Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

15 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Fagan is the anti Goodwin. You score 150 points, we’ll score 160.

They need to fix up their defence, not strengthen their forward line further.

Need a 3rd tall to replace McStay. Gunston makes a lot of sense for them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Demon Disciple said:

We could do with some of the Fagan philosophy then…………………some

What, the coach whose system has repeatedly failed to yield success despite multiple top 4 finishes and even a GF in QLD?

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, A F said:

What, the coach whose system has repeatedly failed to yield success despite multiple top 4 finishes and even a GF in QLD?

Not only that but Fagan doesn’t bother himself with the game plan and how they want to move the footy - on 360 early in the season he was asked about why some teams don’t man the mark with the Stand Rule and he said yeah, he’s not sure and made up some nonsense - the very next package showed the Lions not manning the mark. 

He is the old style British Manager. I just hope he brings in an assistant who cares about defence - because they are nowhere far too often.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Not only that but Fagan doesn’t bother himself with the game plan and how they want to move the footy - on 360 early in the season he was asked about why some teams don’t man the mark with the Stand Rule and he said yeah, he’s not sure and made up some nonsense - the very next package showed the Lions not manning the mark. 

He is the old style British Manager. I just hope he brings in an assistant who cares about defence - because they are nowhere far too often.

I don't. I want to pummel them again next year.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

Need a 3rd tall to replace McStay. Gunston makes a lot of sense for them. 

Gunstan makes a lot of sense for every team because he’s a quality finisher.

However of any team in the competition that needs a third tall it’s not the forward line that already includes Daniher, Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy, and Charlie Cameron.

Edited by The heart beats true
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, The heart beats true said:

Gunstan makes a lot of sense for every team because he’s a quality finisher.

However of any team in the competition that needs a third tall it’s not the forward line that already includes Daniher, Hipwood, Lincoln McCarthy, and Charlie Cameron.

Yeah, that’s a forward line that has to have it delivered well to; otherwise the transition will kill it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I'll answer the question for you.  Picks over #40 since 2017:

• 2017: Oska Baker (pick 48, 3rd round) - still on our list
  • 2018:  Aaron Nietschke (pick 53, 3rd round) - retired due to 3 ACL's
  • 2018:  Marty Hore (pick 56, 4th round) - played a valuable role in 2019 when we had a big injury list.  Had an ACL injury and retired.
  • 2018:  Toby Bedfored (pick 75, 5th round) - still on our list and seemingly in demand by other clubs
  • 2019:  Zero selections.  Highest pick #32:  Trent Rivers.  Premiership player
  • 2020:  Zero selections.  Highest pick #35:  Fraser Rosman, taken as a 'project player' and still on our list.
  • 2021:  Zero selections.  Late pick used for Taj Woewodin taken as F/S  - still on the list.

I'm not sure what your definition of 'fail' is but I don't see any on that list.

Look carefully and you will see that for the last 3 years JT has, I think deliberately, not used a pick over #35 preferring to trade later picks up or trade them out for future picks. 

I really don't know what you are on about criticising JT for his later round selections!

Drafting from rounds 1 and 2 and cash in the rest looks a damn good policy to me.

Clearly in 2018 he didn’t check ACLs nearly closely enough 🙄

• Thinking 1

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Bedford might be alright but he hasn’t got a permanent spot in 4 years. Same for Chandler. And early days for Deak Smith but it’s not looking great.

Baker, Nietschke, Hore, Bedford, Chandler, Lockhart, Wagner, Bradtke, Walker, Dunkley, M Brown, Bennell, Daw, Deak Smith, Declase.

So far it’s 0 from 15 from 2017-20.

In 2016 he went 1 (Hannan) with 5 strike outs (Johnston, Filipovic, Smith, Keilty, Maynard). 0 from 4 in 2015 unless you’re a Joel Smith believer or really liked liked Josh Wagner.

1 in 24 played 50 games. Not expecting miracles here. But a couple more 50 gamers would give us a deeper list. 

I'm not disagreeing with you. But there are only 23 spots on the list per game.

