Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

Demonland

On 4/16/2022 at 10:41 PM, whatwhat say what said:

IN: Sideshow Bob

OUT: Weed

Toss of the coin between Weed and Plugger Mac but the latter is SO CLOSE to 200 games and is no better / worse than the former at this stage

It's an absolute coin toss.  As a coach how would you decide who comes out between the two?  There is something in the above and the fact plugger M is a premiership player with plenty of career credits.  Looks to be struggling to get off the ground in the marking contest though.  But still has the edge in smarts on the ground (in serious traffic/heat) & in closer to goal IMV, especially with set shots on the angles.

There was one shot Weid took on a 45  from about 35 out on Sat, which i thought he would've been better served kicking a Stevie J.  Instead went for old school drop punt and missed.  Does he have this option in his arsenal?  If not he should have by now.

Also they're both very similar style players whose games are more suited to starting from nearer the square?  Both limited in range to about 45 meters out.  How often have i seen both going up for the same pack mark with no synergy between either recognising one is better staying down or maybe putting in a disguised block to help out the other.

BB better on the lead in general, harder to counter, takes the opp's No.1 defender (helping out Weid or Tommy), sometimes drawing two defenders (meaning another forward is free ...somewhere...again possibly helping out either Weid or Tommy), draws more free kicks and can often kick the distance accurately from 50/55 out.

Benny also averages about a goal a game more than the former two and any coach worth his salt will take that if it's in the offing.

Sorry Weid/Plugger lovers but i reckon BBs commin' straight in for one of them if fit.

BB comes in but also nothing wrong with healthy competition between Weid & plugger M.  Tell them both they are vying for the same spot for the rest of the season .... say two to three week blocks? but staying in longer if they can meet specific performance criteria, goals/goal assists/score involvements & pressure i50 obviously making up a fair chunk of those KPIs.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Ha, ha. 

Just saw your post but a tad late as I waded through the now 26 pages on bf to find a dozen posts relevant to our game.  Such a grind.  If people thiink we whinge a lot they could try the tigers bf post game pages, altho I don't really recommend it.

So, the 'What Did They Say' thread is open.

1,000,000 mentions of umpires, 6 mentions of 'Shemans'

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tough selection this week. Ultimately I think BB comes in for Weed, although at half time I had him in for TMac. TMac seems to play a role the FD respects that has less to do with goals than the Weed/Brown one. 
Lever for Tomlinson if that ankle/foot is sore.

Trac looked a lot less sore this week to me, no strapping on his knee and his explosiveness was back, very unlikely he gets a rest, especially with an 8 day break. 
Go Dees!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Enjoying watching all the goals, but noticed:

Weid kicks one, solid assist in another, dropped three marks he should take.

TMac kicks one, directly assists two. 

Generally TMac does more heavy lifting than Weid!

Leaning towards TMac re structure and impact, but wouldn’t might seeing Weid have a crack at CHF!

Both are well behind BBB!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

As usual, an interesting split of opinions on selection

Everyone seems to agree that if BBB ( I believe he will) comes in then either Tmac or Weid goes.

Again Weid tantalised . He did some good things but then went missing for a while. It was an almost game. Had he held on to those marks where he seemed to have decent purchase it would have been a good game.

Tmac did probably an equal amount of positive things but also contributed more in between. He took a few ruck contests, went back and contributed some bullocking work, including a very solid hip and shoulder. In general, he looked more mobile than he has for a while.

I'm tipping Tmac to stay.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Kick_It_To_Pickett said:

If Brown comes in for TMAC, does that allow Weed to play the high half forward role? If so, I thought he was much more suited to that last night than the deep forward role. As the game wore on, he was able to lead up and do some great work marking on the wings. I think his is his go. In saying that, Brown and Weed can work out a balance where one stays deep and one leads high, but they can’t be going at the same ball. It’s a great problem to have. 

I agree, I thought Weid looked better when he was further up the ground. I don't think he's as good as a deep forward.

Which IMO increases the likelihood either he or TMac make way for Brown. Brown is best as our deepest tall forward. Both TMac and Weid are at their best when they push up the ground.

• Like 1

Telstra Tracker (stats frm 2020 - I can't access more recent)

BBrown rd 6 13.3km

BBrown Rd 2 13.1km

BBrown Rd 4 13.4km

BBB covers a lot of ground for a big fwd...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Keep Weid in for 6-8 weeks. We can afford to rotate our 3 key forwards atm. Give TMac a week off. Play Brown and Weid for the next 2 weeks and see what happens. Weid clunks a couple more marks and he’s a 3-4 goal key forward with growing confidence. It’s worth some patience 

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

23 minutes ago, David-Demon said:

Knowing Goody and the Team balance I think that there will be no changes for Round six against The Tigers.

BBB has not impressed me in his two outings so far in the VFL.

8 Marks, 13 possessiosn for 3 goals 3 in game 1 against the Dogs. Only 30 days ago.

Then covid interruption.  Last 2 VFL outings surely are irrelevant. 1 back from injury, the other back from isolation.

We have a consistently effective premiership full forward.

He comes in. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

As usual, an interesting split of opinions on selection

Everyone seems to agree that if BBB ( I believe he will) comes in then either Tmac or Weid goes.

Again Weid tantalised . He did some good things but then went missing for a while. It was an almost game. Had he held on to those marks where he seemed to have decent purchase it would have been a good game.

Tmac did probably an equal amount of positive things but also contributed more in between. He took a few ruck contests, went back and contributed some bullocking work, including a very solid hip and shoulder. In general, he looked more mobile than he has for a while.

