Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PODCAST: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

2 hours ago, raDeelaide said:

Big Benny Brown was either constantly running under the ball in marking contest or was only using the one hand to take attempt to take a mark. Was he misreading the ball coming in and is he only using one hand in an attempt to bring the ball to ground? What going on with Brown? I know this question is asked every single week but do you think we will consider bringing in another tall or do we cross our fingers and hope that TMac miraculously recovers for finals and is match fit?

I like this question and I'd just like to add on is it posible that we may just have to accept that it will be extremely difficult for Ben to play a good game while we are playing with the one tall? He is taking the best defender every single week and is never able to move around how he'd like. 

• Thanks 2

1st Q: An in form Rayner as their bullocking fwd/mid. Add: Zac Bailey & Zorko that weren't there in round 15 - What, if anything, will we do differently to that game? What will our matchups be for all of their dangerous small forwards and goal kicking mids?

2nd Q and looking ahead: Who are the podcast teams favoured matchups in the event of a win over Brisbane:

A home final v Collingwood OR Sydney at the MCG, or Sydney at the SCG? 

Edited by John Demonic
  • Thanks 1

I didn't watch Casey this week but see that Joel Smith kicked a goal. I had heard that he was training with the forwards so I take it that he played forward. Do you guys think he is a smokey to get a game this season as another forward option?

• Thanks 1

Can you look at the Carlton and our team statistics, and does this indicate that this match's pressure was at a finals level?

Most stats were above last years average

Can we keep this pressure up for next weeks match?

Edited by RedsoxMan
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gouga said:

I like many think we are a clear rung below Geelong this year. It would be good to hear @Demonland, @binman and @george_on_the_outer nominate one change they would make to team (personnel or tactical) if we are to be any chance to bridge the gap. 

I'm just putting together our running sheet and I really like this question but do you want to pose it again next week. I'm not sure if the AFL are doing the pre-finals bye but this would be a great question for then. Please post it next week.

1 minute ago, Demonland said:

I'm just putting together our running sheet and I really like this question but do you want to pose it again next week. I'm not sure if the AFL are doing the pre-finals bye but this would be a great question for then. Please post it next week.

Sure. 

• Like 1

Okay, we've seen Plan A (move it deliberately along the boundary line) Plan B (Move it more quickly with some switching). How likely is it we're going to see a Plan C from Goody come finals time, something he's kept up his sleeve? Or are we going to 'rely on our systems' from here on in?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Demonised said:

Okay, we've seen Plan A (move it deliberately along the boundary line) Plan B (Move it more quickly with some switching). How likely is it we're going to see a Plan C from Goody come finals time, something he's kept up his sleeve? Or are we going to 'rely on our systems' from here on in?

Great question. I would love you to pose this one for next week show too.

• Like 1

Alot of negativity in the media around melb still.  Especially that lovely gentleman David King. I don't know why I tune in every week.  But as he has done conveniently all year is draw stats to compliment his statements.  Like go over our past 12 weeks for his stats.  Where it should be in the past 3 games.  Whi h we stack up rather well. But of course that doesn't suit his narrative.

Our inside 50s show we should be in the top few teams,  but 1 forward isn't working.  Ben Brown is having to do too much.  The reason he goes into contest with one hand is because he has one opponent trying to hold him out of the contest for an interceptor.  He is doing a good job but is up against it.

We need another big fwd, but who?

JVR - looked ok on the weekend especially considering the conditions, he was also not too bad in the ruck.  Presents well and attacks contests hard.  Only issue is a young guy coming off a 5 day break after playing on a heavy 10 track, might be a bit hard on him.

Smith - He is a unique proposition,  I have a feeling he might be a good option which is big for me because I'm not usually a smith fan.  I think he could be the aerial contest person we need to free up Brown and Fritta.  He ran out the game well on the weekend and played ok without being outstanding.   Only issue is he has a tendency to go for marks that others have better position.

Weid - Very good game,  presented well in the wet, linked well and ran out the game well.  We have been here before do we go again?

I think we have to play one of these three,  but who? And who comes out?

Maybe Sparrow? who has become a bit redundant since Brayshaw moving into the middle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, binman said:

Question:

Harry Petty does a brilliant job one on one one against Curnow to spoil and not infringe, only just hitting Curnow's outstretched arms as happens in 50 aerial contests a match. 

Yet the umpire pays a free. Ok, that's the benchmark for a marking infringement.

Brown and Gawn get scragged and their arms held and/or smashed at every aerial contest they are engaged in in and yet receive barely a single free between them.

