Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 15 vs Brisbane

Demonland

Viney's game was an absolute ripper, but i also really liked Bedford's game.  He'd have to be pretty close to being a permanent selection now Bedford, just about every full game he's player this year he's been excellent.

Weid did ok without setting the world on fire.

Maysy is just so important to the way we play.  Wasn't exceptional last night and he had that massive clanger kick that resulted in a  easy goal against the play, but you can tell he's just such a steddying influence on our defence.

Clarry was Clarry and the more I watch him, the more you see those brilliant hand passes and subtle knock ons that so often end in goals that would otherwise have ended in a stoppage or turnover.

Harmes Jimmy Jordan and Tommy Sparrow also continued their great seasons.  That goal marked over the goal line of Harmesy's was karma for that one Tommy Mac stole off him by marking it on the line!

• Like 6
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Well that’s the Aints gone for the year. 
Such a proud Club of Losing Crunch games

Year after Year after Year

2 Weeks ago Aints Supporters started sending messages telling me the Demons were done. I sent back Pictures of myself holding the Cup. 

F U Aints One of the most useless Sporting Organizations on Earth. 

Ratten is too good for that Cesspool 

Maybe saints could relocate to Tasmania.  (And North way up north to NT) 

• Like 1

Petracca looked good on Thursday night but I would be interested to know if there’s anything being done about his kicking for goal. His goal drought extended this week and there’s no doubt he’s getting enough looks at the big sticks to say he should be doing better. That one on 3 quarter time in particular he should be nailing every time. In fairness to him he’s not alone, Nibbler and Oliver both missed very straight forward chances in the third. I’m not expecting our team to do what we did in the Grand Final (hell that was one out of the blocks), but it is frustrating seeing very getable chances going to waste. 

EDIT throw BBB into the group wasting opportunities. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Pates said:

Petracca looked good on Thursday night but I would be interested to know if there’s anything being done about his kicking for goal. His goal drought extended this week and there’s no doubt he’s getting enough looks at the big sticks to say he should be doing better. That one on 3 quarter time in particular he should be nailing every time. In fairness to him he’s not alone, Nibbler and Oliver both missed very straight forward chances in the third. I’m not expecting our team to do what we did in the Grand Final (hell that was one out of the blocks), but it is frustrating seeing very getable chances going to waste. 

EDIT throw BBB into the group wasting opportunities. 

He was practicing a new lower ball drop before the game. The problem is his field kicking has that high release and it is fine. I think his bigger issue with his set shots is that he doesn’t get into a consistent momentum in the lead up to a kick. My mantra for goal kicking is to never lean back and also drive through with some momentum. The rest of it is up to decades of predisposition and what people are comfortable with.

• Like 3

A bit off line but I just watched the Sunday Footy Show to watch our Review Votes, etc. nothing, zero, Zilch. Fortunately we were out to brunch so could fast forward through the replay but very disappointed, not happy Jan.!!!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, bing181 said:

“Speaking after the Cats’ three goal win over West Coast, coach Chris Scott revealed the club had strategically upped the player’s training loads in between the Bulldogs and Eagles fixtures. A heavy training block over the break is standard at GMHBA Stadium …”

https://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/1153459/intense-training-block-to-prime-cats-for-september

The quote from the linked AFL article is from the journo (Troy Daniel).

As far i as know Scott has NEVER said they upped the 'player’s training loads in between the Bulldogs and Eagles fixtures". And certainly didn't in the presser Daniels references. Nor does Scott mention a 'heavy training block over the break'.

That is a complete fabrication from Daniels, at least based on the comments that Scott made in the presser, which is what the article is about.

The best that could be said is that Daniels innocently interpreted Scotts comments as meaning that the cats upped the 'player’s training loads in between the Bulldogs and Eagles fixtures' and that they had a 'heavy training block over the break'

But that is being generous, because whilst the interpretation MIGHT be true, Scott did not make EITHER comment.

At worst Daniels is making stuff up to suit an AFL narrative - nothing to see here, loading isn't a thing, every game is a cracker with poor performances being part of the rhythm of a season etc, etc.

It is not Daniels job to interpret meaning, it is his job to report accurately what was ACTUALLY said. 

Did you listen to what Scott said in the post march presser, or read the direct quotes from him in the article?

This is exactly what he said (spoiler alter - there is NO mention of upping the loads between the Bulldogs and Eagles fixtures or a 'heavy training block over the break' - the closest thing he mentions is 'the middle period of the year' - and it more tban a bit a stretchto intetptet thst as meaning a two week period):

“It’s what we do through the middle period of the year, but we’re doubling down even more than we have done in previous years,” he said post match on Saturday. 

“We might cost ourselves a little short term but we’re going to try and set up our program to be at our best when it counts

“If we finish ninth because we try to prime ourselves to be at our best later in the year, then we’ll live with that.

