Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTMATCH: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

57 minutes ago, BW511 said:

I have a feeling over the last few weeks that Viney is trying to do a bit too much, slipping back into old habits.

This was an absolute howler and I also felt like he tried to take on Cripps a couple of times and the big body just swallowed him whole.

I think big mids will be what we see teams employ often as it negates the strength our guys have (strength in contest).

Geelong did it very will with Blicavs and we were much less dominant with Cripps around the ball 

Nothing can negate Viney's strength except kryptonite.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Love your Avatar.

Reminds me of those footy cards we used to get in sunnycrust bread.

Maybe it is.

Or maybe I'm just too old.

Very similar.  I loved that series.  Def showing our age.

This one's the ABC Radio 3LO version.  There's a few ripper retro one's around.

Love the old 1970s or was it early 80s Demon the Demon Army has up lately.  Looked great on the box agter Kozzy's amazing goal on Sat

• Like 2

2 hours ago, COVID Dan said:

Great won by the boys. Was great to see them get reward for effort.

I did want to bring this up and I'm not sure if it has already 

Screenshot_20220815-190002.thumb.png.f6aeef0071a8ac79ab5234564ad63f08.png

This photo for me highlights my biggest concern coming in to the business end of the season. Viney should have hit up nibbler on the lead.

It's not just Viney, our mids inability to hit easy F50 targets reduces our ability to score and soak up opposition pressure.

That kick should have been made. The game should have been sealed then 

Ouch

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Huh? So if we win, we shouldn’t point out anything we could have done better? What happened to the concept of continual improvement? I am sure that particular play would have been discussed by the coaches in the review. Or maybe it shouldn’t have been… after all, we won.

It’s what you think we could have done better….I haven’t read/heard from any coach/player that it was preferred option ?  My point was unnecessary nit picking. 

• Facepalm 1

23 hours ago, Redleg said:

He will be reprimanded.

Like Neil Crompton was by the late great Norm Smith for leaving the back line in the 1964 GF. 🤗❤️💙❤️💙🏆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Apologies if it’s been mentioned elsewhere and I’ve missed it, but did we send Fritsch to the backline for the last 11 seconds? This photo on the siren suggests so and on the replay it looks like it just can’t quite make out if it’s him. Wonder if this was planned for a tight finish or decided on the spot.
AA86D5F5-F936-47FF-9DA4-B6167170E158.thumb.jpeg.44d812a3e2f310ec0bf81621f6a47ed7.jpeg

It seems so. It's cut off from the broadcast but when play resumes at the bounce after Pickett's goal there isn't a wing on the Langdon side. When they get the ball and kick it forward you can see Fritsch running into the backline. You also see Langdon running up from half forward.

I wasn't at the game so someone else may be able to confirm but it looks like we would have started Fritsch at the back of the square at the bounce and sent Langdon to his spot in the forward line, so that we could push Fritsch back as a spare marking defender.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, djr said:

I stated in my thread that we do have forward connection issues, as we did at this time last year. In that context we are tracking similar to 2021.

In terms of pressure, you're saying that you haven't been impressed with our pressure over the last three weeks. Those matches were played at a frantic finals pace. You then assume that because we had three wins in a row coming into the final round last year, we are far better prepared. So, who did we play against? 3 bottom sides, Suns, Eagles and Crows. We almost lost the Eagles game. This year we have played 3 finals teams and won 2 out of 3 with Collingwood just getting over the line against us. I will argue that this is a far better preparation than last year.

The clearance stat is meaningless. Last year we lost the clearance count against the Crows and broke even against the Eagles.

The clearance stat isn't everything that's true, but I do want to ask is it as meaningless as it was last year when we had our back 6 in perfect harmony and our pressure was simply off the charts forcing intercept marks left, right and centre? 

It's not everything of course but in my mind winning clearances this time around seems to have some more importance. 

Edited by layzie
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

It seems so. It's cut off from the broadcast but when play resumes at the bounce after Pickett's goal there isn't a wing on the Langdon side. When they get the ball and kick it forward you can see Fritsch running into the backline. You also see Langdon running up from half forward.

I wasn't at the game so someone else may be able to confirm but it looks like we would have started Fritsch at the back of the square at the bounce and sent Langdon to his spot in the forward line, so that we could push Fritsch back as a spare marking defender.

You have to start 6,6,6 so it is likely Langdon was as far back (left of screen) as possible. Its a defensive set up that Collingwood used all day against us last week  Their wings run in off the back of the pack to stop 'out the front' clearances or alternatively as an avenue to run past and collect a handball from their mids before roosting it fwd

• Like 3

17 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

935801FE-45F7-4F34-B137-B3DA721C3A0E.thumb.jpeg.e11960c0cf0489909430abd2989c8648.jpeg

WCW can you tell me being at the other end of the ground when the winning goal was kicked, how hard was it to see what was happening?

• Like 1

I'd say in all likelihood that Fritsch started that centre bounce on the wing. I wish I could rewind the vision in my head from Level 2 of the Warne stand but I vaguely remember more numbers coming round that side? Definitely makes sense to see a good marking player down there for a Carlton hack kick into 50. 

• Like 1

I'm glad to hear we planned for what to do near the end of a close match when behind.  And possibly putting Frisch as far back as allowed at the centre bounce when ahead.  But why has Gawn not planned what to do at the centre bounce with 10 seconds to go? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sue said:

I'm glad to hear we planned for what to do near the end of a close match when behind.  And possibly putting Frisch as far back as allowed at the centre bounce when ahead.  But why has Gawn not planned what to do at the centre bounce with 10 seconds to go? 

