Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Demons won't win the flag in 2022.



Recommended Posts


9 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

This thread clearly.  Ps the earth wont blow up tmw. 

Great convo mate .thanks for contributing..

I love the irony of you trying to insult me because you're upset about what I've got to say.

Don't look in the mirror anytime soon mate 

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, COVID Dan said:

Great convo mate .thanks for contributing..

I love the irony of you trying to insult me because you're upset about what I've got to say.

Don't look in the mirror anytime soon mate 

 

I have no emotion of this thread except its telling me the likely odds. Lol. Like i said. Keep going. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, praha said:

Elephant in the room...

We're still a small club that can't consistently perform in big games in the big smoke.

We won it last year, a fantastic achievement, on the road in front of a handful of local supporters and rent-a-crowds. Sorry but it's true.

Twice against Collingwood, Twice against Sydney, Geelong, and almost Carlton... every single time we've played "the big boys" in Melbourne in battles between contenders this year we have been comprehensively beaten in the contest with pressure.

It's great if you're a good travelling team during the season but in finals it's irrelevant when all your games are at the MCG in front of 80k+... 

I don't want to understate the significance of last year's flag at all, but this year is legitimate "big boys" finals on the big stage and we've really buckled on almost every occasion. 

There was a shot of a Swans supporter doing the choking motion last night and it's pretty accurate.

As soon as things returned to normal and perennial contenders Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong come back onto the scene, we've been deers in headlights. We're so close yet so far.

To lose against Collingwood and Sydney TWICE on the MCG in the fashion we have is an indictment on the season in my view. Taking nothing away from those teams at all but we have been way off it on the REAL big stage this season.

We turned it up on the other side of the country when most of us were locked up at home and couldn't even celebrate, away from the stress and scrutiny of Melbourne. Now the big boys are out to play and we're still a league below.

Last night was just so typically Melbourne in outcome. I know I'm being harsh but it's been an obvious trend this year.

You can always follow another team…..

  • Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

You can always follow another team…..

Well you know that's not an option...

I'm just calling it like I see it. Not saying we aren't capable but let's get real. We aren't going to get respect from the big boys until we start doing what we did last year on the big stage at the MCG.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, praha said:

Elephant in the room...

We're still a small club that can't consistently perform in big games in the big smoke.

We won it last year, a fantastic achievement, on the road in front of a handful of local supporters and rent-a-crowds. Sorry but it's true.

Twice against Collingwood, Twice against Sydney, Geelong, and almost Carlton... every single time we've played "the big boys" in Melbourne in battles between contenders this year we have been comprehensively beaten in the contest with pressure.

It's great if you're a good travelling team during the season but in finals it's irrelevant when all your games are at the MCG in front of 80k+... 

I don't want to understate the significance of last year's flag at all, but this year is legitimate "big boys" finals on the big stage and we've really buckled on almost every occasion. 

There was a shot of a Swans supporter doing the choking motion last night and it's pretty accurate.

As soon as things returned to normal and perennial contenders Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong come back onto the scene, we've been deers in headlights. We're so close yet so far.

To lose against Collingwood and Sydney TWICE on the MCG in the fashion we have is an indictment on the season in my view. Taking nothing away from those teams at all but we have been way off it on the REAL big stage this season.

We turned it up on the other side of the country when most of us were locked up at home and couldn't even celebrate, away from the stress and scrutiny of Melbourne. Now the big boys are out to play and we're still a league below.

Last night was just so typically Melbourne in outcome. I know I'm being harsh but it's been an obvious trend this year.

Spot on. Certain members of the playing group seem to have big issues handling the pressure of big games in front of big crowds. We aren't a serious contender this year.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Certain members of the playing group seem to have big issues handling the pressure of big games in front of big crowds.

they went alright in front of the big crowd in the granny last year

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BDA said:

they went alright in front of the big crowd in the granny last year

Like Praha said, it was a rent-a-crowd, nothing at all like a pro-Pies packed MCG. There were fools decked out in full Bulldogs costume celebrating with our players as they did their lap of honour with the cup FFS.

Edited by leucopogon
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, leucopogon said:

Like Praha said, it was a rent-a-crowd, nothing at all like a pro-Pies packed MCG. There were fools decked out in full Bulldogs costume celebrating with our players as they did their lap of honour with the cup FFS.

There have been a lot of reasons cited today for why we lose at the G (our record is bad no denying it) but the idea that the players have a problem playing in front of crowds there is laughable.

What is it exactly about the crowds at the G that somehow affects these players?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

MFCSS from our home crowds infecting the players, the anxiety of letting down your long suffering supporters. Who knows? 

I'm 100% more confident when we play away, just seems to galvanize the team for some inexplicable reason.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BDA said:

What are you on about?

