Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

2022 Free Kick Differential

Demonland

4 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Weightman obviously comes from a soccer background, and if not, he should seriously consider changing codes. 

Ha ha his old man was local champion and his uncle went alright for the Tiges.!!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sue said:

I'm glad you enjoyed my comment about people's enjoyment though I'm not sure why it deserved so many ha ha's.

Because it is hilarious, that's why.  I suppose people whinging about the umpires (constantly) is quite funny.  Bit like a Monty Python sketch

*People enjoy the whinge*

I post about umpires very rarely, but because my views go against the grain so much, they stand out

Meanwhile, many here have to endure countless numbers ruining every game-day thread as well as the post match threads with their constant moaning about even the most innocuous of free kicks 

By the way, that other thread about the 50m penalty handed out for abuse & dissent has gone awfully quiet hasn't it, sue?

Tried to tell you that you had nothing to worry about.  Got that one right too.  Ho hum

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deedubs said:

Are you saying Pickett doesn't throw his head back or lead with the head? Please, he's one of the worst at that. Not that I mind too much, but he does.

Pickett no longer plays for frees like he used to ... not that he was doing it at Selwood levels but nonetheless, he was playing for high contact from time to time

And I reckon one of the reasons he's generally stopped doing it is because it didn't work.  Might have had the opposite effect thus the lopsided frees for and against to his name

So it doesn't always work but it does for those who have, dare I say it, turned it into an artform

More than 10 years ago I was advocating that high contact frees should only be paid for flagrant high contact.  Otherwise play on or 'holding the ball'

If nothing is done, we are going to see an even bigger glut of high contact frees.  More and more players are becoming adept at milking high contact frees

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Macca said:

Because it is hilarious, that's why.  I suppose people whinging about the umpires (constantly) is quite funny.  Bit like a Monty Python sketch

*People enjoy the whinge*

I post about umpires very rarely, but because my views go against the grain so much, they stand out

Meanwhile, many here have to endure countless numbers ruining every game-day thread as well as the post match threads with their constant moaning about even the most innocuous of free kicks 

By the way, that other thread about the 50m penalty handed out for abuse & dissent has gone awfully quiet hasn't it, sue?

Tried to tell you that you had nothing to worry about.  Got that one right too.  Ho hum

Yes, your posts  on umpires stand out, hence my comment that we know your position.   

And re the 50m abuse discussion, of course it's gone quiet.   I think I said something along the lines that the players would pretty quickly learn to shoot their best friends if their coach required it.    Doesn't mean the thing is the best policy.

If you learn to curb your arrogance and  you will be have more success in influencing the 10 to 15% of us you said you hoped to influence.  I suppose the other 85 to 90% os us are beynd hope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, sue said:

Yes, your posts  on umpires stand out, hence my comment that we know your position.  

There's the 'We' again

And my arrogance?

Just returning fire ... you go down the path of using the word 'We' against one person and that's not pure arrogance? We, as in 'The rest of the site' don't agree with you Macca

Have a good look in the mirror ... you need to be taking my advice, not vice-versa. 

And if you're up against the mob like I am on this issue, you need to be sure of what you're saying

If that comes across as arrogance, I couldn't care less.  I'm not here to be popular

It's time you and many others pulled in your collective heads in and started showing true respect for umpires and the job that they have to do

You should try it one time, you seem to be an expert on all things umpiring ... instead of just taking potshots from the sidelines like you've always done

Edited by Macca

1 minute ago, Macca said:

There's the 'We' again ... at my last check not one person is 'liking' your posts.  So it seems that you might be on your own hey?

And my arrogance?

Just returning fire ... you go down the path of using the word 'We' against one person and that's not pure arrogance? We, as in 'The rest of the site' don't agree with you Macca

Have a good look in the mirror ... you need to be taking my advice, not vice-versa. 

And if you're up against the mob like I am on this issue, you need to be sure of what you're saying

If that comes across as arrogance, I couldn't care less.  I'm not here to be popular

It's time you and many others pulled in your collective heads in and started showing true respect for umpires and the job that they have to do

You should try it one time, you seem to be an expert on all things umpiring ... instead of just taking potshots from the sidelines like you've always done

Where did I say that the rest of the site doesn't agree with you Macca?  I merely said we know you position on this (because you state it regularly, and as you said it sticks out). Completely different. 

