Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME : Rd 18 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

2 hours ago, djr said:

After watching the replay, I'm still baffled by calls for Tom Sparrow to be dropped. He was in everything yesterday, so don't be surprised if he gets coach's votes. Yes, some of his kicks and handballs were misdirected, but no more or less than others. He is a tackling machine which more than makes up for some errand disposals. He's only 22 years old, but he's building a tank that will be elite after another preseason. This kid has the potential to be anything.

I also thought he was excellent and brought great physicality to the contest. One of his best games imo and he was critical in the win. Along with Jordon I thought he was unlucky to miss out on coaches votes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, The Swimming Dee said:

I also thought he was excellent and brought great physicality to the contest. One of his best games imo and he was critical in the win. Along with Jordon I thought he was unlucky to miss out on coaches votes 

Yep, they know what they are doing, and I couldn't help but notice little short up deliveries here and there, and some things that were different that I cannot put my finger on yet.Will watch the replay again I think.

• Like 2

The lengths some footballers will go to be part of a winning side…

DEDEB73A-BB46-43CE-8351-A8263FFE30E8.thumb.jpeg.0c4237902248873cd50f009b2e6b967a.jpeg

😁

• Like 2
  • Haha 10
  • Shocked 1

25 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

The lengths some footballers will go to be part of a winning side…

DEDEB73A-BB46-43CE-8351-A8263FFE30E8.thumb.jpeg.0c4237902248873cd50f009b2e6b967a.jpeg

😁

Also nice to see that our sponsors are well onboard and across all of detail…

DD7CC368-763F-4BA7-B866-CDD6C260506C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, hardtack said:

I'm tipping there are other Australians that don't know there are 1496km between the two places...

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, djr said:

After watching the replay, I'm still baffled by calls for Tom Sparrow to be dropped. He was in everything yesterday, so don't be surprised if he gets coach's votes. Yes, some of his kicks and handballs were misdirected, but no more or less than others. He is a tackling machine which more than makes up for some errand disposals. He's only 22 years old, but he's building a tank that will be elite after another preseason. This kid has the potential to be anything.

Sparrow was my big pre season bolter. I reckon he has massive amount of potential and could be a real beast. He can be a great kick but often isn't. His handballing to a player/situation that brings pressure or causes a turnover is becoming a habit, and his decision making is simply off. For all his effort and possessions, he is a momentum killer at the moment which is ruining the hard work of himself and team mates. I don't think he can be dropped, but he has a fair bit of work to do to in terms of polish and impact. 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

21 minutes ago, hardtack said:

Two major errors in one sentence that went through through to the keeper.  The proofreader needs to be dropped!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I might be going against the grain here, but I've been quite happy with BBB's form over the past 2 or 3 weeks.  Has been leading well up the ground and providing that outlet option between the arcs that was previously more T Mac's role.  He has provided a good target in this situation and been cluncking them pretty cleanly more often than not, which is probably really more his natural game to be taking marks on a lead than the big contested pack mark.

Even though he hasn't kicked any big bags, he's still really good at hitting the scoreboard from limited opportunities and has that innate goal sense of a true forward that means he puts himself in dangerous positions to capitalize on spills and loose balls that bob up his way.

Also noted the Fox comentators having a go at Bailey Freitch again for being 'selfish', but I'd disagree here too for the most part.  Again, Bailey is just such a good shot at goal 90% of the time either from a set shot or in general play, that I think he's one of the few players (like Kossie) that you'd give a licence to be a little tunnel visioned and have a ping at the goals.  I'll bet there's more times than not that he kicks the goal and no one notices that he had other options.  Conversely, there are also times when players try to pass off the ball into a spot with a player in a better position, but end up messing it up, turning it over without bothering the scorers.

I'm sure we'd all like it to be perfect execution entering our forward line every time, every game, but I actually think we are going ok in this respects and it's not panic stations in respects to our forward line performance.

• Like 11

Just an observation that Bedford seemed pretty quiet this week.  Did a few good things when he got his hands on the pill, but just didn't get much of it.  I wounder if he was given a defensive role to take one of Port's playmakers out of the game.  I'd still be keeping him in the team regardless at the moment as the extra pace and goal scoring potential he adds means that the opo has another fast player that they need to mind and match-up on, which I'm guessing helps take some of the heat off other guys like Kossie.

