Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 09 vs West Coast

Demonland

39 minutes ago, one_demon said:

We're the reigning premier and the only unbeaten side in the competition?  Are people really dissatisfied?

I guess I just realise how hard our fixture is coming up:

Brisbane Twice, Fremantle Twice, Geelong in Geelong, Sydney,  Carlton , Bulldogs. 

We need to start showing our offensive side because we're not playing well enough at the moment. So many errors by foot and dumb decisions going forward. 

Edited by Deedubs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Anyone else reckon Jake Lever is horribly out of form? He misread the high balls, constantly out bodied, drops marks and his kicking is poor. What’s happened? Seems to be ever since he had the Rona. 

Yep. Had a horrific turnover in the first minute of the match too.

22 minutes ago, Deedubs said:

Re Lever:

Yep, first minute poor. Then rest of game masterful.  Gee, we are hard on players. Appreciate this team, I've not seen better.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

How good has BBB's ground level work been lately? Few games in a row he's kicked goals on the move, roving off or around a pack. I wonder if it's that his fitness levels have allowed him to execute skills he's always had, or whether he's been doing specific work on it. Prob both. Anyway, it's noticeable and I bloody love it.

• Like 12

I cheer heartily for the increasing-involvement of non-male people across all levels of the AFL, but listening to Kelli Underwood today, I had the terrible realisation that she will only become more unbearable as her confidence grows. 

God I wish we could adopt the Premier League approach of having only one announcer in the commentary box. They just call the play, relay useful information, and if there’s a lull in proceedings they just…don’t say anything. It’s great.

The current AFL commentary-model is just wall-to-wall blah, with what feels like twelve different people trying to out-do each other with boring stats, pointless observations, unsolicited opinions and tedious puns. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, CYB said:

Not sure it has been mentioned but McGoverns elbow into Vineys throat got nothing on the telecast. 
When Viney performed a similar action, it was a kangaroo court and he got rubbed out for 2.

Will we even see a fine? Probably nothing. 

I agree. McGovern should be rubbed out for two weeks at least. That was a mongrel act. Unfortunately - and you can't blame him - Jack - had to defend himself with a couple of well-aimed punches. No doubt the MRO will see those and not the McGovern act.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mel Bourne said:

I cheer heartily for the increasing-involvement of non-male people across all levels of the AFL, but listening to Kelli Underwood today, I had the terrible realisation that she will only become more unbearable as her confidence grows. 

God I wish we could adopt the Premier League approach of having only one announcer in the commentary box. They just call the play, relay useful information, and if there’s a lull in proceedings they just…don’t say anything. It’s great.

The current AFL commentary-model is just wall-to-wall blah, with what feels like twelve different people trying to out-do each other with boring stats, pointless observations, unsolicited opinions and tedious puns. 

Fair dinkum chaps. Why don't you try calling a game at home and then measuring yourself against Kelli Underwood's performance. What intrigued me was the question of where she was calling the game from. She presented Offsiders on the ABC in the morning  - including a live cross to Ange Postecoglou in Scotland -  and five hours later she's calling the game. So, if she was calling the game off the TV in Melbourne, where was Matthew Pavlich during the game?  Just curious.

I decided midway through the first quarter to do something productive instead, so I did our household cooking with the game on in the background. Maybe next week for the Roos game, I can pay the bills and file some paperwork. Can't wait for the games after that!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GOLORDIE said:

Fair dinkum chaps. Why don't you try calling a game at home and then measuring yourself against Kelli Underwood's performance. What intrigued me was the question of where she was calling the game from. She presented Offsiders on the ABC in the morning  - including a live cross to Ange Postecoglou in Scotland -  and five hours later she's calling the game. So, if she was calling the game off the TV in Melbourne, where was Matthew Pavlich during the game?  Just curious.

I always thought they were better when they traveled to call the game. 

I wonder if Paramount will bring anything into the sport when it comes to broadcasting - our calling of the game has always been for those with viewing impairment “Smith has it on the wing and kicks long” and has descended to boys club nonsense “Hodgey got you Bristle! Let’s share two year old in jokes with Richo here!” or Fox harping like Underwood with Jackson or when Dwayne opens his mouth at all.

We are getter better at the ‘around the game hosting’ - Brayshaw is good at that, Lyon and Riewoldt provide that, Kath Loughnan has been excellent and doesn’t let things descend into mates talking to each other. Maybe commentating is next.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, deejammin' said:

I turned the commentary off at quarter time. Gives a much more balanced perspective, bizarrely so much of the AFL media are trying to construct negative views of us rather than acknowledge how remarkable what we are doing is. We are the first reigning premiership  team in the modern AFL era (1990-, and probably well before but I can’t be arsed going back any further) to go 9-0, that’s incredible!! We’re 5 games + 40 points of percentage inside the top 8, 3 + 35 inside the top four and 2 + 20 inside the top 2. That’s all that matters, we’ll need to play better to win finals, fine, that’s ages away and by then we’ll have Salem back, and a host of VFL players pushing harder than ever for selection. Bring on the haters, we are the best!!

