Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TEAMS: Rd 19 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

5 hours ago, Fanatique Demon said:

Can’t understand why you’re not coaching the Club. After all, you know better than everyone else.

Just my passionate opnion, thats all. I dont know any better or worse than ANYONE else.

• Like 2

All Stars Lol GIF by Lifetime

Jake Melksham this week 

6 possessions 

1 goal (over the top out the back - out ran Clurey)

1 chase down on Tom Clurey (Ports slowest player alongside Dixon) 

7 tackles 

I think probably only the tackles and the fact that Bedford had another shocker that saved him.   Needs to definitely show more this week in a big game !! 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

It's a really strange side. 

And I'm interested and will watch closely at our tactics. @DeeSpencerthought Melksham was solid in his role so I'll watch closely at how much he impacts as a defensive forward.

I know the dogs will be bringing something different and will challenge us, they have a very different looking side and I just hope Goody is prepared for that. 

Got this strange feeling the dogs will bring it and will pick us apart with a bit of that being to do with our selections. 

I can see us losing by 35 plus and I'm concerned. I don't understand Goodwin's selections. I can't understand why Weid isn't given a shot with the dogs fragile backline. And I don't know what impact Melksham will have on the result if our mids are again smashes at the coal face. 

Let's see. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We're the number 1 side in the competition for using the least amount of players....

We've had one debut player this year in Daniel Turner off the back of having two debutants last year in Bowey and Jordon.

Not even sure if this is a good thing or bad thing. 

I mean, I look at our line up and still scratch my head in why we see fail to address the big concern around our forward line set up. 

Our list includes 5 AFL standard key defenders assuming Turner can continue to develop. (I think van Rooyen projects as a defender in addition to this.) But we don't have the cattle up forward.  

Ben Brown needs to lift and take a few marks. Kossie is brilliant on the ground but not yet a threat in the air. Fritsch plays as a seagull. van Rooyen is promising but not ready yet. TMac will be lucky to get back this year. Weideman has shown the same promise for his whole career. Spargo and ANB are in there to play pressure roles.

There is not a lot Goodwin can do.

I daresay Melksham will sit on Bailey Dale who has been pivotal to the dogs ball movement this year. I also rated his unselfish attitude inside and around the arcs, he's always been a decent field kick. Willing to give him another chance after a solid outing last week 

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Our list includes 5 AFL standard key defenders assuming Turner can continue to develop. (I think van Rooyen projects as a defender in addition to this.) But we don't have the cattle up forward.  

Ben Brown needs to lift and take a few marks. Kossie is brilliant on the ground but not yet a threat in the air. Fritsch plays as a seagull. van Rooyen is promising but not ready yet. TMac will be lucky to get back this year. Weideman has shown the same promise for his whole career. Spargo and ANB are in there to play pressure roles.

I heard that JVR has been playing on May in training and May is blown away at the kids talent and brutality.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, CYB said:

I heard that JVR has been playing on May in training and May is blown away at the kids talent and brutality.

Better extend his contract before he gets “homesick”.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, CHF said:

Selections as expected and agree that Tomlinson was stiff to lose his spot after his performance last week. Petty will have a bit of pressure on him to maintain his quality of play. It may be that Lever does not come up and then we are looking at Tomlinson in for him.

Melksham keeping his pot is a good thing. I was of the opinion he was well pat his best but his game last week was excellent. Good to see both him and Hibberd playing well in the team. a good solid block of experience there at either end of the ground.

The forward 50 looked a bit better last week and not just because of Pickett's 6. I do not mind the fact that we are giving them another week together. Bedford was the least effective of our small forwards and made way for Oliver.

Tomlinson for medi-sub for mine.

I agree. If he shared it, we might run into trouble with WADA.

More seriously, Melksham's retention suggests he did his job last week better than Bedford did his. DeeSpencer has previously said that Melksham's role last week was to keep Aliir out of the way, which he did successfully. Accordingly, I don't think we should be judging Melksham just on his stats from last week.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, RedFox said:

I daresay Melksham will sit on Bailey Dale who has been pivotal to the dogs ball movement this year. I also rated his unselfish attitude inside and around the arcs, he's always been a decent field kick. Willing to give him another chance after a solid outing last week 

Agree with all of the above.

He obviously was selected with a specific role in mind last week - negate port's two interceptors, aliir and clurey

He performed that role well - neither had an impact, which was particularly important in aliir's case as he is key to to Port's scoring method, which is heavily reliant on transition from the hb flank.

The dogs also rely on transition from hb for scoring (and scoring from stoppages/clearances). Dale is key to that method, particularly with Daniel out. 

