Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CASEY: Rd 16 vs Geelong

WERRIDEE

3 hours ago, 58er said:

What a stupid comment. 

Oh well if you are happy for us to keep playing a selfish player who keeps burning his team mates 58 .... just keep picking him and say / ask nothing in terms of changing that habbit.

That attitude will then start creaping through the group and it's a downward spiral from there

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Tarax Club said:

Guy in the left stereo channel needs to seriously review his thesaurus

I've just been reading Roger's Thesaurus.

It was educative, informative, enlightening, illuminating, instructive and edifying.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Tarax Club said:

6 Bailey Laurie

5 James Munro

4 Jayden Hunt

3 Jacob van Rooyen

2  Luke Dunstan

1 Taj Woewodin

Honourable mentions;

Deakyn Smith

Kade Chandler

Jake Melksham

Adjudication;

sCats seemingly got the run of the kitty litter 2nd & 3rd quarter. As another poster waggishly suggested umpires needed to get keys to leave town.

Broadcast;

Guy in the left stereo channel needs to seriously review his thesaurus / dictionary, 'treacle' ain't trickle when referring to ball rolling out of bounds slowly. Plus its Taj not Ty Woewodin!

Opposition Hyperbole;

Luke Dahlhaus 'just going' about as well as his former team mates. Early retirement forecast.

Overall Comment;

Casey Demons appeared to be 'gone', goal less whilst the sCats kicked eight unanswered goals after a terrific first quarter six goals to zip. In tough conditions turned it around lead by the young guns, Bailey Laurie BOG, Jacob van Rooyen and Kade Chandler. IMHO given that the chances of a win appeared to be rapidly sinking in the Corio Bay downpour. Bailey Laurie's lead from the front performance was the best by a yet to debut listed player for the season. His promotion to the seniors deserves serious consideration by selectors.

* Demonland Fact Checker

Claims by a poster with the Leslie Nielsen avatar that Laurie and Chandler are "four foot two" have been fact checked at the MFC website and suggest he made a blue. Laurie is closer to an imperial 5' 10" at 179cm and Chandler 5'9" at 175cm, both could be described as 'nuggety' in the old school parlance at 81kg and 80kg.

Thanks for this T.C. Some of the best footballers I've seen stand at 175cm. I'm not sure what the problem is. It's one of the great attractions of Aussie Rules, all shapes and sizes can be stars. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Oh well if you are happy for us to keep playing a selfish player who keeps burning his team mates 58 .... just keep picking him and say / ask nothing in terms of changing that habbit.

That attitude will then start creaping through the group and it's a downward spiral from there

You mean a 60-goal a year premiership full-forward? Just wondering how many of those are "creaping" around the competition at the minute?

48 minutes ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

You mean a 60-goal a year premiership full-forward? Just wondering how many of those are "creaping" around the competition at the minute?

Do you want him to be the best player he can possibly be QD or just a goal kicker?

I believe there's always room for improvement and that he can bring both.  Just needs a small reminder

After I watched the game I changed my mind about Laurie must come in he was brilliant.

STORIES by KC from Casey

There were more than a few stories about Friday night’s game between the Casey Demons and Geelong at GMHBA Stadium.

The first was one of complete domination in the first quarter (six goals to nil), ascendency in the last (five to two) and the second was about the void in between (zero to seven). The third was about how, in the end, the Demons retained their unbeaten record despite the hell of a scare they had on the rainswept spaces of the Cattery.

However, the story that folk might be telling somewhere down the track in the future is the one about how a few of the club's young guns approached readiness for higher achievements in the rain and the gloom of Corio Bay where their senior counterparts had met with a humiliating defeat only 24 hours earlier.

Casey was so quick off the blocks that they had six goals on the board in the blink of an eye with some fine input from the team’s solid mix of performers including, pleasingly, a few Demon young guns in Bailey Laurie, Jacob Van Rooyen and Taj Woewodin.

Then, after something of an arm wrestle for the first half of the second term, the Cats gained the momentum through ruckman Jonathon Ceglar (returning after a long injury lay off) and goal kicking utility Francis Evans to kick the next eight goals of the match over a period that stretched to close on the 10 minute mark of the final quarter when Laurie kicked his second.

During the period in which the Cats had the ascendency, the Demons resembled their senior counterparts from the night before as the seemed frozen when it came to their approach to goals. In between Laurie’s first goal late in the opening term and his second, Casey managed nine consecutive behinds and it appeared that it would almost certainly suffer its first loss of the VFL season.

However, once the team regained its composure, the goals flowed and the Demons returned to normality to peg back a 12 point deficit to win 11.9 (75) to 9.10 (64). Laurie (29 touches) in particular was outstanding and he and Van Rooyen showed that they are approaching readiness for higher glory while Woewodin will almost certainly have to wait for 2023. Trent Rivers and Jayden Hunt put their hands up for their more immediate return and Kade Chandler and Luke Dunstan must also be close. Sam Weideman also had his moments. Casey stalwart Jimmy Munro (24 touches) was also tough in the clinches.

