Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 16 vs Adelaide

Demonland

57 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Nowhere did I say that was my main criteria mate.

But if the bloke is only going to have 11 touches and 1 goal for the game then I would expect more impact than 2 effective disposals as part of it.

Ben Brown is WELL past the stage where we should be judging him on 'improvement'. This is a 29 year old former Coleman winner on a sizeable contract who hasn't performed for the majority of the year, not a 20 year old still learning the game and growing into his frame.

Geez he's getting let off lightly this year. It's bizarre.

There's some merit in this LN.  The problem is we've tried to go with Mitch for Macca and that hasn't worked.

So without Mitch and Macca who would you propose comes in for BB (as a KTF) if we wanted to spell him at Casey?

This comes back to the fact that we are lacking a genuine KTF option right at this moment who can perform at AFL level outside of Macca.  And who knows if Macca will go on past this season (other than maybe Macca).

All points to us needing to recruit a genuine bull / pack marking KTF for 2023 who's going to be a multiple goal kicker/threat from pretty much any position around the 50.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

So without Mitch and Macca who would you propose comes in for BB (as a KTF) if we wanted to spell him at Casey?

Jackson / Gawn / Weid are the three tall you play. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ham said:

Jackson / Gawn / Weid are the three tall you play. 

So far the FD is preferring BB to Weid (as the stay at home forward) when Max is playing Ham

44 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

There's some merit in this LN.  The problem is we've tried to go with Mitch for Macca and that hasn't worked.

This comes back to the fact that we are lacking a genuine KTF option right at this moment who can perform at AFL level outside of Macca.  And who knows if Macca will go on past this season (other than maybe Macca).

All points to us needing to recruit a genuine bull / pack marking KTF for 2023 who's going to be a multiple goal kicker/threat from pretty much any position around the 50.

100%, I wouldn't be dropping him this week for that exact reasoning. We don't have much choice atm but to ride the Sideshow train and hope it eventually arrives at Form Station.

Just think his lack of output has gone a fair bit under the radar this year, especially when comparable to other players who regularly cop it after 1 poor game.

And absolutely agree it's imperative we go after a key forward this offseason.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

How much is he on then exactly?

You said sizeable contract, and I just think it’s worth pointing out it wouldn’t be beyond what we should have paid given North wanted him gone.

Why you so angry today Nev? Seasonal affective disorder? It’s warm up the top of the ladder. Let the sunshine in.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, pitmaster said:

Weird did much more than those stats suggest - good physical presence in the ruck, several clean taps to advantage.

Weid was poor at many of the boundary throw-ins, he refused to play them in front and was often nowhere near the drop of the ball. Especially on the southern side where the throws were regularly falling short. Hopefully they work on that with him this week.

1 minute ago, The heart beats true said:

You said sizeable contract, and I just think it’s worth pointing out it wouldn’t be beyond what we should have paid given North wanted him gone.

Why you so angry today Nev? Seasonal affective disorder? It’s warm up the top of the ladder. Let the sunshine in.

You seemed VERY specific about his salary so I assumed you knew the exact amount.

And you're right, might crack a beer, have let a couple of trolls who follow me around continually ruin my posting tonight. (Not you btw!)

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I'd back in Lord Nev's knowledge of footy over SWYL any day of the week.

BBB was fairly ordinary the other night, but he's slowly improving from the lows of the Freo and Sydney debacles and we certainly don't have any other options at the moment.

No they're pretty much even.

• Like 1

No change for me. 

With the notable exception of last years finals series some of our best footy last year, especially in the first 8 rounds was with a two talls - four smalls forward setup. It’s easy to forget that while Weid and Brown were both injured we played TMac/Jackson-Gawn as our talls with Bailey playing third tall and Pickett, ANB and Spargo as our smalls. It was only when BBB’s form demanded it following a period where our scoring dropped and TMac had earned his place that we moved to three talls for the last four games and finals and obviously that worked a treat.

Our pressure looks so much better with just the two tall forwards and there is more space for Ben and Bailey to lead to. I would be interested to see whoever is in form out of Weid and BBB stay in for Geelong with the other coming out for Gawn and keeping Bedford in the team. Bailey Fritsch also seems to play better (GF the exception) as third forward and our pressure and danger on the ground in the forwardline goes to a whole new level with Pickett, ANB, Bedford, Spargo, Trac and Harmes all rolling through there. Mitch Brown was great at VFL level but with him in at AFL level our forwardline looked slow as he, BBB and Gawn all offer very little pressure on oppo running defenders inside 50.

I’d like to see the smaller forwardline for the next few games at least, until either TMac or whoever is dropped of BBB and Weid when Gawn returns or JVR truly force their way back in.