However, Dale presents a different challenge to aliir and clurey. He is not an intercept marker or tall (though he plays tall). He is a distributor and runs hard off hb for metres gained. A terrific player, and one of the best kicks in the AFL..

Melk will struggle to go with him pace wise.The key will be stopping him getting the pill and when he does smashing him and ensuring he has no time and space. If he gets away melk will need to hand off to, say jordon or langers who will press forward and close down Dale's space.

If that is melk's role, goody won't care about melk's numbers - he'll care about Dales', as should dees fans.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Melky played well last week and did what we have all been critical of him - tackle.

If he continues to do that then he can play the T.Mac third tall role, because like T.Mac, he is smart and generally a good kick and set shot. But Marvel is a fast circuit so he will need to be on his game to survive.

Ultimately I suspect we will need a third tall option. We dispensed with this role after our loss to the Pies I think, but I imagine that against the better sides we will need to go back to having another option down the line - to me the role is probably best served by Petty, although May is also an attractive option at CHF, the issue being that it leaves our defence more suspect. The return of Joel Smith will add pace to our back seven, but that's at least two weeks away.

Note the emergencies this week - Weid ready in case Brown is too sore, Tomlinson ready in case Lever too sore, Dunstan or Bedford the sub.

• Like 2

Agree we need to shut down Bailey Dale. At the peril of my SuperCoach team.  He’s clearly their quarterback.  Sometimes or actually mostly, MFC fails to identify key quarterback types. Mills (Swans) and Crisp (Pies) played this role and in recent losses we failed to shut them down.
Possibly Melksham is identified for this role and knows that Dale often takes the kick in and then runs to create the overlap possession. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Ultimately I suspect we will need a third tall option. 

I have no doubt we will select a third tall. 

I think Weed will come in next week.

If he can't make the spot his own, and he won't have more than 2 games to make his case, JVR and Joel Smith are legitimate. options.

if Weed can't make it work, it is hard to see where he goes next with the dees, particularly given he is contracted for next year.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

All Stars Lol GIF by Lifetime

Jake Melksham this week 

6 possessions 

1 goal (over the top out the back - out ran Clurey)

1 chase down on Tom Clurey (Ports slowest player alongside Dixon) 

7 tackles 

I think probably only the tackles and the fact that Bedford had another shocker that saved him.   Needs to definitely show more this week in a big game !! 

Missed the goal assist to Brown. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adonski said:

No Rooter, no Tomlinson and Petty to defence instead of fwd

Goodwin out

Why do posters keep talking about moving Petty forward? We have the best defence in the league with Petty in the side in defence.  So you keep Tomlinson in the side and push Petty forwards? That weakens our defence and Petty hasn't been training in attack so why experiment? If you want to go tall you bring a forward in from Casey, not play a backman in attack!

15 hours ago, picket fence said:

How Melksham keeps his place and not Tomlinson ( Who was in my best) Totally is mystifying and disappointing! 

You don't pick a side based purely on one game's form. Tomlinson is a defender, Melksham is a medium forward. They play different roles in different positions and are not interchangeable.

15 hours ago, DubDee said:

If that doesn’t make Tommo look for another club nothing will. Played very well last week. There are just better players

Tomlinson would have known he was in as a short-term replacement for Petty. But I agree that any fringe player who isn't getting regularly picked will be looking at alternatives. Tommo would be down the list of essential Melbourne players going forwards.

15 hours ago, old dee said:

We have no replacement for Tmac and it has been shown since his loss that we are struggling for a taller player to take marks. Last week Tomlinson played well and deserved his spot this week. Why not play Petty in the forward line where he has shown on a few occasions he can mark and kick goals. Surely it is worth a trial. We have one key forward  in Brown then no one else. Why not try a player who can mark and kick accurately? 

Pick JVR if you want to look at going tall in attack. Leave Petty in his best position (defence). 

14 hours ago, picket fence said:

SO PLAY EITHER HE OR PETTY AS ANOTHER TALL UP FORWARD.... Jahessus H Christmas

Instead of Melksham and in support of a hampred injured BB

Cheezus it aint Rocket Science and happy to revisit late Sat night with a ..... I told u so moment. Hope im wrong but..... Not confident!

Goody addressed BBB's ongoing injury management during the week. BBB played well against Port. The selectors have gone medium (rather than tall or small) wth Melksham.  I personally would have liked to see JVR in the side but don't have an issue with Melksham being in instead given how he exwcured hisrole last week. 

13 hours ago, wisedog said:

The 3rd week in a row with this forward set up. I’m interested in what metrics the football department is watching that encourage them to persist with it. I felt slightly lucky to get the win last week.

I suppose if we can’t predict where most of our scoring is going to come from, the opposition will be similarly confused.

