Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 01 vs Western Bulldogs

Demonland

4 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

I don't think anyone should be surprised if we lose.

How much of Demonland goes on about drinking bathwater, particularly after we lost to Carlton?

We're coming up against arguably the best side in it other than us (if not the best side in it full stop), it's a new season in which 2021 doesn't stand for too much, and we'll be missing at least two best 22 players from our backline.

We can be disappointed with a loss, but no one should be surprised if we drop a game to a fellow 2022 flag contender.

What do you base this on? 

I can not believe they are still going on about that song! It's one thing to get inside the oppositions' heads, it's another when they seem hellbent on keeping us in there. 

I hope we put them to the sword on Wednesday.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Shark Fin Inn’s my favourite yum cha in the city if you want to mix it up. Pricier than the cheap ones but less than the high end ones, and the quality to match. 

The CBD pubs are all a bit ordinary IMO. Y+J’s is a classic but the atmosphere is very hampered by the train tunnel construction. The Duke does a solid job but isn’t anything special. Garden State is cool enough if you’re keen to be trendy. The Imperial is a soccer pub at heart but if the weather holds off the rooftop is nice and might be my pick.

Personally I’d be tempted to invest $10 and 10 minutes on a train or uber to Richmond. Have a little crawl from the Swan, public house or Harlow if the roof tops are open for a great CBD view, the Richmond club, the Posty and then most of all the London Tavern before the traditional short walk to the ground. Just don’t look in the windows at the Royal.

Alternatively if you want to score some points for being cultured you could take 10 minutes there and back to Fitzroy. The Rose, the Standard, the Builders Arms are decent options and people watching the hipsters beats the CBD crowd.

Thanks DS I will look into those. 

12 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

Hardtack, online it looks like that placed is closed unfortunately. We plan on looking for the Yum Cha place we found in 2018. Hopefully that has survived the covid shutdowns.

Two 'happy' gentlemen overheard us looking for Yum Cha and pointed out what they said was the best Yum Cha in Melbourne. I can't verify that claim but it was really really good. A search through old bank statements says it was the Dragon Boat, and it appears to still be open 😊

That’s very sad news. We haven’t been down to Melbourne since COVID hit, so I hadn’t realised that it had closed. Hope you enjoy whatever place you end up going to.

1 minute ago, hardtack said:

That’s very sad news. We haven’t been down to Melbourne since COVID hit, so I hadn’t realised that it had closed. Hope you enjoy whatever place you end up going to.

Keep some hope, it said closed temporarily   but so do a lot of places unfortunately. 

It's sad losing good places you enjoy. Like we just lost our favourite places on Eagle St Peir in Brisbane. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Other than Libba (and faux tough guy Daniels) they don't have anyone who shows much aggro.  We have May, Salem, Viney, Spargo, Picket who tackle with intent and to inflict some damage. 

Viney...daylight...Salem, May etc 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Alternatively if you want to score some points for being cultured you could take 10 minutes there and back to Fitzroy. The Rose, the Standard, the Builders Arms are decent options and people watching the hipsters beats the CBD crowd.

Don't forget the Napier, many happy post Melbourne victory beers there. The Rose and the Builders are also gold. Is a very nice walk from the G.

• Like 1

Been DYING to wear my premiership gurnsey to a game. Really don’t want to get rained on though 

10 hours ago, whatwhat say what said:

all this fuss over a naff bit of eurodisco trash from the 90s...

I must admit I didn’t know the song at all until I searched for it today. It’s not good, and certainly not worthy of a feud (if that’s what it is).

• Like 3

Messaging from the two coaches is interesting.

Beveridge:  has invoked Marxist heroes Che Guevara and Rosa Luxemburg, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and Indigenous humanitarian Shirley Coleen Smith, to help the club become a consistent force. 

Talk about being ambiguous...

Goodwin:  I don't know his motivational theme this year.  But last year it was a simple:  'This is Me' which he and Gawn lived and breathed setting the example for the team.  The team played with purpose and clarity of roles, system etc.  If Goodwin chooses a new theme this year I would think it would be just as simple and relatable.

As an aside, the AFL has adopted the theme 'This is Us' for 2022.  They aren't using the soundtrack from The Greatest Showman like Goodwin did  in their promos but to me it looks like a leaf out of Goodwin's book.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Messaging from the two coaches is interesting.

Beveridge:  has invoked Marxist heroes Che Guevara and Rosa Luxemburg, as well as Mahatma Gandhi and Indigenous humanitarian Shirley Coleen Smith, to help the club become a consistent force. 

Talk about being ambiguous...

You never know, there could be method to his madness there. After such a devastating loss it would be hard for them to move past it and easy to become obsessed with that one game. I wonder if he's deliberately chosen to put a lot into their minds before the season as a way of distracting from it? Would be exhausting for them trying run off revenge all year.

• Like 1

Seriously I can’t believe the Dogs are still going on about that song. Are they going to be annoyed about every bloody team singing it? It’s common for teams all around the world to sing it in celebration, that they feel like it’s been “stolen” by us just to rub it in their faces is pathetic and childish. If I was a dogs fan I’d be totally miffed by it thinking, “is the fact that we got destroyed after half time in the grand final not motivation enough?”

We don’t need to do a thing to get in their heads, we’re already there. 

