Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:      

Clayton Oliver: A Demon for Life



Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

And not to jinx him, but he’s been remarkably resilient. Has he missed a game since debut? 

Knock Knock Good Luck GIF by StickerGiant

He hasn't missed a game since round 20 2016 when we had that amazing win over the Hawks.

Something like 127 consecutive till now.

I was surprised that he wasn't in the seniors for 6 weeks in a row in 2016, his first year.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I was surprised that he wasn't in the seniors for 6 weeks in a row in 2016, his first year.

deliberately "managed" to balance his first season in the big time and not over-exert him

i remember going to the vfl grand final where he was just incredible in a casey side that got blown away by footscray 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Congratulations to MFC, together  with Clarry and his manager for getting this done discreetly without the headlines from the shock jocks of the footy media scrum. 

Really refreshing that this can still happen without the usual fanfare and speculation from the great unwashed of the third estate. Says a lot for all the parties involved. Well done. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It all makes sense ....

He was on the bench when Bedford kicked his second goal v Brisbane. Clarry stood up and raised his arms. He looked so happy ... it had the look of "I love my team mates, I love this club".

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Congratulations to MFC, together  with Clarry and his manager for getting this done discreetly without the headlines from the shock jocks of the footy media scrum. 

Really refreshing that this can still happen without the usual fanfare and speculation from the great unwashed of the third estate. Says a lot for all the parties involved. Well done. 

Errr, I mean the 4th Estate. Where’s my proof reader. That’s what happens when your dead. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Still think we should have picked Parish

So does all of Essendon...

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clarry had that something special in him from the first time he put his toe in the water on the G.

Up there with my all time Favs.  Love watching him play and the joy with which he plays.

Continuing on in the footsteps of the Demon spirits of the past, touch wood, he looks like joining them and possibly even surpassing some to become one of our all time greats.

The Ron Barassi of our time!!??

Congrats to Clarry & the club.  Fabulous news.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely delighted this has happened.

Clarry is a once in a generation player who we need to keep alongside Tracc. Him, Jack and CP5 may one day be as good a centreline as Bourke/Barrett/Clay, Voss/Black/Lappin or Cousins/Judd/Kerr.

I also hope that the club has done its sums and I think they are smart enough to have done so.

We have Salo, Viney, Harmes, Oliver and Petracca all signed into 5 year or more contracts (to be fair, Harmes is now halfway through his). With these long term and, in some cases, big money deals now locked away, it is vital that there be enough to lock away Jackson. 

Premiership clubs sadly lose one or two players during the course of their life. Look at Richmond with Higgins, Chol and Ellis. I expect a few mid rangers or players who can't break into our side to look elsewhere. However, Dogga is the key piece determining whether we have a 7 to 8 year period of contention or a 2 to 3 year one dictated largely by Max's retirement date.

The ball is in your court now MFC admin!

Also, shave off that bloody mo, Clarry! There are men who can pull off a decent moustache without looking like a pimply teenager, a bloke you wouldn't let move in next door to a primary school or old folks home, or try hard. Rick Lever is one of them. Robert Dipierdomenico was another. Yourself and Lynden Dunn do not fall into this categoy.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember a time when I wished people would talk about my team, and wishing they had our players, like I did with Carey or Hird or even Judd and Voss. But I tell you something boy we have a special group.... onwards and upwards to at least another two flags. 

  • Like 5
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Rednblueriseing said:

I remember a time when I wished people would talk about my team, and wishing they had our players, like I did with Carey or Hird or even Judd and Voss. But I tell you something boy we have a special group.... onwards and upwards to at least another two flags. 

So true 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well done to the footy club for getting this done with Oliver. Quietly sorted it out and got it done to everyone's benefit.

It gives me confidence that we will do our very best to sort out Jackson and Brayshaw in a successful way. if we can secure Jackson for another couple of years and Brayshaw for a longer term, say 3/4 years then we will be looking at an extended shot at multiple flags. Even if we lose one or both of those two I can still see us pushing for more flags in the next 5 years.

Jackson is important to us over the next couple of years because we will need to look for additional ruck backup over that time and he is critical because of the role he plays for us at the moment. Brayshaw just has so many strings to his bow.... inside mid.... wing.... Half Back....and all those strings are first class. He just covers so many options for us and with skill and class.

Oliver only does one thing... inside mid.... he does not look like he spends too much time thinking when he plays, it is all instinct with him. He has great vision and imagination when he plays. In all the years I have been watching footy i just have not seen anyone play the way he does.