I'm tipping Tmac to stay.

Pretty sure your on the money here.

Tmac did a little more and has more experience and proven ability.

It was good to see Sam improve a little and his presence will hopefully pressure Tmac to loft more.

But BBB has to come in. So Sw has to go.

• Like 1

I like Weed. He wanted to remain a Demon which warms my heart. And his body language on the ground confirms his desire to play in this team. However, I do find his second efforts or lack of them, frustrating. At times, he reminds me of Jack Watts. Weed can be only metres away from an opponent with the ball but does not put any effort to attack the contest. It is noticeable compared to his team mates who keep chasing. A tall forward cannot rely on marking alone or relying on the one contest.  That’s what impresses me about BBB. His chasing and pursuit of the contest when the ball hits the ground is exceptional. Always 100 per cent effort. 

Weed still has a future and we should persevere with him. However, at the moment and probably for the rest of the season BBB is our best option. And TMac still offers more versatility and effort than Weed. 

• Like 4

Have now finished a reasonably detailed watch of the replay paying particular attention to Weidemans's game.

It wasn't great but there were probably ten times when he put himself in a marking position and failed. Now if he could have taken half of those grabs the debate would be over.

On the other hand TMac seemed to have less chances and made a better fist of marking when the opportuntiy arose.

I'm sure the coaches will be playing the tapes of each player against the other.

My guess is that Weideman will be given the nod simply because he offers more upside. How may weeks will he get to show form. I don't know but it will probably be at least two but I suspect that he will be given a few non negotiables if he wished to keep his place

• Like 3

• Demonland changed the title to CHANGES: Rd 06 vs Richmond

On 4/17/2022 at 9:36 AM, spirit of norm smith said:

Nervous week ahead Werridee.  
BBB could replace either Weid or Tmcd.

Tmcd stays in probably on sentiment as he and Weid were probably about even on the night.  Toss of the coin but Weid might miss out.  Goody showed with Tomlinson that despite form, he wants his best premiership 22 back in formation.  

I agree in part. I think they might stick with Tmac partly because it gives us more flexibility given he is also an elite backman, but l think there is little to separate them as key forwards. For the Weid to change this he will have to consistently hold his pack marks as he did with his first game back but it seems to have largely disappeared since then.

3 hours ago, David-Demon said:

Knowing Goody and the Team balance I think that there will be no changes for Round six against The Tigers.

BBB has not impressed me in his two outings so far in the VFL.

BBB smashed it in Round 1 & 2. Clunked everything in the air & kicked straight. You cant judge VFL form. Harrison Petty was awful 2 weeks ago in his return game & was sensational back in AFL team on Saturday. BBB return is a No Brainer. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Weid seems to take a while to get going and spills a few early but as the game goes on he seems to get his eye in and pulled in a few beauties in the second half. It's a tough decision, I think we need to bring Brown back in. Maybe against another side Weid stays in but there is a feeling that he gets found out in this game with Guys like Tarrant and Broad to contend with.

27 minutes ago, adonski said:

Posters trying to argue that keeping out a 60 goal a year fwd is good for the team:

Always Sunny Reaction GIF

It’s probably a combination of out of sight, out of mind and wanting avoid making a difficult choice and needing to disappoint someone.

Early on I tried to convince myself of a scenario where BBB doesn’t get picked for those exact reasons, but now that the dust has settled it’s clear to me that he’s the best of the three and must come in. Who goes out is down to a coin toss though. Tough choice, glad I’m not the one making it.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Old Man Rivers said:

BBB smashed it in Round 1 & 2. Clunked everything in the air & kicked straight. You cant judge VFL form. Harrison Petty was awful 2 weeks ago in his return game & was sensational back in AFL team on Saturday. BBB return is a No Brainer. 

Surely a player gets selected for the senior side based on his VFL performance first and foremost. I thought BBB was rather lazy last weekend in the VFL. As for Petty, he had a good limited timed game against Willie and in fact had 13 possessions. 

Watch this space. 

18 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I agree, I thought Weid looked better when he was further up the ground. I don't think he's as good as a deep forward.

Which IMO increases the likelihood either he or TMac make way for Brown. Brown is best as our deepest tall forward. Both TMac and Weid are at their best when they push up the ground.

No way will T Mc get dropped.  No Changes... for Round 6 I predict.

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

I like Weed. He wanted to remain a Demon which warms my heart. And his body language on the ground confirms his desire to play in this team. However, I do find his second efforts or lack of them, frustrating. At times, he reminds me of Jack Watts. Weed can be only metres away from an opponent with the ball but does not put any effort to attack the contest. It is noticeable compared to his team mates who keep chasing. A tall forward cannot rely on marking alone or relying on the one contest.  That’s what impresses me about BBB. His chasing and pursuit of the contest when the ball hits the ground is exceptional. Always 100 per cent effort. 

Weed still has a future and we should persevere with him. However, at the moment and probably for the rest of the season BBB is our best option. And TMac still offers more versatility and effort than Weed. 

Spot on Ernest.  
While I like Weed, and he seems to be improving, he still doesn’t share the desperation off the ball, and the second and third efforts, that his team mates demonstrate at every opportunity.  While TMac has his physical limitations these days, he plays his role, and his effort is rarely, if ever, questioned.  I have no doubt this is highly valued by our MC, and will keep him in the team ahead of Weed for the time being.
Weed has a sound future imo, but he is yet to equip his game with the team ethos that my old coach referred to as ‘death before dishonour’.  I think he needs to develop this at Casey.

Edited by Deeoldfart
  • Like 3