“We haven’t been able to execute that over the last few years anyway. I don’t think that’s a reason to change that philosophy, it’s a reason to do it better.

Edited by binman
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, DeeZone said:

A bit off line but I just watched the Sunday Footy Show to watch our Review Votes, etc. nothing, zero, Zilch. Fortunately we were out to brunch so could fast forward through the replay but very disappointed, not happy Jan.!!!

Spot on, DeeZone

Best win by any team this season ... factoring in that it was 1 vs 2 on the ladder, prime-time FTA and how well we played

To win by over 60 points sends a message about how good our best is.  No other team has done that the same way this season

And all that with the best ruckman in the game being unavailable

Got 2 minutes of airtime on the Sunday footy show.  They could have gone to a little bit more trouble especially as to how we dismantled the Lions

And Bedford for Mitch Brown worked ... the added small seemed to spark up all our smalls. Competition within the ranks?

Does that work in the future?

Looking ahead, Gawn will come back in but for who? In September we might need another tall in the forward line but not if they can't take a grab

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rpfc said:

He was practicing a new lower ball drop before the game. The problem is his field kicking has that high release and it is fine. I think his bigger issue with his set shots is that he doesn’t get into a consistent momentum in the lead up to a kick. My mantra for goal kicking is to never lean back and also drive through with some momentum. The rest of it is up to decades of predisposition and what people are comfortable with.

I wonder if he should just blast them from 3 steps like he does his field kicking. Watching him walk in with his current routine is painful, every step seems to cost him confidence 

He’s also been here before with goal kicking woes and found improvement so it might only take one or two shots to change.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, rpfc said:

It was umpired like a final. Less than 30 frees paid - nothing soft, no afters were paid, aggressive 50/50s were let go.

So glad I spent the money to come down to see that game.

Glad they had such a great win for you mate.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Sorry I’m so late, but damn that was fantastic. Watched it fully expecting to lose. We made the top team look average. All without our captain. Our players really stood up to the challenge. This is by far the best game we played all year. Well done, boys 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, Macca said:

Spot on, DeeZone

Best win by any team this season ... factoring in that it was 1 vs 2 on the ladder, prime-time FTA and how well we played

To win by over 60 points sends a message about how good our best is.  No other team has done that the same way this season

And all that with the best ruckman in the game being unavailable

Got 2 minutes of airtime on the Sunday footy show.  They could have gone to a little bit more trouble especially as to how we dismantled the Lions

And Bedford for Mitch Brown worked ... the added small seemed to spark up all our smalls. Competition within the ranks?

Does that work in the future?

Looking ahead, Gawn will come back in but for who? In September we might need another tall in the forward line but not if they can't take a grab

Freo did a job on us in the second half at the MCG or have we already forgotten that ? 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Freo did a job on us in the second half at the MCG or have we already forgotten that ? 

There's no real comparison ... May went down against Freo which threw our whole defence out.  And we dominated Freo for at least a quarter and a half up until then

Steven May is probably our most valuable player in the sense that he can't be replaced.  Oddly enough I asked my circle of friends that question a couple of weeks before May was concussed and they all answered with May (ahead of Gawn, Oliver & Petracca)

He's the general of the backline apart from his obvious football skills

Brisbane didn't really look like it after breaking even in the first quarter ... we shut them down and then demolished them.  It was compareable to the PF & GF

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Good point. While they weren't 60 point losses our three losses involved turnarounds of 50-60 points. 

Hopefully we are through that patch

We had a form lull and we are/were increasing our training loads (as we did last season when our form dropped away a bit, mid season)

However, there were aspects to how we played (in those 3 games) which can't be attributed to the loading.  We went away from our strong disciplines for a time.  Not only did we look slow & listless, but our skills and kicking to position dropped away as well

Losing May for those 3 games was a big factor of course. Our most valuable player?

Bombing it forward, playing from behind, not using the corridor and a lack of real teamwork were issues that are hopefully, behind us

But nearly every dominant team has a lull at some stage of the season.  Or just the odd bad day.  In over 120 years of footy we've never seen a team of invincibles

I'm still a bit concerned with our forward line DJ but if our defence reigns supreme as it did against the Lions, we'll get plenty of opportunities to score

In my view, the defence is the key and we need a fit & firing Steven May as the general back there

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DeeZone said:

I was going to post the same. Turned it off half way. According to them there was only one game. Jeeeelong V Tigggers.

• Thanks 1

Anyone think that Weid's body language looked good, he seemed 'up' I know he didn't kick a bag, but i swear there was something different about his demeanour, anyone else think he looked in a good head space? I loved that he did team 1st things all game, his decision making was good. 

We win because (of Viney) of our settled defense, it is not a mystery, we had close to our best back six on the deck, and then we play our best game of the year.

