Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Low Attendance

rpfc

Attendance excuses/reasons?  

162 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Haven’t missed a match and not planning to unless I get Covid or am a close contact. 
Have waited my whole life to watch this team be good. I can do other things any time but I may never get to watch a dominant Melbourne again 

Fools are those who are not bothering to turn up. You’re missing out on pure joy. 
I get that many people are away this weekend, but every week this season I’ve heard lame excuses. The footy is no more a Covid risk than flying interstate, going to a restaurant or a club. If you don’t want to deal with buying tickets online GET A MEMBERSHIP. 

Well said Jaded. Hit the nail on the head. 

Players and club have worked their backsides off to get us to this amazing position. Not a big effort for supporters to try and get to a few extra games for the season. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, old dee said:

Rab I drove in from the north west and I was surprised at how low the traffic was last night. However on the way home they dont allow cars out for 30 mins after the end. It was a long wait in the car park. I wont drive again unless it is a night game , catching the train on saturday night has proved less than wonderful in the past.

I parked in the car park as well entering at the Wellington Pde entry near the Pullman. I was able to get out straight away heading to the exit on Vale St near the Punt Rd/Wellington Pde intersection. Might be worth trying that next time.

I don't find it that bad getting out really even with the gates closed for 20 mins. Can either listen to the talkback and revel in our victory or chuck on some music or a podcast while you wait. Or take your time getting back to the car grabbing a jam donut on the way.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, deejammin' said:

Pretty similar really, maybe 2-3k more Carlton supporters than us but the difference was Port actually had a cheer squad and supporters there, you could actually hear them as opposed to the pathetic GWS turnout last night. Based on that number if the games were reversed Carlton vs GWS  would’ve had 23k and Melb vs Port 31k. I would’ve loved more demons there last night, it’s a really great vibe at our games atm, but the 20k is 100% at the AFL’s feet, their two expansions aren’t working, they have no fans! That’s not on us.

You're dreaming, this is about OUR supporters turning up. It's our home game we can't rely on opposition supporters to boost our crowd numbers. We need to be getting 40k of our own supporters to games, we've just won a flag, undefeated and the clear best team in the comp. If this were another team I'd be laughing at them, if this were North, Saints or Dogs they'd be discussing relocation.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, Kit Walker said:

I don't agree we are getting lower crowds.

As far as I can tell, the dogs game had the highest ever H&A attendance between the two clubs, Essendon games tend to get between high-30k and low 50k so 44k is well within the range.

As for GWS, 2016 and 2018 were higher but yesterday's attendance beats every other game (just) including 2019. Given it's a night game during Easter, I don't think that's a bad result.

Kit:-  the expectations on crowds is relative to us having a generational team. Ie the expectation is that crowds to watch our games would be up significantly, not flat or declining. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You're dreaming, this is about OUR supporters turning up. It's our home game we can't really on opposition supporters to boost our crowd numbers. We need to be getting 40k of our own supporters to games, we've just won a flag, undefeated and the clear best team in the comp. If this were another team I'd be laughing at them, if this were North, Saints or Dogs they'd be discussing relocation.

Carlton has 81,302 members, Port Adelaide has 61 687 members with approximately 12,000 Victorian members (from their 2021 data). Today’s attendance of 33,433 means 35% of Carlton and Ports Victorian combined membership showed up, or if everyone there was a Carlton supporter 41% rocked up. 

Melbourne has 56,841 members and GWS has 29341 members in 2022 with approximately 6500 Victorian members (from data in 2021). 20791 means 32% of the combined Melbourne and GWS, or 37% if it was all Melbourne supporters, which is far more likely than Carlton Port. It’s very comparable, only disappointing to a degree of 2-3%, not terrible. 

I’m wide awake, you are asking for 75% of Melbourne’s entire membership to show up, a figure that almost never happens outside finals and huge games, on a public holiday, in the middle of a long weekend, for a night game, post-covid, without walk up tickets, when public transport was out on a number of lines. You my friend are dreaming, but by all means, keep potting your fellow Melbourne supporters.

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Carlton has 81,302 members, Port Adelaide has 61 687 members with approximately 12,000 Victorian members (from their 2021 data). Today’s attendance of 33,433 means 35% of Carlton and Ports Victorian combined membership showed up, or if everyone there was a Carlton supporter 41% rocked up. 

Melbourne has 56,841 members and GWS has 29341 members in 2022 with approximately 6500 Victorian members (from data in 2021). 20791 means 32% of the combined Melbourne and GWS, or 37% if it was all Melbourne supporters, which is far more likely than Carlton Port. It’s very comparable, only disappointing to a degree of 2-3%, not terrible. 