Who said anything about good enough is near enough. There was enough wrist slitting in the bad old days and it didn't get us anywhere

The club is well run and managed. The FD know what they are doing and have delivered a flag. We have champion players and can bounce back. 

This thread. Seriously

I would suggest the entire implication of ‘just enjoying the ride’ and ‘anything’ which comes next, is a ‘hell of a lot better’ than anything we experienced prior to the 2021 premiership is absolutely correlative of suggesting ‘near enough is good enough’; at least in the context of this discussion. 

Expressing serious concern about our demonstrated shortcomings is hardly ‘wrist slitting’, especially when it’s off the back of a premiership. 
 

I never suggested the club wasn’t currently well run, nor did I infer that the current FD erred in their decisions. 
 

I did state there’s an inherent ‘weakness’ or ‘softness’ within the MFC supporter base, which is, in my opinion, unlike that of any other club.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Imo the result today couldn’t have been better for us. We struggle against the pies and Sydney because of their elite pressure, they must be in the top 3 for pressure in the comp.

I was barracking for Geelong because I think they can be handled better by our boys in a PF. Geelong are bottom 8 for pressure just like us. I honestly think they are a bit overrated. Geelong almost got beaten by the pies whose profile is actually pretty average except for defensively.

If we can beat the lions and beat Geelong (they will remember how we dismantled them) and play swans or pies in a GF anything can happen. Petracca should be mostly recovered from his fracture in 3 weeks. It’s not all over yet.

Edited by Deenooos_
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

Imo the result today couldn’t have been better for us. We struggle against the pies and Sydney because of their elite pressure, they must be in the top 3 for pressure in the comp.

I was barracking for Geelong because I think they can be handled better by our boys in a PF. Geelong are bottom 8 for pressure just like us. I honestly think they are a bit overrated. Geelong almost got beaten by the pies whose profile is actually pretty average except for defensively.

If we can beat the lions and beat Geelong (they will remember how we dismantled them) and play swans or pies in a GF anything can happen. Petracca should be mostly recovered from his fracture in 3 weeks. It’s not all over yet.

At quarter-time In our game, despite being a couple of goals up my overriding thoughts were that Sydney’s pressure was better and we didn’t handle pressure as well as them.

As a result, we fumbled and got caught a lot and for me that was one of the biggest reasons we lost.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

At quarter-time In our game, despite being a couple of goals up my overriding thoughts were that Sydney’s pressure was better and we didn’t handle pressure as well as them.

As a result, we fumbled and got caught a lot and for me that was one of the biggest reasons we lost.

Yeh tbh for some reason pressure completely dismantles our game which is odd because it's part of footy. I wonder if the teams in last year's finals were poor pressure sides or were we able to handle it better?

I guess there's no way around Sydney or Coll so I don't see us winning but making a prelim or granny is huge even if we come up short. We will have to look at how we can become a better pressure side over the summer because we need to get back up into the top 5 in the comp like 2021.

When I look at our young guys nobody can really bash them for being mediocre at times or inconsistent: Sparrow, Spargo, Rivers, Jackson, Pickett, Jordon are all under 22 and are already showing their talent. I can't wait for next year after another full preseason and think JVR will probably become a consistent part of our forward line!

We will be top 2/3 again next year and the hunger will be back. I think the whole year has just been mentally and physically draining and that's understandable.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We'll beat the Lions next Friday because they are bottle jobs

I'm confident we can handle the cats in a prelim. Danger, Selwood, Hawkins contributed little yesterday

Swans in a GF? Hmm. I don't know but there's ever chance we'll be there and on the day who knows. Plus it'll be a mostly an AFL crowd so perhaps relieves the crowd pressure factor some think is an issue

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Until we win a game against a top 4 side, I suspect Melbourne supporters will be twiddling their thumbs on 24 Sep.

Friday night was a chance to atone our record against one of our bogey sides (Collingwood being the other) and put in a rare excellent MCG performance. We once again failed.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Was there on Friday night, and watched our body language after Swans kicked the first goal of the 4th quarter. I knew we were beaten then, no discussion, heads down, walking back to centre, hands on hips.

Form over the last 10 weeks suggests Cats, Swans and Pies are the clear top 3. I think one of these 3 will go all the way.

Then its us, Lions and Freo, who have been hit and miss.

Any team can still win it if you're in it, but the likelihood the bottom 3 win 3 in a row is highly unlikely.

Prove me wrong Dees.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Until we win a game against a top 4 side, I suspect Melbourne supporters will be twiddling their thumbs on 24 Sep.

Friday night was a chance to atone our record against one of our bogey sides (Collingwood being the other) and put in a rare excellent MCG performance. We once again failed.

