Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 21 vs Collingwood

Demonland

Probably counted 4-5 times, players in acres of space being ignored going into our F-50. Instead we kick it high and to the boundary line against a defence that has two of the best intercept markers and a ruckman that is 3 miles tall. 

We don’t take the best options going forward and miss opportunities that other teams take in a heartbeat. We literally make it harder on ourselves and I don’t understand why as this seems like an incredibly easy thing to fix. We burn so many leads or opportunities.

Edited by BoBo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Gutted. One of the best games I've been to...probably ever. And of course, we're on the wrong side at the end. The train just broke into a Collingwood chant. 

Is the loading conspiracy dead? 

Same theme again tonight as all of our losses. All were blamed on loading despite no confirmatory evidence. 

Sometimes you just need to admit that your gameplan has been worked out and that other teams want it more. It's been clear all year, even when we won 10 in a row. 

The fact we are As close as we are without a dominant key forward is just absurd. The fact Geelong are gettable' despite having two is an indictment on them. 

Can't argue with 11 in a row. I will say I don't think it's sustainable, but I've already been proven wrong. I don't think any defence can setup when the ball moves that fast. Blink and you'll miss it. They added an absolutely elite 18 yo half back and it changed their side. All credit to them - if they can win a flag in this style it will be one of the Better ones. Every premier revolutionised something - maybe Collingwood have broken zone defence. 

Its utterly deflating and utterly painful. I've not seen dees fans look that wrenched for a long time. 

Be kind to your families folks. We have last year. They don't. I'm hanging onto that and they can't take that away from me 

• Like 4
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

halfway through the third.

Was clear to me early in the third that we would get run down. Their pressure game was building, and we were clearly failing to match it, gifting them extra confidence as their intensity overwhelmed us. Post-loading, this shouldn’t be happening. Why it is? Who the F knows! The biggest issue for me was their ability to carve us up through the middle and with space around the wings and flanks on the switch, almost running at will into a spacious forward line. We had zero answer for this, and they exploited it beautifully. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

That one stings, because the first half was premiership standard football, we maybe could have converted slightly better but overall pretty happy, and then just hit a bit of a wall, not too sure why. 

thought we found a little bit of energy in the last but the Pies just handled the moment a little bit better. 

It stings a bit to drop that game, but not too worried in the bigger picture

The concern for me overall is that for the second time in 3 weeks our team defense has been found lacking. we seem to get sucked into the fast paced shootout style game with teams very easily and it just doesn't suit us. 

I went to a night with May and Lever 10 days ago and I remember May saying the lose to the Dogs was uncharacteristic and Goody gave them a spray saying we don’t get into shoot outs it’s not our brand we need to shutdown the oppositions run and suffocate them. So even though we were 3 goals up at half time and dominating the stats I was thinking we are still playing this game on their terms, not ours. And guess what happened. With our forward line we can’t expect to win fast flowing shootouts. Oh for a Lynch or Hawkins just to get a few easy goals from a high kick in and a solid mark by a key forward. We just don’t get those and have to work hard for every score, only tonight to see the Pies slingshot the ball out of our 50 and low and hard into their forward 50 taking May and Lever out of the equation. Of course chaos ball into your 50 and getting 3 frees in front of goal for incorrect disposal helps big time. I am not sure why you would pick the ball in heavy traffic as a backman these days. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Ben said:

The crowd felt like an extra man at times, much like on QB. We don’t have the voice or numbers of their army.

Their crowd noise were insane.

Ours were.. err okay?

• Like 2

Win or lose the '22 flag, our forward line needs a serious rejig in the off season. We struggle to maintain possession inside forward 50 and our forwards fail to take accountability for their defensive man.

Aside from Fritsch and Pickett, we also lack consistent scoring options. Spargo and ANB, while handy foot soldiers, don't kick enough goals to be threatening. Try as he might, Ben Brown's body is near cooked. Weideman and M.Brown have both shown that neither are the answer, and it seems that are hopes for this season are pinned on either a near 30 old coming off a 4 month foot injury or a 19 old yet to play a senior game. 

Here's hoping our recruiters have a few tricks up their sleeve during the trade/draft period.

