Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Have you enjoyed season 2022?



Recommended Posts

It is a great question but I’m like a few others in saying that I haven’t enjoyed it as much as last year.  The expectation each week and not always delivering has made it more difficult.  In saying that I think we are still the best team in it and I can’t wait for the spring air and finals to come along.   Just hoping we hang on to our top 4 spot 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sort of/not really..

It was great to win the 10 games in the row but I suppose they weren't exciting games to watch to be honest. Maybe the St Kilda and Brisbane game were the two I enjoyed the most. Doggies round 1 was food also. I suppose after we won the granny I thought we would be like Hawthorn, Geelong and Richmond in their heydays where they played such exciting brand of footy but also high scoring as well. Yeah I'm picky, I know...

So many night games. Hate them. Cold miserable weather means supporters less incline to go.  Living in the country 4 hours away has made attending games extremely difficult. Saturday or Sunday afternoon is the ideal slot imo. Nothing better then traditional time slot.

Rolling team selection has been the biggest frustration. Goody's fascination for sticking with the same group of players over and over again when they haven't proven at AFL level when given the opportunity. VFL team is 15-0 and yet we've barely rewarded blokes who are performing week in week out especially with our young talent. Disappointing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It's such a mixed bag... if offered 13 wins and second spot entering round 20 at the start of the season I would have taken it. 

The COVID challenges in Melbourne galvanised the players and took them somewhere extraordinary, and we got to come along for the ride. Our players have since realised that winning is hard work and the hunger is not there. 

We need a few that missed out to be driving the hunger but they are not. Only Jordon has played like he has a point to prove...   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

It is a great question but I’m like a few others in saying that I haven’t enjoyed it as much as last year.  The expectation each week and not always delivering has made it more difficult.  In saying that I think we are still the best team in it and I can’t wait for the spring air and finals to come along.   Just hoping we hang on to our top 4 spot 

Simple answer is no. What frustrates me no end is our lack of a cohesive forward line.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Season Yes, Demonland No, 

I have loved the season, we are still considered benchmark, we will play finals, we have superstars, every promo ad on Fox finishes with Melbourne holding the cup, we get features like 'this is me' on 360. We play some beautiful footy, our rebound and heart are a joy to watch.

Demonland on the other hand feels like a time machine, the posting about trainwrecks, sniping the integrity of the players and other banalities makes me think Neeld is still coaching. 

We are a great club, show a bit of spine...fair dinkum...

  • Like 9
  • Love 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Should go onto the enjoyed season thread and read the bumped thread from round 19 2021, Amazingly word for word (well almost ) exact same criticisms being made as last year.

Edited by loges
wrong wording
  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites


It’s been a struggle. Other than the Brisbane game and first half against St Kilda. Losing games after being 4 or 5 goals up is hard to swallow, especially if you are the reigning premiers. Would not have happened to Richmond in their prime. There is a level of frustration amongst supporters I sit with. I think we just expected to win this year so we could see it for real, not on a TV watching a game 4000 kms away. I don’t buy into the loading, or think we can just flick a switch. I think the issues are much deeper than that, something is going on internally.

  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the greatest period of football in my life by so far it’s impossible to measure. We have three of the best players in the league. We have stars across the ground. We are in every game. We expect to win against everyone, I can’t remember ever experiencing that. We get to discuss why we are losing in a very different way to the way we used to, and the theories are magnificent. I’ve had to learn how to watch and understand a top football side. The Daniher years are the closest I’ve been and it was nothing like this. We were never the best side in it. I think we get 5 or so years of competitive football starting last year and one flag or three is perfectly fine. I’ll remember this group of players and tell people about them many years from now. Losing still sucks as much as it always did.
Go dees

  • Like 5
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

It’s been a struggle. Other than the Brisbane game and first half against St Kilda. Losing games after being 4 or 5 goals up is hard to swallow, especially if you are the reigning premiers. Would not have happened to Richmond in their prime. There is a level of frustration amongst supporters I sit with. I think we just expected to win this year so we could see it for real, not on a TV watching a game 4000 kms away. I don’t buy into the loading, or think we can just flick a switch. I think the issues are much deeper than that, something is going on internally.

There’s a psychological term called ‘euphoric recall’ which is being gleefully applied to how other sides have performed during their periods of success. Geelong spanked Richmond by 70 points in the middle of 3 bad loses in 2019.

I don’t see that being bandied about in discussions of how dominant they were. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bobby1554 said:

It’s been a struggle. Other than the Brisbane game and first half against St Kilda. Losing games after being 4 or 5 goals up is hard to swallow, especially if you are the reigning premiers. Would not have happened to Richmond in their prime. There is a level of frustration amongst supporters I sit with. I think we just expected to win this year so we could see it for real, not on a TV watching a game 4000 kms away. I don’t buy into the loading, or think we can just flick a switch. I think the issues are much deeper than that, something is going on internally.