In the end, the tired Demons walked off the ground having notched up their 14th win for the season having well earned a rest for next week’s bye but I suspect that some of them will not be resting at all and that rather, they have a long trip to the centre of the country ahead of them.

CASEY DEMONS 6.1.37 6.3.39 6.7.43 11.9.75

GEELONG VFL 0.3.3 4.3.27 7.6.48 9.10.64

Goals 

Casey Demons Laurie 3 Van Rooyen Weideman 2 M Brown Chandler Hunt Woewodin 

Geelong VFL Evans 5 Neale 2 Chafer Stephens 

Best 

Casey Demons Laurie Dunstan Rivers Hunt Woewodin Van Rooyen Chandler

Geelong VFL Evans Ceglar Narkle McLaughlan Narkle Byrne Capiron 

Statistics 

Oskar Baker 10 kicks 5 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 2 tackles 62 dream team points
Jack Bell 1 behind 5 kicks 5 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 21 hit outs 53 dream team points
Mitch Brown 1 goal 11 kicks 2 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 1 tackle 52 dream team points
Matt Buntine 4 kicks 6 handballs 10 disposals 1 mark 3 tackles 39 dream team points
Kade Chandler 1 goals 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 70 dream team points
George Churchill Grey 2 kicks 2 handballs 4 disposals 3 tackles 22 dream team points
Luke Dunstan 19 kicks 10 handballs 29 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 91 dream team points
Corey Ellison 4 kicks 1 handball 5 disposals 1 mark 2 tackles 26 dream team points
Kobe George goals 1 handball 1 disposal 2 dream team points
Jayden Hunt 1 goals 12 kicks 5 handballs 17 disposals 7 marks 3 tackles 82 dream team points
Bailey Laurie 3 goals 1 behind 16 kicks 13 handballs 29 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles 118 dream team points
Judd McVee 5 kicks 3 handballs 8 disposals 2 marks 1 tackle 31 dream team points
Jake Melksham 1 behind 11 kicks 9 handballs 20 disposals 2 marks 6 tackles 78 dream team points
James Munro 6 kicks 18 handballs 24 disposals 2 marks 9 tackles 94 dream team points
Trent Rivers 11 kicks 9 handballs 20 disposals 2 marks 51 dream team points
Fraser Rosman 6 kicks 3 handballs 9 disposals 3 marks 1 tackle 38 dream team points
Deakyn Smith 4 kicks 2 handballs 6 disposals 1 mark 6 tackles 41 dream team points
Roan Steele 1 behinds 4 kicks 1 handball 5 disposals 1 tackle 14 dream team points
Adam Tomlinson 15 kicks 1 handballs 16 disposals 1 mark 47 dream team points
Jacob Van Rooyen 2 goals 9 kicks 2 handballs 11 disposals 6 marks 3 tackles 5 hit outs 80 dream team points
Sam Weideman 2 goals 2 behinds 4 kicks 4 handballs 8 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles 1 hit out 57 dream team points
Taj Woewodin 1 goal 7 kicks 6 handballs 13 disposals 2 marks 4 tackles dream team points
Mitch White 11  kicks 4 handballs 15 disposals 1 mark 1 tackles 48 dream team points

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

If you want to see how tough players are today and what their bodies endure, there was a sickening collision between Conway and Deakyn Smith at the 17 minute mark of the final quarter.  This was the definition of the "hospital handpass", but to be fair to Jimmy Munro, Conway came off the nearby bench:

https://www.afl.com.au/video/795568/vfl-match-replay-r16-geelong-v-casey?videoId=795568&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1657281686001

7 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

This was the definition of the "hospital handpass", but to be fair to Jimmy Munro, Conway came off the nearby bench:

Have often thought that there should be a more organised way for players to re-enter the arena. Exit via the wing but perhaps re-enter via either goal. Alternatively the interchange gate is "closed" when the ball is within 50 metres

In my simple calculations we have approximately 300 movements through the interchange gates each match

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I like that Laurie played well. But has he strung enough good games together to warrant promotion? I seem to recall recent criticism of not getting into the game enough. 

This is his last month of footy from a stats wise.

Don't know how much more he can do to put his hand up.

Screenshot_20220711-124422_VFL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Thanks for this. Would that be disposals, scores, kicks, marks, handpasses, tackles and hitouts in that order? If so, I agree he's done better than my memory of reading these threads had suggested.

24 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I am wrapped to see Laurie finding more of the ball, but Kade Chandler's stats are better. 25 goals in 11 games and 18 possessions a game.

