Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell Brodie Grundy

Ouch!

53 minutes ago, picket fence said:

I thought Grundy played very very well today. He is a a different Ruckman to Max but he is very effective. IF they both rotate deep forward ( like today)opposition coaches will be faced with nightmare matchups!!

Much more physical than Max. Will support Max well throughout the year, which was an issue last year as Max was Bullied and beaten up..

• Like 8

I really hope big Grundy is printing these out and putting them up somewhere visible daily to really motivate a massive 2023.  See below from ex-coach and ordinary person Nathan Buckley:

“Say Grundy is on $900,000, they have to pay $300,000 and Melbourne pay $600,000. And then you bring McStay in for around $600,000. That means the salary cap doesn’t shift.

“I thought there was going to have to be some give from a salary cap perspective. Now, there may be a little bit of give especially in the future, but in terms of the attributes and the strengths each of those players bring to the table – McStay, I believe, will help, as good as Grundy is, McStay’s attributes and strengths will feed into Collingwood’s needs greater than Brodie Grundy would have in the next five years.

I hope Grundy is sitting at home thinking:

Take It Personally Michael Jordan GIFMichael Jordan Lol GIF by ESPN

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

I really hope big Grundy is printing these out and putting them up somewhere visible daily to really motivate a massive 2023.  See below from ex-coach and ordinary person Nathan Buckley:

“Say Grundy is on $900,000, they have to pay $300,000 and Melbourne pay $600,000. And then you bring McStay in for around $600,000. That means the salary cap doesn’t shift.

“I thought there was going to have to be some give from a salary cap perspective. Now, there may be a little bit of give especially in the future, but in terms of the attributes and the strengths each of those players bring to the table – McStay, I believe, will help, as good as Grundy is, McStay’s attributes and strengths will feed into Collingwood’s needs greater than Brodie Grundy would have in the next five years.

Agreed. Very ordinary comment from Buckley…

• Like 3

On 2/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If you believe the above story, Grundy will be our number 1 ruck with Gawn playing 70% up forward.

Yep, pretty specifically stated by Troy Chaplin in his post game (along with '60%')

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Remind me again how many premierships Buckley has won as player or coach? 

FIGJAM doesn’t know what it takes to win a premiership

He should be called ING just ask Anyone

(I'm no good) just ask Anyone!

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

14 hours ago, BrisbaneDemon said:

Is this comment a dig though or is it just stupid? 

• Like 2

Grundy definitely man handled Marshall in around the ground stoppages. I thought his grappling was close to being a free kick against on some occasions when he threw Marshall aside.

Opposition ruckmen will be exhausted from wrestling with Grundy and Max and having to jump against Max. Late in games we should be able to take advantage of this.  It may force teams to play two genuine rucks when otherwise they'd just go with one.

• Like 11

3 hours ago, old55 said:

Grundy definitely man handled Marshall in around the ground stoppages. I thought his grappling was close to being a free kick against on some occasions when he threw Marshall aside.

Opposition ruckmen will be exhausted from wrestling with Grundy and Max and having to jump against Max. Late in games we should be able to take advantage of this.  It may force teams to play two genuine rucks when otherwise they'd just go with one.

I think they will go the other way and try to win the ball around the ground and compete in stoppages as best they can.

Its up to us to punish them for that arrogance and dismissiveness. Taps need to hit hands and we need to win clean stoppages. Don’t care about raw numbers of clearances but we need to smash clean take aways with chest facing goal.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, layzie said:

Is this comment a dig though or is it just stupid? 

He still says 'us' when talking about the Pies (understandably) so I think there's some history being re-written to justify the clubs decisions. He thinks that because Collingwood did well last year without Grundy, but they sorely need a key forward, McStay makes Collingwood stronger than if they had Grundy instead. He's not saying McStay is an objectively better player, just that McStay fills a need and that Cameron and the American fill the ruck 'need'. I disagree and think they could have played a lot better with Grundy in the side and that McStay won't be the silver bullet they think.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

He has. Against the cats.

