Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

14 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Yes we are and we simply  had a bad night converting opportunities. As you said, a few more goals instead of points and it is a thrashing.

I used to have this theory that twice a year a team will have a day when it’s straight kicking boot is on and twice when everything goes astray. We’ve had one of each in the past two rounds.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

Assuming that means he also rides home too... Far out.

I remember Bernie Vince playing a ripper game for us once when either missed the tram or got stuck in traffic (can't remember which) and had to run the rest of the way to the ground.

Bit in that.

The ride home would be great for some genuine post match downtime by himself...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demon Dynasty said:

I thought he kind of ran in to tackle then Cotchin raised his arm to fend off at the last second and Smith kind of ran in to it?  That vision  was from behind though so could be wrong 🤔

Cotchin is a more shifty version of Dangermouse. Blokes have different ways to protect themselves and it has evolved from acceptable to ....

Thought there would be more love for Sparrow, and what about the play on call to Fritsch when the ball seemed to travel about 25 meters, cost us a 2 goal turnaround.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Demonised said:

'Reigning premiers Melbourne are undefeated after Round 6.' So much in this sort of sentence that still has me bewildered. Is this what supporters of other teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, have experienced over the years?

Yep.

Watching Richmond last night for me was a reminder though that dominant eras come to an end eventually. Gotta make the most of this while it lasts.

• Like 14

Just now, Nasher said:

Yep.

Watching Richmond last night for me was a reminder though that dominant eras come to an end eventually. Gotta make the most of this while it lasts.

Correct. Being dominant is all well and good but unless you win flags it’s pointless. 
Essendon dominant and won just one flag. Gotta make sure we don’t waste this opportunity. 

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, Demonised said:

'Reigning premiers Melbourne are undefeated after Round 6.' So much in this sort of sentence that still has me bewildered. Is this what supporters of other teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, have experienced over the years?

Yep and I love it!

• Like 2

Well done again.

The Demon machine just keeps on rolling along.

I liken the Mighty Dees  to being like a high-performance racing car. You look after it, it will look after you.

The teams objective is to win as many ‘races’ as possible throughout the season proper. The focus being on winning, not necessarily by how much. 

It may necessitate putting the foot down every now and then just  to get the job done. No point thrashing the engine for prolonged periods of time when you don’t need to. No point letting your opponents know how good you  really can be at this stage. Chances are we may even lose a few along the journey. We’ll see.

In the background the support teams role is to continually tinker with the machine, to make sure it can perform at its best if and when required, and to ensure that is in peak condition for the finals. It’s important that we can go the distance.

Come finals, it is a different story. Put the pedal to the metal and drive it like you stole it and snag another big one.

(Sort of along the lines of what happened last year😊- so hard to be modest when we are so effin good)

GO DEES! 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
Sorry about font size- my bad in copy / paste debacle
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

When Clarrie wins his second Brownlow in 2023, you will have an arguable case, but not until then. Luckily when he wins his third in 2024, there will be no argument possible.

Brownlow isn’t and never has been the measure of best player. Clarrie is IMO unlikely to win one. We do have the best measure of value however - the coaches votes award. He won it last year by a street. Stays fit and he wins it this year too. Was thinking also last night about players like Cotchin, Selwood, Judd, Greg Williams. All of them have/had a snipey, eye-gougey, boot-studdy, wild elbowy side to them. Makes players like Clarrie even better. (think also Nathan Jones, Scott Pendlebury, Marcus Bontempelli). If pushed, I reckon his closest recent comparison was Dane Swan at his best - superficially unremarkable, but utterly exceptional. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Nasher said:

Yep.

And maybe turn up to games while you support a generational team…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BDA said:

The way he's going it won't be long until he's on a par with Lever and May.

I watched him closely night. Great timing, positioning and mark of the ball. He was outstanding last year and has picked up where he left off despite the injury disruption. He's a fantastic player

He’s just got one more thing to get right before he gets to AA level  imo (not that he ever will ahead of May or Lever or the other favs of the selection committee). A few times last night, after an intercept mark, he hesitated with his kick to an obvious option who was free, and then in the end kicked it to them anyway after the delay. They were then covered and resulted in a contest that wouldn’t have occurred if he went straight away. I just think he needs to have more confidence in his kicking, he actually is a better kick that level, but needs to trust himself like May does. 

