Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

POSTMATCH: Rd 22 vs Carlton


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

Jake Melksham rises from ordinary to high level AFL player when his confidence in his obvious ability is high.  He is up and about at the right end of the season and shows his class when firing.

I had him written off the list at half time of the game Vs Port at Alice and he turned it on after the break.

Just goes to show what a bit of self belief can do.

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites



The gameplan almost cost us the game despite Carlton rarely using the corridor.

Handballs along the boundary line mean you're going slowly the long way round.

We know it won't win us a flag and will fail against Richmond, Swans and Pies. Probably Geelong as well. It's not just about forward play but our defence pushes up prepared to leave attackers goal side. Looks good if the opposition are doing dump kicks from our forward line but if they can release the overlap we fail and the opposition can score easily.

Too late to change the plan but I'm hoping for some strong centre clearances a la bang bang bang to take us home.

Let's win next week and then see what the fresh September grass can deliver

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Understand why Petracca needs to spend more minutes forward but thought he should have  been in the middle for the last few ball ups. And Melksham wow just wow thought he turned the clock back to 2018, has been building each week though. the more I thought of it did he even play that well in 2018 ?

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are 5-3 since the bye. With 2 of those losses, probably deserving to win, and we got lucky stealing one we maybe didn’t deserve last night. 

Beat the lions with more compelling ball movement, and our form line heading into finals is not as bad as many suggest. Especially given we will have played 6 top 8 sides since the bye, 9th, 11th and the crows. 

scratching my head like others with the game style, team selection, & not trying more alternatives in the fwd line, but let’s just hope there is method in the madness and the FD know exactly what they are doing. 

 

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Why can't we occasionally zip through the corridor though? Sometimes you just need to throw caution to the wind and do it 

Hunt did in the dying minutes and it paid off big time. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

The gameplan almost cost us the game despite Carlton rarely using the corridor.

Handballs along the boundary line mean you're going slowly the long way round.

We know it won't win us a flag and will fail against Richmond, Swans and Pies. Probably Geelong as well. It's not just about forward play but our defence pushes up prepared to leave attackers goal side. Looks good if the opposition are doing dump kicks from our forward line but if they can release the overlap we fail and the opposition can score easily.

Too late to change the plan but I'm hoping for some strong centre clearances a la bang bang bang to take us home.

Let's win next week and then see what the fresh September grass can deliver

Which is why forward pressure is a critical component of our gameplan. Our system relies on forward pressure causing dump kicks out of our forward line that can be mopped up by Max, May, Lever, Petty.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Watched the last 2 minutes again. The standard of commentary is absolute and utter garbage. Koz kicks one of the most clutch goals of the season, and all McLachlan can do is waffle on about the team being beaten and how disappointing it is for them. What about celebrating the skill and effort on display to do what looked impossible?

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1
  • Angry 1
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Watched the last 2 minutes again. The standard of commentary is absolute and utter garbage. Koz kicks one of the most clutch goals of the season, and all McLachlan can do is waffle on about the team being beaten and how disappointing it is for them. What about celebrating the skill and effort on display to do what looked impossible?

I've given up on footy commentary, which is now just insipid fan calling.

I just watch the action and the commentary has become nothing more than  irrelevant background noise.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Watched the last 2 minutes again. The standard of commentary is absolute and utter garbage. Koz kicks one of the most clutch goals of the season, and all McLachlan can do is waffle on about the team being beaten and how disappointing it is for them. What about celebrating the skill and effort on display to do what looked impossible?

I loved the bit about their broken hearts.
Be good to look back on in future years 😎👍


 

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey, does anyone know why Kozzy was so angry with Newns after he kicked the winning goal? He was ropeable ... I'm guessing, but perhaps Newns had been continually holding/scragging him? 

  • Like 2
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, layzie said:

Why can't we occasionally zip through the corridor though? Sometimes you just need to throw caution to the wind and do it 

Because the coach has drilled into them... boundary line first especially on the other team's half of the ground

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Hey, does anyone know why Kozzy was so angry with Newns after he kicked the winning goal? He was ropeable ... I'm guessing, but perhaps Newns had been continually holding/scragging him? 

He got dragged to the ground 3 times off the ball in the last quarter way off the play. They really went after him.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5
  • Angry 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

He got dragged to the ground 3 times off the ball in the last quarter way off the play. They really went after him.

I personally love that he kicks the winner and turns around to give the guy a spray and a shove. His team mates had to stop him by celebrating it. It was such a big FU right in his face.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


What a cracking match. The tape can go straight to the pool-room. Put it in a soundproof box, though, so we don't have to listen to Hamish whatshisface try and ruin an all time classic MFC win on the bell with his bemoaning the fortunes of the losing team's supporters. He can [censored] right off.

I still can't understand how any Dees supporter can't be absolutely rapt that this is what we are living through. 

Onwards. Go Dees

  • Like 5
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Melksham turning back the clock, doing things he’d do on a regular basis in 2018. That mark at the end was absolutely ridiculous, in no way should he have marked that. 

Kozzy is such a special talent, haven’t seen a small forward as special as him since Flash (not being disrespectful to Jeffy and Aussie, but Kozzy is another level). 

As mentioned by others, the commentators were friggen awful but you could tell they wanted the story of Carlton getting into finals so stuff em!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

Watched the last 2 minutes again. The standard of commentary is absolute and utter garbage. Koz kicks one of the most clutch goals of the season, and all McLachlan can do is waffle on about the team being beaten and how disappointing it is for them. What about celebrating the skill and effort on display to do what looked impossible?

When you look at the $ paid for tv rights, it is simply amazing that they can’t improve the standard of commentary 

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goodwin's refusal to tinker with anything in game will be what brings us undone this year. 

Unfortunately, opposition sides know exactly what to do to disarm us in cartain plays which Goodwin seems to to ignore. 

Can't believe we won that game.

Surely at some stage of the match, we opt to change the kick out strategy, even slightly. Carlton continued to outnumber us around where May was kicking out to from full back. And we just kept persisting. Why? 

Our defence and contest have kept this seasons chugging along but next year we need to go to town on some other aspects of our game that are so vanilla. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Goodwin's refusal to tinker with anything in game will be what brings us undone this year. 

Unfortunately, opposition sides know exactly what to do to disarm us in cartain plays which Goodwin seems to to ignore. 

Can't believe we won that game.

Surely at some stage of the match, we opt to change the kick out strategy, even slightly. Carlton continued to outnumber us around where May was kicking out to from full back. And we just kept persisting. Why? 

Our defence and contest have kept this seasons chugging along but next year we need to go to town on some other aspects of our game that are so vanilla. 

We don't seem to make much change in game...nothing obvious like moving Moore to FF.

...but we have made substantial change to our set up in the 2nd half of the season.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, loges said:

Understand why Petracca needs to spend more minutes forward but thought he should have  been in the middle for the last few ball ups. And Melksham wow just wow thought he turned the clock back to 2018, has been building each week though. the more I thought of it did he even play that well in 2018 ?

Yes. 1st in assists below.. to go with 33 goals.

Screen Shot 2022-08-15 at 00.15.25.png

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

10 hours ago, monoccular said:

Hunt did in the dying minutes and it paid off big time. 

 

9 hours ago, Redleg said:

He will be reprimanded.

 

By @george_on_the_outer on tonights pod? :laugh: Just Kidding!

I'm sure we can all agree that Hunt breaking the lines is brilliant for us when he's hitting targets, and boy was he doing it on Saturday night. Excellent by foot!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...