Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs St Kilda

Demonland

I think St Kilda the worse side we’ve played this year. 3-4 goals of theirs inflated the score line. They controlled 30-35% of the game, maybe even more, but couldn’t score - which is actually to be expected. Most their score came from dubious decisions. Bring on next week, I think we played well today but probably running about 70% still 

I've got the latent Herpes inside me   (see previous posts to make sense).... but in today's match I seriously felt - as per all the others this season- we seriously toy, if not, put the cue in the rack, against teams in the latter half of the match,

9. St Kilda's second half against Melbourne was the real deal

Despite losing by 38 points, the Saints should be heartened by their effort against the reigning premiers. After trailing by nine goals to one, the Saints restricted the Dees to just five more goals for the game, while adding seven of their own. Against Melbourne’s much-vaunted midfield, St Kilda had more hitouts (31-25), clearances (30-29) and stoppage clearances (19-14). Melbourne was able to kick eight goals from stoppage, whereas St Kilda managed just two. And, the Saints will rue their efficiency inside 50, which was 36.4 percent, down on their season average of 50.7.

This is from the AFL website...I had a big big chuckle.... Now I am not up in arms about how they choose to massage narratives for a larger agenda, but jeez, we're [censored] toying with teams.

Personally I think it's to do with management of load, even within matches, rather than us not putting the foot on the throat, or not being ruthless...or whatever superficial cliche you can throw at us , when we want our team to overtly dominate our direct competitors in the top 4/8

Edited by Engorged Onion
  • Like 8
  • Haha 1

Only seen the stats sheet that James Harmes kicked two goals today and was listed amoung the best players again.

Continues his trend of solid, consistent good form this season.

Really glad this bloke has been able to lift himself back to playing his best footy again and cement himself a position in the team at the moment, when he looked to be a bit on the margins a few years ago.

Melbourne supporter who has had to battle  work really hard to get where he is.  Well done Harmsy, champion Demon through and through.

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Couple of mentions, Bowie congrats on the record and a really big boost to Jordan and Sparrow for just a tough, never take a short step approach and great support for a centre line that goes those extra yards. They have cemented their spots.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Only seen the stats sheet that James Harmes kicked two goals today and was listed amoung the best players again.

Really glad this bloke has been able to lift himself back to playing his best footy again and cement himself a position in the team at the moment, when he looked to be a bit on the margins a few years ago.

Melbourne supporter who has had to battle  work really hard to get where he is.  Well done Harmsy, champion Demon through and through.

First picked every week!

Okay, mebbe the 5th or 6th...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Love his work. Was at the Betty Cuthbert Bar (as I often am) last year and saw him and thought I'd walk up and extend my arm and say onya Harmesy! Without hesitation he looked me straight in the eyes, extended his arm and shook my hand saying "thanks". Loved it. Top bloke! 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

The only disappointment for today was the $20 donation for this miss. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Surety I thought. 

0D44AA6B-421A-4235-8DD8-3033E026DA5C.jpeg

2 hours ago, picket fence said:

Jones should get weeks for that reckless elbow on Oliver, as it was high, Intentional and had the possibility of causing serious damage eg Crushed Larynx, The dump on Langdon just as bad.

Jones hit Oliver in the chest and so it wasnt high, but of medium impact and i will say that the force of the blow surprised Oliver.

The dump on Langdon was dangerous though in Jones defence it happened in a split second.  Funny enough though most players seem able to avoid doing that.

The response of the umpire and Langdons team mates was professionally appropriate.

Being the younger brother of club legend N Jones, it was a very poor act that dishonoured the family name.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

Side note: what was with the music being played after a goal? I hate it. So American and commercial. Have not heard it before today. Was it a Sunday game thing? Scrap it, and soon

heard it yesterday with charlie cameron (take me home country road).... mmmm dubious.

few thoughts. 

1. I'm not at all surprised by this result, i've watched the Saints closely the last couple of years and they're strong when the game is played on their terms. they have a good plan A but aren't good when the game is an arm wrestle. they'll play finals but can't see much damage being done. 

2. Brayshaw and Bowey are so solid down back, Salems return will be very interesting, personally i think Bowey has the skills to play as a half forward, and his ball use inside 50 along with Spargo could be great for us. Salem and Brayshaw would be a great half back combo. 

3.  it felt like we expected the Saints to really challenge us, so we really set ourselves, went bang, sat them on their bottoms and then went back into cruise control for the rest of the game. 

• Like 6

The Tmac v Weid debate was put to bed today. Tmac is a stronger presence crashes packs, sets up goals and great finishing our best forward line  has Brown and Tmac as the pillars with Fritsch the third tall and Anb, Charlie and kozzie 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Spargo’s effort for double tackles in the last probably sums it up - we are all in 

will watch the full replay soon .

