Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 02 vs Gold Coast

Whispering_Jack

16 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

An interesting insight into our game tactics from Goodwin's press conf.

He was asked about our trouble scoring in the last qrtr when we kicked 5 pts.  His response (paraphrasing):  "We didn't need to score to win the game. We had built up a lead that we needed to defend".

That was a surprisingly honest response from him. Most coaches would say something about not taking our chances, but Goody was just flat "nah, we were in front - why score?"

I liked it!

• Like 4

Just now, Chook said:

That was a surprisingly honest response from him. Most coaches would say something about not taking our chances, but Goody was just flat "nah, we were in front - why score?"

I liked it!

I agree.  I was a bit surprised by his frankness.  He would usually just play a straight bat to it.

Regarding the tactic, I reckon he valued testing end of game defence ideas and developing good habits when defending a lead.  We were caught out a few times last year, namely the Adelaide match.  Nothing beats practicing a tactic in real match conditions.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Demonised said:

Struggle and win. Struggle and lose. I know which one I prefer.

Well? Are you going to keep us in suspense?

4 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Just amazed by Bowey’s game and continued linear improvement this season. Trying to think to who may be comparable to him in the past and dual Brownlow medalist Keith Grieg comes to mind. Silky smooth, composed, unflappable skilful half back flanker. Of more recent times Nathan Buckley comes to mind with similar refined and complete skill levels at  the start of his career. 

Bowey 1
Buckley 0

Go "David"

GO DEMONS!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, loges said:

Yeah I love him too, I've posted previously I was lucky enough to sit next to him on the plane to Darwin 2019 and have followed him closely ever since, No one was happier than me when he returned to form last year. I still see his effort, finding it hard to understand his fluctuations in form.

Watch the game he is a liability always trying to be what he  was 

unfortunately he isn't  Got  in BBs'  way got in Frittas' way  got in Harmes' way 

If he is playing a role please tell me what  that is 

His body language is not so good he knows he is just on the edge and tries too hard as a result

35 minutes ago, Chook said:

I liked it!

Or he was bluffing to cover our last quarter performance. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Good post and I don't really disagree with your comment on our defence and the need for Lever to come back.

But out of interest I had a look at the stat for scores conceded from inside 50s against.

The Dogs scored from 31% of their inside 50s, and Gold Coast 32%.

Those the two lowest rates in the 17 games played so far.

Next worst was North vs Hawthorn in Round 1 at 34%. 

I didn’t look at those stats, my comments were purely observational. It just seemed to me the Suns forwards were able to mark the ball in good positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, loges said:

Yeah I love him too, I've posted previously I was lucky enough to sit next to him on the plane to Darwin 2019 and have followed him closely ever since, No one was happier than me when he returned to form last year. I still see his effort, finding it hard to understand his fluctuations in form.

***Me being a broken record.

Stats are not the correlation to form. (I'm not sure you are actually saying that is true either).

In some sense, there are some players who's role is the 'negative space' , which amplifies the positive space.

I see Tom's role like this. When he is on - it is clear, taking marks, being an objective threat.

At other times, he is the subjective threat, he is the 'negative space.'

Screen Shot 2022-03-27 at 19.36.55.png

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I agree.  I was a bit surprised by his frankness.  He would usually just play a straight bat to it.

Regarding the tactic, I reckon he valued testing end of game defence ideas and developing good habits when defending a lead.  We were caught out a few times last year, namely the Adelaide match.  Nothing beats practicing a tactic in real match conditions.

I think the tactic was about our preparation for our next game in terms of it being in 6 days time

The humidity looked full on. And such high humidity is super taxing, particularly given our game plan relies so much on all players doing heaps of running.

We were unusually aggressive with our ball movement in the first quarter- and paid the price. I wonder if the reason  was to try to and get a jump on them early.

Get an early lead and go into control mode, ie what they ended up doing in the last

I reckon that tactic, something they did all last season, was aimed at mitigating against the impact of the humidity and a six day break.

They did it all last home and away last season, to some degree, and I'm convinced it was way of managing fatigue. It's why we win so many games in the 3-5 goal range.

The other part of that comment that was interesting was it in response to a question that framed the margin as a function of being tired.