Gawny should take Adelaide off regardless and get absolutely cherry ripe, not just for Geelong but for the whole end of season run.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

Fwiw, i watched the replay with a focus on our talls.  They all did well at crashing packs, halving contests knocking the ball to advantage.  Weid put his body into contests like we haven’t seen before, he competed cleverly in most ruck contests.  BBB looked better and worked harder too.  jacko is doing fine at plumping his value.

I suggest wer go unchanged until MAx is right,  the smaller forward setup with different use of the talls seemed to work well for us.

...and maybe this is how Weid gets into form. If he focuses on those one percenters and builds his confidence contributing in that way the rest may just start to fall into place. I really hope he can do it.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

You seemed VERY specific about his salary so I assumed you knew the exact amount.

And you're right, might crack a beer, have let a couple of trolls who follow me around continually ruin my posting tonight. (Not you btw!)

Definitely crack a beer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Boots and all said:

...and maybe this is how Weid gets into form. If he focuses on those one percenters and builds his confidence contributing in that way the rest may just start to fall into place. I really hope he can do it.

It might also toughen him up at the contest a little.  He's a fine young fella in the open but i reckon this just might be the making of him if he's going to take the next step with the old white line fever and getting rid of the nice guy side a little.

I'm all in with others here in terms of keeping Sam in for as long as it takes to get Max cherry ripe coming in to Sept.

Might be a nice win win for both players and the team.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

The Walker/Fogarty combo requires some consideration given they kicked 10 between them yesterday.

Whilst they were playing nobody yesterday, 10 goals is still 10 goals and both were instrumental when they beat us last year, with Tex kicking the winning goal.

We did well against Brisbane's big "3" last week but all three are yet to hit peak form/fitness yet. These Adelaide blokes are at the top of their game.

If we were to somehow lose to Adelaide next week, I'd imagine these two lads would've had a big say in the result.

They kicked 10 against North, who decided to play their best defender at FF for reasons which make no sense to anyone.

If I were an Adelaide supporter I'd be very worried if anyone was getting this far ahead of themselves off the back of the easiest possible game a key forward could have played on the weekend.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harrisonrules said:

.ANB remains overrated. Watch his poor skill display of thrid quarter

Also burned Viney badly coming inside 50 at one stage.

I recall one or two other red veil moments that need cleaning up.

Nice goal down the Punt Rd end though.

6 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Not all posters understand that stats must be read and considered within a context.

Yes for example i note that a man named Uncle racked up at least one frothy in the pre-game warm up.

All in the name of a good cause of course.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

They kicked 10 against North, who decided to play their best defender at FF for reasons which make no sense to anyone.

If I were an Adelaide supporter I'd be very worried if anyone was getting this far ahead of themselves off the back of the easiest possible game a key forward could have played on the weekend.

tank satisfying GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Also burned Viney badly coming inside 50 at one stage.

I recall one or two other red veil moments that need cleaning up.

Nice goal down the Punt Rd end though.

Im not suggesting it was a fluke but ANB, Oliver and Petracca combined have kicked 14 goals 39 behinds this year with about 15 more shots that missed everything I think. 

That's pretty amazing to be that poor.   A random cannon shooting the football at goal would have converted more. 

Ok maybe i am suggesting it was a fluke

Edited by Jjrogan

1 minute ago, Jjrogan said:

Im not suggesting it was a fluke but ANB, Oliver and Petracca combined have kicked 14 goals 39 behinds this year with about 15 more shots that missed everything I think. 

That's pretty amazing to be that poor.   A random cannon shooting the football at goal would have converted more. 

One thing i noticed about the training facility at Casey is that there appears to be an indoor section specifically dedicated to kicking skills.  Including possibly shooting for goal?  I believe Choco has a fair role to play with this given his kicking academy background.

All of that is nothing new to most i'm sure but i just wonder whether too much 'indoor' training in a 'protected' facility doesn't translate too well once the reality of all the outdoor stuff & weather comes into play?

Probably nothing in it but just putting it out there.

• Like 1

I agree that regrettably, the ice BBB is skating on is getting thinner and thinner. 

However I do think the delivery to him has just as much room for improvement. There are many times when I get frustrated that he’s so often caught out of position. But I’m not convinced he’s the one solely to blame for that. 

Edited by Mel Bourne

If Fritsch displays a single selfish act again against Adelaide I'd drop him. 

He had three against Brissy and the handball he didn't give to Trac in the square is one of the most bewildering acts I've ever seen in team sport at this level. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

If Fritsch displays a single selfish act again against Adelaide I'd drop him. 

He had three against Brissy and the handball he didn't give to Trac in the square is one of the most bewildering acts I've ever seen in team sport at this level. 

That dribbler he attempted at the Punt Rd end was a poor choice as well. I'm sure he'll take this as a kick up the bum Jimmy, we'll see a more level Fritta this week. 

• Like 2