Go dees 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I just watched the replay and aside from the fact we are a very good side I love seeing Jack Viney play footy these days. He’s very comfortable with his role, and he seems genuinely happy and relaxed on field. It’s so great to see after what he’s been through. 

• Like 15
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, Dwight Schrute said:

few thoughts. 

1. I'm not at all surprised by this result, i've watched the Saints closely the last couple of years and they're strong when the game is played on their terms. they have a good plan A but aren't good when the game is an arm wrestle. they'll play finals but can't see much damage being done. 

2. Brayshaw and Bowey are so solid down back, Salems return will be very interesting, personally i think Bowey has the skills to play as a half forward, and his ball use inside 50 along with Spargo could be great for us. Salem and Brayshaw would be a great half back combo. 

3.  it felt like we expected the Saints to really challenge us, so we really set ourselves, went bang, sat them on their bottoms and then went back into cruise control for the rest of the game. 

Three direct passes to the opposition by Bowie today. Haven't seen this fun fact mentioned anywhere thus far.

Well that was a fun game to watch. So much to like and once we flexed our muscles in the 2nd quarter we just never looked like losing. 

Some individuals performance. 

McDonald: Congratulations on your 200th Tmac.. you've gone through the absolute pits of hell to now a premiership player. Today he played a fantastic game and stamped himself into the team for the next month at least.

Hunt: Time to start recognising this bloke on what a wonderful negating player he is. Completely shut down Shai Bolton few weeks back and then destroyed Jack Higgins today who's been in rare form. Important cog to our backline.

Sparrow: An absolute brute who has genuine power to accelerate from stoppages but also tackle with such intent. All the hype is Petracca, Oliver and Gawn as the 3 that opposition will put time into but soon enough opposition clubs will be paying extra attention to Sparrow. Loving his development. 

Pickett: Little master. His left foot snap deep in the pocket was elite.

May and Petty: Stopped everything that came their way. Petty particular gave away some questionable free kicks but he's seriously becoming a serious defender of the competition.  His intercept marking and poise with the ball is impressive. Just needs good continuity now.

Langdon: 2022 All Australian wingman. Enough said.

Glad we smoked St Kilda. Cannot stand them one bit and I put them right next to the Western Bulldogs as little irrelevant clubs that are all huff and puff but are mentally soft when the heat gets turned up. Always trying to talk up a big game but they just fail year after year.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

After the first quarter they never got within three goals, we cruised it for most of and broke their backs in the second quarter (bit unusual for us of late). They were a sniff in the third quarter and perhaps that’s the only slight downer is that our usual best quarter was actually our flattest. I think it was Membry who had a shot from outside 50 on a slight angle to bring it back to under 3 goals and felt that was their chance, he kicks that and game on. But he missed and we never really looked all that uncomfortable afterwards. 

Brayshaw was absolutely incredible. His game has gone to another level, I don’t think the umpires will agree but personally I think he’s having a better season than 2018 when he finishes third in the Brownlow. 

Likewise Langdon was awesome and given total freedom as opposed to last week. 

I thought our entire defensive unit were on their game today, no easy avenues to goal. 

For me our biggest issue is still forward connection with the midfield. It was better today and in the 2nd quarter so much of what we did turned to gold but all too often today the forward 50 seemed congested and our forwards weren’t able to get clear runs at marks. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bates Mate said:

The Tmac v Weid debate was put to bed today. Tmac is a stronger presence crashes packs, sets up goals and great finishing our best forward line  has Brown and Tmac as the pillars with Fritsch the third tall and Anb, Charlie and kozzie 

Not for me. they both go missing sometimes and that is natural and depends on a lot of different thing. They both kick goals on different days. Macca had to play his 200 in the ones and was suitably rewarded., and deserved it. Why wont weid replace Macca in a couple of weeks if needed?  Not over by a long stretch.

• Like 1

It's not just that I've never heard commentators talk about our team this way before.

I've never heard the likes of Buckley and Brown talk about any team with the superlatives they are using to describe us now.

Such a surreal feeling to sit back and relax watching us play. The only time I get wound up now is when the likes of Clarry, Brayshaw, Langdon or Pickett get near the ball.

Just surreal. It's a dream come true to follow a team this good.

Go Narrm!

• Like 3
  • Love 3

39 minutes ago, CityDee said:

Spargo’s effort for double tackles in the last probably sums it up - we are all in 

will watch the full replay soon .

Go dees 

Spargo was brilliant a few times today with repeat efforts and tackling to lock the ball in when outnumbered.

I thought Sparrows pressure was enormous too especially early. Never dies wondering, Sparrow.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Thehardtackler said:

Was in the MCC. Had 6 feral Saints supporters insulting us the whole second half. Called our players ‘flops’. Said we were ‘weak’ and that they had ‘found us out’ and they would ‘beat us next time’. I have to admit that I got drawn in and called them ‘sore losers’. I am so glad we won.

I would have suggested they Kiss My A**e