You have to take into account that we had a good core group of players ready to go by 2015. We have then;

1.Traded in multiple best 23 players

2. Drafted very well in our first and second rounds.

3. Played pretty much the same best 23 players for three years straight.

You can argue that the third point is because no late picks have been good enough to push for selection. Or you could argue that it's because we nailed the first two points I listed and there isnt room for a late pick player to make it to 50 games.

If you had to choose, you would choose to get the first 2 things right than worry about the later picks.

• Like 2

On 9/18/2022 at 9:39 PM, Older demon said:

Sorry cannot agree. Bedford is a keeper and his game at Casey highlights why he is worth persisting with.

Yep agree and he replaces????

Edited by picket fence

18 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Wonder if we'll shop James Harmes around for this exact reason.

Signed a 5 year deal back in 2019.

I've put your question here rather than in the 'Salary Dump' thread.

To me he is like ANB; plays a very valuable role but if we trade either we don't have someone of their size at Casey to step in.  Most of those looking for selection are a fair bit shorter  That isn't to say they can't do the roles but we can't have to many shortish players in the fwd line.

I would rather shop ANB around, again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Yep agree and he replaces????

If Bedford can bring what he does at Casey to AFL level (definitely think he can) then he'd replace one of Melksham/ANB/Spargo.

Same for Chandler who could also come in for one of those three.

Would be significant upgrades imo.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, JTR said:

If Bedford can bring what he does at Casey to AFL level (definitely think he can) then he'd replace one of Melksham/ANB/Spargo.

Same for Chandler who could also come in for one of those three.

Would be significant upgrades imo.

The thing in Chandler’s favour is that he can rack up big numbers in the VFL, don’t think Bedford can.

I like them both and think they should get more opportunity this year with Spargo/ANB/Melksham not being effective enough for 2022

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, BW511 said:

The thing in Chandler’s favour is that he can rack up big numbers in the VFL, don’t think Bedford can.

I like them both and think they should get more opportunity this year with Spargo/ANB/Melksham not being effective enough for 2022

My concern is that Chandler racks up big numbers because he plays midfield. He won't at AFL level.

It feels like we are back at the stage we were a few years ago, where guys go back to the VFL and play out of position compared to where they would play in the AFL. It happened with JKH all the time

Edited by Mickey
Spelling
  • Thinking 1

3 minutes ago, Mickey said:

My concern is that Chandler racks up big numbers because he plays midfield. He won't at AFL level.

It feels like we are back at the stage we were a few years ago, where guys go back to the VFL and play out of position compared to where they would play in the AFL. It happened with JKH all the time

Others have complained that the reverse is true, our young players don't play midfield at Casey. I think that's true - White, Munro and Dunstan carry the Casey midfield. And I think that's wise because if Chandler, Bedford or Laurie do come into the MFC side it's not going to be in the midfield, it's going to be in the forward roles they play at Casey. That's what they need to master.

• Like 5

I've changed my mind re drafting Cadman this year, especially with the news that Grundy is more than likely to be with us next year.

And whilst I agree that Max is not a forward, I understand the importance of prolonging his career at his age given how well he plays his position. I'd rather Max play more forward-time in the hope that we get consistently high level ruck service from him over the next 2-4 years as opposed to flogging him in the ruck for most of a game and risking him falling off the cliff within 2 years. 

So given the likelihood of a 'Max at Full Forward' situation next year, our forwardline will need a facelift.

Which brings me to Sheezel.

I'd be doing everything we can to move up the draft/acquire the pick that will likely land him through the Jackson trade.

He is absolute class, I watched the TAC cup grand final and he is what we're crying out for to play that half-forward connector role or even a pocket in his first year.

Our ability to turn inside 50's into scoring opportunities is our biggest issue imo and Sheezel's ball use, vision and ability to turn non-opportunities into scoring chances can't be understated. He's exactly the player we're crying out for and has the ability to move into the midfield in time.

Sheezel and Konstanty would compliment our forwardline nicely. Konstanty is a small forward with an appetite to defend and he possesses great agility and forward craft.

So the forwardline would look like the following (when Gawn is resting forward):

Konstanty       Gawn         Fritsch

Pickett             JVR           Sheezel 

Int forwards: Brown and Spargo/Chandler

* I've left T mac out because I can't see him playing first quarter of the season after this op, maybe more.