Those matches in 2021 against Geelong were the exception. Generally speaking, his set shots on goal aren't great. Hope he can kick more goals than points, something he hasn't done in home and away since 2016

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

He still says 'us' when talking about the Pies (understandably) so I think there's some history being re-written to justify the clubs decisions. He thinks that because Collingwood did well last year without Grundy, but they sorely need a key forward, McStay makes Collingwood stronger than if they had Grundy instead. He's not saying McStay is an objectively better player, just that McStay fills a need and that Cameron and the American fill the ruck 'need'. I disagree and think they could have played a lot better with Grundy in the side and that McStay won't be the silver bullet they think.

Could be very dangerous making such huge decisions from one season of form from Cameron.

He could very easily be a flash in the pan type player and end up a fail.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Stu said:

Collingwood would have won the 2022 PF against Sydney if Grundy was playing.

• Like 7

On 2/24/2023 at 8:38 PM, SPC said:

Much more physical than Max. Will support Max well throughout the year, which was an issue last year as Max was Bullied and beaten up..

Two different physicals. the Collingwood jumper one and the MFC  jumper one.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dice said:

Those matches in 2021 against Geelong were the exception. Generally speaking, his set shots on goal aren't great. Hope he can kick more goals than points, something he hasn't done in home and away since 2016

Agreed. Was so nervous for that after siren shot on goal in the last h and a game in 21. He has really struggled in this part of his game but players can turn it around. Here's hoping, especially if he's playing up fwd more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, old55 said:

Collingwood would have won the 2022 PF against Sydney if Grundy was playing.

It’s certainly the case that they did well DESPITE missing Grundy not BECAUSE he was missing. People really struggle to process hypotheticals that go behind small simple variables. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Action Jackson said:

Could be very dangerous making such huge decisions from one season of form from Cameron.

He could very easily be a flash in the pan type player and end up a fail.

McStay goes missing for long periods of time!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dice said:

He doesn't need to be a world beater in front of goal but if he could just improve his accuracy 5-10% it would make the difference. 

He's going to miss them and that's fine, but as you said he needs to nail them with a bit more regularity. Especially if this talk of 70% forward is true. 

• Like 2

I'll go against the trend and agree with Buckley. McStay is a far better fit for the Pies than Grundy. With Mihocek as their only key forward last year, they needed another KPF.

And I must have watched a different game. Grundy dropped 2 absolute sitters up forward. He's never been a good overhead mark. He won plenty of tapouts, but they are meaningless unless you win the clearance.

Grundy's only value will be if can be an additional midfielder. A forward set-up of BBB, T Mac and either Grundy/Gawn will be a failure. And even more so if Kozzy is on-ball, and we don't have a genuine forward crumber.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

44 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I'll go against the trend and agree with Buckley. McStay is a far better fit for the Pies than Grundy. With Mihocek as their only key forward last year, they needed another KPF.

And I must have watched a different game. Grundy dropped 2 absolute sitters up forward. He's never been a good overhead mark. He won plenty of tapouts, but they are meaningless unless you win the clearance.

Grundy's only value will be if can be an additional midfielder. A forward set-up of BBB, T Mac and either Grundy/Gawn will be a failure. And even more so if Kozzy is on-ball, and we don't have a genuine forward crumber.

I also agree with Bucks also.

Still worries me we've put a premium on another genuine ruckman when I would have rather either save the cash to sort out our forward structure which to me doesn't fix any of that when Gawn or Grundy are part of the forward set up because they're not natural forwards who kick goals.

I watched the Collingwood Carlton match last week. McStay is certainly a much better fit for them moving forward. Took a couple of strong contested marks and kicked 3.

• Like 2

I love it when supporters talk in absolutes off the back of a massive sample size of one game.  And a practice one in February at that.

Listening to Ross Lyon on RSN reference the game he lamented how challenging it was with Marshall up against both Grundy and Gawn and how they were giving us momentum around the ball.  He gave an exacerbated laugh as he was saying it.

And that's the thing.  It's won't all be about the rucks kicking goals, or clunking contested marks in the forward 50, it's that the opposition ruckman and midfield get no respite.  Every stoppage they're up against an AA quality ruck giving their mids momentum.  Not all hitouts will be to advantage, but the opposition isn't hitting them to advantage either.

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Still worries me we've put a premium on another genuine ruckman.

We've put a premium on prolonging Gawn's career without robbing the best inside mid of an A grade ruckman.

If Grundy helps Gawn play another 3-4 season instead of another 1-2, he's been worth it. 

• Like 11