Thought some of our second tier forwards like Spargo and Melksham played really good games, used it well and really contributed to the win yesterday as well.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Just an observation that Bedford seemed pretty quiet this week.  Did a few good things when he got his hands on the pill, but just didn't get much of it.  I wounder if he was given a defensive role to take one of Port's playmakers out of the game.  I'd still be keeping him in the team regardless at the moment as the extra pace and goal scoring potential he adds means that the opo has another fast player that they need to mind and match-up on, which I'm guessing helps take some of the heat off other guys like Kossie.

Thought some of our second tier forwards like Spargo and Melksham played really good games, used it well and really contributed to the win yesterday as well.

Yeah I’ve noticed in a couple games that Bedford can go missing for long periods. So much so that when the ball will go near him, I’ll be like ‘oh, Bedford’s playing’. Happened in both the Port and Geelong game. Don’t know if it’s because he only runs one way, doesn’t have a very big aerobic capacity or like you said he’s playing a defensive role, but if he can take the next step of imposing himself on the game, he’ll grow into a gun player. His speed around the ground can be utilised for sure, just needs to figure out how to get in good spots when the game isn’t going his way. 

• Like 2

What a great venue, we were sitting in a small stand not far from the cheer squad, Kozzie did some of his best work right in front of us and we got right in behind him as did the locals. I was surprised how easy Power were able to beat us at clearances, they have a very good game plan that is well drilled and they always have players in the clear and hit them up with monotonous regularity. We really had to grind this win out. Kozzie and Tracc were clearly our best two players out there. There are a lot of distractions at the game, eagles soaring in the background, the locals and toilets that would bring a tear to your eye if you were female.😳😳.!!not to mention the McDonald Ranges.

• Like 9

16 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Good pick up!

It is probably why Kozzie was able to get free to kick goals.

A bit like Sparrow, ANB, Spargo etc have said they do the defensive work so that Petracca and Oliver can do their thing.

Bedford doing the defensive work allows Kozzie to do what he does best.

• Like 4

Not sure what happened there but we just arrived in Adelaide to let the humiliated Power supporters get off. WCW Our Cheer squad are also on this flight.😀will be glad to get back home tonight.!!!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Dido said:

Great win Dees against an inform team with more to loss and good to conserve your energy in the last dying minutes when the game was won. (I think?) As for Melk's run down, good to see him keep going even though my own grandmother could have kept up with that Port player

Unfortunately her disposal efficiency and pressure acts are sub-par, so she can't get a game...

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, roy11 said:

Yep the pile on a bit over the top, i get Fritsch burning team mates isn't a great look but personally i don't mind a selfish streak in a forward. 

As you and others have stated he's consistently contributing with score involvements/goal assists so dont mind the old shot if he's backing himself in.

Agree

And if he misses the goal, what's to say he hit the target for the pass...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Good pick up!

It is probably why Kozzie was able to get free to kick goals.

A bit like Sparrow, ANB, Spargo etc have said they do the defensive work so that Petracca and Oliver can do their thing.

Bedford doing the defensive work allows Kozzie to do what he does best.

Bedford only had 66% game time.

That's very low time on ground to play a defensive role LH. 

Demonland has a habit of always looking for little excuses on a player's form. Doesn't hurt to accept that he was just plain ordinary on the day and was way off it.

Bedford isn't a big ball winner even at VFL level. The numbers of those stats are evident. When you aren't a big ball winner at VFL level there's a fair you ain't going to get a lot of the ball at AFL level either.

Even at junior level he wasn't a big ball winner. Burst player who can kick quick goals in quarters. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I wonder if @CHFis over his magnificent birthday celebrations and the hangover he was courting, not to mention enjoy our win. 

I have fully recovered from the celebrations and I have to say that the celebrations were excellent. Awoke on Sunday morning with a little fuzziness in the head but was able to watch the Alice game unfold before indulging in another glass or two of Champagne.

I always enjoy a win, no matter how it is achieved. I think this was a quality win, one that was very critical in the scheme of things for this season. Coming after loss down at the Skinny Dog Ground and with this game in The Alice it was always going to be a hard one to win.