I’m getting super pumped for this Wednesday now, this will be my first live H&A match since 2018. 

Edited by Pates

Only song that mattered after the GF siren was “A grand old flag”. Trying to build ‘motivation’ around a stolen song should be embarrassing after giving up 100 points to 7 in a half of footy.  Let them focus on being angry, we focus on winning.  Lets see which one works.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

1) You never know, there could be method to his madness there. After such a devastating loss it would be hard for them to move past it and easy to become obsessed with that one game.

2) I wonder if he's deliberately chosen to put a lot into their minds before the season as a way of distracting from it? Would be exhausting for them trying run off revenge all year.

1) So they can worry about their silly song instead?

2) His team are mostly kids who are into music, fun etc, not philosophy students.  Not sure I've heard of coaches filling player minds with achievements of a host of well known 'leaders', simultaneously.  The mantra most heard from coaches and players is "Keep It Simple'! 

But if it works for them, great.  I just couldn't help notice the difference in coaching approaches.

30 minutes ago, Clint Bizkit said:

I for the life of can’t work out why the media narrative isn’t about the Bulldogs over-celebrating the preliminary final.

That should be the story, we were even accused of over-celebrating the round 23 win over Geelong which resulted in us winning the minor premiership!

Couldn’t agree more on this, our players were pumped but didn’t celebrate like it was over. Rather the whole club made it abundantly clear that job was far from over. (I vaguely remember there was some chatter about that as well from some commentators saying our club didn’t let them enjoy it enough! 🙄)

• Like 1

Just now, Lucifers Hero said:

1) So they can worry about their silly song instead?

2) His team are mostly kids who are into music, fun etc, not philosophy students.  Not sure I've heard of coaches filling player minds with achievements of a host of well known 'leaders', simultaneously.  The mantra most heard from coaches and players is "Keep It Simple'! 

But if it works for them, great.  I just couldn't help notice the difference in coaching approaches.

Haha yeah the song thing is getting ridiculous hey!

We don't know exactly how he presented it, did you think Goody 'filled the young kids heads with show tunes' last year? My point is, Bevo is a smart operator, he'd be looking for a way to make them move on from obsessing over that loss, perhaps that whole thing is his way of doing it. I don't think it said anywhere their 'theme' for the year is all of those things you mentioned did it?

1 minute ago, Lord Nev said:

Haha yeah the song thing is getting ridiculous hey!

We don't know exactly how he presented it, did you think Goody 'filled the young kids heads with show tunes' last year? My point is, Bevo is a smart operator, he'd be looking for a way to make them move on from obsessing over that loss, perhaps that whole thing is his way of doing it. I don't think it said anywhere their 'theme' for the year is all of those things you mentioned did it?

It was at their season launch, I haven't looked for the video but the launch discussion is here:  how-we-want-to-be-seen-bulldogs-backing-the-bevolution

The quote I posted a few posts back was verbatim from that article.  To me it sounded like it would be their their theme.

6 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

It was at their season launch, I haven't looked for the video but the launch discussion is here:  how-we-want-to-be-seen-bulldogs-backing-the-bevolution

The quote I posted a few posts back was verbatim from that article.  To me it sounded like it would be their their theme.

The theme seems to be "start a revolution".

The other things are just things he referenced in his speech: "Beveridge referenced some of the world’s greatest problems such as the recovery effort from COVID, climate change and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine."

“On a more football-centric scale our Bulldogs revolutionary intent is to establish ourselves as a benchmark of the competition over a sustained period of time and through this generating a groundswell of support that challenges the highest memberships in the competition, broadcasters of the game and nurtures partnerships with existing and potential people and entities.”

“I can say that I have great confidence in the fact we have exceptional people who are searching for their own personal power and their own capacity to firstly make the choice and take up the challenge for our club and secondly to be someone we can rely on to be first-class citizens and influence society in the way our community foundation does."

Beveridge plots revolutionary road for Bulldogs

Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

Edited by Lord Nev

41 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

The theme seems to be "start a revolution".

The other things are just things he referenced in his speech: "Beveridge referenced some of the world’s greatest problems such as the recovery effort from COVID, climate change and Russia’s invasion of Ukraine."

“On a more football-centric scale our Bulldogs revolutionary intent is to establish ourselves as a benchmark of the competition over a sustained period of time and through this generating a groundswell of support that challenges the highest memberships in the competition, broadcasters of the game and nurtures partnerships with existing and potential people and entities.”

“I can say that I have great confidence in the fact we have exceptional people who are searching for their own personal power and their own capacity to firstly make the choice and take up the challenge for our club and secondly to be someone we can rely on to be first-class citizens and influence society in the way our community foundation does."

Beveridge plots revolutionary road for Bulldogs

Doesn't seem too crazy to me.

I don't have an issue with Bevo giving that message to the club nor the message he gave players which I quoted in my first post. 

For the 3rd time: I was comparing approaches by the two coaches.  Complex and ambiguous vs KIS.

I'm out on this topic.

Edited by Lucifers Hero
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

I don't have an issue with what Bevo giving that message to the club nor the message he gave players which I quoted in my first post. 

For the 3rd time: I was comparing approaches by the two coaches.  Complex and ambiguous vs KIS.

I'm out on this topic.

Agree to disagree. Didn't mean to start an argument mate.