• Podcast:      

• Podcast:     

TEAMS: Rd 22 vs Carlton

Demonland

1 hour ago, layzie said:

Meh, that's like saying the club doctor could lose their license if they allow the medi-sub to come on from a faked injury!

Is it really? Novel.

46 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Was just interested in your opinion mate. TBH I'm on the fence about both Harmes and Melksham being important for us. Melksham has been better than I expected since coming in, but personally I would prefer a tall forward in his spot, just think that would help our forward problems particularly when we have Ben Brown roaming so high up the ground so often.

Yeh well I think part of the reason Melk has come in to play that role is because of the trouble we've had with our own key talls either being outmarked or positioned by key defenders so his inclusion was born out of necessity. 

Harmes is just too vanilla for me. And if he doesn't have a lock down role, I'd much rather us explore a more dynamic mid to take his place at season's end. A player with composure and great ball use. 

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

Yes, he's playing an important role and doing it well. 

Harmes should be a mainstayer but his inconsistency is infuriating. He is at prime age. So the fact that he can't get back into the side says a bit imo.

What's your point?

His inconsistency is infuriating ?

He has (per game vs Melksham)

Consistently had more disposals 
Consistently more tackles
Consistently more inside 50s
Consistently more contested and uncontested possessions
Consistently more effective disposals
Consistently higher disposal efficiency
Consistently higher 1%ers
Consistently higher tackles inside F50

Seems a bit inconsistent that he isn't in the team when Jake is if you ask me - yes I get they may have played different positions but James Harmes can hit the scoreboard. He has proven to be our best negating player over and over again when asked to do a job. He is the same height and weight as Melksham and personally I'd like to see a direct swap 

I think Goodwin is a Melksham fan so what we think matters not 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Yeh well I think part of the reason Melk has come in to play that role is because of the trouble we've had with our own key talls either being outmarked or positioned by key defenders so his inclusion was born out of necessity. 

Harmes is just too vanilla for me. And if he doesn't have a lock down role, I'd much rather us explore a more dynamic mid to take his place at season's end. A player with composure and great ball use. 

Yeah the second key forward has been a problem, but on the flipside Melksham has taken 1 contested mark in the last 4 weeks since playing that kind of role so not sure it helps us not be outmarked inside 50. If he's going to be picked, I'd prefer him outside 50 delivering to our forwards as I reckon he and Spargo are our best users going forward.

Agree on Harmes' ball use, can hurt us at times. Not sure how get the trade currency to bring in a better quality mid than him this year though given how much we need to do in the forward and ruck spaces.

Melkshams kicking is a huge part of why he's in the side. the Club identified the need for higher efficiency going inside 50 and Melksham is elite in that space. he's also a surprisingly good 1v1 player and very smart, he generally goes to a good player and keeps them fairly accountable. 

He's in the team for the rest of the year in my opinion, i think our efficiency in terms of creating opportunities has spiked since he's come in

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Melkshams kicking is a huge part of why he's in the side. the Club identified the need for higher efficiency going inside 50 and Melksham is elite in that space.

Agree on that, which is why I'd prefer him higher up the ground rather than being a 'key forward' target for Ben Brown to deliver to. Just seems a backwards setup atm to me.

Melksham had 0 inside 50s against the Pies and has had only 7 in total over the last 4 weeks.

Edited by Lord Nev
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Agree on that, which is why I'd prefer him higher up the ground rather than being a 'key forward' target for Ben Brown to deliver to. Just seems a backwards setup atm to me.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to him trying to drag an opponent deep and out of the way, but i agree, having Ben Brown as the deepest forward player makes a lot of sense

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Sydee said:

His inconsistency is infuriating ?

He has (per game vs Melksham)

Consistently had more disposals 
Consistently more tackles
Consistently more inside 50s
Consistently more contested and uncontested possessions
Consistently more effective disposals
Consistently higher disposal efficiency
Consistently higher 1%ers
Consistently higher tackles inside F50

Seems a bit inconsistent that he isn't in the team when Jake is if you ask me - yes I get they may have played different positions but James Harmes can hit the scoreboard. He has proven to be our best negating player over and over again when asked to do a job. He is the same height and weight as Melksham and personally I'd like to see a direct swap 

I think Goodwin is a Melksham fan so what we think matters not 

Melksham knows his limitations pretty much. Doesn't think he's the star. As a leading mid sized forward I'd definitely take melksham. Harmes can easily pick up 20+ in the middle, yes, and has a better goal sense than Clarry or even Trac, but Brayshaw can get more and make a lot smarter decisions with the footy. Purely in terms of team balance, need of more of a pure forward than pure mid, we take Melksham.