Goodies answered we weren't fatigued, which is bollocks. They looked totally gassed. But I suspect he said we weren't with an eye to essendon players hearing thst response, or more accurately not wanting  to give them any ammunition by saying yes, they were spent.

So I'd say his comment about us not needing to score was not so much honest, as disingenuous 

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

45 minutes ago, Kent said:

Watch the game he is a liability always trying to be what he  was 

unfortunately he isn't  Got  in BBs'  way got in Frittas' way  got in Harmes' way 

If he is playing a role please tell me what  that is 

His body language is not so good he knows he is just on the edge and tries too hard as a result

Pretty sure I"ve stated I'm not sure what his role is.

Just wanted to add a story or two about some interstate Demon fans that I met prior/during the game.

I sussed both out to see if they were posters on "Land" without giving much away, but 1 was a Facebook Dees fan (lady), while I couldn't even hear the response from the legend (dude) who sat next to my wife during the game.

The young lady we met while having a pre game beer at Surfers Paradise Beer Garden. A lovely girl from Toowoomba who could have talked about the Dees all night. Her Dees supporting partner was ill, so she was sitting in the pub, proudly wearing her Dees guernsey while not gaf about the dress code (i wore my hoodie for fear of being kicked out....She had more stones than I did). Respect Miss whatever your name was (I told you i'd forget, sorry)

And the bloke we sat next to. He was very relieved to be surrounded by Dees fans initially, although the entire stand was a sea of Red & Blue by game time. He had earphones in and gave me stats and info throughout the game, not realising I was deaf as a post and could only nod and say "yeah, ok, thats interesting" to about 50% of his info. We both owed my lovely wife an apology for throwing hi-5's in front of her the whole game. What a great bloke. If you know him, tell him hi from myself and Angie.

Damn I love being able to enjoy a game with strangers, knowing that our side is not an embarrassment. Two truly wonderful people. If you are on the Facebook page, feel free to pass this on to the beautiful young lady. (and tell her, every child just needs a hug, and i hope her partner is ok) She will know what I mean.......

• Like 5
  • Love 1

24 minutes ago, John Crow Batty said:

Last defender to win a Brownlow was Keith Greig(twice).Uncanny similarity with Jake  Bowey in looks and talent.

1215256C-4279-45A3-8124-1FB6E20C1C84.jpeg

271E687F-9676-4D38-9ACE-5F553570B39A.jpeg

I thought Keith Greig won off a wing?

History would be made the next year, with the North wingman becoming just the fifth player at the time to be named a back-to-back Brownlow Medalist, this time edging out Melbourne defender Gary Hardeman and Richmond’s Kevin Bartlett to have his name sitting comfortably amongst all-time greats like Haydn Bunton Sr, Dick Reynolds, and Ian Stewart.

found this.......

Edited by faultydet

2 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

He was asked about our trouble scoring in the last qrtr when we kicked 5 pts.  His response (paraphrasing):  "We didn't need to score to win the game. We had built up a lead that we needed to defend".

Yep - I noticed that too. I think @binman made some comments last year about this. That our ability to strangle the opposition isn't just a  negating defensive necessity, it's an active part of our plan.

I thought that remark of Goodwin's was the most revealing he's made in a press conference! Touch of (well deserved) arrogance?

Edited by frankie_d
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, frankie_d said:

Yep - I noticed that too. I think @binman made some comments last year about this. That our ability to strangle the opposition isn't just a  negating defensive necessity, it's an active part of our plan.

I thought that remark of Goodwin's was the most revealing he's made in a press conference! Touch of (well deserved) arrogance?

I don't see that as arrogance. I see that as a coach who has his players exquisitely tuned to his game plan. I thought it was a fantastic insight to his "team first" coaching. Wanted him gone just over 12 months ago. SO happy I was a clueless bozo.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, faultydet said:

Have to admit I've completely forgotten how a Victorian winter feels like after 20 years in central and North Queensland. The missus and I both took hoodies to the game. I cant even comprehend an overnight minimum under 20 at this time of year. And humidity? We were happy to be 1000km closer to the south pole for a change. It was quite cool for us.