Absolute myth. It’s very easy to go onto the AFL website to see that Richmond had some ugly loses in their premiership years.  Bigger margins than us and also gave up leads.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're not loving this time then you need to think about your expectations and why you follow the club and the game.

We won the flag, something many of us thought we'd never see.  Clarrie, Trac and Max have signed on for football eternity, and we're right in the hunt again this year.

Who knows, we could be in the midst of 5  in a row. Worst case we'll be a real chance in all of them.

These are the great times! If they can't spark enjoyment then seriously consider a different path.

  • Like 8
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It’s really hard for me to read posts from lifelong Melbourne supporters, who I’ve shared the misery of 2007–17 with on here, say they’re not enjoying a season in which:

1. We’re 13-5 with a percentage of 128% and sit 2nd on the ladder

2. We play regular prime time games

3. We’re a key focus in the weekly TV shows and podcasts

4. We’re watching three of our greatest ever players play elite football on a near-weekly basis

It’s crazy what one brilliant season can do for expectations. After years of being irrelevant, losing most weeks (sometimes in dispiritingly non-competitive fashion), and with few stars on our list, I relish watching us every week this year, even if I’m concerned we’re not going to win the flag because we’re not in good enough form. 

I really worry that those who aren’t enjoying it right now will look back on 2022 in the future when we’re tripe again some day and regret not relaxing slightly, accepting back-to-back flags are [censored] hard, and enjoying us being so good that even when we’re pedestrian we’re the competition’s 2nd best side. 

  • Like 4
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DEE fence said:

The Season Yes, Demonland No, 

I have loved the season, we are still considered benchmark, we will play finals, we have superstars, every promo ad on Fox finishes with Melbourne holding the cup, we get features like 'this is me' on 360. We play some beautiful footy, our rebound and heart are a joy to watch.

Demonland on the other hand feels like a time machine, the posting about trainwrecks, sniping the integrity of the players and other banalities makes me think Neeld is still coaching. 

We are a great club, show a bit of spine...fair dinkum...

I won't lie I use Demonland as a punching bag. When we lose it's comforting to realise I'm not the only bipolar football supporter out there. 

You should look back at my comments on Grand Final day. I don't have anywhere else to vent like that. My wife's interests are mostly Instagram influencers and buying stuff for our daughter. I need *somewhere* to talk about how bad a season we've had...

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, praha said:

I won't lie I use Demonland as a punching bag. When we lose it's comforting to realise I'm not the only bipolar football supporter out there. 

You should look back at my comments on Grand Final day. I don't have anywhere else to vent like that. My wife's interests are mostly Instagram influencers and buying stuff for our daughter. I need *somewhere* to talk about how bad a season we've had...

Yep for years Demonland was somewhere you could console yourself that there were others feeling the same pain. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

It’s really hard for me to read posts from lifelong Melbourne supporters, who I’ve shared the misery of 2007–17 with on here, say they’re not enjoying a season in which:

1. We’re 13-5 with a percentage of 128% and sit 2nd on the ladder

2. We play regular prime time games

3. We’re a key focus in the weekly TV shows and podcasts

4. We’re watching three of our greatest ever players play elite football on a near-weekly basis

It’s crazy what one brilliant season can do for expectations. After years of being irrelevant, losing most weeks (sometimes in dispiritingly non-competitive fashion), and with few stars on our list, I relish watching us every week this year, even if I’m concerned we’re not going to win the flag because we’re not in good enough form. 

I really worry that those who aren’t enjoying it right now will look back on 2022 in the future when we’re tripe again some day and regret not relaxing slightly, accepting back-to-back flags are [censored] hard, and enjoying us being so good that even when we’re pedestrian we’re the competition’s 2nd best side. 

I think part of the problem TU is we see how easy it would be to slip back to the not so distant bad times. Fear is our biggest enemy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Vipercrunch said:

Absolute myth. It’s very easy to go onto the AFL website to see that Richmond had some ugly loses in their premiership years.  Bigger margins than us and also gave up leads.  

Thanks for the tip about the AFL website. My comment about Richmond not coughing up 5 goal leads was purely from memory. However, I did just check most of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, and could not find a game where this happened. Maybe you could help me out? What I did see was that in both those seasons they won the last 8-10 games of the home and away season. They were bullet proof, invincible almost. Not feelings I get about us this year. Which, after all, was the point of the topic wasn’t it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


56 minutes ago, bobby1554 said:

Thanks for the tip about the AFL website. My comment about Richmond not coughing up 5 goal leads was purely from memory. However, I did just check most of the 2019 and 2020 seasons, and could not find a game where this happened. Maybe you could help me out? What I did see was that in both those seasons they won the last 8-10 games of the home and away season. They were bullet proof, invincible almost. Not feelings I get about us this year. Which, after all, was the point of the topic wasn’t it?

