Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/17/2022 at 8:31 AM, rpfc said:

Genuinely curious about the low attendance we are seeing atm. Give the reasons you have heard and/or given.

1      I work in city  a pain to go in one  more day a week

2.     At home I can scream and rant without offending

3     I pay for kayo  (every game live (still have membership every year)

4    Do not have to put up with [censored]/drunks both opposition and my supporters  annoying me

5  Price of food  parking

6   See the game better on TV when ball is on other side I have to watch the screen at MCG

7  weather 

8  Covid

Apart from that I cannot thing of anything  At 63  I do not feel bad  I had reserved seats for years in the lean years for 4 people.... I still pay full membership no reserved seats  I am still as passionate as ever

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, gregdemon said:

I never go to away games   not giving Filth  $25

It's a replacement game for the NT match later in the season, so it wont cost you anything if you have a home game membership.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gregdemon said:

4    Do not have to put up with [censored]/drunks both opposition and my supporters  annoying me

6   See the game better on TV when ball is on other side I have to watch the screen at MCG

7  weather 

8  Covid

Apart from that I cannot thing of anything  At 63  I do not feel bad  I had reserved seats for years in the lean years for 4 people.... I still pay full membership no reserved seats  I am still as passionate as ever

Seems very precious to me.

Every one of these things applies to me and my old man and we haven’t missed a game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

1 hour ago, gregdemon said:

7  weather 

8  Covid

I tell my team; if you have 8 reasons not to do something, you don’t have one good reason not to do something. 

At 63, you have a generational opportunity to see an amazing team and support them to greatness. It will only last as long as our stars stay uninjured, re-signed, and (ahem) out of trouble.

Enjoy it and get along - you’ll have a good time.

• Like 2

I’ve generally been a 10-12 game per year attendee for the last 15 years but since now having 3.5 and 1.5 year old kids it might be a little while until I can attend again consistently.

In my absence my folks have been attending with my Membership and have constantly struggled (this year) with the trains - almost every time it’s taken them 1.5hrs to get home to Oakleigh! And they live virtually next to the station.

So many factors are having an influence on crowd numbers and that’s on top of all the bad press the AFL is getting for umpiring, ticket prices, waiting times and pricing for food, etc etc.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

image.thumb.png.81e08fe65c6a8445b1f215c99871649b.png

“Too cold for all those pet members” 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kozzie4PM said:

21k tonight surely puts this debate to rest. Surely time to stop getting stuck into your fellow dees fans. 

Why would anyone want to watch the Tigers tho?

• Haha 2

On 6/8/2022 at 10:45 PM, old dee said:

Even if we win on Monday I reckon we will be lucky to crack 20k, awful fixturing as you say. The AFL don’t care it is all about TV ratings. 

Usual negative comment OD, some things never change.

Could be No 1 vs No 2 on ladder!!! 

• Like 1

I attended Saturday night’s game against Sydney, which included some time in what was a busy Frank Grey Smith bar.

A few days later I came down with what I at first thought was a cold, then tested positive to Covid. Don’t know for sure, but my best guess is that I got it attending the football.

Not meaning to put others off attending matches, but the potential to pick up covid at the footy seems a contributing factor to lower attendances. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Spirit of '87 said:

I attended Saturday night’s game....

A few days later I came down with what I at first thought was a cold, then tested positive to Covid.

...but the potential to pick up covid at the footy seems a contributing factor to lower attendances. 

Absolutely, especially for the older demographic and we are probably disproportionate here vs the rest of the comp given our lack of success prior to 2021.

In addition many who would usually take public transport, especially inner suburbanites & older dems, aren't going either.  Can you blame them?  Who wants a dose of covid as a side dish to watching a game of footy if you can avoid it?

I rarely watch or take much notice of AFL shock jocks like Caro & Kane etc but do these people ever mention these realities or do they just ignore it and keep slamming us as being poor at attending etc?

More a retorical / curious question in the sense of... are they professional  journalists in any sense of the word or just headline hunting nongs?  Sadly i suspect the latter on both counts.  No doubt a  number of [censored] so called journalist mates out there too doing same.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, 58er said:

Usual negative comment OD, some things never change.

Could be No 1 vs No 2 on ladder!!! 

Positions on the ladder won't matter. Thursday night in winter, temp 8 deg. Interstate side. It's a tv game. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2022 at 2:45 PM, Katrina Dee Fan said:

What [censored] me about this whole debate is that the attendances are down across the board but the focus is purely on Melbourne, even though we have significantly less members than clubs like Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Hawthorn, yet Melbourne are still 5th on the tally for attendance.  5th out of 18.  No one is criticising Collingwood and Hawthorn for their pathetic 42,000 on the MCG on Sunday afternoon, no one is criticising Carlton for 26,000 against Adelaide at Marvel a couple of weeks ago.  