Just now, spalding said:

He’s just got one more thing to get right before he gets to AA level  imo (not that he ever will ahead of May or Lever or the other favs of the selection committee). A few times last night, after an intercept mark, he hesitated with his kick to an obvious option who was free, and then in the end kicked it to them anyway after the delay. They were then covered and resulted in a contest that wouldn’t have occurred if he went straight away. I just think he needs to have more confidence in his kicking, he actually is a better kick that level, but needs to trust himself like May does. 

Better kick than Lever 

Home after 1am after a long, foggy drive home.

The ANZAC reflection was poignant and meaningful again, except for 2 Tigers fans who yelled out in the middle of silent periods.

Richmond were actually OK around the ball, and many times got it to their half forward line untouched by Dees players, which very few teams have worked out how to do. Cotchin led from the front, Bolton was dangerous most of the night, and their pressure at the contest was first rate. But I thought their forwards rarely looked dangerous, and Lynch had an absolute howler which makes me feel all warm and happy inside. 

We absolutely slaughtered them in general play, but the goal kicking was inexcusable. Some from ANB, Spargo, Pickett, Sparrow looked mentally weak. Petracca's goal kicking is beginning to really frustrate me. If he is running through 50 kicking for goal he misses, and last night he was actually quite selfish.

Oliver, May and Brayshaw were outstanding. Garry Lyon, Trav Johnstone and Jack Watts are the best kicks I have seen at the Dees but Stephen May is quickly joining them. Great to watch. 

The back 6 only gave up 11 scoring shots, but Lever and Salem are needed quickly. 

Richmond made our forward 50 entries come in wide, so well done them, but we rarely lowered our eyes. Also, BBB, Fritsch and Weid were often ignored on good leads which totally does my head in. They were seen but ignored

And Clayton Oliver is stepping in on Robbie Flower territory (big claim, I know) - he is simply brilliant. Hitting the ball at speed and setting up the next play. 

• Like 4

Sitting at the Ponsford stand end, many of the 13 points in the 1st and 3rd quarters came from old selfish habits with speccy kicks hoping for the 'hero' goal.  Just didn't look for a better placed teammate.   Often there was little pressure.  Some poor decision making didn't help like when Fritsch marked about 30 mtr from goal at an ok angle and swung round for a snap at goal.  It should have been a regulation goal for him. 

The play wasn't so easy to detect when we kicked to the Punt Rd end so others might comment on the missed shots in the 2nd qtr.

Hopefully, they get a bit of a rev up about team play.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, BW511 said:

This is how it felt watching, we were in control from start to finish and Richmond were flattered by our poor goal kicking and their fluky accuracy.

Petty had a huge game, was controlling the air with ease. His timing with ball in flight is superb.

Sparrow was very good

Clarry is looking like a man playing against boys at AFL level now, he is so strong and powerful and he’s just making good decisions consistently.

Your spot on with your views.

Reasonable kicking for goal of 15-16 and we win by 50 points! Demons controlled the game aside from 5-10 mins at start and 5-10 mins before half time.

Agree Petty looks terrific, great pair of hands, tough and reads the play so well. Will takeover from May in a few years when May slows down.

Aside from Robbie who was a magician in crap teams, we are just so spoiled at the moment with not just Oliver, but Trac, and Max all terrific players. Barring injury all will pick up half a dozen AAs. To have the three in one team is pure joy!!

• Like 2

I love that we’ve completely stolen the Anzac Day tradition and made it much, much better. The night game is much more symbolic on camera - and so it’s the lasting media image of the round.

It also doesn’t hurt that both Collingwood and Essendon are irrelevant.

The pregame was amazing last night. I love that the teams sneak on to the crowd in the cover of darkness. It was all so well done. Great acoustics at the G too.

• Like 11
  • Love 1

Felt like an 8 goal win. I note in todays HSun the “expected score” measure from where shots are taken has us winning 102-49. More like a reflection of what happened.

It is so foreign to watch us, the Demons, play each week and have very very little nerves that we’ll win anyway. Never thought this would occur in my lifetime. Trying to get my kids (7 to 15) appreciate this - but certain they won’t, don’t or can’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Not the way Goodwin was speaking at the presser. 