Gotta say I really enjoyed Johnathan Brown and Nathan Buckley absolutely gushing over how good we are during the game against the Saints.

There are some singing our praises and then others like Underwood who just try to create a story or controversy where there is non.

Buckley was asked on a post game panel the other week. "What would be the first thing you'd do if you were coaching and prepping to play the Dees next week?"

His answer, Pray!

I thought it was gold

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Deedubs said:

Brisbane Twice, Fremantle Twice, Geelong in Geelong, Sydney,  Carlton , Bulldogs. 

We are the undefeated reigning premiers. Anyone. Anywhere. Bring it on.
also got Kangas. Pies twice. Power. & Crows in Adelaide. 

• Like 3

I’m not saying this was a danger game but last year around the same time we lost to a plucky Adelaide team that was getting smashed by all comers. I only saw the 2nd and 3rd quarter, and bits of the last, I saw the eagles physically have a dip but our class shine through. I saw us miss very getable shots and opportunities, I also saw the blazing away that Lewis spoke of. 

We won by 74 points against a team that just under 4 years ago embarrassed us on the Preliminary Finals stage. 

I’m happy to move on from this and work on two parts of our game that most weeks have been a bit of an issue: kicking for goal and forward/midfield connection. 

Edited by Pates

There is absolutely no doubt that when we play quality opposition we play a lot better. 
I am happy to play in third gear for half a game and win by 74 points. Just banking wins and percentage for when the losses do come and we ramp up our training loads too. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CYB said:

Not sure it has been mentioned but McGoverns elbow into Vineys throat got nothing on the telecast. 
When Viney performed a similar action, it was a kangaroo court and he got rubbed out for 2.

Will we even see a fine? Probably nothing. 

Viney’s continued for far too long.

8 hours ago, hemingway said:

Can’t believe the criticism and negatives. Really disappoints me. Unbelievable. Premiers, top of the ladder and undefeated but posters are not happy. I have waited a lifetime yet there are folks who are not happy. Go away. 

Got it one Ernest. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Viney’s continued for far too long.

Speaking of Viney what a game yesterday. Unlike a number of his mates his was a four quarter effort. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Deedubs said:

Of your 94 posts have you ever said anything positive. I would hate to think what you would have written 10 years ago. Then again you might have enjoyed that time more than now. Our game plan does not rely on perfection, its all about defense and strangulation of the opposition. We react to what the opposition bring to the table every week. WC were very physical and very defensive. They showed a lot of heart in those middle quarters. Your views are very old school. Relax and enjoy the ride.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

9 hours ago, Deedubs said:

We need to start showing our offensive side because we're not playing well enough at the moment. So many errors by foot and dumb decisions going forward. 

What exactly do you mean by "start showing our offensive side"?

Do you mean score more? Did you know we are in the top 4 for points scored this year? Ahead of the media's favourite scoring machine, Carlton? Ahead even of Geelong and their power forwards?

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

like playing a video game sometimes

Such an accurate comment: re the expectations of supporters

*Sigh*... each and every week, there will be elements of the game that are not executed perfectly.

Each and every week the FD and athletes are refining processes... as well as.... updated processes relevant to the opposition.

Our game is based on defence first, and as a consequence not exposing ourselves if we turn it over.

Some wag on here suggested we are not being offensive enough... for me at least, perhaps that needs to be refined as a metric beyond measuring how many goals you kick compared to the opposition.

We ostensibly tripled their scoring shots. That's fantastic. That's elite.

Only the Western Bulldogs vs Collingwood matched us with that.  Not Brisbane, and certainly not Freo.

That's a theme that has played out throughout the first 9 rounds. We've done it a few times.

Brisbane did have one week of 41 scoring shots vs the 12 to the Kangaroos.

1215033425_ScreenShot2022-05-16at09_12_54.thumb.png.30a7dd279a9bc8976d8196abfb47d607.png

2 hours ago, Brownie said:

Gotta say I really enjoyed Johnathan Brown and Nathan Buckley absolutely gushing over how good we are during the game against the Saints.

There are some singing our praises and then others like Underwood who just try to create a story or controversy where there is non.

Buckley was asked on a post game panel the other week. "What would be the first thing you'd do if you were coaching and prepping to play the Dees next week?"

His answer, Pray!

I thought it was gold

It’s the luck of the draw isn’t it? My frustration is when they’re trying to make a game fit their narrative rather than calling it as they see it. Brown, Buckley and many others tend to just call the game on its merits whereas Underwood, BT and co and many on AFL.com are determined to have it fit into a pre-constructed narrative “Melbourne’s new weakness”, “which players will they lose?”, “they are showing signs of slowing down” “they can’t score high enough” rather than actually calling what’s happening. That’s when I turn it off. Ultimately though it’s just a small annoyance, we’re the undefeated reigning premiers heading into round 10, never thought I’d see the day. 

• Like 3