Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Petty must play forward ( if fit )

joeboy

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

Ridiculous call. 

It's up to our mids to use the ball with care going inside 50 and it's up to the forwards we have in there to compete much better.

Fritsch & Maxy our only multiple goal scorers the last two weeks.

Bedford the other but not playing.

Averaging 8 goals a match agaisnt top 4 sides without Macca.

Good luck defending that sort of score line for the win against anyone other than Norf & the Eagles.

This team's in  fair degree of pooh right now without Macca and a badly out of form Benny.

Can't see Mitch being a match winner or getting it to ground often enough on his own for the smalls.  Maxy ...well yeh but he's already playing there and kicking multiples but we're still losing.  Jackson badly out of form as well.

Gonna have to try something.  Agree with the Op.  Keep Tomo in (i reckon he stays in this week anyway) and trial Petty forward for a few weeks (assuming he's right to go).  If we don't you can kiss this week goodbye as well me thinks.  Doubt we'll be capable of posting a defendable / winning score against the Pies with the current forward set up.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Sad 1

Our biggest problem all year imo has been a lack of stability in our backline. We need to our premiership backline together and fit. Once Salem Petty Lever May are back playing together each week and are fit /in form we will look like a different team

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Fritsch & Maxy our only multiple goal scorers the last two weeks.

Bedford the other but not playing.

Averaging 8 goals a match agaisnt top 4 sides without Macca.

Good luck defending that sort of score line for the win against anyone other than Norf & the Eagles.

This team's in  fair degree of pooh right now without Macca and a badly out of form Benny.

Can't see Mitch being a match winner or getting it to ground often enough on his own for the smalls.  Maxy ...well yeh but he's already playing there and kicking multiples but we're still losing.  Jackson badly out of form as well.

Gonna have to try something.  Agree with the Op.  Keep Tomo in (i reckon he stays in this week anyway) and trial Petty forward for a few weeks (assuming he's right to go).  If we don't you can kiss this week goodbye as well me thinks.  Doubt we'll be capable of posting a defendable / winning score against the Pies with the current forward set up.

Go back and watch our first 10 weeks, then watch our last 2 weeks and spot the differences. 

Do you actually believe that a majority of our team has suddenly forgotten how to play, run, pressure? 

step back from the disappointment of 2 losses and see the bigger picture! PLEASE! 

we won a flag last year,  with an intensive mid season training load being a key part of that success (despite it resulting in a couple of losses) :- why is it a surprise to people, that we would be doing the same thing again. Especially with a dominant 10-0 start ???! 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Our biggest problem all year imo has been a lack of stability in our backline. We need to our premiership backline together and fit. Once Salem Petty Lever May are back playing together each week and are fit /in form we will look like a different team

100%.  Lever is really the only piece of the puzzle that needs to slot in now.

We'll have that line up from this week.  Just need Jake to get back to somewhere near his 2021 form at some point.

Doubt it will just click against the Pies but who knows.

Still need to put a defendable score on the board though.

7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

And add a fit hibberd to that mix (his experience would be invaluable atm) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Go back and watch our first 10 weeks, then watch our last 2 weeks and spot the differences. 

Do you actually believe that a majority of our team has suddenly forgotten how to play, run, pressure? 

step back from the disappointment of 2 losses and see the bigger picture! PLEASE! 

we won a flag last year,  with an intensive mid season training load being a key part of that success (despite it resulting in a couple of losses) :- why is it a surprise to people, that we would be doing the same thing again. Especially with a dominant 10-0 start ???! 

Not dissapointed to the point of 'chicken little' syndrome 64.  That's just your (incorrect) assumption.

I don't need to watch anything i watched /went and most of those weeks we had Macca up forward.   May out the last two has also hurt us but May doesn't kick goals to give us a defendable score.  But he (and Salem back) will make us harder to score against for sure

Remember that Tomo was the preferred option last season prior to going down.  So with Tomo back we have an option to use Petty forward.

Your view is different and you believe we'll just return to winning form.  I would like to think so to but not with the present KTF line up of the two Browns.  One of them hasn't fired a shot in four weeks.  And while im happy to give Mitch a decent go before making any judgements, he didnt hit the scoreboard once either in first game this season.  He'll need help and at this point, aside from Maxy, all other talls that play forward are badly out of form.

So....Forward line needs a bit of help.  You have said yourself we have the luxury of a 10-0 start to kick in with training loads.  Now 10-2.  If we can throw Macca behind the ball for a while im not sure what the fuss is about throwing a tall defender up forward for a bit who has already been played there on occasions prior.  And in a few of those i thought he showed something even as a wet behind the ears 19yo rookie.  Might handle it alot better now he's matured?

There's no harm in looking for ways to improve as a team.  Goodwin preaches that philosophy all the time.  This may or may not be one of them. Being versatile as a team is also handy and part of that is some players being able to be switched into diff roles (if/when times call for it...even in game if someone goes down) 

Do i expect it will happen.... nup.   Is it worth a short trial run (assuming Tomo stays in).  Why not!

