Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 21 vs Collingwood

Demonland

Weather for next Friday is a little rain and windy

Last year we excelled in those conditions playing our percentage system.

Not sure that it still works though

Harmes was quoted as saying he's fit to go next week

Edited by Diamond_Jim
  • Thinking 1

5 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Midfield looks so much better with Brayshaw in and I can't help but enjoy Harmes not playing.

For me Harmes is just so inconsistent in his play. Brayshaw is clean, sticks tackles, is far better in his defensive play and can contest in the air.

It’s a bit harsh to compare Harmes to Brayshaw straight up because Harmes really hasn’t played much on ball this year. He’s spent a lot of games predominantly at half forward, plus the 3rd winger minutes and then been the 5th guy on ball in short bursts (even less than Sparrow). He’s often getting the ball in the tricky half forward spots and then doing what every player bar Spargo does in those spots! Far easier to hit targets or safe long kicks in the sweeper mid role Gus played last night.

The other big change last night was to open room for Gus it meant Petracca played much more forward. And for the first time maybe all year that worked. Apart from the shoddy set shot goal kicking Tracc competed well, pressured well and hit more targets.

If we are to keep Gus on ball then we’re kind of back we were pre 2020 with a full midfield and Petracca not being the gun permanent mid. Gus will still cover the 3rd wing spot and the other mids can play some forward minutes not just Tracc, but we’ll still be given up a fair few centre bounces and on ball minutes. 

I think Goody sticks with it for another week but I wouldn’t be surprised if he didn’t. Or if he gave it a week then went back to Harmes at half forward to boost the speed and pressure there and get Tracc more in the guts again.

• Like 1

Would be quite happy to see JvR in but only if he's playing as the second key forward next to BBB or Weid. Can't put a 19yr old debutant as a sole key forward, that just sets him up for failure.

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, layzie said:

Why bring in JVR in this week when I can just re-watch QB 2009 again to see what happens?

So you think we will never play a debutante against the Pies ever? Hope we’re not as mentally soft as that. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Weather for next Friday is a little rain and windy

Last year we excelled in those conditions playing our percentage system.

Not sure that it still works though

Harmes was quoted as saying he's fit to go next week

How did we go last night in those conditions?

16 minutes ago, Nascent said:

Adams and Howe injured and will possibly miss on a 6 day turn around.

Apparently Howe copped a corky to the buttocks but will be fine to play. 

• Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

13 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Told him to stay away from Bucks.

• Haha 2

If Brown's fit, he comes in for Weideman.

If Jackson's unfit (he was hobbling at stages of the game), he shouldn't play. In that event, I reckon we'll bring Brown in for Jackson and give Weideman a reprieve, to play Jackson's role.

Big decision to make if Harmes is fit. Not sure who makes way. ANB is struggling on offence but he had 31 pressure acts, our second-most last night. We focused on being "ruthless" all week and our pressure is key. I reckon ANB's safe. Sparrow is similar, but IMO making more mistakes and with 19 pressure acts to ANB's 31, IMO he's more in the gun.

Cannot see an argument for Hunt or Rivers to be dropped, I thought both were good.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Redleg said:

I thought I saw them putting ice on the back of his leg.

McRae said it was his buttocks. 

16 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

McRae said it was his buttocks. 

while Pies playmaker Taylor Adams was subbed out at half-time with a groin issue and Jeremy Howe finished with a hip complaint.

Still think I saw them icing his leg. 6 day break may be important.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

Thanks, listening to one of broadcasts tonight someone said Howe had done a hammy.

Not sure now. @Redleg(above) said otherwise. Regardless, him not playing on Friday would be good. 

23 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

If Brown isn’t fit I would debut JVR. He can’t possibly give us less than Weideman. 

I have always supported Weideman and wanted to see him succeed, but the lack of effort tonight was unacceptable. Fine if you can’t take a mark, not fine if you stand and watch teammates trying to win the ball. Really disappointing. Needs to go. 

This is where I'm at too (assuming Brown is still not right). I understand not wanting to throw a kid to the wolves and not wanting to put him in before he has the fitness base to run out a game. But surely he won't offer less than what Weid did last night. Unless his fitness levels will impact our team defence I would give him the debut.

You can point to Watts' debut but sometimes it comes down to the character of the individual. Some people relish that kind of challenge and it encourages them to excel. If the coaches think JVR has it in him I'd love to see him suit up on Friday. Give the Pies something to think about as well.

Other than that the people talking about Sparrow and ANB being dropped have NFI. Am I watching the same games as them?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Not sure now. @Redleg(above) said otherwise. Regardless, him not playing on Friday would be good. 

I first heard corkie then the later game said hammy. Gut feel is just a corkie but sometimes those can be nasty and players can miss a week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Grouse said:

Nibbler struggled but I can't help wondering about what's happened Salem. He took one good contested mark and probably got his nose broken, but he just isn't impacting the play. Horribly out of form. His kicking high hospital passes rather than his normal lace out bullets. Has no confidence. At his best he is a freak. But I can't help wondering if bowey wouldn't be better atm untill he gets some form back. He won't be dropped but it's concerning he's not improving. Also, I wonder what impact tmac can havd being out for so long. Will possibly struggle for form as well once he's back. 

I think thoughts of TMc playing this year is wishful thinking. 

11 hours ago, deebunked said:

Please dont debut JVR against the filth. They'll plow into him  just like they did to Turner and others in past games.

…. and you think Carlscum, or Lions wouldn’t?  

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

If he does ply he needs another knee to the bum early in the game. Target it. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

This is where I'm at too (assuming Brown is still not right). I understand not wanting to throw a kid to the wolves and not wanting to put him in before he has the fitness base to run out a game. But surely he won't offer less than what Weid did last night. Unless his fitness levels will impact our team defence I would give him the debut.

You can point to Watts' debut but sometimes it comes down to the character of the individual. Some people relish that kind of challenge and it encourages them to excel. If the coaches think JVR has it in him I'd love to see him suit up on Friday. Give the Pies something to think about as well.

Other than that the people talking about Sparrow and ANB being dropped have NFI. Am I watching the same games as them?

As mentioned in another thread, Watts debuted in a pressure game in an underperforming team in a dysfunctional club as was seen as a saviour.  Only few mature on field leaders at the time.  JVR seems to thrive on contests and challenges.