What up with that?

P.S - asking for a friend.

100%

At one point BBB was literally lifted off the ground with opposition hands under both armpits - couldn’t understand how that was not holding. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

Several media pundits, as well as some Demonlanders, are posturing (correctly in my view) that we are currently playing conservative football, without the match-winning ‘flare & dare’ that proved so successful in the recent past.

What do the panel think about this aspect of our play, and in particular, what is the reason for it (?).  Is it a structural / personnel / form issue (?).  Is it a tactical decision on our part, and if so why (?);  Is it being forced upon us by opposition tactics (?).  Is it an approach we can readily revive now that we are at the pointy end of the season (?).

Thanks

Great question - our surge and overlap run just seems to have vanished. I think that’s why Hunt’s efforts really stood out in the last few minutes. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Nairobi_Demon said:

I think it’d be interesting if the pod analysed the game from a parallel universe where it ended 12 seconds earlier than when it did 😁  

Trust me you don't want that. In fact I have a pretty bad headache and there would be zero chance of me doing the podcast tonight in that case.

• Haha 2

@binman James Jordan, before I ask my question I did  a little research.

Having a good year averaging 21 Disposals,350 avg meters gained, 3.4 score involvements, but to me he looks to be getting tired, keep in mind he is still in effectively his second year. Up until about rd18 he was running out games, since then these are his stats second half possesions/total.

Rd 19-  6/16

Rd20- 9/20 (Better)

Rd21- 9/24

Rd22- 6/17

He is a good natural footballer, but is he a winger? To me he takes too long to move the ball and more often than not he holds the ball up kills momentum. 

My question, is he better suited to playing off the bench in a midfield rotation? IMO I still think we look better with Gus on the wing.

• Like 1

Second Question, 

IMO Spargo isn't providing enough regular pressure, doesn't play deep enough to hit the scoreboard or be front and centre enough.

I'm sick of watching ANB stand at CHF every week, if the club has hopes of TMac coming back, we MUST play a Second Key Forward. Goodwin won't play Weid or JVR. Is Joel Smith is worth a look? He has 5 Tackles 6 Marks and 9 possessions in the slop for Casey.

Also

Sparrow out for Harmes

Spargo out Joel Smith

26 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

@binman James Jordan, before I ask my question I did  a little research.

Having a good year averaging 21 Disposals,350 avg meters gained, 3.4 score involvements, but to me he looks to be getting tired, keep in mind he is still in effectively his second year. Up until about rd18 he was running out games, since then these are his stats second half possesions/total.

Rd 19-  6/16

Rd20- 9/20 (Better)

Rd21- 9/24

Rd22- 6/17

He is a good natural footballer, but is he a winger? To me he takes too long to move the ball and more often than not he holds the ball up kills momentum. 

My question, is he better suited to playing off the bench in a midfield rotation? IMO I still think we look better with Gus on the wing.

He has a injured knee and they are nursing it through the game

He had a bandage on it this Saturday night

he might be rested this week?

• Like 1

Two questions 

1.  What’s the tactic of kicking to the forward pockets rather than the central hotspot in front of goal ?….  It’s such a negative “defensive” play and easily stopped (Perhaps explains why we have 50-60 inside 50s yet goal scoring rate of 18-20%) 

2. 90% of the time , Steven May kicks out to 60 metres out , to the pack on the half back flank!!!  So predictable. Question - WHY? …… -( it’s very boring and other sides push numbers and punch it back. - How do other sides vary it , like the Swans who brought to ball to their inside 50 on 5/8 occasions without a Magpie touching it!!! ) 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, RedsoxMan said:

He has a injured knee and they are nursing it through the game

he might be rested this week?

Could be interesting. Given Pickett was heavily strapped and we held over Chandler & Bedford back from Casey this week too.

5 hours ago, Demonland said:

I've got a run home segment where I go through the most likely scenarios.

Knowing your MFCSS, the most likely scenario is Tom 'school bully' Lynch and Dustbin Chopsticks Martin kicking 5 goals together in the last quarter of a 6v7 elimination final for the runaway tiger victory and humiliating walk back to Richmond station lol. 

• Vomit 1

Just now, John Demonic said:

Knowing your MFCSS, the most likely scenario is Tom 'school bully' Lynch and Dustbin Chopsticks Martin kicking 5 goals together in the last quarter of a 6v7 elimination final for the runaway tiger victory and humiliating walk back to Richmond station lol. 

It's the stuff of nightmares.

• Haha 1
  • Vomit 1