Jump to content

  • Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

  • Podcast: Mid-Season Review 2022  

Dees as the Yardstick



Recommended Posts


What May did was what Lloyd was talking about with Shiel. There was a lot of nonsense about Lloyd wanting them to go around and hit blokes (ironically he was a massive sniper back in the day). He was just saying that your passion to back up a mate can be focussed and that you should respond. Like the Dees.

Our teams ethos is caring in its brutality. 

  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved the vision.

But not sure it made Lloyd's point. 

He was whining about the criticism from a small handful of people (nowhere near enough IMO) for advocating Sheils run through Parker at the ensuing center bounce (which he actually had the chance to do - but f he did he almost certainly have given away a free as it would have been off the ball).

To support his argument, the first bit of vision was may and Oliver taking the chance to hit Jones hard but fair was used as an example. But that is comparing apples and oranges.

For one thing May and Oliver bided their time and waited for opportunity to smash into Jones fairly x 3 in the flow of the game and in a way that was legal and no report were on the cards. Neither even gave away a free. 

And secondly Jones tunneled Langdon and could have seriously hurt him,  so that was much more serious than some stupid schoolyard teasing by Parker. I mean how could the incidents be compared?

The teasing didn't seem to bother Shiels, he laughed if off.

But it certainly did bother all these alpha ex footy meat heads who were incensed by some gestures questioning Shiels courage? No way they would have allowed an opposition player disrespect them back in the day.

And it is important to note that parker WAS TRYING to provoke a reaction and mess with Shiel's. Parker would have loved more than to receive a free in the center of the ground becuase he got in Shiels head. 

The rest of the vison was making a different point -  the bombers are not playing with enough intensity (not even close) and the dees are the benchmark for intensity and legal ferocity.

Hard to argue this, but at best it is tangential to his push back on the criticism he mentioned he had received.

 

 

  • Like 4
  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rpfc said:

What May did was what Lloyd was talking about with Shiel. There was a lot of nonsense about Lloyd wanting them to go around and hit blokes (ironically he was a massive sniper back in the day). He was just saying that your passion to back up a mate can be focussed and that you should respond. Like the Dees.

Our teams ethos is caring in its brutality. 

No he didn't. If that is what he said at the time then i'd have no isse with his comments

He stood in front of big TV screen, showed the Parker gestures and then showed the very next bounce, some 15 seconds later. He pointed to the screen (perhaps even slowed down the vison) and showed viewers where and how Shiels should have taken the chance to run through (my words) Parker.

He described it as a line in the sand moment. Please

Which would have almost certainly resulted in a free and possible report becuase it would have involved Shiels running past the ball to run into parker.

Lloyd is trying to rewrite history

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with Lloyd. He watched his old Club play “Bruise Free” Football, and he didn’t like it. I didn’t like it when the MFC played that style of game either. 
That was the beginning of our darkest days. 
Essendrug are in for years of pain and ridicule if they don’t respond very quickly. 
will they? Personally i hope they rot, but I fully understand what The Velvet Sledgehammer is saying 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When you've gone from deadset certain premiers to  cellar dwelling directionless rabble in 9 rounds, it probably is time for a line in the sand moment.

4 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Personally i hope they rot, but I fully understand what The Velvet Sledgehammer is saying 

This!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

When you've gone from deadset certain premiers to  cellar dwelling directionless rabble in 9 rounds, it probably is time for a line in the sand moment.

If I was a bomber fan, I'd prefer my line in the sand was all team intensity for 4 weeks in a row and some wins.

Not 1990s faux tough guy, cheap shot stylee 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, binman said:

No he didn't. If that is what he said at the time then i'd have no isse with his comments

He stood in front of big TV screen, showed the Parker gestures and then showed the very next bounce, some 15 seconds later. He pointed to the screen (perhaps even slowed down the vison) and showed viewers where and how Shiels should have taken the chance to run through (my words) Parker.

He described it as a line in the sand moment. Please

Which would have almost certainly resulted in a free and possible report becuase it would have involved Shiels running past the ball to run into parker.

Lloyd is trying to rewrite history

He’s not the most eloquent at the best of times - he very quickly referenced Melbourne and it’s ruthlessness in his first diatribe on this on SFS.

We have been where Essendon is and I don’t have a problem with what Lloyd said, or what he meant.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, binman said:

If I was a bomber fan, I'd prefer my line in the sand was all team intensity for 4 weeks in a row and some wins.

Not 1990s faux tough guy, cheap shot stylee 

If I was a Bombers fan, I would want my team to emulate the awesome Melbourne team and play hard physical, but fair, football for 120 mins at a stretch. Win or lose. Set a benchmark.

A cheap shot would most likely serve as a distraction than a spur. But when you're desperate, maybe anything will serve.