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 3

A lot and probably most of our forward 50 entries were ineffective and wasteful.  My eyes told me that only about 35% of those inside 50's were fruitful.  We never really looked dangerous when we went forward.  By contrast, they did (all night)

Bombed the ball to the pockets on a number of occasions where often nothing came of that tactic.  Other times those entries resulted in a boundary throw in at half forward

In other words, nothing entries most of the time.  Other teams have worked out how to defend those long bombs to the forward pocket.  We've now lost 6 of our last 10 games

The Pies on the other hand were extremely effective with their inside 50 entries.  So much so that they nearly always looked like scoring when they went forward (at least 75% of the time)

They switched the play well, didn't fumble, used the corridor well and are highly skilled.  Their forwards play in front and constantly present to the ball carrier.  That's far and above being a one trick pony

By contrast, our forwards are often caught playing from behind.  Low percentage football and you can't play like that in September

We need to fix our forward line woes and the entries need to be far more efficient 

So if you do the maths, even though we won the inside 50 count 65-41, the real numbers were more like 25 to 30 (in their favour)

And there lies the difference, we were wasteful and they weren't wasteful

As a consequence, they win

And we got beaten fair and square

Zero excuses

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Mr Steve said:

Last point, as much as it hurt would have hurt a lot more if it been a final. They won't get us next time.

Didn't we all say that after Queen's Birthday?

17 minutes ago, Webber said:

Manifest nonsense. They’ve done it for 11 weeks, for the same result. That’s the definition of sustainable. Manic pressure and supreme confidence in their ability to win contests have made them Geelong’s obvious challenger. They were outstanding tonight, and exposed us badly on every line. Fabulous defence, brilliant ball movement, manic tackling, and an ability to create 1 on 1 contests in the forward line, which they won more often than not. Nothing about their game is unsustainable when you have that essential self-belief. And they are crazy fit. 

They're setting records for smallest margins across 4, 5, 6, 7 consecutive wins.

Their percentage is 106%.

They are living on a knife's edge. Games decided by less than two goals are not determined solely by skill, they necessarily involve luck.

7 minutes ago, praha said:

I am okay with losing tonight.

We played a good team that many (including here) have underrated for too long.

It was 65 inside 50s to 41. That is a 24 difference and we still lost. That is both an indictment on our offensive and a reflection of Collingwood's defense which again has been underrated all season.

Clubs including Melbourne are allowing them to clear it via the flanks and then through the corridor with nauseating ease.

We haven't played at the MCG for 7 weeks and it [censored] showed tonight.

The club needs to flex some muscle and make sure that never [censored] happens again.

I am so [censored] at the club tonight. Collingwood 100% deserved to win. But imagine your first home game in 6 weeks being this game. We were showed up.

We aren't in [censored] Perth anymore. Grow some balls next year and make sure this never happens again

Couldn't agree more on this. Prior to tonight we'd played six consecutive games at different venues, in four different States/Territories. It's an unbelievably ridiculous fixture, for a reigning premier to boot.

No side should spend five straight weeks without a (genuine) home game.

(PS: not suggesting this is why we lost, given they were on consecutive six-day breaks and we had the extra day's break going into this game).

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Fork 'em said:

You smile if you're cocky and think the game will pan out anyway.

Is that right? In other words, how the F would you know how Christian Salem is feeling, thinking, invested or committed, just because he smiled. FMD,  this presumptuous juvenile garbage drives me insane. Wake up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

3 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Their crowd noise were insane.

Ours were.. err okay?

Nah, they are flat track bullies. Very quiet until they gained momentum in the third.

We do need to be more loud though, but I think at moments we were. Specially in the 4th, trying to rally the boys to a victory.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Webber said:

Is that right? In other words, how the F would you know how Christian Salem is feeling, thinking, invested or committed, just because he smiled. FMD,  this presumptuous juvenile garbage drives me insane. Wake up. 

Fork you fool.
We lost the game to poor kicking.

Edited by Fork 'em

30 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

I hate their supporters. People on the train home watching the replay loudly and trying to antagonise and start fights. 

Same I sat in a Melbourne area that borders the MCC and they're fans where not interested in sticking it to us then cheering on their team

Edited by Bates Mate

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Didn't we all say that after Queen's Birthday?

They're setting records for smallest margins across 4, 5, 6, 7 consecutive wins.

Their percentage is 106%.

They are living on a knife's edge. Games decided by less than two goals are not determined solely by skill, they necessarily involve luck.

Couldn't agree more on this. Prior to tonight we'd played six consecutive games at different venues, in four different States/Territories. It's an unbelievably ridiculous fixture, for a reigning premier to boot.

No side should spend five straight weeks without a (genuine) home game.

(PS: not suggesting this is why we lost, given they were on consecutive six-day breaks and we had the extra day's break going into this game).

I am so angry at the club tonight for this alone. It was SOOO obvious. We looked like we had no idea how to play the ground.

The club needs to start flexing some [censored] muscle here. Even if we don't win this year. How many clubs have EVER played 6 consecutive games AWAY from their home during home and away

4 minutes ago, Demon_spurs said:

Players should be made to travel home on the train and listen to the Collingwood supporters mock us. Thanks guys

Are  you serious? Don't worry about the mocking. It's character building and who cares how Collingwood supporters behave? Pretty much what you'd expect. 

• Vomit 1