Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Gill, turn off the Fu.. music at the End of Each Quarter so i can talk to my mates about the game. Then i may consider going to another live game

THE AFL HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT GAME DAY EXPERIENCE. 

WE GO TO WATCH FOOTY

Bring back the 2’s

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Hey Gill, turn off the Fu.. music at the End of Each Quarter so i can talk to my mates about the game. Then i may consider going to another live game

WE GO TO WATCH FOOTY

Bring back the 2’s

I often wonder who's decision it is to play music. Is it the ground manager (ie, the MCC for MCG games), the home team or the AFL? We might be blaming the wrong person.

• Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

WE GO TO WATCH FOOTY

Bring back the 2’s

You don’t go to the footy because of the music?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

I often wonder who's decision it is to play music. Is it the ground manager (ie, the MCC for MCG games), the home team or the AFL? We might be blaming the wrong person.

It is just ridiculous and wrong 

Chatting about great passages of play or marks with a Thermos Coffee and Biscuits or Beers was part of the game. 
Now i am drowned out by no name music I neither know or care about, FOR ABSOLUTELY NO REASON!!

Pathetic Management 

“oh but they do it in America”

I DON’T CARE WHAT THEY DO

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Angry 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

WE GO TO WATCH FOOTY

Bring back the 2’s

No venue has any idea about this stuff at the moment. So many places I've been lately blast the audio so loud you can't hear yourself think let alone have a conversation with the person next to you. I'm not a 19 y.o at a nightclub anymore turn it down a notch! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

21 minutes ago, layzie said:

No venue has any idea about this stuff at the moment. So many places I've been lately blast the audio so loud you can't hear yourself think let alone have a conversation with the person next to you. I'm not a 19 y.o at a nightclub anymore turn it down a notch! 

Exactly mate. I find it insulting to the great game. The Final Series during the 70’s and 80’s were regularly 90-100,000 attendances. The crowd made the energy. During the quarter breaks it was a chance to reflect. 
Now you can’t do that. The Quarter Breaks are a chance now to Blast SportsBet adverts and Bad music at max decibels 

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 3

I agree and you know I am no big fan of the AFL but trying to fit in all clubs requests would be very difficult. The MFC would be asking for as many games at the G as possible. So for a lower member club with a record of low attendance we end up with crap time slots etc. The AFL I believe are happy to accept low attendance at some games. They make motherhood statements to the contrary but their hearts are not in it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Exactly mate. I find it insulting to the great game. The Final Series during the 70’s and 80’s were regularly 90-100,000 attendances. The crowd made the energy. During the quarter breaks it was a chance to reflect. 
Now you can’t do that. The Quarter Breaks are a chance now to Blast SportsBet adverts and Bad music at max decibels 

The beauty of AFL footy was that the game alone was the entertainment. It was always the other sports in the world like NRL and basketball that needed that stuff and even music in-game to keep people engaged. 

I filled out the MFC member game days experience survey and at the end I just wrote that while I don't mind MFC's gameday experience compared to other clubs, I'd honestly still be coming if there was no entertainment and I had to BYO snacks. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

I'd honestly still be coming if there was no entertainment and I had to BYO snacks. 

I can’t understand why anyone would buy food at the ground. Not just the queuing up, but the cost. Just bring stuff from home. But maybe I’m just bitter coz the one time I did buy food recently (the jam doughnuts queue was the shortest) I paid $15 for six of them. $15!!! And not big doughnuts, either.
Didn’t help that I dropped the bag and four of them bounced out and instantly became pigeon food. So in effect I paid $15 for two (microscopic) doughnuts. 🫤 End of whinge. Thx. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nascent said:

Two Victorian teams in prime time on friday night, with one club boasting over 80,000 members, could only attract 33k in perfect conditions under roof. Just 2k more than our game vs freo on a thursday night.

Pathetic crowd. Puts to bed, yet again, the myth about dees fans not turning up.

6 hours ago, Kozzie4PM said:

Pathetic crowd. Puts to bed, yet again, the myth about dees fans not turning up.

Judging from the telecast last night id say there where more Essendon fans there or at best 50/50. Saints fans don't turn up . Was Spuds game, team are in the eight and played under a roof against a big Victorian club there would have been expected to beat.

There are lots of issues re low turn up by fans in 2022. I agree with most expressed here especially the ticket fiasco however I still believe the major factor is being locked out of games for the better part of two years. People discovered watching on TV had lots of advantages. I am probably a great example of this, I always preferred  going to a game however over a enforced two year period when the only way was tv I got used to it. Add in the comfort of home, no travel problems, over paying for a drink etc and now night games in the middle of winter are tv events. Not sure if in the short to medium term this is going to change for a lot of members  like myself. We still buy memberships to support our team but we won’t be dictated to by the AFL about when we will go to a game. I fear the days of members and fans turning up to games no matter what are gone. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dees189227 said:

If you could rock up to the ground & buy a ticket then people will come back.

Yeah agree about the music, sometimes even I think Robbo rambles on a bit much. 

He needs to be pensioned off barely  relevant  appalling noise and no body is interested

[censored] him off please

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

I fear the days of members and fans turning up to games no matter what are gone. 

…but you can bet your b’s they’ll turn up for finals, OD.
This is what grinds my gears: the fans who choose to not attend H&A games for whatever reason/s are largely the selfsame fans who’d attend a final at 3am on a freezing, blustery Monday, and walk over burning coals to get there, in the snow!

Yes, I know it never snows in the CBD. I’m just making a point. 😶

1 hour ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

This is what grinds my gears: the fans who choose to not attend H&A games for whatever reason/s are largely the selfsame fans who’d attend a final at 3am on a freezing, blustery Monday, and walk over burning coals to get there, in the snow!

Two things happen in September fans other then those competing go and it ain't freezing cold like June, July and August. Also if you buy a membership to mostly only watch finals that is your choice, don't get too down on them. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, old dee said:

Two things happen in September fans other then those competing go and it ain't freezing cold like June, July and August. Also if you buy a membership to mostly only watch finals that is your choice, don't get too down on them. 

LITERALLY fair weather fans 😉 😝

JK. You make a good point about the weather.

But the OP’s poll shows the most common reason for not attending is Covid/getting sick (over 30% of responders). Probs indicative of fans in general.

So come September, assuming the Covid status quo is maintained, these same people won’t hold that fear any longer? Methinks not. 

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

LITERALLY fair weather fans 😉 😝

JK. You make a good point about the weather.

But the OP’s poll shows the most common reason for not attending is Covid/getting sick (over 30% of responders). Probs indicative of fans in general.

So come September, assuming the Covid status quo is maintained, these same people won’t hold that fear any longer? Methinks not. 

I am no longer afraid of covid but I don't go to night games in 90% of cases I am too old now for the cold, night Train travel etc. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

All clubs have roughly the same proportion of fair weather supporters ... all the rest of it is finger pointing & chest beating.  Related to bragging rights

But I'd say our club has a higher proportion of membership in relation to actual supporter numbers. 

So in my view, we have a lot of members who aren't particularly interested in going to the games.  Older types who don't like the cold, can't stand all the noise, prefer to walk up on the day, don't like the ticketing system, don't like night games, don't like public transport and are covid-shy

We'll get bigger crowds once we have a lot more younger members ... and that might take years to achieve

Despite all that, our numbers stack up quite well against the other clubs

Come finals time, we'll get bigger numbers but so will all the other clubs (I'm assuming we will participate in the finals!)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1