Either way they can't continue on as they have been. Although it wouldn't bother me for a second if they do. In fact (brace yourselves for controversy) I would rather they did.

But, they've missed the moment. They've given the message to the football world that Shiel is soft (he might or might not be), that the Ess team as a whole are soft and indifferent, and that they play bruise free football. It's a crisis of their own making.

They've gotten ahead of themselves, gotten too fancy, and now their players apart from Wright have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. They need Tippa back more than they can imagine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

But, they've missed the moment. They've given the message to the football world that Shiel is soft (he might or might not be), that the Ess team as a whole are soft and indifferent, and that they play bruise free football. It's a crisis of their own making.

They've gotten ahead of themselves, gotten too fancy, and now their players apart from Wright have no idea what they're supposed to be doing. They need Tippa back more than they can imagine.

And Hird, because he will have a way of injecting some spine in them.

Edited by dworship
  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Essenscum have a couple of major problems (at least).

  1. Like a few other clubs, (WCE, Norf and GWS come to mind) they are paying the wrong players big money.
  2. Absolutely no on field leadership whatsoever. Their last outstanding captain retired 17 years ago.
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know it’s not the intent of this thread but I wasn’t a big fan of Parker’s antics for a couple of reasons.

1. If we are serious about bullying then this behaviour qualifies. Many will say it’s part of the game and game of men etc etc. But I always come back to thinking about the kids that see this and how that behaviour can be used against more vulnerable children at school or on the footy field. I’m sure Dylan can handle the heat but after watching u10s was shocked as to how much the kids mimic afl players from umpire abuse, diving, etc.

2. it’s disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour that has no place on the footy field. I’m sure Horse has told Parker off that this isn’t what footy is about and you must respect your opponent no matter the circumstances.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Queanbeyan Demon said:

Essenscum have a couple of major problems (at least).

  1. Like a few other clubs, (WCE, Norf and GWS come to mind) they are paying the wrong players big money.
  2. Absolutely no on field leadership whatsoever. Their last outstanding captain retired 17 years ago.

They haven’t reconciled themselves with the drug scandal. Their truth is one of persecution and unfair critique. They only cared about recovering not fixing their broken culture.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, binman said:

If I was a bomber fan, I'd prefer my line in the sand was all team intensity for 4 weeks in a row and some wins.

Not 1990s faux tough guy, cheap shot stylee 

Don’t think Lloyd was saying that at all. He just wanted them to be more like us

Edited by FarNorthernD
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, binman said:

No he didn't. If that is what he said at the time then i'd have no isse with his comments

He stood in front of big TV screen, showed the Parker gestures and then showed the very next bounce, some 15 seconds later. He pointed to the screen (perhaps even slowed down the vison) and showed viewers where and how Shiels should have taken the chance to run through (my words) Parker.

He described it as a line in the sand moment. Please

Which would have almost certainly resulted in a free and possible report becuase it would have involved Shiels running past the ball to run into parker.

Lloyd is trying to rewrite history

This line in the sand moment will certainly contaminate the contraband. Sand up sinuses will inevitably result.

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a massive smile on my face watching that video snippet about the Demons. 😁

It really is incredible how the culture and the attitude of the Demons players has changed.

You have to take your hat off to Simon Goodwin, the coaching staff and the entire team.

What an enormous turnaround from the dark days when we would be regularly belted by 100+ points in a game only a few years ago.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CYB said:

I know it’s not the intent of this thread but I wasn’t a big fan of Parker’s antics for a couple of reasons.

1. If we are serious about bullying then this behaviour qualifies. Many will say it’s part of the game and game of men etc etc. But I always come back to thinking about the kids that see this and how that behaviour can be used against more vulnerable children at school or on the footy field. I’m sure Dylan can handle the heat but after watching u10s was shocked as to how much the kids mimic afl players from umpire abuse, diving, etc.

2. it’s disrespectful and unprofessional behaviour that has no place on the footy field. I’m sure Horse has told Parker off that this isn’t what footy is about and you must respect your opponent no matter the circumstances.