Harmes is stiff, yes, but they are no like for like swaps and it was immediately clear from the bounce v Freo how much better our structure was with Gus 

Edited by Clayton spirit
  • Like 2

Anyone know when the womens curtain raiser starts?  and can you get in with your barcode for the mens game?  assume so as it's only a praccy match

1 hour ago, Clayton spirit said:

Melksham knows his limitations pretty much. Doesn't think he's the star. As a leading mid sized forward I'd definitely take melksham. Harmes can easily pick up 20+ in the middle, yes, and has a better goal sense than Clarry or even Trac, but Brayshaw can get more and make a lot smarter decisions with the footy. Purely in terms of team balance, need of more of a pure forward than pure mid, we take Melksham.

Harmes is stiff, yes, but they are no like for like swaps and it was immediately clear from the bounce v Freo how much better our structure was with Gus 

I was thinking Harmes to play the defensive forward role in place of Melksham not a midfield role 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

I wouldn't be surprised if it was due to him trying to drag an opponent deep and out of the way, but i agree, having Ben Brown as the deepest forward player makes a lot of sense

How many teams have gone well in the finals with just one tall key forward?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Anyone know when the womens curtain raiser starts?  and can you get in with your barcode for the mens game?  assume so as it's only a praccy match

Gates open at 415 Dub, so I'm guessing the sheilas start shortly thereafter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Gates open at 415 Dub, so I'm guessing the sheilas start shortly thereafter.

The ladies start at 4.40 BBO 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Swooper1987 said:

Gawn has a career goalkicking record of 86 goals 78 behinds and this season has kicked 11 goals 13 behinds.  After the Swans game he was on 11 goals 9 behinds.  By comparison Petracca has kicked 16 goals 27 behinds.  Gawn's last couple of games have had some average shots, but over the season he's not far off 50/50.  If Tracc had been anywhere near that we win at least two more games, and top 2 is locked away.

Good point swooper. Seems like a couple of the boys need to work on their goal kicking. 

8 minutes ago, adonski said:

Harmes is no good so I'm not surprised he's not in

But then I see Sparrow & ANB in the side who are even no gooder and I get the shakes 🤮

You occasionally remind me of Range Rover, who was a particularly heinous and nauseating poser on here years ago.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if already mentioned, but there's some talk (not super reliable at this stage) Chandler and Bedford are in COVID protocols, so if Kozzy was to miss, and if the talk in the training thread is on point, then could be we see Laurie in for Kozzy tomorrow.

All unconfirmed info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Shocked 1

If it hasn't already been mentioned, we have an AFLW Practice match tomorrow at the MCG vs Carlton.

Gates open 4:15pm. Game starts 4.40pm

Just incase anyone feels like a double header  🙂

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Not sure if already mentioned, but there's some talk (not super reliable at this stage) Chandler and Bedford are in COVID protocols, so if Kozzy was to miss, and if the talk in the training thread is on point, then could be we see Laurie in for Kozzy tomorrow.

All unconfirmed info.

Chandler and Bedford out of Casey's side. May explain it

Does anyone know if the Spencil is back? Jake Spencer named in Casey's side

29 minutes ago, adonski said:

Harmes is no good so I'm not surprised he's not in

But then I see Sparrow & ANB in the side who are even no gooder and I get the shakes 🤮

19 minutes ago, rpfc said:

You occasionally remind me of Range Rover, who was a particularly heinous and nauseating poser on here years ago.

I like Harmes...he annoys me at times when he tries to take on too much but other than that I reckon he's alright.

...and there are some 'RR' similarities 'rpfc', have they been seen in the same room?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

All unconfirmed info.

Kozzy was at training though, admittedly wrapped up like a mummy. But this would explain why Laurie was preferred to Chandler.

2 minutes ago, Mickey said:

Chandler and Bedford out of Casey's side. May explain it

Does anyone know if the Spencil is back? Jake Spencer named in Casey's side

We've canned the idea to get Grundy and will go with the equally talented Jake Spencer.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Kozzy was at training though, admittedly wrapped up like a mummy. But this would explain why Laurie was preferred to Chandler.

Yeah, was more referring to where someone said they had the group cheer in the middle similar to when it's announced someone will debut.

• Like 3