That forwardline just excites so much more. I think it cause so many more headaches for oppo given the damage those players can have with minimal touches. Sheezel and Pickett's ball use, speed and touch is scary and would give so much more confidence to leading forwards like Fritsch and Brown who rely on quality ball. I just think there's so much scope with a forwardline like that. The only knock is that we wouldn't have ANB's running capacity but I really think that can be covered for given he rarely impacts when around the ball anyway. He's either getting caught or fumbling most of the time which just cancels out all his hard work getting up the ground.

Make it happen. I'd do anything to see Sheezel running around for us next year.

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

I've changed my mind re drafting Cadman this year, especially with the news that Grundy is more than likely to be with us next year.

And whilst I agree that Max is not a forward, I understand the importance of prolonging his career at his age given how well he plays his position. I'd rather Max play more forward-time in the hope that we get consistently high level ruck service from him over the next 2-4 years as opposed to flogging him in the ruck for most of a game and risking him falling off the cliff within 2 years. 

So given the likelihood of a 'Max at Full Forward' situation next year, our forwardline will need a facelift.

Which brings me to Sheezel.

I'd be doing everything we can to move up the draft/acquire the pick that will likely land him through the Jackson trade.

He is absolute class, I watched the TAC cup grand final and he is what we're crying out for to play that half-forward connector role or even a pocket in his first year.

Our ability to turn inside 50's into scoring opportunities is our biggest issue imo and Sheezel's ball use, vision and ability to turn non-opportunities into scoring chances can't be understated. He's exactly the player we're crying out for and has the ability to move into the midfield in time.

Sheezel and Konstanty would compliment our forwardline nicely. Konstanty is a small forward with an appetite to defend and he possesses great agility and forward craft.

So the forwardline would look like the following (when Gawn is resting forward):

Konstanty       Gawn         Fritsch

Pickett             JVR           Sheezel 

Int forwards: Brown and Spargo/Chandler

* I've left T mac out because I can't see him playing first quarter of the season after this op, maybe more.

That forwardline just excites so much more. I think it cause so many more headaches for oppo given the damage those players can have with minimal touches. Sheezel and Pickett's ball use, speed and touch is scary and would give so much more confidence to leading forwards like Fritsch and Brown who rely on quality ball. I just think there's so much scope with a forwardline like that. The only knock is that we wouldn't have ANB's running capacity but I really think that can be covered for given he rarely impacts when around the ball anyway. He's either getting caught or fumbling most of the time which just cancels out all his hard work getting up the ground.

Make it happen. I'd do anything to see Sheezel running around for us next year.

If that’s our fwd line at next year we won’t win many games no way would we play 3 new kids and be contending for a flag, if Bedford and JVR can’t get in this year there is no way 2 rookies are pushing out Anb and Spargo and Brown and Melksham.

43 minutes ago, Mickey said:

I did not think he played much permanent mid time on the weekend, however I was watching a little sporadically.

Edited by BW511

46 minutes ago, Mickey said:

These guys are not kicking out any of the big players in our midfield rotation,  their first steps are to break into the side,  they need to put pressure on ANB Spargo, Sparrow, Jordan.. and frankly,  Goodwin and Co have to reward these guys.

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2022 at 2:59 PM, Bates Mate said:

Boohoo forced his way out of GWS to get to Freo now wants out. apparently the last year of his contract is not worth much as his Freo contract was front loaded. He's not very good anyway a 5-6 good games a year player

It must be frustrating to be a professional footballer, for some, these days.

18 hours ago, 58er said:

Disagree D 11

These players of Geelong are the greatly improved ones that are much better than the slow and marginally skilled Dalhsus for example.

Menogola is a good player but on a wing ?

They all have pace and the ability to run and keep the ball in motion. 

That's the new Chris Scott mantra after a decade of slow but steady ball movement. 

Each one of these  new players are sharing 1,2 or 3 on grounds each round .

We must move on our flankers etc snd 4 and 5 on ballers and get better and  more skilled role players and ideal match winners say like Kossie and Lingers. 

The Spargs ANB and Sparrow/( Harmes ? Not sure really) are on notice. We need Howes Chandler Bedford snd AMZ  to find their legs in 2023. Oh and Bowser in the team snd a fit Salem and Rivers. 

And Scotty boys will have failed again if he loses Saturday