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demon Dynasty said:

Not dissapointed to the point of 'chicken little' syndrome 64.  That's just your (incorrect) assumption.

I don't need to watch anything i watched /went and most of those weeks we had Macca up forward.   May out the last two has also hurt us but May doesn't kick goals to give us a defendable score.  But he (and Salem back) will make us harder to score against for sure

Remember that Tomo was the preferred option last season prior to going down.  So with Tomo back we have an option to use Petty forward.

Your view is different and you believe we'll just return to winning form.  I would like to think so to but not with the present KTF line up of the two Browns.  One of them hasn't fired a shot in four weeks.  And while im happy to give Mitch a decent go before making any judgements, he didnt hit the scoreboard once either in first game this season.  He'll need help and at this point, aside from Maxy, all other talls that play forward are badly out of form.

So....Forward line needs a bit of help.  You have said yourself we have the luxury of a 10-0 start to kick in with training loads.  Now 10-2.  If we can throw Macca behind the ball for a while im not sure what the fuss is about throwing a tall defender up forward for a bit who has already been played there on occasions prior.  And in a few of those i thought he showed something even as a wet behind the ears 19yo rookie.  Might handle it alot better now he's matured?

There's no harm in looking for ways to improve as a team.  Goodwin preaches that philosophy all the time.  This may or may not be one of them. Being versatile as a team is also handy and part of that is some players being able to be switched into diff roles (if/when times call for it...even in game if someons goes down) 

Do i expect it will happen.... nup.   Is it worth a short trial run (assuming Tomo stays in).  Why not!

You know all DD :- I think you should be coach, maybe give goody a call and offer to take over? 

• Facepalm 3

16 minutes ago, Nicko said:

And add a fit hibberd to that mix (his experience would be invaluable atm) 

I think horses for courses here.  He is likely to take Hunt's position if he does come in.   But lets look at the opp when selecting.  For example if/when we play Freo again.... who covers Fredrick?  Cant see Hibbo keeping up in this particular match up.

so I'd be going to Hunt here but he needs to be in tip top form to go with him.  If he goes back to Casey does that hinder or help his him i wonder?  Maybe neither and all's well and he gets the call up for match ups like this for Hibbo.  Probably talking gobbledygook (nothing new!) but no harm discussing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

You know all DD :- I think you should be coach, maybe give goody a call and offer to take over? 

Fair enough 64.  Whatever floats your boat mate.

Get the backline sorted and the rest will flow from that. We have set up our season in the first 10 weeks.

Tmac is a blow for us no doubt but the Cavalry are starting to come back piece by piece. 

We will be cherry ripe in a months time folks, Salem, Harmes and Langdon will be better for the run. 

In Goody, Selwyn and Co we trust.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Get the backline sorted and the rest will flow from that. We have set up our season in the first 10 weeks.

Tmac is a blow for us no doubt but the Cavalry are starting to come back piece by piece. 

We will be cherry ripe in a months time folks, Salem, Harmes and Langdon will be better for the run. 

In Goody, Selwyn and Co we trust.

Absolutely but would be nice if we had a spare pack marking heavy hitting KF to come in for Macca right now. 

Unfortunately they don't grow on trees!

We do have Dogga though.  Is this his moment to step up and try to take on a similar role?  Hasn't had a great couple of weeks through the middle.  Not saying he plays the entire match as a KTF either but maybe say a 80/20 ish role switching with Max on occasions?  As we know he's  done it before in patches including big finals.  Anyone?

• Like 1

Another tangential thought. Why not try LJ as one key forward and BBB as the other? Bring in Majak to help Max in the ruck and to switch with LJ. Daw is an competent ruckman with excellent tapping skills. On his day, he is a very good key forward capable of kicking goals. He is physical and will fight hard, which the Weid cannot do. LJ is lacking confidence, and a change could help.

Having said all that I am now not sure what the game plan is in regard to forward entries. Is it to just bomb the ball into the F50 and have the talls contest and bring the ball to ground or for the talls to create territory so as to have one-on-one contests. LJ is a suitable candidate for both scenarios. 

Would we be any worse off with this setup? Probably not. Could we win a premiership with this setup? Probably not.

Edited by djr
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, joeboy said:

Under the circumstances, and with May returning to solidify the defense, we know what we’ll get from Harrison, and placing him at centre half forward seems the only viable solution at the moment to our underperforming forward line.

Our foward half is definetely frustrating to watch at the moment so I hope the coaching group is looking at something fresh up there.  And Petty did show plenty of promise up there a few years ago. However,  unlike with Salem's absence in the backline being covered quite well, I am not sure we can cover Petty not being in the backline.  May is our absolute key, and with Lever seemingly out of form, Petty imho is now our number two big backman.  And I don't trust Tomlinson.  Maybe it's time for Turner?

