sizeable return for Jackson. Hayden Young or two top 10 picks. Maybe try and entice Papley to come back to VIC. Forget Grundy, second ruck only worked because Jackson was so mobile.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

Petty is a great backman and was absolutely brilliant last night, I would not be moving him back. 

The old “robbing Peter to pay Paul” scenario.

Maybe Turner ( has scope) might only cover, say 75% of Petty down back, but  Petty might just be a 100% improvement on the mess that has been the 2022 forward line.

Overall, that would be a significant win.

At least try Petty as a swing man type, to me he has a similar style to one of the best in Terry Daniher.

Develop Petty and Van Rooyen as our primary key forwards next year and we might just be able to lock down those positions for the next 8 years.

• Like 4

Yes I’d be keeping Petty in the backline.  It ain’t broken. There’s the need for the Mids to connect better with the forwards.
Lessons over the summer on kicking to forwards, kicking to space and kicking as direct penetrating kicks (not high rainmaker kicks) 

19 hours ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

There needs to be serious changes next year. But they need to be calculated changes.

Peanut intimations about firing Goody can be swept under the rug immediately. I’m bloody hurting and agree with assessments made re: not thinking fresh on who our second tall should be and the eventual predictable nature of our game plan. However, you can feel free to pot his performance tonight, but he is our only premiership coach in 58 years. Only a glue sniffing moron would intimate he should go based on that. 

We do need a mini-renovation. If Tomald isn’t guaranteed 16 plus games next year, BBB’s role should be questioned. JVR needs a run after a year of seasoning at Casey. Injury management and fitness regimes need serious attention. 

Besides that, take a lot of the suggestions in this thread with an Uluṟu sized grain of salt.

Top post

3 hours ago, Abyssal said:

The old “robbing Peter to pay Paul” scenario.

Maybe Turner ( has scope) might only cover, say 75% of Petty down back, but  Petty might just be a 100% improvement on the mess that has been the 2022 forward line.

Overall, that would be a significant win.

At least try Petty as a swing man type, to me he has a similar style to one of the best in Terry Daniher.

Develop Petty and Van Rooyen as our primary key forwards next year and we might just be able to lock down those positions for the next 8 years.

I think we start with T Mc and JVR as our key forwards next year. Both can easily be 50% improvements on Brown and Melksham.

But the swing man has to be an option, especially as both McDonald and JVR have defensive capabilities. And Turner’s an option I just don’t think he’ll be the first choice.

I’m starting to think we can actually solve the key forwards to a respectable level. The trickier fix might be finding a half decent ruck/forward