Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Demonland

4 minutes ago, DeeSpencer said:

JJ

I’d be very surprised if JJ was dropped, he’s barely put a foot wrong as stand in def winger. 

Really like Rivers but he would be my pick right now. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Gee I think if people go back a bit when Petty first came in people were saying the same thing.

And he played the first 6 games of 2021 in the twos working on his game and then took his chance when Tomlinson (who was in career best form and had cemented his place in the side) went down with his ACL.
Joel is a handy player with many great attributes, but right now he gives away more easy goals and makes more suspect decisions than our best 3 KPD. It’s nothing personal, it’s not whipping boy stuff, but the mistakes he made this weekend made it easy to replace him with Lever, if he wanted to put genuine pressure on Petty/Lever/May/Rivers/Hunt then he needed not to Handball the ball straight to the opposition full forward 30 metres out for no apparent reason…

• Like 2

9 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

So it seems Weid goes through to the Hawks game.

I didnt think he did heaps but he was the leading goal scorer and by far our most accurate.

Maybe his confidence will increase as a result and he continues to improve.

Hope so. I sat on level 4 and watched him the while game. He didn't lead up hard and demand the ball enough, not much presence. Got in the way multiple times. Glad he kicked his set shot but he didn't really convince me last night. Same as the Essendon game and even the geelong final in 2018. He doesn't ever dominate or have a presence , just happens to get on the end of a few. I think van Rooyen will pass him quickly

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Dunstan was concussed so will probably miss regardless. I didn’t mind his performance and he’s a very good hand baller in tight. A good insider player.

They won’t drop him but ANB has played more average/poor games than good ones. How many times has he been done for holding the ball this year?

Selection is easy this week:

In - Lever, Viney

out - Dunstan, Smith

Goodwin in his presser mentioned Smith stepped up last night but I thought he was a bit of a liability and that handpass straight to Lynch was cringeworthy.

For his first up game (for us) and playing against a decent opponent on a big stage, i reckon Dunstan went very well.

His composure in congestion and vision / poise to see those on the outside and hit them up, more so in the second half, seemed to be at the level.  The ability to quickly change  lanes to flip the ball around to a player in a better spot outside is a handy asset to have.

If not for the potential concussion i reckon the MC would have a fairly tough call on its hands this week between him and JJ.  JJ however has a few more credits at this stage, no doubt playing a fairly diff role and would likely still have gotten the nod playing quite well himself.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 3

Some bizarre discussions around selections going on here.

We've proven time and time again over the past 18 months that we simply do NOT make big wholesome changes if we win or lose. 

Lever and Viney will be in. Dunstan (really stiff) and Smith out.

There will be none of this crap of James Jordon, ANB or even Tom Sparrow of being dropped.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, FritschyBusiness said:

It was between Dunstan and Milkshake to come in for Viney so he wasn't far off. 

Is that so?  Speculation?

3 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Gee I think if people go back a bit when Petty first came in people were saying the same thing.

After Petty’s (premature) debut I think he spent a couple of seasons at VFL and has come back as a really good and reliable player.  
Smith on the other hand has been in and out for several years, both due to injury but also underperformance. 

6 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Serious question.

If Salem were fit this week, would he take Hunt's spot, or Rivers'?

Fit and match fit?  Probably for Rivers at this stage though Gus to wing could leave JJ  very unlucky again. But if he were miraculously available next round a week at Casey to find touch wouldn’t be out of the question.  

• Facepalm 1

I reckon Smith stays in. He was in the team with May Lever Petty in the final against the Lions. Got injured and was replaced by Hibberd. Smith is not a depth player, he plays most of the time when fit  

he is so versatile that you can have him in with 3 talls. His spoiling and 1:1 defending has become very good. Great in the air with an amazing reach. 

lever in for Hunt/Rivers. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

44 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

We've proven time and time again over the past 18 months that we simply do NOT make big wholesome changes if we win or lose. 

There will be none of this crap of James Jordon, ANB or even Tom Sparrow of being dropped.

I agree 100%. and in fact I think that is what WILL happen.

But I would like to know when Lever and Viney's H&S protocol period ends. Is it the day of the game, or the day prior  ? If so then they have not had any match practice for one full week. With BBB H&S the MC gave him a run in the two's first then the up to Seniors. So my question is will this happen with Lever and Viney as well ?  Not saying it will but never say never.

4 minutes ago, DubDee said:

I reckon Smith stays in. He was in the team with May Lever Petty in the final against the Lions. Got injured and was replaced by Hibberd. Smith is not a depth player, he plays most of the time when fit  

he is so versatile that you can have him in with 3 talls. His spoiling and 1:1 defending has become very good. Great in the air with an amazing reach. 

