Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 23 vs Brisbane

Demonland

ok.. so what are the match ups/ Lions fwds v Dees defenders

• Daniher v May
  • Petty v McStay
  • Lever v Hipwwod?
  • Hibbo v Rayner
  • Hunt v Charlie
  • Rivers v McCarthy
  • salo loose?

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

The Charlie matchup is tough. Hibbo was excellent last time but it would be good for Hunt to get a crack. Glad we'll likely have both. 

Hibbo surely gets the Rayner match up.? 

1 hour ago, Demon3 said:

ok.. so what are the match ups/ Lions fwds v Dees defenders

• Daniher v May
  • Petty v McStay
  • Lever v Hipwwod?
  • Hibbo v Rayner
  • Hunt v Charlie
  • Rivers v McCarthy
  • salo loose?

So where do you think Bailey is going to play Demon3 or do you have inside knowledge that he's injured?

And your choice of Hunt on Cameron is logical based on pace, but against that is the fact that Cameron plays largely from the goalsquare and the last time we thrust Hunt into that position (against Sydney's Papley and Heeney if you have forgotten) he spent the next six weeks in the VFL because he was blamed for losing pivotal contests. The person who lost the pivotal contest was the fella who nominated to play him in that role and there has been no suggestion anywhere of that nuff-nuff losing some of his coaching salary.

Hunt showed on Saturday his value as a running defender - he was the only one who didn't go down the left side like Goody's zombies and the result was that our forwards got a decent chance to score when he got it.

Hunt will most likely play on Bailey who is mega quick as well, but plays more half-forward than goalsquare like Charlie.

Daniher and Hipwood are the two major dangers so May and Petty will get them, Lever will get McStay or when he's off Rayner. That leaves Salem on McCarthy and Rivers on Rayner. Poor old Hibbo will have to get Cameron which ain't ideal but Hibbo is such a great user of his body in one-on-one contests around the goalsquare  that it has to be him.

What should happen is that Rivers should be dropped and that Brayshaw goes back to defence and is told to try and switch the ball on occasions rather than just going down the line to a contest like zombies that we do. Harmes would then come into the midfield rotation.

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

So where do you think Bailey is going to play Demon3 or do you have inside knowledge that he's injured?

And your choice of Hunt on Cameron is logical based on pace, but against that is the fact that Cameron plays largely from the goalsquare and the last time we thrust Hunt into that position (against Sydney's Papley and Heeney if you have forgotten) he spent the next six weeks in the VFL because he was blamed for losing pivotal contests. The person who lost the pivotal contest was the fella who nominated to play him in that role and there has been no suggestion anywhere of that nuff-nuff losing some of his coaching salary.

Hunt showed on Saturday his value as a running defender - he was the only one who didn't go down the left side like Goody's zombies and the result was that our forwards got a decent chance to score when he got it.

Hunt will most likely play on Bailey who is mega quick as well, but plays more half-forward than goalsquare like Charlie.

Daniher and Hipwood are the two major dangers so May and Petty will get them, Lever will get McStay or when he's off Rayner. That leaves Salem on McCarthy and Rivers on Rayner. Poor old Hibbo will have to get Cameron which ain't ideal but Hibbo is such a great user of his body in one-on-one contests around the goalsquare  that it has to be him.

What should happen is that Rivers should be dropped and that Brayshaw goes back to defence and is told to try and switch the ball on occasions rather than just going down the line to a contest like zombies that we do. Harmes would then come into the midfield rotation.

What should also happen is that Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy. But that won't happen because Goody doesn't like changing a side and will stick with a small forward as sub (or Harmes if he doesn't get a recall). When you are premiers your coach can do nothing and have an immediate justification - we are premiers after all, what do you know. The fact that we've lost six of our past 11 games and everyone has figured us out as one-trick ponies is irrelevant - because we are premiers and it is almost heresy to suggest change.

Our only hope is that our middle quartet get enough decent centre bounce clearances to provide a winning score, because we sure as hell ain't going to win by simply playing the left side ... again and again and again.

I have no knowledge of Bailey, assuming he plays, will probably go through the middle a bit changing with Rayner.

Agree you dont want Hunt to close to goal and defending one on one, but that all depends if we let their ball movement happen that way, We were pretty awful v Sydney, didnt have May there either that night, Tomlinson got destroyed and they exploited us down back. Reckon it will be different this time.