Perhaps adding Majak to the lineup will allow LJ or Gawn to play as key forwards?  

Anyway, it's good to see some others here who are brave enough to post ideas about what we can change to try and imrpove.  The resistence to new ideas from many here cracks me up.  The competetion is way to good to stop exploring new ideas of where we can improve.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Cheers for the facepalm Nev, one of your many talents 

I facepalmed that too, although an eye-roll would have been more suited to such an childish offering.

1 hour ago, Vipercrunch said:

I facepalmed that too, although an eye-roll would have been more suited to such an childish offering.

Hero, what is childish, is people on here who were 2 weeks ago saying we are the greatest team ever, suddenly thinking the sky has fallen in. 

If you grasped the bigger picture driver of what is going on you would have far less focus, on individual players who are below their best, out of form etc. 

• Haha 1

I like the suggestion of Petty up forward in T Mac's absence. At least he'll make a contest unlike Weid. He showed a bit as a forward in 2019.

I'm not a fan of Tomlinson, and whilst others were glowing in praise of his Casey performances, I thought he got caught out of position too often. However, with May back in the team marshalling the backs, hopefully Tomlinson will be more disciplined. I wouldn't mind seeing Disco Turner given a shot. I don't think he'd be overawed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I think horses for courses here.  He is likely to take Hunt's position if he does come in.   But lets look at the opp when selecting.  For example if/when we play Freo again.... who covers Fredrick?  Cant see Hibbo keeping up in this particular match up.

so I'd be going to Hunt here but he needs to be in tip top form to go with him.  If he goes back to Casey does that hinder or help his him i wonder?  Maybe neither and all's well and he gets the call up for match ups like this for Hibbo.  Probably talking gobbledygook (nothing new!) but no harm discussing.

Great post….I think hunt’s done an admirable job this year in an essentially new role for him but I think we’ve lost a little drive out of our full back line with him seemingly being solely focussed on a lock down role…..hibberd may give us a bit of both??

Hunt could be a better match up for Ginnivan than what hibberd may be but hibberd could be a better match up for de goey or hoskin Elliot? 

Or maybe I just like the romance of getting our premiership defenders back together again??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mo64 said:

I like the suggestion of Petty up forward in T Mac's absence. At least he'll make a contest unlike Weid. He showed a bit as a forward in 2019.

I'm not a fan of Tomlinson, and whilst others were glowing in praise of his Casey performances, I thought he got caught out of position too often. However, with May back in the team marshalling the backs, hopefully Tomlinson will be more disciplined. I wouldn't mind seeing Disco Turner given a shot. I don't think he'd be overawed.

I think Turner is also pretty close to getting a chance - would he have performed worse than Tomlinson against the Swans - personally I doubt it 

I'm slowly going off the idea of Petty forward purely because the sooner we get a settled back six the better. Bowey has been a bit disappointing but I'm confident he will come good

I'd be very tempted to drop BBB and let Max spend a week in F50 - the big fella does like a goal and a few less kms might be good for him. Ruck duties could be shared between Dogga who really needs to lift and Daw who while not quick does not get pushed off the ball and does get used as the bail out kick down the line at Casey with reasonable success - if they could halve the ruck contests I think we'd be better off overall. Would we lose too much by not having Max around the ground and at centre bounce - that's something the coaching staff have to weigh up  

I’m a big advocate for keeping our defensive six together 

may (miss him when he’s not on the ground)

lever (plays do much better when May’s in the team)

Petty (his importance to our defensive structure  is so important)

salem (will be better next week after his first run since round one)

bowey (will get his poise and drive back when Salem, lever, petty and may are back together again) 

hibberd/hunt (fight it out for the last position in the back six and come in/out of the team depending on match ups)

So….I like petty back rather than forward 

• Like 1

Thinking outside the square - (Binman may have the reasons why this isn't a good idea).

I watched Casey(our 2nds) for the 1st time this year and was amazed by how athletic Majak is (and how good Turner is).

In the tradition of role players (Spargo etc.)-- I was wondering if  its worth trying a diff forward approach - namely playing Majak deep forward as a compliment to our leading forwards and smalls.

The guy wont get moved off the ball (watching our forwards in both 1st and 2nds it was happening frequently) in a mark or ruck contest - he is a great tap ruck (good to keep forward half pressure from a well directed tap), has a good one grab mark, and a  great leap for such a big guy - his job isn't necessarily to kick goals but rather keep one of the oppositions bigger backmen accountable and create opportunities for all our forwards.

As a bail out to the top of the square - or as an isolated mismatch to the top of square he has some handy attributes (mentioned above). He would be handy re blocking for other forwards leads (has the size) - a role TMac does for BBB. He is unlikely to get out marked so ball is coming to ground.

Haven't seen Casey much so others may know better but I just like the idea of a designated forward whose role it is to largely benefit the other forwards both big and small.

Regards

Skieta

• Thanks 1