Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

CHANGES: Rd 22 vs Carlton



Recommended Posts

17 hours ago, SFebes said:

Yes I'd love to see it and if it actually means anything. I do know that the in game "pressure rating" is very pivotal for momentum shifts and whether a side is "on" however its very frustrating to not know whether this is the actual rating. When we are "on" our pressure rating is 200+

Pressure and all may be a factor but an even more concerning stat is that we are ranked 18th for scores from turnover mentioned on 'On the Couch'. For reference we were ranked 5th for this stat last year and the previous 4 premiers all in the top 4.

But this stat is also indirectly correlated to our pressure so they are interlinked and if it isn't addressed soon it will cost us big time.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites




10 minutes ago, doc roet said:

I'd like to see Bowey tried as as small forward. Is fast, gutsy, smart and gets a lot of the ball. 

I really like this.. i think him fwd of centre would help and should be tried. Id easily give him a try. 

ANB is a leader, and he is a goer and he is always trying, but right now he is caught in no mans land. He is playing a bit higher up the ground, not impacting, and therefor not impacting fwd pressure. Not sure what his role is at the moment.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

What a surprise Picket calling for Spargo to be dropped,

Must be permanent cut and paste, unbelievable what you can’t see or more likely too pigheaded to acknowledge you don’t understand 

Your footy IQ is severely lacking

Amazing to think that a player ( who plays as a FORWARD ) does niether, get enough posessions nor kick enough goals. Oh thats right he is in the side because of his pressure! Spare me, a forward needs to KICK GOALS, thats why they are forwards, Get It!??

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Demon3 said:

I really like this.. i think him fwd of centre would help and should be tried. Id easily give him a try. 

ANB is a leader, and he is a goer and he is always trying, but right now he is caught in no mans land. He is playing a bit higher up the ground, not impacting, and therefor not impacting fwd pressure. Not sure what his role is at the moment.

ANB is ranked as elite for tackles and pressure acts this season. He sacrifices his game to enable others to play there's. Our gut run players are critical for team structure. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

ANB is ranked as elite for tackles and pressure acts this season. He sacrifices his game to enable others to play there's. Our gut run players are critical for team structure. 

Fair call. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

ANB is ranked as elite for tackles and pressure acts this season. He sacrifices his game to enable others to play there's. Our gut run players are critical for team structure. 

That's fine if he didn't cough the ball up through fumbling or getting caught in possession, because he's been slow in mind and body. I didn't need stats to disprove what I'm seeing.

I just read all the definitions of Pressure Acts. They are so broad, it borders on meaningless. The only Pressure Act that is relevant is one which results in a turnover by the opposition or a stoppage. In a recent Crows game, Laird and Gray had something like 40 tackles combined, and they lost the game. 

I've had no issue with ANB for a season and a half, but since the bye, he's been out of form. And our team structures have been dissected by the better teams who are prepared to take us on. Something needs to change.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, mo64 said:

That's fine if he didn't cough the ball up through fumbling or getting caught in possession, because he's been slow in mind and body. I didn't need stats to disprove what I'm seeing.

I just read all the definitions of Pressure Acts. They are so broad, it borders on meaningless. The only Pressure Act that is relevant is one which results in a turnover by the opposition or a stoppage. In a recent Crows game, Laird and Gray had something like 40 tackles combined, and they lost the game. 

I've had no issue with ANB for a season and a half, but since the bye, he's been out of form. And our team structures have been dissected by the better teams who are prepared to take us on. Something needs to change.

That's it in a nutshell. ANB is horribly out of form - with the ball. Without the ball his running, pressure & work-rate are all still there. However if he was to be dropped, we need to find someone who can perform his function at his level & better. I don't think that's Chandler nor Bedford nor Lawrie. I wonder if that could be Harmes or perhaps Jordan with Brayshaw then returning to the wing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, mo64 said:

That's fine if he didn't cough the ball up through fumbling or getting caught in possession, because he's been slow in mind and body. I didn't need stats to disprove what I'm seeing.

I just read all the definitions of Pressure Acts. They are so broad, it borders on meaningless. The only Pressure Act that is relevant is one which results in a turnover by the opposition or a stoppage. In a recent Crows game, Laird and Gray had something like 40 tackles combined, and they lost the game. 

I've had no issue with ANB for a season and a half, but since the bye, he's been out of form. And our team structures have been dissected by the better teams who are prepared to take us on. Something needs to change.

‘Pressure Acts’ are stats for stats sake.

1.2 points for “corralling” , big deal.

If ANB is to be so well regarded for his ‘pressure acts’ and leadership, and not winning the ball, disposing it well and hitting the scoreboard, then lets start officially counting the number of fumbles and poor choices he makes.

 

  • Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Demonland:

ANB's pressure acts aren't worth a cracker, drop him! 