I’m wide awake, you are asking for 75% of Melbourne’s entire membership to show up, a figure that almost never happens outside finals and huge games, on a public holiday, in the middle of a long weekend, for a night game, post-covid, without walk up tickets, when public transport was out on a number of lines. You my friend are dreaming, but by all means, keep potting your fellow Melbourne supporters.

Carlton have been ****house for 20 years, we're the undefeated reigning premiers. If we get 40k turning up they will not all be members, there would be at least 5k MCC who aren't MFC members then you also have the ones who attend but aren't members. 30k Melbourne supporters should be the minimum, 20k is embarrassing. I'm not taking about the ones away on holidays but those who could've gone but decided not to because it's easier to just watch at home are doing a disservice to the club and players.

Pert wants an average of 50k to Melbourne home games. Without ANZAC Eve and Queens Birthday this year. Playing Carlton and Collingwood in the last 3 rounds where their supporters will likely have dropped off. With already at least 10k down on what would have been expected at our first two home games.

I just don't understand the mentality. We are finally good, after decades of crap. Who are the people deciding not to bother turning up??

• Like 2
  • Love 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Carlton have been ****house for 20 years, we're the undefeated reigning premiers. If we get 40k turning up they will not all be members, there would be at least 5k MCC who aren't MFC members then you also have the ones who attend but aren't members. 30k Melbourne supporters should be the minimum, 20k is embarrassing. I'm not taking about the ones away on holidays but those who could've gone but decided not to because it's easier to just watch at home are doing a disservice to the club and players.

Pert wants an average of 50k to Melbourne home games. Without ANZAC Eve and Queens Birthday this year. Playing Carlton and Collingwood in the last 3 rounds where their supporters will likely have dropped off. With already at least 10k down on what would have been expected at our first two home games.

I just don't understand the mentality. We are finally good, after decades of crap. Who are the people deciding not to bother turning up??

Essendon has 81 662 members, Fremantle has 50342 with 9000 Victorian members, their attendance today of 23935 means 26% of their combined and 
29% of Essendon’s membership turned up. Far worse than us.

Saint Kilda has 55802 and Gold Coast has 19460 with less than 3000 Victorian members, their attendance of 18724 means 32% of their combined memberships turned up and 33% of St Kilda total membership turned up. Far worse than us, again.

The Kangaroos have 46357 the Dogs have 46 441 their attendance of 36162 means 39% of their combined memberships for two Victorian teams. Again, comparable to us, the dogs were the runners up, they also play good football, it doesn’t make a difference, this is the new post-COVID landscape for AFL crowds, not some terrible performance by MFC supporters.

I agree this team deserves to play in front of 80000 plus every week, they are that good, but that isn’t reality. The reality is 35% of memberships turnout is solid this year, for all clubs, including the big ones.
We have record membership, an undefeated premiership team, a grand finalist womens team, passionate supporters that are the loudest in the AFL, no debt, a well run club and better facilities on the horizon.

You can get worked up about crowds that will never happen, not happening, or you can just enjoy the good things and accept the reality of crowds in 2022 being down, regardless of what the quality of footy our excellent team provides, deserves.

I had a great time on Saturday, the Dees fans around me were plentiful and loud, I’m not going to get caught up in numbers that don’t exist, I think you shouldn’t either, but that’s your choice. 

Edited by deejammin'
  • Like 4

I think a combination of COVID and shifting priorities, plus live TV (especially live free to air) all play a role.

The past couple of years we've predominantly watched matches from the comfort of the lounge room. Put that up against having to battle public transport works / traffic, ticketing dramas, crowds, late nights for families etc, and perhaps the live in-stadium atmosphere isn't as attractive to some as it used to be.

I know it's a really tough environment, but I hope the club don't assume that a premiership will automatically deliver big crowds. They've still got to be innovative, and listen to the concerns of members / supporters.

I personally think should do more to win over supporters who are a little nervous about going to the footy because of COVID. Whether it's a video with someone from the club saying what safety measures the MCG has in place, or they give away Demon face masks at the ground, we've got to work with all our supporters, recognise that they may be at different stages of returning to 'normal life', and ask what we can do so they feel safe going back to the footy.

14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Who are the people deciding not to bother turning up??