Opposition Year Round Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Hitouts Tackles Scoreboard Fantasy
 Sandringham Zebras 2022 R1 4 1 5 1 0 0 1.0 6 25
 Essendon VFL 2022 R2 13 9 22 5 0 3 2.1 13 101
 Williamstown 2022 R3 6 3 9 3 0 2 2.3 15 58
 Coburg Lions 2022 R4 9 4 13 6 1 2 1.2 8 65
 Richmond VFL 2022 R5 9 8 17 6 0 6 1.1 7 93
 Box Hill Hawks 2022 R6 11 5 16 6 0 4 3.0 18 95
 Southport 2022 R7 15 11 26 7 0 3 0.2 2 98
 Sydney Swans 2022 R11 10 9 19 8 0 3 1.0 6 87
 Gold Coast Suns 2022 R14 10 10 20 6 0 6 2.1 13 101
 Port Melbourne 2022 R15 18 11 29 6 0 1 5.1 31 133
 Geelong VFL 2022 R16 11 9 20 5 0 0 1.1 7 69

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I am wrapped to see Laurie finding more of the ball, but Kade Chandler's stats are better. 25 goals in 11 games and 18 possessions a game.

Opposition Year Round Kicks Handballs Disposals Marks Hitouts Tackles Scoreboard Fantasy
 Sandringham Zebras 2022 R1 4 1 5 1 0 0 1.0 6 25
 Essendon VFL 2022 R2 13 9 22 5 0 3 2.1 13 101
 Williamstown 2022 R3 6 3 9 3 0 2 2.3 15 58
 Coburg Lions 2022 R4 9 4 13 6 1 2 1.2 8 65
 Richmond VFL 2022 R5 9 8 17 6 0 6 1.1 7 93
 Box Hill Hawks 2022 R6 11 5 16 6 0 4 3.0 18 95
 Southport 2022 R7 15 11 26 7 0 3 0.2 2 98
 Sydney Swans 2022 R11 10 9 19 8 0 3 1.0 6 87
 Gold Coast Suns 2022 R14 10 10 20 6 0 6 2.1 13 101
 Port Melbourne 2022 R15 18 11 29 6 0 1 5.1 31 133
 Geelong VFL 2022 R16 11 9 20 5 0 0 1.1 7 69

The problem for Chandler is that he has been tried before and not grasped the opportunity. I would rather see what Laurie can offer for that reason. I suspect Chandler is going to be one of those players destined to be too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL level. 

9 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

The problem for Chandler is that he has been tried before and not grasped the opportunity. I would rather see what Laurie can offer for that reason. I suspect Chandler is going to be one of those players destined to be too good for VFL and not good enough for AFL level. 

Chandler is quicker, better in the air and a long kick. He has a game that looks better suited for AFL than Laurie at this stage. Laurie needs to get an AFL body like Viney or ANB given isn't quick.

Chandler hasn't really been given that many chances. 9 games but sub for most of them (unused in 4 games).

Edited by Fat Tony
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, adonski said:

Chandler is a bull at a gate, doesn't have the composure 

I don’t think that is fair - he is a pretty talented footballer and has played very very well in many games for Casey

Laurie is a different type of small - not as quick but extremely hard to move off the ball and has an excellent football brain which allows him to usually make the right decision in terms of disposal and then generally executes extremely well

The knock on him so far from my perspective has been not getting enough of it and questions over his ability to cover enough ground and at sufficient speed to perform at AFL level. His most recent game against Geelong was probably his best to date but I’m still not 100% convinced he is fit enough. He is an interesting one because I sense he could be the type of player that thrives with better players around him in which case he would possibly perform better than most of promoted 

3 minutes ago, Sydee said:

I don’t think that is fair - he is a pretty talented footballer and has played very very well in many games for Casey

Laurie is a different type of small - not as quick but extremely hard to move off the ball and has an excellent football brain which allows him to usually make the right decision in terms of disposal and then generally executes extremely well

The knock on him so far from my perspective has been not getting enough of it and questions over his ability to cover enough ground and at sufficient speed to perform at AFL level. His most recent game against Geelong was probably his best to date but I’m still not 100% convinced he is fit enough. He is an interesting one because I sense he could be the type of player that thrives with better players around him in which case he would possibly perform better than most of promoted 

Yep, I think he will get found out for pace at AFL level. Needs to be strong enough to win contested possessions and should be getting 25-30 possessions a week at VFL level.

The game against the Cats was in very wet conditions in the second half, which was to his advantage.

On 7/9/2022 at 12:22 AM, WERRIDEE said:

It's great to see Laurie and Roo boy play well but I doubt any of them will debut. Weideman still must be in front of van Rooyen even though he's playing good football and Dunstan will come in for Clarry that's why we picked him up. I think Bedford is a certainty to be dropped been poor but the rest of the out of form players that have been mentioned will be given another chance to redeem themselves.

Please, please, please don't suggest, at any stage, that we will be Premiers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1