Was nice to see a game for the first time in about 7 years though.

I hear you Faulty.  I've just moved back to Vic from SEQ ( have also traveled/worked a far bit in FNQ) and it's been quite a shock to the system.  Cold mornings see me don jeans for the day, but then I'm sweating in them by mid arvo, but can't understand the life long Victorians saying how hot (it hasn't) got some days with like 0% humidity!

Doing my head in!! Lol

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Good post and I don't really disagree with your comment on our defence and the need for Lever to come back.

But out of interest I had a look at the stat for scores conceded from inside 50s against.

The Dogs scored from 31% of their inside 50s, and Gold Coast 32%.

Those the two lowest rates in the 17 games played so far.

Next worst was North vs Hawthorn in Round 1 at 34%. 

As Goody remarked, the guys we had in down back held their own and got the job done.

• Like 2

I never watch the game with the sound on. But last night I had a moment of weakness and wanted to hear what kind of praise the commentators had for he MIGHTY DEMONS.

So I turned the sound on for the last 5 minutes. The level of praise was acceptable.

But I couldn't get over what the umps were saying. The amount of nannying and coaching going on! Does that go on all game?

At a boundary throw in: "you're a long way back"

At another throw-in: "long way back" and something else I couldn't make out. But obviously information for the players.

When a free kick was awarded, players running past the "protected zone": "stay with him ... go out ... clear out"

At a mark of free kick: "Max... 2 metres .. .2 more metres ... that's it ... stand"

Why TF do the umpires need to instruct the players?  They should not need to say anything except "play on" or "stand". Everything else is with whistles or gestures. I don't object to an ump saying "2 metres" or something like that so the player on the mark knows where to stand. But for Christ's sake. Say it once. These are professional footballers who are supposed to know the rules of the game they are playing. Do they need to be told to stay out of the protected zone? Do they need to be told where the thrown in ball is going? It's ridiculous.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I think that's largely the mentality we took in a number of games in the middle of last season until the pre-finals killing spree.

I'm not sure if it was just conserving for next week once the games in the bag, or more of a focus and emphasis on making sure our defensive game is well tuned, but it seemed like a number of games last year that we effectively shut down the opposition in the last quarter, without attempting to put them to the sword when we probably could have.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paulo said:

Tom please get back to extending them dukes instead of trying to take marks close to your chest , also I have noticed he is focusing more of his surroundings and less on hitting the ball at pace . I don't think he is too far away though,  just needs to find that aggression and hit up hard leads .

Max also got his hands to many marks but didn't take them. TMac is essential to Bailey Fritsch playing well.  As the night went on with  the humidity & light rain..none of our talls (Dogga the exception) didn't mark the ball cleanly. Coming up against a red hot SUNS on their home deck with a shortened pre-season...I'll take any win ..anyway..to bank 4 points!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I hear you Faulty.  I've just moved back to Vic from SEQ ( have also traveled/worked a far bit in FNQ) and it's been quite a shock to the system.  Cold mornings see me don jeans for the day, but then I'm sweating in them by mid arvo, but can't understand the life long Victorians saying how hot (it hasn't) got some days with like 0% humidity!

Doing my head in!! Lol

Yeah, don't want to sound like I'm bagging the Vics, after all I'm still considered one of them after 20 years up here (GAYFL etc)

But the weather thing totally escapes me now. Cold is 20 Celsius max, not 19 Celsius minimum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

This happens more often that we realise. 

I remember Clarkson shifting a defender behind the ball when we were 95 pts down against the Hawks a few years back . We all though the was being mean spirited and wanted to beat us by 100 points but I was told on good authority that he was getting his team to play various roles and match play scenarios.

Against GC we were knackered with the heat. SO shutting the game down was a good option.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, John Crow Batty said:

Last defender to win a Brownlow was Keith Greig(twice).Uncanny similarity with Jake  Bowey in looks and talent.

1215256C-4279-45A3-8124-1FB6E20C1C84.jpeg

271E687F-9676-4D38-9ACE-5F553570B39A.jpeg

Greig was a winger was he not?

Wanganeen won his Brownlow playing as an attacking defender...

• Like 3