Hi Dr, I am one of those members not turning up. In my case it’s not that I don’t won’t too but various reasons.  Work for me meant I couldn’t attend the first few games, I am lucky enough to be going on a holiday to NZ this week and I am trying to avoid contact with anybody this week as I don’t want to miss out on that. Despite buying my membership ages ago I only just got my barcode sorted on Thursday so even if I was able to go I couldn’t. My much better half is also very susceptible to Covid so I am trying to lay as low as possible. 

• Like 1

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2022.html

This rounds figures aren't yet included (as the round isn't finished) but in the first 4 rounds this year:

-Melbourne had the second highest average home game attendance (2nd to Carlton). Our two home games were both in the highest 6 attended games out of 36 in those 4 rounds.

-Melbourne was 8th overall for home and away averages, including an away game against GCS (which got only 8000, the second lowest in the first 4 rounds) and away game against PA (which got 23000, the 9th lowest in the first 4 rounds)

- Geelong only got 20500 against the lions at Kardinia, Collingwood v WC only got 25000, both much worse crowd imo.

I'm not sure what the beat up is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

Kit:-  the expectations on crowds is relative to us having a generational team. Ie the expectation is that crowds to watch our games would be up significantly, not flat or declining. 

I think that's always going to be hope rather than expectation, especially in the immediate Covid aftermath.

In that context, matching 2019 crowds is probably a win, and exceed against teams a neutral would want to see. Games against Carlton, Sydney and St Kilda are where the crowds really count, not GWS

2 hours ago, deejammin' said:

Essendon has 81 662 members, Fremantle has 50342 with 9000 Victorian members, their attendance today of 23935 means 26% of their combined and 
29% of Essendon’s membership turned up. Far worse than us.

Saint Kilda has 55802 and Gold Coast has 19460 with less than 3000 Victorian members, their attendance of 18724 means 32% of their combined memberships turned up and 33% of St Kilda total membership turned up. Far worse than us, again.

The Kangaroos have 46357 the Dogs have 46 441 their attendance of 36162 means 39% of their combined memberships for two Victorian teams. Again, comparable to us, the dogs were the runners up, they also play good football, it doesn’t make a difference, this is the new post-COVID landscape for AFL crowds, not some terrible performance by MFC supporters.

I agree this team deserves to play in front of 80000 plus every week, they are that good, but that isn’t reality. The reality is 35% of memberships turnout is solid this year, for all clubs, including the big ones.
We have record membership, an undefeated premiership team, a grand finalist womens team, passionate supporters that are the loudest in the AFL, no debt, a well run club and better facilities on the horizon.

You can get worked up about crowds that will never happen, not happening, or you can just enjoy the good things and accept the reality of crowds in 2022 being down, regardless of what the quality of footy our excellent team provides, deserves.

I had a great time on Saturday, the Dees fans around me were plentiful and loud, I’m not going to get caught up in numbers that don’t exist, I think you shouldn’t either, but that’s your choice. 

I'm not getting worked up, I'm pointing out the crowds so far this year have been disappointing for us and I'm sure internally the club would agree. It is possible to both enjoy the success of the team and critique the turnout of our supporters. Comparing us to other clubs who have struggled for two decades is a poor comparison when we are the undefeated reigning premiers. It's apples and oranges.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deanox said:

https://afltables.com/afl/crowds/2022.html

This rounds figures aren't yet included (as the round isn't finished) but in the first 4 rounds this year:

-Melbourne had the second highest average home game attendance (2nd to Carlton). Our two home games were both in the highest 6 attended games out of 36 in those 4 rounds.

-Melbourne was 8th overall for home and away averages, including an away game against GCS (which got only 8000, the second lowest in the first 4 rounds) and away game against PA (which got 23000, the 9th lowest in the first 4 rounds)

- Geelong only got 20500 against the lions at Kardinia, Collingwood v WC only got 25000, both much worse crowd imo.

I'm not sure what the beat up is.

It's not a beat up Deanox. It's disappointing after the success and also alleged desire of fans who were desperate to see our heroes live at the G.

Granted some  crowds have been poor but are from poor performing Clubs with not sustained recent success.

The  excuses and explanations are dribble and aren't worth the time posters have used up typing in. 

Yet many will  want to come to home Finals at theG no doubt. If the Club puts it out that the number of home games attended will be used in any ballot that may unsnooze  the losers missing out on what could/might/ is shaping up as our best team ever with half a dozen or more most watchable players who are destined to be all time greats and no doubt Hall of Famers in many categories. 

Kayo FTA Covid Public Transport Parking Sat  night Ticketing and any  other "excuse" don't hold a candle and is an  insult to intelligence and more to the point a giant insult to our players that at least 50% of members can't be bothered to support these modern day heroes. 

