Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Greg Stafford - Forward Coach?



Recommended Posts

Greg was a run of the mill ruckman & I was very surprised he got the fwd coach job. 

Seems like a nice guy but I'd have thought that u need to have played a lot of footy in a good forward line to get the gig.

Maybe a Sav Rocca or Stevie J or P Sumich.

I think our fwd line has been mostly dysfunctional since he took over.

 

  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 5
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites




10 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Greg was a run of the mill ruckman & I was very surprised he got the fwd coach job. 

Seems like a nice guy but I'd have thought that u need to have played a lot of footy in a good forward line to get the gig.

Maybe a Sav Rocca or Stevie J or P Sumich.

I think our fwd line has been mostly dysfunctional since he took over.

 

Well yes maybe but it's been a really long time( seasons) since regularly functional was an adjective that could be applied to MFC's forward line

Even recently bang bang bang bang was mostly bipassing the forwards ( the first bang aside maybe)

They will lining up to smack you with the last half of last year's last game

Edited by IRW
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dysfunctional enough to win a premiership it seems. The forward line was a lot worse before he took over. The problem with our current forward line is not having stability with key forwards. Tmac in and out of form now injured. BBB in interrupted average form. Weid can’t step up. Relying on Fritsch to be the leading goal kicker when he should be icing on cake. I believe he’s doing a good job. 

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Greg was a run of the mill ruckman & I was very surprised he got the fwd coach job. 

Seems like a nice guy but I'd have thought that u need to have played a lot of footy in a good forward line to get the gig.

Maybe a Sav Rocca or Stevie J or P Sumich.

I think our fwd line has been mostly dysfunctional since he took over.

 

You fail to mention that it blossomed BIG TIME in 2021 Finals snd delivered an historic flag!

It still is a quirk that I have thought since  Staf took over that a ruckman can coach forward line and take goal kicking practice without any apparent skills from his playing days.

I think a new forward  line coach is imperative  unless we win the flag again!

Having said all this he seems to get on with the players well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the idea that you have to have done X as a player to be able to teach players to do X is outdated.

Surely it's more about their knowledge, analysis, ability to problem solve and communicate?  I don't know if Stafford is a good forward coach or not but I have heard players talk about how his approach has been really helpful with their goal kicking.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Engorged Onion said:

Spoiling for a fight @Cranky Franky? I'll land a couple of jabs as a response. 🥊

1) This is a forward line that won a premiership 17 games ago

2) Optics are one thing, and the stats are, we are scoring more per game than last year.

 

Its also a fwd line that struggled for half of 2021.

In the last 6 weeks it has mainly struggled in the second half of games.

Often BBB, Max & Fritter all lead to the same spot & last week Geelong defenders had very little pressure applied to them.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The AFL imposed soft cap has meant line coaches are doing much more than they were originally hired for.

Greg was hired as a ruck coach and he still does that, as well as forwards.  Yze does game day tactics and mid-field. 

No club can hire multiple coaches to perform coaching in individual areas, like they were able before COVID. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

Its also a fwd line that struggled for half of 2021.

In the last 6 weeks it has mainly struggled in the second half of games.

Often BBB, Max & Fritter all lead to the same spot & last week Geelong defenders had very little pressure applied to them.

 

Lol..

Which half? The first half of the year where we won 9 in a row or the 2nd half of the year where we won 7 in a row to charge into the finals series where we completely obliterated teams.

Under Greg Stafford last year

- Bayley Fritsch kicked 59 goals including 6 in a grand final. The most in any grand final since Darren Jarman in 1997. An unbelievable stat that's been laying dormant for 15 years.

- Kozzie Pickett kicked 40 goals in just his 2nd year of AFL as an 19 year old. Compared to the past great small forwards in the game such as Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne and Eddie Betts at similar age he completely blows all 3 out of the park.

- Our grand final score of 21.14.140 was the highest grand final score since 2007 when Geelong thumped Port Adelaide.

I can keep going if you want..?

Look, people can bag Stafford all they want, but when it came to the pressure cooker of last year's finals, our scoreline and dominance in forward half territory was the most dominant displays we've see from an AFL club for years. It was elite by a fair margin. 

 

  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

the-final-score-can-be-seen-during-the-2

Yep that was last year hate to tell you it's a new season, as I say history is to be remembered not lived, but it's only really a small adjustment in the bigger picture but it needs to be done.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Lol..

Which half? The first half of the year where we won 9 in a row or the 2nd half of the year where we won 7 in a row to charge into the finals series where we completely obliterated teams.

