Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Hayden Young



Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Axis of Bob said:

Imagine Hawthorn supporters' disgust at drafting Buddy from WA (pick 5), then leaving Hawthorn in the middle of his career for an interstate team .... when they could have had John Meesen (pick 8) for his entire career!

At least you would have been happy that we had a whole career of Jack Watts, rather than that West Australian Nic Naitanui.

What a terrible, terrible post.

Comparing John Meesen to Hayden Young is not on. Silly comparison indeed. And if we had chosen Nic Nat he would be back in WA and we wouldn't have our champion Max Gawn. He would have been forced elsewhere. Maybe not such a terrible post after all.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jackson will be the best ruck of the next decade. Shame he’s going, but he won us a flag.

Young would’ve been a massive investment in to a backline that already had May, Salem and Lever. Rivers with a second rounder was much better value to add to the backline.

Young has a nice boot and is a good size but he’s not that special.

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Young looks a star. Big unit, amazing mark, and terrific kick. Be interesting to see if he moves to the midfield or wing

but no one could possibly question the recruitment of LJ. Especially with 2 other WA boys in the same draft 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'm in full agreement.

Hayden Young is going to be an absolute champion of the game. An absolute champion. His composure in his first final as a 20/21 year old was first class. Imagine the highs this kid is going to reach in his prime years of 23-28. Not to mention he's had a fabulous third season of football. 

We weren't the only club to overlook him but hindsight will say we made the wrong call for a multitude of reasons. 

Young is currently a better player than Jackson, and will also end up being the better player.

Jackson's had a mostly woeful season and probably won't feature in the top 15 of the best and fairest.

 

Although I think Young is a good player but saying he is going to be a champion and we made the wrong call is ridiculous.  Jackson upside is far and above Young’s and Jackson has also shown more than Young over his first 3 years. 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


32 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

Although I think Young is a good player but saying he is going to be a champion and we made the wrong call is ridiculous.  Jackson upside is far and above Young’s and Jackson has also shown more than Young over his first 3 years. 

Young’s first 2 years were injury riddled but in year 3 he’s had a full season under his belt and it’s been comprehensively better than Jackson’s.

I’m entitled to my opinion and I think Young will be a better player than Jackson.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You never know....Melbourne may end up with Hayden Young in a trade deal with Fremantle for Luke Jackson?

I am still hanging on to a glimmer of hope that Luke Jackson will stay at the Demons. But that seems more and more doubtful sadly.

Nevertheless, if we do lose Luke Jackson to Fremantle (or West Coast) we need to get a fair trade back in return. Remember that Jake Lever cost us 2 first round draft picks at the end of 2017 when he left the Crows for us.

You gotta give up quality to get quality as they say!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not according to this video..

The selection was out of Jackson and Tom Green of GWS. 

No mention of Young.

 

If you look at the still in the video  of the draft positions you will see that we had in order, Rowell, Jackson, Green and Young 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Sadly, we lost at the draft table when we chose Luke Jackson over Young. Hayden was interviewed by Melbourne and according to close family sources (reliable information as they are close friends),he had told his family that he was going to be a Demon. But the powers to be changed their mind and opted for Jacko. What a win for Freo! They gained a champion defender and its all but certain they will get Jackson as well. Hayden is a great interceptor and those long ( and I mean long), accurate kicks are sublime. But its no use crying over spilled milk is it?

As @La Dee-vina Comedia points out, Freo have to trade for Jackson, so they don't end up with Young and Jackson without cost.

Hogan to Fremantle for May and Rivers, both MFC Premiership players, along with Jackson.  Two from WA and one from the NT.

Edited by old55
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Silly thread, though I was keen on Young at draft. Jackson is a demon now, Young is not.

If Jackson requests a trade to Freo, then a straight swap for Young would be a good result. Unlikely to happen though as why would he leave the Dockers on the rise after signing a 5 year extension.

Because of his family. We'd pay his contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

So having an opinion is propaganda? And Russian as well? Well I never. With comments like that mate maybe you are just a little Goofy.

The reference to Russian propaganda is the use of big, superficially credible statements that have to be picked apart to refute but which are quite obviously detached from reality upon inspection.

Also, keeping with the Russian theme for a moment; "Ukraine bombed its own people in the occupied areas so they wouldn't report how well they were being treated by Russia" is an opinion and also most definitely propaganda. Opinions aren't some magically neutral ether, so do civilization a favour and take that out of your rhetorical toolkit.

Also also, it was flippant remark on a level with the silliness of the new thread.

"We lost at the draft table when we chose Jackson over Young" because "We lose Jackson and now Freo have both" and also "Jackson's last game wasn't good."

Totally bypassing;

a) that Jackson was the best player available in the draft at pick 3, possibly overall.

b) the value that Jackson has already provided

c) that Young, while a very good player, is only about 15% ahead of an injury-riddle Salem at the same age, and would not be a game-changer for our list.

d) that judging a 20yr old (premiership) ruckman on their single most recent game is just silly, particularly when they were far from the worst and kept up the effort levels even when things weren't working for them.

e) that to get Jackson, Fremantle will now have to give up significant trade value, which we will receive.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

The reference to Russian propaganda is the use of big, superficially credible statements that have to be picked apart to refute but which are quite obviously detached from reality upon inspection.