I must laud the noise and congratulate the support of the 20,000 odd who attended and sounded like double that number.on TV replay. 

We can do so much better Dees fans our champs deserve it. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

You're dreaming, this is about OUR supporters turning up. It's our home game we can't rely on opposition supporters to boost our crowd numbers. We need to be getting 40k of our own supporters to games, we've just won a flag, undefeated and the clear best team in the comp. If this were another team I'd be laughing at them, if this were North, Saints or Dogs they'd be discussing relocation.

I’m with you Doc. Goodsey always goes on about doing it for the Melbourne supporters. Gawney likewise. The MFC appear to have been holding on to their end of the bargain thus far this year.

Us, the supporters, not so sure. To me, we seem to be creatures of some bad habits, call it legacy culture if you like.

Big game coming up against the Tigers next. The players ‘job’ will be to try and win….again!

Our Job? Simple, outnumber the feral tiger army at their home game and blow the stands apart with some real passionate noise.  We are after all, the reigning premiers! 
I would want to see this happen so much so that it is a real talking point after the game.  So much so that it out does the following day’s game between the Pies / Dons. Why? Because it should!

Our team have embarked on a journey that I for one thought may not occur in my lifetime. I’m a realist, it won’t go forever but I hope that it may be for a long while. Time for us to hop on board and ride this potential wave of success. 
Success breeds success, passion can become contagious.  My dream now is to have all other supporters of all other clubs begin to feel overwhelmed by the sheer size, noise and passion of the ‘new found’ Melbourne tribe. I am so tired of the Melbourne supporter  ‘going  off to the snow’ type jokes. That is how other supporters see us, a bit of a laughing stock, definitely not something that hold in awe.

As we all know, Neale Daniher said ‘when all is said and done, more is said than done’  Not sure if we have as a supporter base walked the talk as well as we could / should have.

I really hope my burst of passion does not offend anyone.  I get people not rocking up because  Covid fears, etc, less so for carparking or train ticket issues, or it’s on TV, but everyone is different.  Bottom line is you should only go if you want to go.  If I’ve inadvertently offended anyone, I unreservedly apologise.

I guess all I am trying to say that if we want to see change happen, it has to start with us, simple as that.  I repeat, we are reigning premiers, get on board and for those of us that can, walk the talk this coming game! Be careful, it might become contagious!

Your / our only job now is to encourage as many people as you can to go watch the MIGHTY DEMONS strut their stuff this coming game and show some NOISEY PASSIONATE SUPPORT to our players while you are at it!

• Like 3

Victorian teams playing home games against GWS, Gold Coast, Port and Freo suggest the AFL weren't all that serious about getting crowds in this week.

Edited by Supermercado
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

There are many reasons 

Ticketek is a main one

Easter HOLIDAYS

Covid is still lurking 

Last week over 400,000 people went to the GP. Was an expensive weekend 

Next Sunday night will be a big crowd 

There is another for me 

The customer experience in the MCC reserve is appalling this year 

Mindless lines to get in 

Closed food and beverage outlets take away beer is mid strength  and the loud music and light shows

Ohh and the run of 730pm kickoffs

I make no apologies for missing the Giants game. Hadn't missed a home game in 3 years before this weekend and have had probably 4 years straight of 100% attendance before that. One of the first real chances to get away after 2 years I spent the weekend down in Dromana. 

• Like 3

This year marks my 18th consecutive as a Redleg and my fiancé 1st. I hail from Melbourne where I would attend every home game but have lived in Sydney for the last ten years. Since the move I have flown down for 3-4 games each year and attended our Sydney games (which are seldom, yet to do the Canberra trip). Obviously the last two years has wreaked havoc, got to the QB game last year only to witness the uncharacteristic loss to the Pies. We flew down this year for rd 3 Friday night v the Bombers for what I considered to be an ordinary game and crowd. I’m getting married this Saturday then we’re jetting off for ten nights. Upon our return we’re booking flights to come back down, currently looking at rd 12 v the Swans,  rd 15 v the Lions and either rd 21/22 Pies or Blues (I’d love to play Carlton next week and put them back in their box). I agree with some of the other posters, we have turned up game after game, year after year only to watch our team get flogged from pillar to post. We are in the midst of greatness, we should be turning up in the masses for not only are we a real chance for our own dynasty, this may never happen again in our lifetime.

Edit : How good is Kayo for when we can’t be there.

Edited by Bombay Airconditioning
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I’m getting married this Saturday

Congratulations!.

Good luck for the future.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1