Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

What's next for Adem Yze?

Demonland

Can't help but love the sh it show that is Essendon. I was hoping to see a premiership live this year and was gutted when it didn't happen

But [censored] me , the goings on at Essendrug continue to ease my pain. You couldn't script it - it's a thing of beauty and delight.  High fantasy ! If it was a tv soap opera you'd  never leave room. Just wait for the next episode.

2h

I for one would like to take this moment to thank Thorburn for his contribution to our club as CEO - it was a truly glorious time, as we didn’t lose a single game during his tenure.

2h

I for one would like to take this moment to thank Thorburn for his contribution to our club as CEO - it was a truCacanly glorious time, as we didn’t lose a single game during his tenure.

2h

I for one would like to take this moment to thank Thorburn for his contribution to our club as CEO - it was a truly glorious time, as we didn’t lose a single game during his tenure.

c

2h

2h

• Haha 5

On 10/1/2022 at 8:15 PM, rpfc said:

Oh I know.

Its fantastic.

And with Yze not there I can actively root for their failure.

Hell, with a Scott in there I might get my voodoo dolls out

I swear I made the voodoo doll look like Brad Scott…

Close enough. 

• Haha 2

Love the hypotheticals about those of other beliefs and the supposed hypocrisy. A CEO is a leader in the organisation and this ain’t no bank (to commit fraud with) this is a living breathing organism called a club that has 50k+ women as members, colleagues, and stakeholders, and recently stood up a women’s team that would be nowhere without the LBTQI community. 

You take on that role at a club and you have to accept that these are the people you represent and you have to lead and drive toward shared values.

He doesn’t share the values of that footy club and was (magnanimously) given the choice of chairing that church or leading the club and he chose what he believes in.

So best for all concerned.

Oh and he ain’t a victim. His former clients at NAB however…

• Like 6
  • Love 1

36 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Can't help but love the sh it show that is Essendon. I was hoping to see a premiership live this year and was gutted when it didn't happen

But [censored] me , the goings on at Essendrug continue to ease my pain. You couldn't script it - it's a thing of beauty and delight.  High fantasy ! If it was a tv soap opera you'd  never leave room. Just wait for the next episode.

What a first week for Brad Scott, get potted by a board member in the paper the day after you get signed, who openly proclaims they wanted someone else, have a new CEO hired and fired and now watch on as the board explodes as a result. Much better than justifying terrible umpiring decisions and score reviews Brad?

Jist brilliant. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

47 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

Not sure what you are getting at? It is clear that not all 'Churches' serve God. My point was A) he is obviously morally flexible having been a CEO of a Big four bank, B) On so many levels being a banker (as demonstrated by numerous scandals, fees for no service, money laundering, wage theft, etc) is inimical to being a 'Good' Christian. Thus he was perfectly suited to Essendon (was always going to be a lightening rod though).  

And by the way not describing myself as a good anything, especially Christian, but I aspire to do better. I also 100% respect belief and the right to have beliefs, but draw the line big time at pushing any agenda that limits someone/anyone's' right to a fair go. 

My point is: I am yet to see a Poor Church, they make money out of people’s fear and not paying Tax. 
there are no “Good” & “Bad” Churches 

They may have different names and serve different “Cloud Fairies” but they all take in Bucketloads of Cash

Thorburn obviously thought he could run the NAB in similiar fashion 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

My point is: I am yet to see a Poor Church, they make money out of people’s fear and not paying Tax. 
there are no “Good” & “Bad” Churches 

They may have different names and serve different “Cloud Fairies” but they all take in Bucketloads of Cash

This is absolute rubbish.

It may be your experience; but to paint all with this brush is incredibly ignorant.

I'm not religious in any way, but I know plenty of people who have spent their lives serving others through their church, religious organisation or just purely because that's how they decided to embody their beliefs - none of them are even remotely well off.

Absolutely there are plenty of examples of harm being done and exploitation in the name of religion, but this is just simply not the case for every single person who affiliates with such beliefs.

Just hyperbole and ridiculous generalisations, even by your standards.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

This is absolute rubbish.

It may be your experience; but to paint all with this brush is incredibly ignorant.

I'm not religious in any way, but I know plenty of people who have spent their lives serving others through their church, religious organisation or just purely because that's how they decided to embody their beliefs - none of them are even remotely well off.

Absolutely there are plenty of examples of harm being done and exploitation in the name of religion, but this is just simply not the case for every single person who affiliates with such beliefs.

Just hyperbole and ridiculous generalisations, even by your standards.

The Churches are always very well off

Do some digging Nev

Dig Deep 

• Like 1

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

The Churches are always very well off

Do some digging Nev

Dig Deep 

I grew up in the church, including time as a youth social worker with one. Both my parents spent their lives in social work through a religious organisation - they don't even own a house.