Great job to everyone involved.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

Absolutely delighted this has happened.

Clarry is a once in a generation player who we need to keep alongside Tracc. Him, Jack and CP5 may one day be as good a centreline as Bourke/Barrett/Clay, Voss/Black/Lappin or Cousins/Judd/Kerr.

I also hope that the club has done its sums and I think they are smart enough to have done so.

We have Salo, Viney, Harmes, Oliver and Petracca all signed into 5 year or more contracts (to be fair, Harmes is now halfway through his). With these long term and, in some cases, big money deals now locked away, it is vital that there be enough to lock away Jackson. 

Premiership clubs sadly lose one or two players during the course of their life. Look at Richmond with Higgins, Chol and Ellis. I expect a few mid rangers or players who can't break into our side to look elsewhere. However, Dogga is the key piece determining whether we have a 7 to 8 year period of contention or a 2 to 3 year one dictated largely by Max's retirement date.

The ball is in your court now MFC admin!

Also, shave off that bloody mo, Clarry! There are men who can pull off a decent moustache without looking like a pimply teenager, a bloke you wouldn't let move in next door to a primary school or old folks home, or try hard. Rick Lever is one of them. Robert Dipierdomenico was another. Yourself and Lynden Dunn do not fall into this categoy.

Colin you were on track but let your petty annoyances about appearance come to the surface.  With LJ, the pull of home is strong. It’s not about the money, it’s about going home. He may be happy here and the Club can do all the right things but clearly LJ wants to go home at some stage. Is it now or in a few years? We don’t know and perhaps LJ is in the same boat. He can be happy here and have lots of footy mates but ultimately I suspect he feels disconnected from Perth. It’s the way many of us feel who have moved away from their home base. Living in Japan, how do you feel about this issue? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

deliberately "managed" to balance his first season in the big time and not over-exert him

i remember going to the vfl grand final where he was just incredible in a casey side that got blown away by footscray 

He did have groin and OP issues as a teen so probably right with management. He wasn’t exactly in peak fitness either when drafted. 
 

I have to say that given how many off season shoulder operations he’s had, he’s been amazing at never showing any signs on the field. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love how quietly this happened. I sometimes cannot believe how much the MFC has changed. Only 10 years ago this would have been announced with a presser, a youtube video, a letter from the Queen, while Clarry was standing next to Barrassi, Neita, Jonesy, Goodwin and Coffey. We have finally matured and the internal integrity of the club (recent stuff from Bartlett aside) is rock solid.

I also believe Clarry bang-bang-bang Oliver will surpass Robbie as our best ever player, and I find that very difficult to admit. He is sublime. My eyes follow him whenever I am watching the Dees on TV, he plays at full pace, and kills opposition with run, grunt and penetration. Absolute star. 

No dynasty is guaranteed, but if Dogga and Gus also sign, we have a great chance of multiple flags at least. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

I love how quietly this happened. I sometimes cannot believe how much the MFC has changed. Only 10 years ago this would have been announced with a presser, a youtube video, a letter from the Queen, while Clarry was standing next to Barrassi, Neita, Jonesy, Goodwin and Coffey. We have finally matured and the internal integrity of the club (recent stuff from Bartlett aside) is rock solid.

I also believe Clarry bang-bang-bang Oliver will surpass Robbie as our best ever player, and I find that very difficult to admit. He is sublime. My eyes follow him whenever I am watching the Dees on TV, he plays at full pace, and kills opposition with run, grunt and penetration. Absolute star. 

No dynasty is guaranteed, but if Dogga and Gus also sign, we have a great chance of multiple flags at least. 

10 years ago this would not have been announced. Clary would have made his way to Carlton after a year of speculation and underperformance. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    HORSING AROUND by George On The Outer

    Before the match it was claimed that Collingwood were a “one trick pony” side.  Well that one trick worked very well against Melbourne, as they extended their winning streak to 11 for the season. Meanwhile, the Demons continued to horse around with structures which simply haven’t been working. The one tall forward option with resting rucks failed yet again, in an almost identical manner to the game against the Bulldogs recently.  93 more possessions, 65 inside 50 entries 24 more than the op

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE BUBBLE by The Oracle

    "I feel like we've got more than enough experience in close games. It'd be nice to win one by five or six goals and have that pulse lower a little bit late in games, but that's not our story." — Scott Pendlebury on the eve of his team’s forthcoming Round 21 game against Melbourne. When you read words such as these, you know it’s time for Melbourne fans to be humble. The old enemy is up and about while our mantle of invincibility has vanished into thin air. A Magpie win against the Demons wo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ANCHORS AWEIGH! by George on the Outer

