Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: QF vs Sydney

Demonland

7 minutes ago, Swooper1987 said:

This narrative that pressure is our kryptonite is laughable.  Pressure is every teams biggest weakness.  The teams that apply the most defensive pressure always keep themselves in games and give themselves a chance to win. It's what got the Swans their flag in 2005 and it's Roos DNA.  Our forward 50 pressure on Friday night was down compared to Sydney's - especially our forward 50 tackle count but we still applied significant pressure over the night.  Our lack of composure with the ball when the pressure wasn't there was our biggest worry, as well as a lack of discipline that saw us cough up 3 50m penalties all resulting in goals.  In a three and a half goal game, that's a substantial headstart we gave them before pressure even became a factor.

Could not agree more good summary of the real issue 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kent said:

I have noticed this for years we must cause the congestion ourselves and dot start me on Max competing with BBB in the air surley they dont both need to jump at the contest

I think you will find that this happens to ensure the ball hits the ground rather than an intercept mark 

By contrast May took numerous intercept marks primarily because he was well on top of Franklin but also because there was no other Swans tall competing in the air 

1 hour ago, Swooper1987 said:

This narrative that pressure is our kryptonite is laughable.  Pressure is every teams biggest weakness.  The teams that apply the most defensive pressure always keep themselves in games and give themselves a chance to win. It's what got the Swans their flag in 2005 and it's Roos DNA.  Our forward 50 pressure on Friday night was down compared to Sydney's - especially our forward 50 tackle count but we still applied significant pressure over the night.  Our lack of composure with the ball when the pressure wasn't there was our biggest worry, as well as a lack of discipline that saw us cough up 3 50m penalties all resulting in goals.  In a three and a half goal game, that's a substantial headstart we gave them before pressure even became a factor.

Sydney averages the second highest tackles per game with 62… on Friday night they broke their yearly record with 84. 

This is an extra ordinary amount of pressure… wouldn’t surprise me if this was the highest of any team this year… 

with that amount of pressure, no team would have beaten them last night 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, binman said:

Does anyone know the post clearance contested possession numbers for our game and the pies cats game?

I believe they are:

Geelong 116

Melb 108

Syd 101

Pies 93

Sydney seemed to get a lot of post clearance CPs in their forward 50. Papley had 5. Kozzie had 0.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bandicoot said:

Sydney averages the second highest tackles per game with 62… on Friday night they broke their yearly record with 84. 

This is an extra ordinary amount of pressure… wouldn’t surprise me if this was the highest of any team this year… 

with that amount of pressure, no team would have beaten them last night 

However, despite that, we gave away three goals through lack of discipline and another couple with "unforced" errors if such a thing truly exists in finals.  And there is the game. I agree that the Swans performance was the best of the first week though.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

I believe they are:

Geelong 116

Melb 108

Syd 101

Pies 93

Sydney seemed to get a lot of post clearance CPs in their forward 50. Papley had 5. Kozzie had 0.

Ta.

I half expected that the pies and swans might have had more post clearance cps.

It reinforces in my mind that the swans and pies are both doing something different.

3 minutes ago, binman said:

Ta.

I half expected that the pies and swans might have had more post clearance cps.

It reinforces in my mind that the swans and pies are both doing something different.

Sorry.  I’ve quoted ground balls which are different.  I don’t think we will find post clearance contested possessions without champion data access.

But looking at CP differential and ground ball differential is probably close.  We were +25 CP and +7 GB so swans were probably well up in post contest CP (+18?).

Geelong were +21 CP and +23 GB so probably pretty even in post contest CP.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Sorry.  I’ve quoted ground balls which are different.  I don’t think we will find post clearance contested possessions without champion data access.

But looking at CP differential and ground ball differential is probably close.  We were +25 CP and +7 GB so swans were probably well up in post contest CP (+18?).

Geelong were +21 CP and +23 GB so probably pretty even in post contest CP.

That makes more sense.

To the eye the swans were on top in the post clearance cps - a stat that is one of kpis. 

Almost as if the Swans focus is on winning those contests as opposed to winning g cps at the stoppage

Just watched the replay and it gives me some heart. We fumbled a lot and lacked some discipline at times.  Sydney came to play and deserved the win, but we lost the game if that makes sense.