I wager I know more about it than you and you're just further highlighting your ignorance.

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

I grew up in the church, including time as a youth social worker with one. Both my parents spent their lives in social work through a religious organisation - they don't even own a house.

I wager I know more about it than you and you're just further highlighting your ignorance.

You’re are looking at the Servants 

I am talking about The Organizations 

Big Difference

• Like 2

Just now, Sir Why You Little said:

You’re are looking at the Servants 

I am talking about The Organizations 

Big Difference

No, you're just wrong.

You have waved your hands around and made sweeping ignorant statements like you so often do, but you're wrong.

It may be your experience, but it's not everyone's experience, but I know that's something you will never understand.

And on it goes:

From The Age

Here’s what employment lawyer Josh Bornstein told ABC Radio Melbourne a few moments ago:

Based off [media reports] there’s a prima facie case of religious discrimination. If you say our values are that we don’t want to employ people who are gay or don’t like having women working for us who are pregnant ... then your values or your contracts or policies may run headlong into discrimination law. It’s a fundamental [point] that you can’t contract out of anti-discrimination law. You can’t have a contract that says if you fall pregant, you have to leave our organisation, for example.

LOL.  How stupid is that club to give Thornburn the 'Church Chairman or Club CEO' ultimatum.  Blind freddy could see the religious discrimination in that.

It would have been smarter but not by much if they used his forced resignation from NAB, after the Royal Commission, four years ago as the reason to stand down. 

The smartest thing would have been to do a proper search process and proper due diligence.  Instead it looks like 'job for the boys' as the guy hasn't been able to find a job in the corporate world since the NAB resignation.

But as always their cesspit is of their own making.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

No, you're just wrong.

You have waved your hands around and made sweeping ignorant statements like you so often do, but you're wrong.

It may be your experience, but it's not everyone's experience, but I know that's something you will never understand.

Just because you had good experiences with your church does not mean that there were/are issues and major problems with what we call Religion. To pretend your experience is universal, then to put down people who have differing experiences and points of view is, dare I say, rather unchristian of you. It's exactly the problem people like SWUL and millions of others have, myself included.

'Sweeping ignorant statements', indeed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Monbon said:

Just because you had good experiences with your church does not mean that there were/are issues and major problems with what we call Religion. To pretend your experience is universal, then to put down people who have differing experiences and points of view is, dare I say, rather unchristian of you. It's exactly the problem people like SWUL and millions of others have, myself included.

'Sweeping ignorant statements', indeed.

Mate, go back and read my posts on this, particularly where I said: Absolutely there are plenty of examples of harm being done and exploitation in the name of religion, but this is just simply not the case for every single person who affiliates with such beliefs.

I'm no fan of religion or churches, but to pain all with the same brush is cut and dry ignorance.

Nowhere did I say my experience is universal, in fact I was saying the complete opposite of that.

18 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

The smartest thing would have been to do a proper search process and proper due diligence.  Instead it looks like 'job for the boys' as the guy hasn't been able to find a job in the corporate world since the NAB resignation.

But as always their cesspit is of their own making.

Further support to the 'job for the boys' proposition.

From The Age:

"We were intrigued to learn, amid the furore on Wednesday over the brief tenure of Andrew Thorburn as boss of the Essendon footy club, that the Dons director assigned to support consultant EY’s work on the selection process was Dorothy Hisgrove.

That’s because Hisgrove worked with Thorburn at NAB in the noughties...  so it is interesting, to say the least, to ponder what position such an accomplished executive and a champion of women’s rights took on EY’s recommendation to hire a bloke who is chairman of an organisation – City on a Hill – that doesn’t allow women to sit on its board because “Eve was created Adam’s helper” and “eldership belongs to men”.

We sent questions to Hisgrove on Wednesday but have not had a response".

Very difficult for her to spin away that commentary. 

So it was Hisgrove that championed Thornburn as CEO, to the Ess board.

Her professional and personal credibility are shot.  Can't see her lasting long on the Ess Board.  I'm guessing their AFLW team will be pretty upset by her role in this.

They can't stop kicking 'own goals'!!

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Wilson7 said:

I think her views are just as abhorrent as his however she is not the CEO which makes it a completely different situation.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, Wilson7 said:

There is a great documentary series on Disney + called Fearless about the AFLW Season 2022 A. In the 3rd ep I think they go through this with the GWS girls. She has this desire to wear the normal jumper instead of the pride jumper and the AFLW says no, we want all our players representing support for the LGBTQIA community.

So she sat out and tried to be respectful to the other girls in her team. It looked pretty tough for all concerned.

It certainly wasn’t a leader of a church, that doesn’t trust women and doesn’t think gays should exist, suddenly leading an organisation and being asked that you can’t lead this club and lead and represent that church.