As I said in the changes thread, I think a few in the team have the yips (for me it's as bad as COVID), Bedford's happy confidence having a ping at goal I think will help the other smalls, am expecting a stronger return next week as the good vibes rub off. I also love Gawn's kicks from 50 for goal, there is an arrogance that I think stamps authority on the game when he is back well rested, I hope they keep it up.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

Anyone think that Weid's body language looked good, he seemed 'up' I know he didn't kick a bag, but i swear there was something different about his demeanour, anyone else think he looked in a good head space? I loved that he did team 1st things all game, his decision making was good.

He's better suited up into the play in my view but when Gawn comes back there may not be a spot for Weideman

As a key forward he falls short and Fritsch is our 3rd forward so that spot is filled as well

Someone here suggested running 3 in the ruck on rotation but I reckon we'll be using LJ more in the ruck after his game against the Lions.  So Gawn in turn, would have more time forward

And Bedford will stay in you'd imagine.  We need his finishing skills in the forward line

But by the looks of it, Gawn may not be available next Saturday so Sam will get another go at it.  Good luck to him I say ... play well and make it difficult for the selectors

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Macca said:

He's better suited up into the play in my view

All fair, his position is the most vulnerable by far, more curious though about what you thought of his attitude/head space, was this you agreeing by saying he's better suited? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DEE fence said:

All fair, his position is the most vulnerable by far, more curious though about what you thought of his attitude/head space, was this you agreeing by saying he's better suited? 

Yeah ... he wasn't outstanding but looked a lot better as he was in the play by default (2nd ruck)

And he'll get another game next week if Gawn is held back (as seems likely)

As a key forward, Sam hasn't nailed down a spot but elsewhere he looks more at home (without being a standout)

I see him as a depth player being of more value than Mitch Brown, Melksham or Majak

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/24/2022 at 10:20 AM, binman said:

Agree with your points about the things we addressed.

We were able to address them because clearly we were not fatigued in the way we were in the three losses.

You can see that in the way Jackson, Lever and Brown, in particular moved. For one thing Brown could actually jump off the ground.

The other 'tell' was how trac, Sparrow and viney were able to power away from a contest, something all three struggled with in the three losses

But I wasn't fully confident we were fresh until the last 10 minutes of the first quarter when we were first able to blunt the lion's momentum, but more importantly, then lift our rating and start closing the vice and suffocating the lions, as we do when we are at our best. 

On the lions, I have zero doubt they were shagged. The interesting thing is the philosophy as to why.

They are in a very similar position to the cats, in so far as for the last few (3?) years they have finished top 4 but struggled in finals, and in the lions case, have gone out in straight sets.

And perhaps, like the cats they have reached the logical conclusion that they have haddes chance of beating a side as fit and relentless as we were in the finals last year or the tigers were in their premiership years.

Remember, we played the lions week one of last years finals, and they simply could no go with us. The contrast in fitness and ability to run out quarters and the game was stark.  

The lions may have thought, even at our very best, if the dees are at their best, we are only a 40-60 chance of beating them on their home deck.

So, lets keep smashing our players on the track, and be prepared to lose a game that we are a better than even money chance of losing anyway.

And by doing so, let's maximise our chances of being competitive against this same team come September.

I put very little stock in that performance in terms of providing a guide as to how big a threat they are.

Leaving their performance last aside, they are a good team, with an excellent list, but in terms of the contenders, I rate the dockers ahead of them, and perhaps the cats as at least an equal threat.

And the reason is that I don't think their defensive system is up to it. The dees, freo and the cats all have far superior defensive systems, that involve all team defence and brilliant zoning off and intercepts.

The lion's defensive stem is too old school, too one on one to work in 2022.

Partially agree, except l think the Cats are too old, and will be (again!) seriously found out come finals.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DEE fence said:

I actually thought his ruck craft was the best I’ve ever seen, he genuinely looked like he was doing better than breaking even. Now that obviously also looks better when you have a psychopathic Viney smashing through and winning clearances but I thought he battled hard all game and as you said did team first acts. 

I really hope we don’t rush Gawn in; firstly this is a great opportunity for Weid to gain some confidence with a body of work. I also think this is a fantastic time for us to trial some plan B scenarios should the big fella be unavailable at the pointy end. And finally, the poor guy has been carrying such a heavy load of responsibility particularly during our slump, he needs time. 

I was disappointed Weid didn’t get the goals from his chances, but if he works hard and persists with what he did on Thursday the opportunities will come. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dees2014 said:

Partially agree, except l think the Cats are too old, and will be (again!) seriously found out come finals.  

While yes the cats are reliant on quite a few ageing players, I think they’ve brought some good young players in this season that are showing some serious zip. I personally think at their best this season they look more dangerous. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Pates said:

While yes the cats are reliant on quite a few ageing players, I think they’ve brought some good young players in this season that are showing some serious zip. I personally think at their best this season they look more dangerous. 

Especially if they have a bloke running around knocking out the opposition best player, as did they say on SEN under instruction??

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1