I cant see them going with anything other than what's been suggested DD.

Similar to BB coming straight in for one of T-Mac or Weid, The SC would be salivating over the return of both Viney & Lever (assuming both are fit of course).

Especially Lever for Smith.  But they would also be super pleased with what Dunstan brought to the table on Sat night i reckon.

26 minutes ago, DubDee said:

That was with Hunt out injured. Hunt isn't injured any longer, and the FD has him ahead of Smith for the small lockdown defender role, so with Lever back in that leaves Smith with nowhere to play except for Casey.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You must have been somewhere far far away for a while if you can't recall any bizarro selection discussions on here of late Dazzle!

Maybe the mods can re-name this thread "Rnd 7 - Bizarro World" so anyone entering knows they are stepping in to the....

Season 5 Episode 3 GIF by Paramount+

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, DubDee said:

Are you talking about the final when he got his pants pulled down by Cameron?

If so, not a great point of reference.

Edited by Winners at last
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

JJ

I’m pretty confident the answer to my hypothetical question isn’t Jordon. He’s nailing his wing role. 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

You know that Smith was fit to play last week but didn’t get recalled, right?

He might have been in the QF team but we are one week removed from him not being considered best 22.

8 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

You know that Smith was fit to play last week but didn’t get recalled, right?

He might have been in the QF team but we are one week removed from him not being considered best 22.

Yeah mate, I know that. That why I said most of the time. I know Smith isn’t a popular player amongst fans but I rate him and wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in

47 minutes ago, Chook said:

That was with Hunt out injured. Hunt isn't injured any longer, and the FD has him ahead of Smith for the small lockdown defender role, so with Lever back in that leaves Smith with nowhere to play except for Casey.

I’d have Smith In the team over Hunt

1 minute ago, DubDee said:

Yeah mate, I know that. That why I said most of the time. I know Smith isn’t a popular player amongst fans but I rate him and wouldn’t be surprised if he stays in

We don’t really exhibit a horses for courses style of selection policy, particularly in our back half, so I don’t think anyone can be best 22 “most” of the time. 

I also think he’s actually overly popular. He has far more fans on here than I reckon his career to date would suggest. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I’m pretty confident the answer to my hypothetical question isn’t Jordon. He’s nailing his wing role. 

He's doing very well but his kicking is ordinary and he doesn't provide the aerial contest that Gus does on the wing. In some ways he's steadier than Gus was last year but he doesn't have the same upside.

Plus once Salem is back he should take the highest half back role which Gus is currently playing. Gus is doing very well in that role racking the ball up with freedom but I don't love him down back in a more defensive role. And for the balance of the backline I still think Rivers is such an important 7th defender given he can move in to a lot of roles. I'm also not really of the belief Riv has been poor. A little quiet, a few mistakes here or there which was pretty normal for him last year, but delivering exactly what's needed when the heat is on.

Anyway, it's hypothetical and it's looking unlikely that we'll get through most of this year without guys in and our regularly, but I'm yet to see anything this year to really change my mind on the pecking order and roles from last year down back and on the wing apart from Hunt for Hibbo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We don’t really exhibit a horses for courses style of selection policy, particularly in our back half, so I don’t think anyone can be best 22 “most” of the time. 

I also think he’s actually overly popular. He has far more fans on here than I reckon his career to date would suggest. 

I said he plays most of the time. Injuries account for not playing always. If I had time I’d review the last 15 games and see how many he played when fit/match fit. 

you think he is overly popular on here? Whoa! I must be on a different site

• Like 1

23 hours ago, dworship said:

My point was; it was a good performance by ANB when measured against the matrix that the team values. Further evidenced by the inclusion in the "best" listed by the Club.

Stupidity to even think ANB should be dropped. He is the ultimate team player and would be in the first picked each week. 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Bobby McKenzie said:

Stupidity to even think ANB should be dropped. He is the ultimate team player and would be in the first picked each week. 

And even if ANB doesn't dominate the stats, he is one our unacknowledged "leaders" and his impact in that role is significant !!

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, pineapple dee said:

And even if ANB doesn't dominate the stats, he is one our unacknowledged "leaders" and his impact in that role is significant !!

dead right PD

• Like 3

Match committee: do you prefer the Moet or the Bollinger? 

We are blessed with choice. I think some are too harsh on Smith, it was a howler but Nibbler was probably a worse offender trying to run a through spots he was clearly going to get caught. 

Matthew Lloyd on AAA said Weid is the more natural forward than BB and TMac and we should persevere with him. An interesting observation. 

Dunstan was good and seemed to be playing to our system but, and I thought I would never say this, Viney has been good for a goal each week, largely from set shots. 

Lever , Viney in.  Bedford out with Dunstan taking the sub spot. 

• Like 2