The straw man argument du jour seems to be ‘what if a Muslim was a CEO’ and my response would be; is he/she a leader of a mosque? What are the views of that mosque? And lastly, why hasn’t a Muslim been a CEO?

Probably because of the Boys Club saying that “their views don’t align with mainstream footy people or the community”…

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Mate, go back and read my posts on this, particularly where I said: Absolutely there are plenty of examples of harm being done and exploitation in the name of religion, but this is just simply not the case for every single person who affiliates with such beliefs.

I'm no fan of religion or churches, but to pain all with the same brush is cut and dry ignorance.

Nowhere did I say my experience is universal, in fact I was saying the complete opposite of that.

With respect LN, please consider this well-intentioned advice: on matters such as this you need to tread very, very carefully, particularly when coming from “your side” of the debate.

You have experienced the upside of religious adherence as explained in your earlier posts. And that’s great. You’re one of many who have. Again, that’s great. But when you’re dealing with folks on the “other side” of the debate, you need to remember that for every great result of religious adherence, there’s an abjectly miserable result of such. And a little extra sympathy and tact should be afforded purely because the people on the “other side” may well be coming from a place of irreparable damage, whereas you’re coming from a place wherein you’ve experienced all that’s good about it.

Sometimes you’ve gotta take off your steel-caps and put on a pair of slippers, is all. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

With respect LN, please consider this well-intentioned advice: on matters such as this you need to tread very, very carefully, particularly when coming from “your side” of the debate.

You have experienced the upside of religious adherence as explained in your earlier posts. And that’s great. You’re one of many who have. Again, that’s great. But when you’re dealing with folks on the “other side” of the debate, you need to remember that for every great result of religious adherence, there’s an abjectly miserable result of such. And a little extra sympathy and tact should be afforded purely because the people on the “other side” may well be coming from a place of irreparable damage, whereas you’re coming from a place wherein you’ve experienced all that’s good about it.

Sometimes you’ve gotta take off your steel-caps and put on a pair of slippers, is all. 

Sorry WCW, but I won't let people slander the good people I know, including people in my family, with generalisations based on their own personal experience. I don't think that's any different to 'their side'.

The difference in the two 'sides' here is I've openly said I appreciate my experiences (which weren't all good btw) aren't the same as everyone elses, yet the 'other side' is saying their experiences equal complete truth. That's just not right.

We wouldn't stand by and let people say racist things because they had experiences which led them to feel that way would we?

I'm no fan of religion, but I've known enough people involved in religious organisations who have spent their lives doing tremendous good for others to know it's simply not correct to label them all as terrible.

18 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Sorry WCW, but I won't let people slander the good people I know, including people in my family, with generalisations based on their own personal experience. I don't think that's any different to 'their side'.

The difference in the two 'sides' here is I've openly said I appreciate my experiences (which weren't all good btw) aren't the same as everyone elses, yet the 'other side' is saying their experiences equal complete truth. That's just not right.

We wouldn't stand by and let people say racist things because they had experiences which led them to feel that way would we?

I'm no fan of religion, but I've known enough people involved in religious organisations who have spent their lives doing tremendous good for others to know it's simply not correct to label them all as terrible.

I get that. And I agree wholeheartedly. My point is you should err on the side of super-sensitive in regards to the folks who are on the shi*tty end of the debate, even if they do generalise, which of course is not at all the right thing to do. But it’s understandable and sometimes even forgivable given where they’re coming from. An example: you share your reasons for believing that religion can and has effected great outcomes. Then I tell you that I can’t see it that way due to  having lost four family members (two by their own hand) as a direct result of their religious beliefs. Don’t you see that one of us really should exercise a little more sensitivity than the other?

This isn’t about who’s right and who’s wrong. It’s about empathy and acceptance of human frailties. 

• Like 3

On 10/4/2022 at 9:12 PM, Sir Why You Little said:

SWYL - I’ve never heard the term ‘Cloud Fairies’ before. Sounds like a brilliant band. Thanks, you made me laugh.

As for religions I can only speak on behalf of my experiences at Catholic school. My parish priest as a child was Gerald Ridsdale, my Year 8 coordinator was Robert Best. That’s number 1 and 2 in the most convicted sexual child abusers in the state. The church continues to pay their legal fees even though they’ve both been in jail for 25 years. I know victims, and as a teenager I was groomed by another Brother I’ve reported multiple times to the taskforce (and never had any reply).

Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but they can’t simply turn away from the truth of the pain that their organisations have created. That’s likes only following your team when they win the flag.

I only have 1 religion now. The Demons. Weirdly it doesn’t stop me praying to someone I dont think exists for a key position forward. 

• Like 6
  • Love 4