    So came the cry from the Dockers as the S.S. Fremantle set sail with the hopes of all of their supporters on board on the mighty ship. Their task was to do nothing more than to defeat the Melbourne side and a top four position on the ladder was assured. The problem for them was that their leaky boat came up against the mighty battleship - Team Demon and it didn’t take long after they left port for their vessel to develop a multitude of leaks. The first salvo was fired by First Officer

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWEET SIXTEEN by KC from Casey

    The game was an uneven match up from the very beginning. The Casey Demons, representing an alignment between the reigning premiers Melbourne and the outer southeastern expansion area centred around a sprawling Cranbourne with its rapid population growth and the stand alone Northern Bullants from the inner north who sit at the foot of the VFL table. With 14 AFL listed players and a couple more having experience at the elite level opening with the breeze at their backs, the result was inevitable.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE HUNGER GAME by Whispering Jack

    The game may well have taken place a day short of ten weeks ago but the atmospherics surrounding Friday night’s match between Melbourne (then Narrm) and Fremantle are light years apart from those that prevailed when the teams last faced off the MCG in late autumn. On one hand, the Demons were in the midst of a 17 game winning spree that included a drought breaking premiership victory. On the other, the Dockers were coming off a six goal thrashing at Optus Stadium in teeming rain against a then s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DOG-TIED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were extended early against rivals Footscray VFL in their matchup played in wet and greasy conditions at VU Whitten Oval on Saturday but, after establishing their authority in the second quarter, they were able to tie up their opponents at the end to maintain their undefeated run which now stands at 15.  The game began under grey threatening skies and the wet conditions turned the game into a tight slog with scoring kept down to a minimum. The Demons were held goalless agai

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DOG DAY by George On The Outer

    It is said that every dog has its day and that was certainly the case when the Western Bulldogs defeated Melbourne under the roof at the Docklands on Saturday night.   While the Dogs were certainly at the very top of their game, the same couldn’t be said of the Demons. All around the ground, dismal individual performances and dismal team performances were the order of the day.  Fans should have been worried right from the start as the game turned into a goal-fest. This is not their team’

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING CATS & DOGS by Whispering Jack

    Despite winning their game in the Red Centre at the weekend, the consensus among the pundits is that Melbourne’s days in the sun are over. Ten rounds into the season, they were the competition’s top dogs and regarded virtually unbeatable but their recent form (three wins from the last seven games) has put them well below par, perilously clinging onto second spot on the ladder with storm clouds on the horizon. The air of invincibility that once surrounded them is gone and the Demons face a t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE KOZZY SHOW by George On The Outer

    Q: Melbourne is playing Port Adelaide at Traeger Park, Alice Springs and once again, it doesn’t have a properly functioning forward line — so from where were the goals going to come?   A: Kysaiah Pickett.     In a one man show in front of his adoring fans, he racked up six majors to give the Demons the edge in the game and to finally run out winners by 14 points.     The result could well have been very different without his efforts with Melbourne failing to score a major

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWITCHING ON by The Oracle

    We can’t take anything for granted, can we? After all, the Melbourne that took Port Adelaide for a long ride around the Adelaide Oval in early April of this year and switched off late in the game is finding it difficult of late to switch back on. Apart from a stellar display against the Brisbane Lions a fortnight ago, the Demons have laboured during the middle part of the season and, with a tough draw ahead of them, have reached a critical stage of the season after their first flag in decad

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STORIES by KC from Casey

    There were more than a few stories about Friday night’s game between the Casey Demons and Geelong at GMHBA Stadium. The first was one of complete domination in the first quarter (six goals to nil), ascendency in the last (five to two) and the second was about the void in between (zero to seven). The third was about how, in the end, the Demons retained their unbeaten record despite the hell of a scare they had on the rainswept spaces of the Cattery. However, the story that folk might be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NIPPED by George on the Outer

    Melbourne’s twenty eight point loss to Geelong down at Taxpayer Funded Park provided plenty of cat-nip for the Geelong fans and their team.  After all, the Cats go away thinking they have now got the Demons sorted after the embarrassments heaped upon them last season and their taste of this cat-nip will get even stronger in the coming weeks, courtesy of the AFL draw which gives them three more home games at the same venue in the six remaining rounds.  Yet Melbourne, despite this loss

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...