A few observations:

- We have excellent structures in defence and top quality depth on the list to ensure the defence will perform week in week out. Tomlinson had a very good game filling in for Petty. 

- Without Oliver in the middle I thought that we managed quite well. I still shake my head that we are not better with the clearance work. we seem to look to be reactive first at the stoppages rather than proactive. We allow the opposition get to the ball first and then we react to the situation as it unfolds. 

- Good games from Petracca and Viney. Viney a bit wasteful but was there when it mattered.

- Forwards looked a bit better organised and not just because of Pickett's 6. Deliver into that zone was better. That allowed the small players to exert a bit more pressure.

- Liked Spargo's Game a I enjoyed watching ANB.

- Melksham surprised me with his defensive work, well done that man.

Now, Onward and upward..... Dogs next round and I think we will come away with thee 4 points. will be some interesting selection discussions this week. An extra tall in the forward 50? If so, I would go with the one that has the best aerobic ability and have them patrol up the ground as much as possible with Brown a bit closer to goal. Oliver back in if fit and what to do in the backs? Tomlinson or Petty?

go Dees!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

Not sure what happened there but we just arrived in Adelaide to let the humiliated Power supporters get off. WCW Our Cheer squad are also on this flight.😀will be glad to get back home tonight.!!!

I’m guessing there’ll be a few sore throats there, DZ. Especially our young bloke Mitch, massive Kozzy fan who leads the Kozzy Kozzy Kozzy oi oi oi chant after every Kozzy goal. He’d be hoarse but happy right now. 😊

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, D4Life said:

In MID JULY Geelong are the best team. The kings of Kardinia Park! Congrats to Cats for winning their KP GF!

Our coach played in two flags for the Crows who had Charlie Walsh as their fitness guru, who prepared them to excel in the finals.

Goodwin has consistently said there are two seasons - H&A and Finals!

As proven last year he knows how to peak in Finals, Demons were devastating last year, and injury willing will be very very good in this years finals!

I look at our team:

Backline:

Lever May Hibberd all been AA

Salem Petty Brayshaw (AA2022)    Rivers

Langdon.   Oliver AA.    Jordan

ANB.       ????????       Fritsch (close AA)

Kossie.     BBB.           Spargo

Max (AA). Trac (AA).   Viney

Jackson.  Harmes  Sparrow  Rivers Melk

Emerg: Bowey Tomlinson Hunt   Bedford 

Salem & Langdon should have been AA 2021

Our team know how to play finals football, our style is made for finals, and every Demon player stepped up at some point in the finals last year!

We have some fantastic players. A bit soft at CHF but Goody & the coaches will have something working in forward line  by finals time!

All we need is a bit of luck with injuries and some luck on any given day. Be more than happy to play Geelong in finals with them using same on ball set up as last week, Max, Oliver, Trac, Viney & co will torch them!!

We won a flag last year after 57 years and I’m happy to back our Demons to give it a red hot crack again in 2022! We have a little rust at the moment but am expecting Demons to be smoking come finals time!

I’ve got plenty of space on my wall for the 2022 flag poster and Goody and co are putting us in a great position to do it again, even if many Demonlanders have little faith or recall! Go back and watch last years finals series and our round 11-18 of last year if you need any reminding how much we improved come finals!

Demonlanders have some faith!

Go Demons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great post totally agree the level of disrespect for the reigning premiers make the mind boggle. A season is like the Melbourne cup. Pace yourself and time your run. Dees are sitting snug behind the leader and will unleash the shackles come September. If they do the collective brain trust of the media will be eating humble pie

• Like 2

We have to sort out clearances. Last two weeks we have been smashed. Despite our highly rated midfield we have only had 5 more than the opposition this season. 612 to 607. Basically we are just average for the season. We improve this aspect and we are back to our best.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deesprate said:

Great post totally agree the level of disrespect for the reigning premiers make the mind boggle. A season is like the Melbourne cup. Pace yourself and time your run. Dees are sitting snug behind the leader and will unleash the shackles come September. If they do the collective brain trust of the media will be eating humble pie

Brisbane did that few times. Dog ordinary til R22, bring back Clark Keating. 

• Like 1