MFC are 17th for pressure acts - the sky is falling!

  • Like 8
  • Love 2
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, picket fence said:

Amazing to think that a player ( who plays as a FORWARD ) does niether, get enough posessions nor kick enough goals. Oh thats right he is in the side because of his pressure! Spare me, a forward needs to KICK GOALS, thats why they are forwards, Get It!??

Thank you for reinforcing my comments on your footy IQ.

Apologies also to ever Deelander who wasted their hard earned backing Spargo to win the Coleman

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

FYI

Demon ladies bounce is 4:40pm on Sat at the G. Practice match only but the chance to redeem themselves after the GF loss begins

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DubDee said:

FYI

Demon ladies bounce is 4:40pm on Sat at the G. Practice match only but the chance to redeem themselves after the GF loss begins

Maybe we put a helmet on Tayla Harris and play in the mens?? Show them how to hit the pack hard

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

ANB is ranked as elite for tackles and pressure acts this season. He sacrifices his game to enable others to play there's. Our gut run players are critical for team structure. 

I don’t think anyone is questioning his gut running and defensive skills - they are excellent. But it’s his offensive skills that are really letting him, and the team down over the last 6 or so games. It’s all very well to run and tackle, but all that good work gets negated when he turns the ball over so regularly. 
He’s regressed to the ANB of 2 seasons ago, and no one wants to see that player re-emerge. Hopefully a couple of games in the 2’s will get his decision making, confidence and skill set working again - back to where they generally have been for the last season and a half.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

I don’t think anyone is questioning his gut running and defensive skills - they are excellent. But it’s his offensive skills that are really letting him, and the team down over the last 6 or so games. It’s all very well to run and tackle, but all that good work gets negated when he turns the ball over so regularly. 
He’s regressed to the ANB of 2 seasons ago, and no one wants to see that player re-emerge. Hopefully a couple of games in the 2’s will get his decision making, confidence and skill set working again - back to where they generally have been for the last season and a half.

I understand the lack of offense but I don't think he should be the scape Goat. His poor offense is symptomatic of the whole team.

Petracca, Oliver and viney deserve way more blame. They rack possessions and waste them regularly. ANB was not the main player dump kicking it into the forward line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Pennant St Dee said:

Thank you for reinforcing my comments on your footy IQ.

Apologies also to ever Deelander who wasted their hard earned backing Spargo to win the Coleman

Can you explain why Spargo only had 59% game time last week, the lowest in the team? And as a comparison, since the bye, Spargo averages 65% game time compared to Kozzie's 85% game time. You'd think the more seasoned player would have more game time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

I understand the lack of offense but I don't think he should be the scape Goat. His poor offense is symptomatic of the whole team.

Petracca, Oliver and viney deserve way more blame. They rack possessions and waste them regularly. ANB was not the main player dump kicking it into the forward line.

Lol, ANB couldn't get a clean possession. We have other structural and game plan issues, but ANB is out of form, pure and simple.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm ready to swap Melksham for JVR.

It may not work but we are going nowhere over the next 4-6 weeks with this forward setup.

Chandler is the conservative addition. His VFL form is excellent but I wonder if he can deliver at AFL level

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't there a stat that said 46% of Spargo's inside 50's result in a mark, which is the best in the comp? And our next best player is Viney at 19% which is the league avg and every other player is below. Dropping Spargo sounds like a great way to fix our forward connection :laugh:

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 10
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

We are really missing that 2nd tall. Gawn just doesn't kick straight enough to be a threat. I think it's time to unleash the Rooy. In van Rooyen and Harmes out Melksham and Sparrow.

At times it wasn't even that Gawn was playing second tall. At the first siren Jackson was ruck, Gawn FF and Brown was .....on the bench! Whats the point they may as well have started Max ruck, Brown FF and Jackson on the bench (like they often do).

Max has played much more time forward in recent weeks, is that because we are lacking tall forwards or to protect Max before September?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Wasn't there a stat that said 46% of Spargo's inside 50's result in a mark, which is the best in the comp? And our next best player is Viney at 19% which is the league avg and every other player is below. Dropping Spargo sounds like a great way to fix our forward connection :laugh:

Since you have all the Champion Data stats, can you tell me how many inside 50's Spargo averages since the bye? Just as a comparison, Spargo averages 11 possessions per game, whilst Viney averages 30. If Spargo is averaging 46% of 2, does that make him a lock in the team?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pressure acts and pressure ratings are two different things I believe. The rating is what is made up of corralling and all those other grades of pressure acts.

But by sheer weight of numbers ANB is never below 20 pressure acts a game. If you ever just soley watch him in a game all he does is run, run and run some more. Massive part of the structure, yes I'd like him to do more with the footy but I wouldn't be dropping him.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...