(In fact I agreed with your recent post on the topic, but as I said, would have liked to see extra words to say that sometimes, however rarely, umpire calls (and luck) can determine who wins.)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Macca said:

You have put a lot of effort into this. I think you have succeeded.

Edited by ManDee
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Vomit 1

48 minutes ago, sue said:

(In fact I agreed with your recent post on the topic, but as I said, would have liked to see extra words to say that sometimes, however rarely, umpire calls (and luck) can determine who wins.)

At a high rate (most generally) games are decided by skill levels & good coaching

And sometimes teams that have got high skill levels & top level coaching can have a off day

Or a shocker as in our encounter at the Crows last year ... not that that game curtailed our premiership chances, on the contrary, that loss might have helped the team.  Who knows, but it is often said that teams can often learn more from a loss than an easy win

So many supporters were focused on that last decision by the umpire (and it was a poor decision) but the coaches & players would have been focused on the next encounter (and to make amends on their poor showing against the Crows)

So we came out and beat the Bulldogs easily next game up ... built up a 6 goal lead by 3/4 time and then locked the game down in the last quarter (1 goal vs 2 goals)

A sign of things to come ... eerily similar to nearly every game this season (and many games last season)

What's all that got to do with umpires?  Not much at all

And that's the point that I'm continually trying to make

Edited by Macca

Just now, ManDee said:

You have put a lot of effort into this. I think have succeeded.

What can I say ... I like winning!

Is that arrogant?  haha

1 hour ago, sue said:

influencing the 10 to 15% of us you said you hoped to influence.  I suppose the other 85 to 90% os us are beynd hope.

Influencing is probably the wrong word ... more so alerting those who's minds can be conducive to change

We are creatures of habit so if we have a certain view on umpires and that view is very strong,  we're unlikely to change

But at any age, we can change our minds or have our minds changed for us when a balanced view is presented

So I see all the errors made by umpires that most do but ... I blame the circumstances, the game itself, the grey areas etc etc

Otherwise, every umpire that has ever umpired at the top level must be incompetent (such is the torrent of dissatisfaction shown towards umpires that we constantly witness)

But that argument lacks logic ... how can they all be incompetant? Year after year after year?  Decade after decade?  The argument against umpires doesn't make sense (to me at least)

Could anyone name the best 6 umpires in the game?  Does anyone even know the names of 6 umpires?  Most often umpires are addressed as a number (and often done in a disdainful way)

80% of all game-day posts here are to do with umpiring decisions but what about the opposition and the way that they're playing?  Barely a word

As for how we're playing, not a lot either apart from the contributions of p-man, layzie, Chook and 1 or 2 others

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Influencing is probably the wrong word ... more so alerting those who's minds can be conducive to change

We are creatures of habit so if we have a certain view on umpires and that view is very strong,  we're unlikely to change

But at any age, we can change our minds or have our minds changed for us when a balanced view is presented

So I see all the errors made by umpires that most do but ... I blame the circumstances, the game itself, the grey areas etc etc

Otherwise, every umpire that has ever umpired at the top level must be incompetent (such is the torrent of dissatisfaction shown towards umpires that we constantly witness)

But that argument lacks logic ... how can they all be incompetant? Year after year after year?  Decade after decade?  The argument against umpires doesn't make sense (to me at least)

Could anyone name the best 6 umpires in the game?  Does anyone even know the names of 6 umpires?  Most often umpires are addressed as a number (and often done in a disdainful way)

80% of all game-day posts here are to do with umpiring decisions but what about the opposition and the way that they're playing?  Barely a word

As for how we're playing, not a lot either apart from the contributions of p-man, layzie, Chook and 1 or 2 others

so don't get involved in the game day thread.....i don't

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Sorry dc, I don't give up that easily.  

Why walk away when something can be fixed?  The harder it gets, the more motivated I become

I'll keep battling way, thank you very much.

And if the biggest issue is the umpire bashing (on the game day thread) why is that a problem for you?

After all, it's not like you are with me on respect for umpires.  And if I'm wrong on that, can you point me towards your posts where you have gone into bat for the umps

I do think Umpires have an ongoing responsibility to protect the upper part of the body including the head and neck, just like rugby purportes to be doing, and probably isn't.