I reckon this is a long bow. Bit of harmless theatre imv.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    JUNGLE KINGS by George On The Outer

    The top of the table Brisbane Lions came into their game against Melbourne thinking they were kings of the AFL Jungle. However, by game’s end they were shown to be toothless, as the rampant Demons gave them a lesson about the exact level you have to be at to justify that mantle.  The first quarter saw Brisbane squander some easy chances in front of goal, which kept Melbourne within striking distance and, as a result, the Lions led by a mere goal. Of course, it could have been so much d

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A STEP FORWARD? by The Oracle

    The winds of change have blown through the Melbourne Football Club over the past month or so as the team previously known for applying relentless pressure on opponents dramatically fell from its pedestal to a low not seen for some three years. This is a team that had the luxury of going through last season with one of the healthiest lists in the competition. And that health was not only reflected in a weekly injury list that revealed very few key players missing, but importantly, even fewer

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    HUMBLE PIE by George on the Outer

    Seventeen wins in a row followed by a trio of losses.  The invincible Demon juggernaut was simply humbled by the Pies in that third loss, as once again they gave up an early three goal plus lead, to be over-run in the end. Is it loading? Perhaps. Is it the loss of players? Perhaps More likely, they are a combination of the two. Certainly, we have seen the side take an early lead in all of these games only to fade as reflected on the scoreboard where Melbourne has been outscored

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EARLY FREEZE by KC from Casey

    If the publicity ahead of Queens Birthday Monday was all about the Big Freeze and the game to follow the pre-game entertainment then the hardy group that braved the country’s cold snap to travel out to the windy plains beyond Cranbourne were given an early taste of what was to come in the Casey's big 52-point win over Collingwood VFL. The day started well with the Demons comprehensively beating the VFLW Magpies in the curtain-raiser elimination final and then their male counterparts donned

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE CURSE by Norm Smith’s Ghost

    Melbourne’s fortunes took a dramatic turn for the worst on the day the Anthony Albanese was elected as Prime Minister. Since that fateful day, Steven May pinged his hamstring early in the match against the Dockers, Harry Petty came off the ground in consecutive games feeling the worse for wear, it was revealed that Tom McDonald’s foot was in messy shape, the Herald Sun exclusively reported that two years ago, Demon committee members exchanged emails critical of the team after it lost a game by 5

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BANGED UP by George On The Outer

    Melbourne v Sydney. City v City. Two top eight sides fighting for finals spots.  Sydney having beaten the Demons in ten of their last twelve encounters.    In what would turn out to be one of the most hotly contested games for the club in 2022, the physical damage to players was probably the deciding factor in the end.   Once again, Melbourne lost Tom McDonald pre-game to a yet unspecified foot injury.  More importantly was how much his work up the ground and bullocking influ

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TEN by KC from Casey

    The slippery surface of the MCG was a minor detail for the Casey Demons as they waltzed away from the Sydney Swans to record their tenth win on end in their Saturday afternoon curtain raiser. The Demons conceded the first goal of the game before recording the next three (two to Sam Weideman) to hold a 16 point lead at the first break before the Swans pegged that back to a mere three points at half time. Casey dominated the third term with four goals to nil and thereafter the Swans’ resistan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE COMEBACK by Whispering Jack

    How will Melbourne react to losing a game after such a long time since tasting defeat? That question is on everybody’s lips after the complete collapse of the team in the second half against Fremantle last week. When Bayley Fritsch missed his shot at goal 23 minutes into the second term, the Demons were 30 points ahead but from that point onward they were comprehensively overwhelmed as their structures fell apart all over the park. Unlike what occurred on a number of occasions during their

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    SURVIVAL MODE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons managed to survive a day of challenges that in many ways mirrored their AFL counterpart Narrm from the previous day but Casey emerged undefeated from their Round 10 encounter with Frankston at Skybus Stadium. Like the Demon seniors they were undermanned and lost players due to late withdrawals, went through an arm wrestle in the first quarters, took over the game in the second to set up a big lead before a late goal gave hope to their opponent and limped through a last half

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    DEES-MANTLED by George On The Outer

    Well the streak has finally ended, but in the worst possible way, when Fremantle absolutely dismantled Melbourne to record an emphatic 38 point win. This ended the 17 game winning streak of the Demons, but worse to report was that Melbourne led the game by nearly 5 goals in the second quarter, before the Dockers banged through 10 straight goals. In fact they kicked 13 goals to 1 from that point just before half time. So what happened?  Melbourne aren’t accustomed

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    DISMANTLE by The Oracle

    The Flagmantle dynasty has been in train for less than half a season but on Saturday evening at the MCG its hopes are set to be derailed when it meets the team from Narrm. If you’re still living back in the days before the start of the 2022 AFL season then my opening comment probably makes very little sense. This is because very few people had heard of Narrm at the time and most folk could not then have anticipated the AFL’s early season rise of the Fremantle Dockers whose fans went into r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CALM OF NARRM by George On The Outer

    In a fitting opening to the Doug Nicholls Round, the haunting voice of Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu spread calm around a near empty, misty Docklands stadium. Meanwhile, the Narrm players, quietly warming up pre-game, seemed to take on the same calmness for their upcoming task against North Melbourne.   Sure, this was the top of the ladder premiership side playing the lowly cellar dweller, but this Demons side is now one who just quietly go about their job, and slowly ever so slowly and ca

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...