I think you need to take Goody’s press conferences with a grain of salt. He’s honest but there’s no way he comes out and pots a confidence player like Smith after an easy win. Smith had some shockers tonight, coughed up the handball for Lynch’s goal, missed easy targets for terrible turnovers and repeatedly jumped into Gawny, May, Rivers and Petty when they had the mark covered. He’s an able backup and has some nice attributes, but he’s out for Lever as sure as day follows night. 

48 minutes ago, Flower Magic said:

When Clarrie wins his second Brownlow in 2023, you will have an arguable case, but not until then. Luckily when he wins his third in 2024, there will be no argument possible.

Brownlows go to the best player in a team with very few or no other great players. Do you honestly believe Wines was better than Clarry, Trac, Bont and co last year? No, he only had a Boak competing with him for votes so every time they won he got 2 or 3. Clarry is competing with Trac, Gawn, May, Jackson, Langdon for votes. He gets three tonight but each of the others takes 3 off him all of the previous 5 rounds. The problem with the Brownlow is it’s the antithesis of good footy. It rewards one-man teams, whereas a strong, unselfish team(although we went away from that up front last night) takes votes off each other, splitting it so none of them win. It’s a dumb award. 

All in all last night was frustrating, there was the obvious, the goalkicking, but also our field kicking was off, we kept hand balling one too many times into pressure, kicking forward to no-one, fumbling, dropping the ball, turning it over in our back half, all of it was very uncharacteristic. The good is we still won and would’ve won by a huge margin but for ANB x2  easy set shots, Spargo missing a snap he’d kick 99/100, Fritsch and Ed shanking lockable ones, Petracca, Harmes and Kozzie going for glory when there was a simple pass, BBB missing set shots he usually kicks. The bad was that was our worst performance this year, but we still won. The ugly was Lynch’s gimme goal for HTM that should’ve been HTB, he tried to kick in a tackle and missed, the same decision had already been accurately given 3 times to that point but then the umps had a mare and the HTB decisions disappeared from then on, sometimes to our advantage, sometimes not, how does Bowey not get HTB for his brilliant tackle? Time to turn is prior!!!

On to next week, hopefully we’ve got our kicking boots on, I’m hoping we can end this mini Hawks resurgence and get back to having the media can Kennett and Mitchell for last years trade period and the Clarkson debacle.

• Like 1

I can't stand reading the number of posts in here along the lines of "it was ugly" or "we need to play four quarters" or similar.

If you were at the game last night you'd have seen that Richmond dropped extra numbers behind the ball. As did GWS. As did Port. This is the approach of teams who don't think they can beat us. 

Last night Richmond added pretty ferocious pressure early, backed by the loudest crowd against us we've faced in a year, if not more. Despite that, we are still wrestling games onto our terms. We absorbed their hits, limited damage from their momentum, and ended up with the ball camped in our forward half.

The game would have looked very different had we nailed the easy shots in the 2nd quarter that we missed, the two main ones being ANB's set shot and Pickett's snap. We kept the door open and with the crowd, they got a look late in the 2nd and capitalised. But the game was played almost entirely otherwise the way we wanted and we know that when we play the way we want, we almost always win.

It's April. Salem's played one quarter, Lever's missed four games, Petty's missed three, Rivers looks like he's not fully fit, Brown's missed three games, Petracca's not 100% fit and being tagged relentlessly. And we're 6-0.

• Like 15
  • Love 2

12 hours ago, JJ Haydos said:

Brayshaw back to the wing when Salem returns, (Salem likely in for Hunt).  Viney in for Dunstan (who didn't do much wrong).  Lever in for Smith.

ANB had a complete stinker tonight.  When the heat is on, he holds the ball for a little too long and gets caught out.  Weids, although he kicked 3, still isn't a lock.  BBB is.  

How much are (most of) our smalls improving - Sparrow,  Bowey etc.  Even Hunt had a good one tonight.  

4 points to lock in...  Bank it away... but imagine if we played 10% better tonight.  That's an 80-100pt thrashing of a team that is still in the mix.

Brayshaw will stay where he is.

When Salem returns it will either be for Hunt or for Rivers, and right now it's arguable it'd be for Rivers.

But he's not replacing Brayshaw, who would have to replace Jordon, who is best 22 right now.

• Like 1