Let's just hope there's either a perfectly good explanation or some learnings to take from it. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, layzie said:

The clearance sat isn't everything that's true, but I do want to ask is it as meaningless as it was last year when we had our back 6 in perfect harmony and our pressure was simply off the charts forcing intercept marks left right and centre? 

It's not everything of course but in my mind winning clearances this time around seems to have a some more importance. 

I understand what you're saying, especially since our midfield is stronger this year with the addition of Gus. I don't believe the clearance metric is more important than last year. When you compare this year's clearance stat to last year's, you'll notice that they're very similar. Interestingly, the Cats, Demons, and Swans are all mid table at present (7,8&9). We were ranked fifth last year.

In terms of pressure, if you accept that contested possessions are a good indicator of whether a team is mentally switched on, you'll find that we've been ranked #1 both years, with only one point higher last year.

You are correct that pressure causes opposition errors and intercepts. Once again, the stats are comparable to last year. This year we are ranked second behind the Pies for intercepts. We were ranked #1 last year. I'm not sure if you'd call that a drop-off.

These figures will surprise some people who believe we are doing much worse than last year, despite the fact that the metrics are very similar. I agree that we have connection problems, but if you agree that loading is a factor in the team's inability to run and overlap, then hopefully this will not be an issue in the future. Fingers crossed.

Edited by djr
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, djr said:

I understand what you're saying, especially since our midfield is stronger this year with the addition of Gus. I don't believe the clearance metric is more important this year. When you compare this year's clearance stat to last year's, you'll notice that they're very similar. Interestingly, the Cats, Demons, and Swans are all mid table at present (7,8&9). We were ranked fifth last year.

In terms of pressure, if you accept that contested possessions are a good indicator of whether a team is mentally switched on, you'll find that we've been ranked #1 both years, with only one point higher last year.

You are correct that pressure causes opposition errors and intercepts. Once again, the stats are comparable to last year. This year we are ranked second behind the Pies for intercepts. We were ranked #1 last year. I'm not sure if you'd call that a drop-off.

These figures will surprise some people who believe we are doing much worse than last year, despite the fact that the metrics are very similar. I agree that we have connection problems, but if you agree that loading is a factor in the team's inability to run and overlap, then hopefully this will not be an issue in the future. Fingers crossed.

Great post, some very fine points you make there.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, loges said:

WCW can you tell me being at the other end of the ground when the winning goal was kicked, how hard was it to see what was happening?

I saw absolutely nothing. It’s difficult to see the action from the opposite end as it is, but given the heightened emotions at that point, it was impossible. (Also doesn’t help when you’re sitting with your head in your hands crying already coz you’ve conceded defeat.) 😁

Most of us only knew a goal had been scored by the reaction of the fans in the adjoining bay or if looking at the big screen. I don’t even remember the time between that goal and the siren.

We go nuts as it is after every goal in every match. So you can imagine this celebration was next level, off the charts, absolutely wild. 
Put it this way, I woke the next day with literally no voice, not even the standard raspy one of other mornings-after. And I was shocked to see that I have bruises, many of them, on my legs! And a few around my rib cage. The sharp-edged seats at the ‘G are not excited revellers’ friends. Nor are the flagpoles, nor even the giant heads. Our area looked like a bomb had gone off. I’m not the only one battered and bruised either. But not one of us is complaining. 😊
#SquadLife

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I saw absolutely nothing. It’s difficult to see the action from the opposite end as it is, but given the heightened emotions at that point, it was impossible. (Also doesn’t help when you’re sitting with your head in your hands crying already coz you’ve conceded defeat.) 😁

Most of us only knew a goal had been scored by the reaction of the fans in the adjoining bay or if looking at the big screen. I don’t even remember the time between that goal and the siren.

We go nuts as it is after every goal in every match. So you can imagine this celebration was next level, off the charts, absolutely wild. 
Put it this way, I woke the next day with literally no voice, not even the standard raspy one of other mornings-after. And I was shocked to see that I have bruises, many of them, on my legs! And a few around my rib cage. The sharp-edged seats at the ‘G are not excited revellers’ friends. Nor are the flagpoles, nor even the giant heads. Our area looked like a bomb had gone off. I’m not the only one battered and bruised either. But not one of us is complaining. 😊

Perhaps you could ..... err ... post some pics...... of the err bruises WCW.

.......................(leer ……. leer)

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Perhaps you could ..... err ... post some pics...... of the err bruises WCW.

.......................(leer ……. leer)

No need to post them. They’re pinned up on a notice board at St Kilda police station for all the world to see. 
Unrelated: “but my team just won a nail-biter” is not a valid defence for D &D. 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

No need to post them. They’re pinned up on a notice board at St Kilda police station for all the world to see. 
Unrelated: “but my team just won a nail-biter” is not a valid defence for D &D. 

Should be.

• Haha 1

Just now, Neil Crompton said:

You sure you and BBO aren’t related?

I doubt it. As far as I know I don’t have any dirty old uncles in my family. 🤔 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I booked 4 tickets...2 for my daughter and fiance and one for me and a mate.

My daughters living in melb for a spell and I was driving down from Wollongong...Australia's premier city minus anything good. And that word premier.

Anywho...got fairly crook and couldn't go so I gave mine to my mates mate.

The idiots left after the blues got 9 points up.

Tuned in on the car radio and realised they blew my money.

I probably would have knicked off as well being the true believer I am😃 but it wasn't the 55 per tix blown....it was the missed glory and sweet win over such a one eyed mob of blues fans.

And the look of utter hopelessness.

Edited by leave it to deever
  • Haha 1