I think we are good enough to turn things around and get back on track.  My biggest concern is our injuries.

If we don’t win next week it won’t be due to lack of effort from our players.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, binman said:

That makes more sense.

To the eye the swans were on top in the post clearance cps - a stat that is one of kpis. 

Almost as if the Swans focus is on winning those contests as opposed to winning g cps at the stoppage

I agree. Longmire is very astute. Parker had a ridiculous 15 ground ball gets, and you can bet most were after we lost possession trying to exit clearances.  

• Like 1

Just a short mention on Oliver's  incident.  Presumably the dirty b has been reported and rubbed out.It is clearly visible except to maggots. Err sorry it might not have been because  this bloke doesn't roll over like a sook or toss his head in the air or carry on as if he's the last ape on the planet.

7 hours ago, kev martin said:

No training session today, unless they already had their run

I saw some people/players on Goshs paddock yesterday (Saturday) morning about 11am    could not stop, 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jnrmac said:

Sydney got 3 goals from 50m penalties - I have not seen any explanation for the Franklin 50m. The free was appalling but I see how it was paid.

Jake Lloyd kicked his only two goals of the year - one was unbelievable from the boundary

Rowbotham kicked one that was a fluke that bounced across a number of players.

Hayward kicked a screamer from 50m on the boundary

Max gifted them a goal with his kick across CHF

The umpiring in the 2nd qtr was amongst the worst seen this year.

Our kicking was shocking except for Fritsch's boundary goal

BBBs mobility and ability to halve contests was terrible.

Melksham missed 3

We missed 4 chances in the 1st 10m of the last qtr

The Swans pressure was almost the highest of any team this year. Ours was also high but we were fumbly and had guys like ANB that were woeful

Other teams have learned to prey on our post clearance possessions and Sydney were great when the ball hit the ground. And like against geelong they were able to spoil the ball an extra 5-10m away from our crumbers.

We're not dead yet but we need to tidy up a lot

I agree  we stuffed up more than Sydney beat us,   

I also agree that we fumbled the ball so much,   I thought because the ground and ball were damp and slippery.  That said if it was dry it is dry for both sides, I still think we are a better team during the daylight and sunny day. 

In the 4th quarter, I remember Viney sprinting with the ball, kicked to a contest where we were outnumbered, they marked and cleared the ball.   Great player sometimes... Hope he has a great game this Friday.  The whole team really wasted some opportunities.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 640MD said:

I saw some people/players on Goshs paddock yesterday (Saturday) morning about 11am    could not stop, 

I saw Viney leaving AAMI Park at around 11.30 am (Sunday), they are working on "it".

I'll have another look tomorrow morning.  

Edited by kev martin

22 minutes ago, kev martin said:

I saw Viney leaving AAMI Park at around 11.30 am (Sunday), they are working on "it".

I'll have another look tomorrow morning.  

Rarely in Melbourne town these days,  will read any of your and other reports like they are the financial times,

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Did anyone see the Spargo incident? Where his throat was crushed?

I think it happens after Spargos smothered kick for goal.  On the AFL replay, 1:51:15-16. Rampe appears to fend to the throat.  Dont think thats correct actually

Edited by Trisul

40 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Did anyone see the Spargo incident? Where his throat was crushed?

7 minutes ago, Trisul said:

I think it happens after Spargos smothered kick for goal.  On the AFL replay, 1:51:15-16. Rampe appears to fend to the throat.

I mentioned this earlier but he reached for his throat after a tackle he laid at HFF city end SKW stand side ....not sure which of these incidents come first but I believe the tackle.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, binman said:

That makes more sense.

I said this to a mate of mine after the game, it was like they just let us get first hands on it at every stoppage only to tackle us immediately to cause a turnover. I still can’t work out why we aren’t looking for our first handball to go 10-15m away instead of 2-5m away as we keep passing to a bloke under just as much pressure as the first guy.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

This is precisely what Footscray do .Not go first for ball. Grab the player with the ball, not go for the ball itself, when he tries to give off intercept outside and get the ball out more easily.

• Like 1