Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Trade and Free Agency rumours

Nascent

4 hours ago, binman said:

Personally, I'm not convinced Jacko is gone.

But if he wants out, I 100% agree we should play hard ball.

We owe Jackson nothing and homesickness doesn't tick the 'personal reasons' box.

For starters, you don't know his reasons for returning home.

Secondly, what exactly does hardball mean? He's out of contract and can walk to the Eagles in the PSD. I'm sure the club's idea of a fair trade differs from some posters here.

Edited by mo64
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, binman said:

Personally, I'm not convinced Jacko is gone.

But if he wants out, I 100% agree we should play hard ball.

We owe Jackson nothing and homesickness doesn't tick the 'personal reasons' box.

I personally trust the premiership winning list management team to get it done the right way...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Clintosaurus said:

Reckon the big Porterhouse might end up at Brisbane. 

Sorry Clint, can I ask who you are talking about? I can't figure it it out, (but it is making me hungry).

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, mo64 said:

For starters, you don't know his reasons for returning home.

Secondly, what exactly does hardball mean? He's out of contract and can walk to the Eagles in the PSD. I'm sure the club's idea of a fair trade differs from some posters here.

Ok, so you keep hinting that you have the inside word and there are personal reasons beyond the everyday homesickness/family excuse.

Maybe you know, maybe you don't and someone is spinning you a story or maybe you are like another poster on here and spinning your own story.

I don't really care.

There won't be any hardball, it's not the way we do business...but we will expect a fair price.

It would be reasonable to expect more than the pick 3 we gave up for him.

How much more is where the negotiations will start.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Clintosaurus said:

Reckon the big Porterhouse might end up at Brisbane. 

rkn he'll wrap up now, he was super smart, think like a 99 ATAR and his back has held him back since he signed with carlton, probably time for the next stage

• Like 2

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/news/moneyball-afl-trades-all-the-latest-news-and-whispers-on-potential-2022-player-movement/news-story/42b585f5e5c2030a047801ce6a007f55?amp=

Dees super-sub headed north?

Melbourne’s super-sub Toby Bedford is in the Giants’ sights as a potential replacement for Bobby Hill.

With Hill all but certain to request a trade to Collingwood – and forward-half pressure being a significant problem area this year – GWS has turned its attention to Bedford.

He was the medical substitute in each of the first six rounds and it took fellow forwards Kozzie Pickett and Alex Neal-Bullen entering Covid protocols for him to play a full game in round 7.

The 22-year-old served as the sub on 10 occasions in total but was dropped for a third time ahead of round 20 and hasn’t returned after not capitalising on a month-long stint in the senior side.

Bedford has speed to burn, genuine goal sense and a defensive appetite the Giants would benefit from, alongside superstar Toby Greene and Brent Daniels, who missed the entire season with foot and hamstring setbacks.

There appears no obvious path to regular AFL games for him at the Demons, so the GWS approach should pique his interest – but the Giants aren’t the only club to inquire about him.

Melbourne not only has Pickett, Neal-Bullen and Charlie Spargo as small forward options but also likes Kade Chandler despite him, too, being starved of senior opportunities.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Didin't want to start a new thread so posting this here for interest, on player salaries.  blake-acres

Blake Acres has been offered a 2 year contract of $200k-$300k.  Now Freo may be trying to save money for Jackson but the low figure took me by surprise.

Not surprising that other clubs have come calling with 3 year deals of $350k.

With all the big $ that get talked about sometimes we forget that many many players, play for not much in relative AFL terms.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:42 PM, deelusions from afar said:

But no ones ever building a list from scratch.  When we drafted Kozzie people said we were crazy as he's just a forward pocket / pressure forward.  But he is incredibly important to our team / structure / system as he filled a need we are crying out for.

Every club built from scratch, so incorrect. Albeit clubs like us over 100 years ago. But more recent Suns/GWS/Crows/Freo/WC all started with 0 players in their list & had to pick a 1st.

A small half forward gets trumped by a Ruck every day of the week.He’s not a hun mid, not even a decent kid & he’s the typical flashy shoe off that would rather kick 1 freaky goal in a game & do nothing for the rest of it over being a 20+ possum player a fake. Not saying he won’t he good as he’s young, but will never get classed as an elite mid, I’m confident of that.Ruck wins out as they are rare & take longer to develop. You rarely see a Ruck under the mid 20s playing every week let alone under 20, but every year small forwards & mids debut by the dozen.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

34 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Didin't want to start a new thread so posting this here for interest, on player salaries.  blake-acres

Blake Acres has been offered a 2 year contract of $200k-$300k.  Now Freo may be trying to save money for Jackson but the low figure took me by surprise.

