Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 4/25/2022 at 8:09 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

[censored]! The Hawks were belted by Sydney. Don't expect more than 10k of them to attend this Saturday.

We'll need as many Dees members as possible

Was 41 pts in the end but game not decided till about 21 mins in last quarter. Hawks are in rebuild snd still was a promising effort with injury bit rich to call a belting when so competitive. 

That's what Dees used to do occasionally when in rebuild 1, 2, 3 and 4 over 57 years. 

What the Tigers did miss out on was a belting !!!   31 scoring shots to 14!!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 640MD said:

I can guarantee that I have seen live, more losses than your good self 

you are not the bad rabbits foot .

I did think it was myself  but I was wrong 

it has been a long journey and it’s not done yet.   Go Dees. 
I even am starting to think that this lot are better than the 54- 64 group.

Results will have to be performed to earn that 640 but we are starting to look like a very good impostor of that great era's teams.

I believe 3 flags in 4 years and say 75/80% wins in those 4 years would equal the 1954/60 teams effort of 5 flags and 2  runners up.

Thats because the AFL now has 6 more teams and it is harder to do and more competitive now than in the 60's.

Just the same as 5 in7 years vs 4 in a  row was harder as in 1920's/30 with 3 uncompetitive teams North Hawks and Dogs just starting AFL journeys.

• Like 2

What do we make of another lackluster crowd last night?

I still can't fathom a reason for more than 60% to be absent to our home games.

In a season (second in a row) in which we should be basking in the success and drive of this team, it is definitely sad to see the MCG half empty.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, layzie said:

It did seem like a bit of a waste. However I don't think I've ever seen less Hawks fans at a game as well. 

But we can't always blame the opposition supporters or expect them to come to our home games. We now have 60k members, did they pay for an empty seat?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

But we can't always blame the opposition supporters or expect them to come to our home games. We now have 60k members, did they pay for an empty seat?

No for sure we can't and I'm totally with you but at the same time I've also been used to years of home games where teams like Hawthorn and Collingwood would regularly outnumber us fan wise. It has been surprising to see the post COVID habits of the other clubs.

Regarding our lack of attendance the answers can only come from the people who haven't been attending as I've been to all but the Easter game  and I'm assuming you've been a regular attendee as well.

2 minutes ago, layzie said:

No for sure we can't and I'm totally with you but at the same time I've also been used to years of home games where teams like Hawthorn and Collingwood would regularly outnumber us fan wise. It has been surprising to see the post COVID habits of the other clubs.

Regarding our lack of attendance the answers can only come from the people who haven't been attending as I've been to all but the Easter game  and I'm assuming you've been a regular attendee as well.

Yep, I have missed only the GWS game. I will miss multiple games (around 3) later in the season because I am going overseas, but will try to watch them live on Kayo.

• Like 2

Just now, ElDiablo14 said:

Yep, I have missed only the GWS game. I will miss multiple games (around 3) later in the season because I am going overseas, but will try to watch them live on Kayo.

Yep, we're on level peggings.

As for the members paying for an empty seat. This is a slight peeve for me, I certainly don't pay $650 for the trident membership to attend 4 games a year. 

I was saying this to another DLer: If you live within 10 - 15 kms of the G, are a member and are free on Gameday then I believe you go to the game. These are the rules I put on myself at least.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, ElDiablo14 said:

In a season (second in a row) in which we should be basking in the success and drive of this team, it is definitely sad to see the MCG half empty.

It was only 700 behind the highest crowd for the round (Carlton v north). So maybe ask a different question:

"What is the AFL going to do about lackluster crowds?"

This isn't an MFC issue.

For context, all year we have been the 2nd or 3rd most attended game of the round, except for the GWS game (no surprises). Again this shows we are actually doing pretty well.

In round 7 we were the 3rd highest crowd (only 5 ppl off being the 2nd).

In round 6, the 2nd highest crowd.

Round 5, we were very low, vs GWS though.

Round 4, away in Adelaide.

Round 3, 3rd highest (pies v cats and blues v hawks were bigger)

Round 2, away in Gold Coast.

Round 1, 2nd highest for the round.

I'm not sure why people think success means we magic 80k potential attendees over night.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 10

4 minutes ago, Kit Walker said:

Membership numbers are a bit false - it's not like the old days when most memberships were 11 home games.

3 & 6 game memberships, armchair(!), country/interstate, and international ones all count

That may be right, however all (or almost all) the reserved seat areas are sold out.

I am in the redlegs level 2 and for all the 3 games I have attended this year, not once I have seen that level full capacity. I Think maybe 60 to 70 % at best.