Not sure about giving up 5 goal leads, but 2019 they lost R11 by 37 pts, lost R12 by 67pts, and lost R13 by 33 pts.

16 W, 6 L    (Will be same as us if we go 3-1 from here) 

Then went on to win the GF by 89 points. 

Edited by 1964_2
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, praha said:

I won't lie I use Demonland as a punching bag. 

 

Literally my week is ruined when we lose, I stew on it, am grumpy, etc, I defy anyone to say they are more [censored] off than me. I have not stopped thinking about the losses, Freo, Swans, Geelong, bloody Collingwood, (Dogs I really wasn't fussed) I've got no dramas with calls for players to be dropped, not at AFL level, bemoan tactical coaching mistakes, that is all fine and dandy, even if I don't agree or I think the positives of a player have been overlooked. But what drives me bonkers is when folks have a go at a players integrity, call them soft or whatever. This is like my children are being insulted, and makes me furiously angry (after already being surly at the loss).  So while I believe in free speech etc, insult my kids, then watch out, am talking generally and not you specifically. My French wife thinks I am clown when watching footy, but indulges me (i've posted about this before but it got deleted)....anyway... 

Sometimes reading Demonland, I think I'm the deelusional one, that I am cooked, and that I have no clue about football, because I still see so many positives, like watching Melk get better two weeks in a row, Sparrow having a ripper game, Brayshaw's bravery backing into packs, Kozzie's immense fwd half pressure. I am not blind I see the need and things to improve (I pray that Salem turns a corner soon), I'm just not a zero sum kinda man, and when I balance it up I still see plenty to like and don't think the season is done. I've put more people on ignore this year than I have done in the rest of my time on Demonland. And I really do believe we are not finished yet, 2 more wins and a finals series it will still be the second best season of my 52 year life (1988+2000 we were always a long shot, now we are deadly dangerous).

So in essence, throw your punches, just no low blows...

  

NB. The Swans loss where Paddy McCartin had a blinder I must admit I was happy for the bloke, what a journey he has had.

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thus far, not really.

Coming off Everest, I couldn’t really compute us being so dominant again in the first half-ish of the season - I’d become so conditioned to supporting a hopeless club that I didn’t really know what to feel or how to react. I’d always been the super passionate supporter of a hopeless club, and now we’d become elite, I felt a little uncertain about the world and my relationship with it. I look back to seasons 2000, 2002, 2004-6 with genuine fondness.

Then the fight between May, Melksham and Smith. And a few unhelpful injuries. Some horrible losses. And Brayshaw and Jackson not expressing any particular enthusiasm for re-signing with the club. It all feels a little tres ordinaire.

I just wish Ricciardo was driving better. I was hoping he’d be my positive distraction on the season, but that hasn’t really eventuated either.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've enjoyed the season, even when we've lost I've felt we've always been in the matches so the losses have been frustrating in that we haven't had the ability to go to the gear we had last year when challenge. The run home is tricky and if we manage to get top 4 then that should be recognised as a bloody incredible achievement. I also think that we could be that team that can win the premiership from 5th as everyone knows we have levels we can go to but for whatever reason it's just not clicking.

The things I haven't enjoyed are Luke Jackson's contract issues, May being a complete F L 0 G, and seeing us give up winning positions late in games. But we are in this up to our eyeballs. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. I feel depressed whenever I log on to DL and see this photo. How the f are we always the ones that let an oppositions underperforming high draft pick forward get his first bag of goals and Rising Star nom lol.

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 22.55.15.png

Edited by John Demonic
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

No. I feel depressed whenever I log on to DL and see this photo. How the f are we always the ones that let an oppositions underperforming high draft pick forward get his first bag of goals and Rising Star nom lol.

 

 

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 22.55.15.png

*sigh*, it's like putting on a comfy pair of tracksuits and moccasins innit?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    CHANGES 2022 Part Three by The Oracle

    Part Three - Comparing apples with pomegranates by The Oracle One of the truly pointless exercises after each year’s draft is the game over which club “won” the period in question. The reality is that there is no winner or loser at the time and it’s only years further down the track when a full assessment of how the picks turn out can be made, that the winning hand is revealed. And the draft results cannot be considered in isolation; you need to look at where each club stood before the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 1

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...