You conveniently forget we have

(1)JUST WON a 57 year drought braking premiership 

(2) had a 10-0 winning opening run including near record 17 winning streak!!

(3) we have about 10,000 more  members and no real increase to show.

(4) Some of the excuses are seriously pathetic about non attendance .

(5) Hawthorn is no measuring Stick and it rained last Sunday! 

(6) we are about same as Essendon who have most games at Marvel a lower drawing ground usually and who are having nearly worst year yet! 

(7) I always are amused when this post is critical of our crowds you get individual posters immediately trying to defend themselves in various comical and often labouring ways. They are feeling so guilty IMO and have forgotten about how they didn't have a choice for nearly 2 years to go!!! So how much does it mean to them really ?? 

(8)Is life meant to  be a self imposed lockdown because it's not the weekend? 

(9) The players as Trac said need supporters to create  atmosphere and as a reward for excellence in performance deserve our support. 

(10) Get over it Sat 2pm start was back in the VFL and is not our lifestyle necessarily any more. 

I am over the piffling excuses just GO to the games and enjoy !

Our home crowds should not be below 30,000 and for Other Vic Club matchups games not below 40,000, snd blockbusters 50,000 To 70,000. 

Don't worry about other Clubs they didn't win the flag last year ! 

We are 10,000 missing fans from each home game at least. 

in 2018 we played Swans and drew 52,000 to a 3.20  game on a Sunday. 

Looking  forward to excuses and reactions !! 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

20 minutes ago, 58er said:

(6) we are about same as Essendon who have most games at Marvel a lower drawing ground usually and who are having nearly worst year yet! 

(7) I always are amused when this post is critical of our crowds you get individual posters immediately trying to defend themselves in various comical and often labouring ways. They are feeling so guilty IMO and have forgotten about how they didn't have a choice for nearly 2 years to go!!! So how much does it mean to them really ?? 

(9) The players as Trac said need supporters to create  atmosphere and as a reward for excellence in performance deserve our support. 

(10) Get over it Sat 2pm start was back in the VFL and is not our lifestyle necessarily any more. 

Our home crowds should not be below 30,000 and for Other Vic Club matchups games not below 40,000, snd blockbusters 50,000 To 70,000. 

I don't go to night games anymore. I am too old! If that bothers you tough. 

Edited by old dee
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, 58er said:

The 52,000 against them that day was a huge inflation. There were at least 15,000 that scanned in for pink lady on the ground and then went home. The 47k against them in 2017 on a Friday night should have been our aim

• Like 2

I am not sure why people find it hard to believe why numbers are down in attendance. We had 2 years of being discouraged / banned from going,  tv became the only way and a controlling body that does everything it can to suit the broadcast media. Surprise surprise the population have found a different cheaper way to view the game. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, old dee said:

I am not sure why people find it hard to believe why numbers are down in attendance. We had 2 years of being discouraged / banned from going,  tv became the only way and a controlling body that does everything it can to suit the broadcast media. Surprise surprise the population have found a different cheaper way to view the game. 

Surely after 2 years of being stuck at home people are itching to get off the couch!

• Like 3

When your train stop is the second last station to the end of the line it isn't very comfortable being in a near empty carriage at 11 pm on your own or worse when the others in the carriage are some unsavoury looking characters.  Sometimes it is downright scary.  My football going friends live on other train lines so not many options for safe travel home.

Before anyone suggests driving to a station closer to Richmond note there aren't many station car parks that anyone would want to be alone in late at night.

People could be a bit more thoughtful as to why some of us don't get to every night game.  I have been to three night games so far and will go to more but it isn't easy.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Spirit of '87 said:

I attended Saturday night’s game against Sydney, which included some time in what was a busy Frank Grey Smith bar.

A few days later I came down with what I at first thought was a cold, then tested positive to Covid. Don’t know for sure, but my best guess is that I got it attending the football.

Not meaning to put others off attending matches, but the potential to pick up covid at the footy seems a contributing factor to lower attendances. 

Thanks for that info Spirit!

I’ve got my seat booked for Mondays game and shall attend much to the annoyance of my wife. As I’m a member of the over 60’s demographic the thought of getting Covid is never far from my thoughts. However I’ll wear a mask and stay clear of all bars. (And I’ll yell and scream from behind my mask in a gentlemanly MCC way)!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1