With all the big $ that get talked about sometimes we forget that many many players, play for not much in relative AFL terms.

That is definitely on the lower side though. Even $350k to shift clubs isn't particularly enticing for established best 22 players, which Acres has become at Freo this year.

Really poor list management IMO, but I fully appreciate I don't have all the details. And that wage is unlikely to take into account match payments and any additional payment triggers.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2022 at 4:48 PM, Sydee said:

I think that's obvious - recruitment is always about team needs

That's why assessing a players relative  value only makes sense using the hypothetical I mentioned

The question was which is the better / more valuable footballer - IMO it's LJ by a big margin. I don't really care if others disagree 

100%. Half forwards that kick one freaky goal a game are a dime a dozen. Starting rucks who are 20 are unicorns. There are half forwards at every club & many more waiting in the VFL etc, but not Rucks of AFL ability. I mean he could be good, but he ain’t a kid or elite at least, he’s a role player that’s needed, but you can do without.

There will be another 20 next year that debut but I bet there are no Rucks under 20 making debuts.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

42 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Interesting. WA boy but spent years at StKilda.

We were after Amon for the wing. Now that he is off the table do we think about Acres? Especially with a potential deal for Jackson looming.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BAMF said:

Interesting. WA boy but spent years at StKilda.

We were after Amon for the wing. Now that he is off the table do we think about Acres? Especially with a potential deal for Jackson looming.

Acres IMV is a Harmes type, but not as hard or as good. 

• Like 5

Josh Bruce is a curious one 

Does he get a game with Lobb, Naughton and JUH? Unlikely, unless one of them is headed to defence 

Really similar to Tomlinson, having strong years prior to ACL's only to return looking half cooked 

Could a straight swap be on the cards? One cooked knee for another, fits a need for both clubs...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, adonski said:

Josh Bruce is a curious one 

Does he get a game with Lobb, Naughton and JUH? Unlikely, unless one of them is headed to defence 

Really similar to Tomlinson, having strong years prior to ACL's only to return looking half cooked 

Could a straight swap be on the cards? One cooked knee for another, fits a need for both clubs...

Love the pic adonski. 

Conditional on him being fit, and the filth paying a decent % of his wage Gawndy is growing on me! 

• Like 1

We are the defending premiers. We've got a great team with still plenty of young potential. We'll be active in trading and/or drafting with good picks if Jackson leaves.

But what we don't need is other club's detritus like Bruce and the once-good but now retired Ryder.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, A F said:

Acres IMV is a Harmes type, but not as hard or as good. 

Harmes doesn't play on the wing.

Acres has been very solid playing wing this year. Regardless, he isn't on my wish list. Just mentioning that he might be on the clubs radar.

On 8/23/2022 at 5:39 PM, Pink Freud said:

EDMUND’S MEGA TRADE UPDATE ON TARANTO, JACKSON, GUNSTON, RIOLI AND MORE

“West Coast believe they’re still in the hunt for Luke, so we cannot rule out the Eagles.

“Fremantle are seen to be the frontrunner there, that might still be the case, but the Eagles maintain they’re still in the race for the WA-born ruckman.

“Luke Jackson’s gone, let’s just state that as fact.” 

A  question:

1. Do we really think Luke would go from a premiership team with a realistic chance to win 2 or 3 more over the next 5 years, to a side which probably won’t be in the window for the next 5-7 years. Sure he would be paid maybe 25% more at the Eagles in his home state, but it is a lot to give up, and it is not as though he would be poorly paid at the Dees. I rather suspect that after we win our second flag in two years, and with every prospect of a couple more after that, that he just might stay with us to get the glory that that represents. 

• Love 1

On 8/23/2022 at 5:20 PM, Slartibartfast said:

But they have a lot we would want.  Young, Serong, Chapman, Henry, Amiss to name a few plus their first rounder.

I know they don't want to deal those players but that could get the deal done so suggesting they "just can't" isn't right.  WCE sit in the wings.  PSD is an option for us.  They've rated Jackson very highly based on their reported offer to him.

I'd play hard ball.  WCE have pick 2.  Freo, it's in your hands.

How about Jackson for Bradshaw - when you think about it it is not as silly as it sounds!!!

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Dees2014 said:

How about Jackson for Bradshaw - when you think about it it is not as silly as it sounds!!!

Daniel Bradshaw is 43yo now.  I know we need a key forward but leave that age recruiting to Geelong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8