Under Greg Stafford last year

- Bayley Fritsch kicked 59 goals including 6 in a grand final. The most in any grand final since Darren Jarman in 1997. An unbelievable stat that's been laying dormant for 15 years.

- Kozzie Pickett kicked 40 goals in just his 2nd year of AFL as an 19 year old. Compared to the past great small forwards in the game such as Cyril Rioli, Stephen Milne and Eddie Betts at similar age he completely blows all 3 out of the park.

- Our grand final score of 21.14.140 was the highest grand final score since 2007 when Geelong thumped Port Adelaide.

I can keep going if you want..?

Look, people can bag Stafford all they want, but when it came to the pressure cooker of last year's finals, our scoreline and dominance in forward half territory was the most dominant displays we've see from an AFL club for years. It was elite by a fair margin. 

 

I'm not bagging him just thinking that u probably need to have been a fwd to coach the fwd line.

Would u appoint Nev Jetta or Nat Jones as ruck coach ?

The fact that individual players have done well is good but as a group it still aint working.

The fwds lead to the same place & get in each others way. Spargo pressures well but his crumbing is poor. If nobody marks it then the opposition sweeps it away easily.

When we do well & win as in the GF its because of ruck & midfield dominance & our defence being on top, its rarely due to our fwd line.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

Yep that was last year hate to tell you it's a new season, as I say history is to be remembered not lived, but it's only really a small adjustment in the bigger picture but it needs to be done.

Can you pinpoint for me then exactly what Stafford has changed about his coaching in that time then? Must have been drastic to go from something so amazing to apparently such a fail within 12 months.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The flip side is that Stafford is doing a great job with a depleted fwd group that for 12 games of 16, kicked winning scores to help get us a % of 130+ which may be the difference between top 2 and 3rd or top 4 and 5th.

  • Like 10
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lord Nev said:

Can you pinpoint for me then exactly what Stafford has changed about his coaching in that time then? Must have been drastic to go from something so amazing to apparently such a fail within 12 months.

Because teams have worked us out, same as kick outs, out to the left out to the left, but as I said it is not a huge fix but it need changing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Because teams have worked us out, same as kick outs, out to the left out to the left, but as I said it is not a huge fix but it need changing.

'Worked us out' is such a cop out comment. It means nothing. Do you reckon all the oppo/strategy analysts and coaches spent the last few seasons sitting on their thumbs?

As for the kick outs, do you think maybe being predictable is part of the plan, ro do you reckon the coaches are just too lazy and/or don't know footy well enough to change it?

  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

'Worked us out' is such a cop out comment. It means nothing. Do you reckon all the oppo/strategy analysts and coaches spent the last few seasons sitting on their thumbs?

As for the kick outs, do you think maybe being predictable is part of the plan, ro do you reckon the coaches are just too lazy and/or don't know footy well enough to change it?

Kick outs are obviously part of the plan, but the point is whether or not the plan is working

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, loges said:

Kick outs are obviously part of the plan, but the point is whether or not the plan is working

You'd have to sign up to Champion Data and try to find the ladder of scores from kick outs I guess.

But, we're second on the ladder despite a bit of bad luck with injury and the like so I'm not sure we need to be assuming we've noticed cracks in the plan that the coaches haven't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Because teams have worked us out, same as kick outs, out to the left out to the left, but as I said it is not a huge fix but it need changing.

Jeepers you post some nonsense. Can we trade you out of East Bentleigh?

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You'd have to sign up to Champion Data and try to find the ladder of scores from kick outs I guess.

But, we're second on the ladder despite a bit of bad luck with injury and the like so I'm not sure we need to be assuming we've noticed cracks in the plan that the coaches haven't.

It's just a bit puzzling why we don't try the occasional kick to the right, we never do it so you'd think the opposition wouldn't be expecting it.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cranky Franky said:

I'm not bagging him just thinking that u probably need to have been a fwd to coach the fwd line.

Would u appoint Nev Jetta or Nat Jones as ruck coach ?

The fact that individual players have done well is good but as a group it still aint working.

The fwds lead to the same place & get in each others way. Spargo pressures well but his crumbing is poor. If nobody marks it then the opposition sweeps it away easily.

When we do well & win as in the GF its because of ruck & midfield dominance & our defence being on top, its rarely due to our fwd line.

Might need to do a bit more research there cranky. 141 goals, from 204 games. Pretty sure he didn’t score all of them from the ruck! Was an extremely accurate set shot as well. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pennant St Dee said:

This is like the Demonlanders potting Troy Chaplin as a poor defensive coach 

Always got to someone to blame doesn’t there. 

Watch these same whingers turn over the top positive when we hit form

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Greg Stafford - Forward Coach?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...