A few folk on this site like to have a different perspective on things and that's ok, but there is no longer an argument that the Earth is flat either.

27 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

And there is a way of ignoring all the umpire 'references' on the game-day thread

Just put those perpetrators on ignore ... however, that leaves only about 5 posts per page!

I did it last year and the game day thread became an enjoyable and informative read.  True story

14 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

c'mon macca, give it a rest before you blow your foofa valve 🥴

you're just repeating yourself. we know perfectly well where you stand re umpires.

Every time I put the onus back on you, you come back at me as if it's my issue

It's others that are blowing the foofa valves, not me.

I'm just trying to save them from a lifetime of angst.  But apparently, according to sue ... 

"People enjoy the whinge"

Me, I enjoy the actual game whilst taking very little notice of the umpiring decisions ... is that a crime?

Edited by Macca

for mine it's not the free kicks you get / give, it's those that are missed and inconsistency

there's usually only 3-4 howlers per game where the field umpire is blindsided, and there's always going to be inconsistency when there's three different individuals interpreting split second decisions

what i REALLY didn't like on the weekend just past was when one called a mark for fritsch and the non-controlling umpire overruled - rather than a shot on goal for us they rushed the ball forward and, i think, kicked a goal

infuriating

edit: especially when the mark for king was paid when it a) came off hunt's back and b) was clearly touched by another demon player before that

Edited by whatwhat say what
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

c'mon macca, give it a rest before you blow your foofa valve 🥴

you're just repeating yourself. we know perfectly well where you stand re umpires.

And it bears repeating too.  I'm sending an important message

As a society we are so much more enlightened in so many areas these days.  Minority groups no longer have to put up with undue prejudice or narrow minded thinking.  They've got a voice

But not footy umpires it seems ... they are almost the last group of people treated as fair game.  All based on an idiotic myth that they are somehow cheating

How about the bloke on the game-day thread who has called the umpires ××××××× cheats about 500 times over a 10 year period

Acceptable behaviour? 

Why don't you pull him up about repeating himself?  He'll be on the thread next weekend.  There's nothing surer

Edited by Macca

5 hours ago, ManDee said:

You have put a lot of effort into this

The tide is turning with the AFL taking the huge step of making sure the players respect the umpires and their decisions on the field

That will filter down to the junior leagues and soon enough, more people will take up umpiring at all levels

Eventually that can lead to full time umpires at the top level with continuous fine tuning of the rules to make the game far easier to umpire

I understand that many just want to lash out at the umpires and that will never stop but I care about the sport as a whole, not just about self-interest

You should take up the same stance

10 hours ago, willmoy said:

I do think Umpires have an ongoing responsibility to protect the upper part of the body including the head and neck, just like rugby purportes to be doing, and probably isn't.

A few folk on this site like to have a different perspective on things and that's ok, but there is no longer an argument that the Earth is flat either.

Believe it or not, there are still some believers. (I vaguely recall the first conference was initially called the first "global meeting" until the organisers realised the ridiculousness of using such an expression.) 

• Like 1

I think your modern breed of flat earth "believers" could be more accurately described as "scammers" as they all seem to need other peoples' money to be able to unravel the conspiracy.

There was a guy who was big into racing cars, turbo engines, etc, and was hellbent on making a steam powered rocket to go into space. Hobby/dream of his. Of course it isn't something you can do in your garage. It needs money. He heard about the flat earthers and it suddenly emerged it had been a lifetime goal of his to expose the conspiracy and he needed his rocket to go up prove everything. Donations please ... (Conclusion to story: he got his money, built his rocket and died when on a test flight the steam tank blew a leak and he crashed into the desert.)

Edited by Mazer Rackham
  • Shocked 1

11 hours ago, willmoy said:

Those who believe that the umpires cheat are more likely to be flat-earther types

Conspiracy theorists who delight in jumping the almighty shark any time a free kick is paid against their little army (their sporting team)

I'd like to see the evidence of the cheating  and therefore the sound reasoning on why umpires cheat

But there is no evidence, never was and probably never will be.  And the sport is over 160 years old

The umpires just pay free kicks as they see them ... and it's nothing personal.  In a sport where it's impossible to get all the umpiring decisions right (grey areas)

You can throw up free kick counts, the mentality of the mob (and all other such nonsense) but that will not change anything