Yes it was a chance to atone BUT if you actually review the last two games against the Swans we were in a winning position - same with the pies 

We are not far off winning those games and if we play our best footy and don’t have major brain fades we can beat any of the remaining teams including Collingwood and Swans 

I don’t really rate Brisbane or Dockers but there is next to nothing between the other four and they all have a real chance  this year

Our form at the MCG has been a worry but there is no reason why they can’t change quickly - it was fine in 2018 when we last had finals there

Friday night we looked terribly flat from the first bounce and still looked in control until Buddy flopped to get a 50m penalty and goal (one of three goals from 50m penalties btw) and then Max tried a ridiculous pass that led to another gift and just like that momentum shifted and they got their tails up 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Until we win a game against a top 4 side, I suspect Melbourne supporters will be twiddling their thumbs on 24 Sep.

Friday night was a chance to atone our record against one of our bogey sides (Collingwood being the other) and put in a rare excellent MCG performance. We once again failed.

Agree. Both Geelong and Collingwood played exceptionally well yesterday. Levels above us unfortunately. 
 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Deenooos_ said:

Yeh tbh for some reason pressure completely dismantles our game which is odd because it's part of footy. I wonder if the teams in last year's finals were poor pressure sides or were we able to handle it better?

I guess there's no way around Sydney or Coll so I don't see us winning but making a prelim or granny is huge even if we come up short. We will have to look at how we can become a better pressure side over the summer because we need to get back up into the top 5 in the comp like 2021.

When I look at our young guys nobody can really bash them for being mediocre at times or inconsistent: Sparrow, Spargo, Rivers, Jackson, Pickett, Jordon are all under 22 and are already showing their talent. I can't wait for next year after another full preseason and think JVR will probably become a consistent part of our forward line!

We will be top 2/3 again next year and the hunger will be back. I think the whole year has just been mentally and physically draining and that's understandable.

 I think our success comes from our system, however our insistence on the system is also our downfall.

We are great when the game is on our terms and we can control it. When Pies/Swans type teams really come at us and can use skill to pick us apart, there is no Plan B. Our mids are elite at winning contests, granted, however they would be well below in every other metric.

We are seriously flirting the line of being   ‘front runners’.

Edited by BW511
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not buying the doom and gloom.  I've seen enough sides in identical positions to us now (with even worse form coming into finals) make GF's or actually win it.  Dropping the first final isn't necessarily an impediment to winning a flag. Just this century you've got Brisbane in 2003, Sydney in 2005, West Coast in 2006, Hawthorn in 2015, Richmond 2020; then teams who have made the GF after losing in week 1 include Sydney in 2016, Collingwood in 2018 and Geelong in 2020 just in the last 6 years.  Add to that the Bulldogs who won a flag and made another GF (2016 and 2021) playing each week. 

Very historical but both flags our own coach played in were 4 week finals campaigns - in 1997 they won them all and in 1998 they lost the first one then got three in a row to claim back to back. Let's hope history repeats.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, praha said:

Elephant in the room...

We're still a small club that can't consistently perform in big games in the big smoke.

We won it last year, a fantastic achievement, on the road in front of a handful of local supporters and rent-a-crowds. Sorry but it's true.

Twice against Collingwood, Twice against Sydney, Geelong, and almost Carlton... every single time we've played "the big boys" in Melbourne in battles between contenders this year we have been comprehensively beaten in the contest with pressure.

It's great if you're a good travelling team during the season but in finals it's irrelevant when all your games are at the MCG in front of 80k+... 

I don't want to understate the significance of last year's flag at all, but this year is legitimate "big boys" finals on the big stage and we've really buckled on almost every occasion. 

There was a shot of a Swans supporter doing the choking motion last night and it's pretty accurate.

As soon as things returned to normal and perennial contenders Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong come back onto the scene, we've been deers in headlights. We're so close yet so far.

To lose against Collingwood and Sydney TWICE on the MCG in the fashion we have is an indictment on the season in my view. Taking nothing away from those teams at all but we have been way off it on the REAL big stage this season.

We turned it up on the other side of the country when most of us were locked up at home and couldn't even celebrate, away from the stress and scrutiny of Melbourne. Now the big boys are out to play and we're still a league below.

Last night was just so typically Melbourne in outcome. I know I'm being harsh but it's been an obvious trend this year.

We have our backs to the wall now. Do or die. Let’s see if this makes a change to the dynamics to the way we play. Due to early wins banked we have been in a comfort zone with most losses having little effect on our standing. We have let other sides pressure us with too much reciprocating. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DAISY DOES IT by Whispering Jack

    The Gold Coast has been treated to a feast of womens football over the past couple of days. On Friday night, the Brisbane Lions claimed flag favouritism when they knocked the Adelaide Crows off their second placed perch at Metricon Stadium. Then on Saturday evening at the same venue, the Melbourne Demons consolidated their hold on that vacated second spot when, they ruthlessly smashed a finals contender in consecutive weeks, this time the home town favourites, the Suns.    It was a case

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...