Either way, the result will probably decide if we bring back the 2nd permanent tall or take this setup into September.

As has been pointed out by others this is not the 3rd week in a row with this set-up, but I agree with your last point.

1 hour ago, Fat Tony said:

What are you talking about? Defenders currently in the side are May, Lever, Petty, Salem, Brayshaw, Hibberd & Rivers. Defenders currently not in the side are Turner, Bowey & Tomlinson (plus a few others who aren't at AFL level yet). So we have 10 AFL- standard defenders. Not sure how you define 'key' defender, but I think we are very-well placed.

JVR is a swing-man, but clearly he is playing as a forward and back-up ruck. He gets around the ground. We are missing one key forward at the moment, essentially because Weideman & Mitch Brown aren't playing at the level required at AFL, and the selectors have  decided not to rush JVR. I don't think we are far off where we need to be going into the finals.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, binman said:

If he can't make the spot his own, and he won't have more than 2 games to make his case, JVR and Joel Smith are legitimate. options

I hadn't really thought about Joel Smith up forward, but I prefer him as an option ahead of Petty, who would definitely be a case of 'robbing Peter to pay Paul'. I'd like to see JVR in the side ahead of the Finals. Give him a few weeks to see what he can do. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, binman said:

If he can't make the spot his own, and he won't have more than 2 games to make his case, JVR and Joel Smith are legitimate. options.

if Weed can't make it work, it is hard to see where he goes next with the dees, particularly given he is contracted for next year.

Honestly Bin I think we've seen what we will get from Weid, no more chances imo.

• Like 2

Sydney Demon: Why do posters keep talking about moving Petty forward? We have the best defence in the league with Petty in the side in defence.  So you keep Tomlinson in the side and push Petty forwards? That weakens our defence and Petty hasn't been training in attack so why experiment? If you want to go tall you bring a forward in from Casey, not play a backman in attack!

Petty played up front in 2019 and looked quite capable before injury and we all know he has a little more mobility than Ben Brown and Weid, so is an enticing prospect as our lead-up forward. Given our reluctance to play Weid, the youth of JVR and T-Mac's injury, there is sound logic in the move - although whether Tomlinson has the pace to replace him down back on a permanent basis is the big question. That is why when Joel Smith comes back, the option becomes a little more appealing and in the event of injury to a big during a game, reverting to the three-tall forward option enables us the flexibility of sending Petty back just as we had to with T-Mac a couple of times last year.

It's a discussion Demonlanders are all having and I'm sure our selectors are also pondering. 

Rode past training this morning Oliver, Brown, Lever all training seemingly unhindered. But I could not sight Fritsch? Weideman working with the forwards but that would be expected as he is listed as an emergency. Couldn’t stay long to totally confirm though. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, loges said:

Honestly Bin I think we've seen what we will get from Weid, no more chances imo.

You might well be right.

Over the journey, i've been one of Weed's biggest critics.  

But the the role really requires someone who is a genuine big tall, which neither JVR or Smith are.

With Tmac out, Weed is the only other  genuine tall on our list, and it is for this reason i think he will get first crack at the role.

Edited by binman
  • Thinking 1

7 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

Rode past training this morning Oliver, Brown, Lever all training seemingly unhindered. But I could not sight Fritsch? Weideman working with the forwards but that would be expected as he is listed as an emergency. Couldn’t stay long to totally confirm though. 

Hopefully not because of h&s protocols.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Earl Hood said:

There's a clip on the Dees website interviewing JJ. They show a brief clip of training, and Weid is in the ruck against Max.

1 hour ago, binman said:

You might well be right.

Over the journey, i'm one of Weed's biggest critics.  

But the the role really requires someone who is a genuine big tall., whcih neither JVR or Smith is.

With Tmac out, Weed is the only other  genuine tall on our list, and it is for this reason i think he will get first crack at the role.

Weid is a tall when it comes to height, but doesn’t play with busting pack aggression or presence, that’s why TMac was preferred.

Sounds like JVR plays with aggression and has great hands, might be worth a try. Looks promising from the snippets I’ve seen of the VFL. Re loading, could FD be holding JVR back until loading finished and he comes up fresh round 20 similar to Bowey last year. Brereton wasn’t a tall CHF but was great competitor, aggressive and smart - hoping JVR can be similar!

Smith brings something else, not quite big enough, but pretty quick, and his defensive side has improved, so he might be able to offer some of what TMac did. Also his odd brain fade won’t cost a goal in forward line.

Agree with your prior comments on Melksham, played role well last week, but we need the 3rd tall for balance! Helps  BBB and frees up Fritsch.

Edited by D4Life
Extra point added
  • Like 5