Also, keeping with the Russian theme for a moment; "Ukraine bombed its own people in the occupied areas so they wouldn't report how well they were being treated by Russia" is an opinion and also most definitely propaganda. Opinions aren't some magically neutral ether, so do civilization a favour and take that out of your rhetorical toolkit.

Also also, it was flippant remark on a level with the silliness of the new thread.

"We lost at the draft table when we chose Jackson over Young" because "We lose Jackson and now Freo have both" and also "Jackson's last game wasn't good."

Totally bypassing;

a) that Jackson was the best player available in the draft at pick 3, possibly overall.

b) the value that Jackson has already provided

c) that Young, while a very good player, is only about 15% ahead of an injury-riddle Salem at the same age, and would not be a game-changer for our list.

d) that judging a 20yr old (premiership) ruckman on their single most recent game is just silly, particularly when they were far from the worst and kept up the effort levels even when things weren't working for them.

e) that to get Jackson, Fremantle will now have to give up significant trade value, which we will receive.

I like Jackson, but the fact remains he most likely is leaving us and we could have had Young. So, are really saying is that my opinion is not important on this forum?  Imo you are definitely wrong when you say that Young  would not be a game changer on our list. He already shows so much skill and maturity. To play so well in his first final shows his talent. I don't know how you can formulate an actual percentage difference when comparing him with Salem. Time will prove one of us right. Let us agree to both disagree on this topic. Cheers, Little Goffy.

  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Sadly, we lost at the draft table when we chose Luke Jackson over Young. Hayden was interviewed by Melbourne and according to close family sources (reliable information as they are close friends),he had told his family that he was going to be a Demon. But the powers to be changed their mind and opted for Jacko. What a win for Freo! They gained a champion defender and its all but certain they will get Jackson as well. Hayden is a great interceptor and those long ( and I mean long), accurate kicks are sublime. But its no use crying over spilled milk is it?

Sadly Bobby you have got home after Friday night after Dogga's worst possible game on the big stage and then seen Young play a valuable role in the Dockers win an amazing Finals game which has set them up as a future power team from the West.

Then you have launched into print and changed 3 years of  football performances as a result. To date LJ has been under any criteria a much better and more valuable player in his first 3 years with us than Hayden has been for Freo.

Yes injury has been a handicap for Young but Jacko has been a quicK learner and vary valuable on baller in his first 3 years. He has changed when rucking say 5 games including our Flag win and been a competent team man in most of his first 50 games. For a 21 year old now he has a great future.

There is no doubt Young has the goods and Freo have consolidated his future with a 5 year deal. But up till now LJ has played and contributed grandly to a history making premiership already on the biggest stage of all. 

To suddenly criticise JT snd our team from changing from Young as our first draft pick in 2019 to Luke on one disappointing Final is an overreaction.

I reckon in hindsight Luke was probably not quite 100% with his calf. He is and will be a champion player for who ever he plays for. We or JT had no idea he may be prone to playing at home either. 

And whoever we get in exchange or in draft picks may be better than Young and/ or Jackson to our team.

Maybe you should dodo wait till Young  plays in the first Dockers Flag before you race off and print a slightly salty summary of the 2019 draft 3 years on.

One flag up already has Jacko well on the way to being a Demon legend do he has the score on the board at this early stage.

Plenty of years to play out yet snd Jesse did not fit in at Freo let's see if LJ does! 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 hours ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

I like Jackson, but the fact remains he most likely is leaving us and we could have had Young. So, are really saying is that my opinion is not important on this forum?  Imo you are definitely wrong when you say that Young  would not be a game changer on our list. He already shows so much skill and maturity. To play so well in his first final shows his talent. I don't know how you can formulate an actual percentage difference when comparing him with Salem. Time will prove one of us right. Let us agree to both disagree on this topic. Cheers, Little Goffy.

So far we are infinitely ahead on the selection with Jackson a crucial contributor to our premiership while Young would not have improved the flag backline.

Jackson's market value is higher than Young's, if he does leave let's see what we turn that into.

We've got Bowey outside the 22 and Freo seem to rate Jackson very highly. If I had the choice between Jackson and Young in our 22 this final series there's no doubt I'd pick Jackson.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At the end of 2019, I was very keen on MFC drafting Hayden Young due to his elite delivery and he is able to perfectly play the modern quarterback type role.  He’s also a good mark and decision maker. But happy that we got LJ and also Kozzy. Thd excitement of JTs face was priceless alone. Their mateship alongside Riv and excitement has brought us a lot and the premiership that we waited so long for.  Good luck to Young and I think Freo have a definite 200+ game player in him.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, old55 said:

So far we are infinitely ahead on the selection with Jackson a crucial contributor to our premiership while Young would not have improved the flag backline.

Jackson's market value is higher than Young's, if he does leave let's see what we turn that into.

We've got Bowey outside the 22 and Freo seem to rate Jackson very highly. If I had the choice between Jackson and Young in our 22 this final series there's no doubt I'd pick Jackson.

Basically, the chief reason I started this post was to say that SHORT term, Jackson was great( who could forget his magnificent GF performance?) but LONG term Young would have been a best bet to have in our team. Sadly, it seems highly likely that Jacko will be leaving us after just three years. It seems common that West Australians want to return to their home state and picking them always carries a risk. Young is a Victorian and most likely would have been with us for his entire career. Sorry I trod on the toes of a few sensitive posters. That's it from me. QED.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!
×
×
  • Create New...