Hibberd is a great match up for Rayner, who they will play through a bit, he is in form and plays tall and small. 

i know we have lost 6 of our last 11, games are hard to win especially when we are not playing at the optimum level, but in those wins have been Brisbane and Freo and Carlton.. all top 8 sides.  

Just my thoughts, thats why i asked the question.

10 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

You do know that:

1. we beat Carlton; and
  2. last time we played Brisbane, we belted them

right?

Because this post reads like you think the opposite.

• Like 4

Brisbane average 104 points a game for v the bottom 10 sides and 90 per game for v the top 8 sides.

They also average 73 points against v bottom 10 sides and 94.4 points against v the top 8 sides.

The difference between how they dictate play against weaker sides and good sides is very different and they fall apart once the pressure is turned up.

The backline match ups won't matter too much if we can pressure them through the middle and not allow them easy run. Do that and we go a long way to winning this game.

The pressure is firmly on them as they are known to collapse in big games and have a horrid finals record.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

55 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

This should be in the dictionary as the perfect definition of irony.

• Haha 2

Harmes in due to his rd. 15 scalp over him Neale. Although I'm hoping he wasn't on Neale in the final last year as Neale got 46!

I know Sparrow was one of our 22 premiership heroes but I think it's time he gets dropped after a couple of 10 possession games. I like him at times, but I feel as though Harmes is a more important rotation in the midfield this week with Neale on the other side.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Deespicable said:

Joel Smith should be the sub, so that he can cover almost any injury scenario for us, including playing on Charlie if Hibbo does his hammy.

Late last year, Charlie got goal-side of Smith and away a few times for goals.  I would much rather trust Hibberd than Smith or Hunt.  Rayner is quick but not as tricky,  i.e. Hunt or better Salem who the data on-line during the match says is much quicker than he looks; should bends the knees more just for appearances.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Adams and Ah Chee have been ruled out by the Lions according to AFL.com. 12 days after concussion so must have been close. Payne and Prior are big downgrades imo

Bring the pressure and toughness on Friday and we are a red hot chance!

• Like 2

On 8/16/2022 at 3:42 PM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Harmes in due to his rd. 15 scalp over him Neale. Although I'm hoping he wasn't on Neale in the final last year as Neale got 46!

I know Sparrow was one of our 22 premiership heroes but I think it's time he gets dropped after a couple of 10 possession games. I like him at times, but I feel as though Harmes is a more important rotation in the midfield this week with Neale on the other side.

I agree harmes over sparrow offers more to the team. The 5 day break playing on a wet ground in Casey might be a factor, but he was sub the week previous with Casey having a bye  so hopefully he is fresh

Nothing to do with changes but not worth a new thread.

I’m heading to the game Sat night. My mate is a Lions member but has not been to a game so is not familiar with the club app.

He’s sent me a QR code that I gather was on his membership card. 
Does anyone know if that will get me into the ground?

9 minutes ago, M_9 said:

I’m heading to the game Sat night. My mate is a Lions member but has not been to a game so is not familiar with the club app.

It will as long as it has not been used

35 minutes ago, Pulp Fritschon said:

In: Harmes

Out: Rivers

Brayshaw back to the backline. Brayshaw granted had 38 touches but think we need to make the midfield all about Tracc and Oliver - like in 2021. 

In Harmes

Out Spargo

Supersub Smith

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, M_9 said:

It should, but you might want to go on Friday instead of Saturday.

Edited by Nascent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, binman said:

It will as long as it has not been used

Used by someone else for entry to that  game?

I don’t want to get to the ground and not be able to get in. GABBA site says all tickets must be pre purchased and Ticketmaster says ‘low supply’. I think there’ll be a crowd,

Edited by M_9

18 minutes ago, M_9 said:

Used by someone else for entry to that  game?

I don’t want to get to the ground and not be able to get in. GABBA site says all tickets must be pre purchased and Ticketmaster says ‘low supply’. I think there’ll be a crowd,

If your mate has a valid GA barcode fron his membesship and he isn't going to use it then you can.

He might have to 'get" his ticket by downloading it now in case GA sells out, but I assume all members GA tix have to be honoured.

Although only into any GA area.

Edited by binman