Yesterday it looked more like 45 - 50 % capacity (funny enough my wife and I were the only ones in the row we have our seats on).

Just now, deanox said:

It was only 700 behind the highest crowd for the round (Carlton v north). So maybe ask a different question:

This isn't an MFC issue.

For context, all year we have been the 2nd or 3rd most attended game of the round, except for the GWS game (no surprises). Again this shows we are actually doing pretty well.

That can be a bit misleading. We shouldn't compare raw numbers but rather capacity %.

40,000 at Marvel is great. 42,000 at the G is not great.

• Facepalm 1

Here is another stat for you all.

In 2022 Melbourne FC is tracking towards its HIGHEST EVER AVERAGE HOME GAME CROWD.

So how about we start talking about how great it is to see our premiership success translate into bums on seats despite the pandemic?

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/melbourne.html

Edit: perhaps "highest of the modern era" is a better statement. We are still going to be the below the attendance numbers of '61-'64.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

That can be a bit misleading. We shouldn't compare raw numbers but rather capacity %.

That may be one of the silliest things I've ever read on Demonland.

No one is missing out on games at smaller venues because it is a sell out.

• Like 3

what was the crowd on Saturday? At the game I thought it said 39K, read an article today and it said 29K.

I have only been to 2 games this year, for various reasons, will be missing next week, mothers day (my wife hates footy) 

see y'all at the top of the table clash. 60K

Mcc member here and the whole thing is borked, went to book 6 tickets for next week and  the whole of level 1 and 4 baring a few seats is sold out there for we are not going to be able to go, was at the game on Saturday same deal before that, but guess what heaps of empty seats on the day. Before covid only a few bays were open to reserve seating but now it’s the whole thing, but as there is no cost I suspect people reserve the seat and just don’t turn up but this prevents other people going. 

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 2

Our average home game attendance this year is higher than the best seasons' average home game attendance EVER achieved by 10 sides: Hawthorn, Geelong, Brisbane, Fremantle, Footscray, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Sydney, GWS, GCS!

It is equivalent to the top few seasons ever for Port Adelaide, West Coast, Carlton.

And that includes a "shocker" crowd against GWS.

Obviously Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Adelaide are way out in front.

It'll probably drop a bit. We have home games against 4 interstate teams to come, including one at Trager Park. And our two marquee games this year (Anzac and QBDY) are away games, costing us probably ~5k in "average" attendance.

More stats that show it is actually going well.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, deanox said:

Our average home game attendance this year is higher than the best seasons' average home game attendance EVER achieved by 10 sides: Hawthorn, Geelong, Brisbane, Fremantle, Footscray, St Kilda, North Melbourne, Sydney, GWS, GCS!

It is equivalent to the top few seasons ever for Port Adelaide, West Coast, Carlton.

And that includes a "shocker" crowd against GWS.

Obviously Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond and Adelaide are way out in front.

It'll probably drop a bit. We have home games against 4 interstate teams to come, including one at Trager Park. And our two marquee games this year (Anzac and QBDY) are away games, costing us probably ~5k in "average" attendance.

More stats that show it is actually going well.

Hmmm but we wouldn't want to let the actual data get in the way of good old fashioned hysteria.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, deanox said:

This isn't an MFC issue.

I'm not sure why people think success means we magic 80k potential attendees over night.

It is high risk. Get covid and that is a week or more out of work. That means loosing more money for that week than what your membership costs.

Edited by Ugottobekidding

I've had my Redlegs membership for over 20 years.  In some years I knew I would get to few, if any games, for a variety of reasons.  My seat sat empty.  But I thought of it as a donation to the club.

Have been to 3 games so far.  Would love to go to every game but circumstances don't always allow.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 5

14 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Seems 39K was bang on ave crowd for both teams.  Nothing lackluster about it.

2021 - Haw - Away 36K

2019 - Haw - Home 40K

2018 - Haw - Away 42K

2017 - Haw -Home 38K

2016 - Haw - Away 41K, Home 38K

Highest Home game against Haw since 1997 46K

13 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

what

Edited by Grimes Times
  • Like 2

39,000 was a good solid crowd for a 4:35 twilight game against a rebuilding side.

We may be getting past the COVID hesitant era.

If Carlton are still in the hunt in round 22, that could be a massive pay day for us. Maybe 60,000 provided it's not a twilight game.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

39,000 was a good solid crowd for a 4:35 twilight game against a rebuilding side.

We may be getting past the COVID hesitant era.

If Carlton are still in the hunt in round 22, that could be a massive pay day for us. Maybe 60,000 provided it's not a twilight game.

I think it is a carlton home game.