Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Practice Match vs North Melbourne

Demonland

On 2/25/2022 at 9:23 AM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I wasn't really that surprised at all.  If you look at how we've approached practice matches under Burgess, the empahsis is on approaching it as if it were a home and away match and not about excessively rotating players to ease them into things.  I forget what the squad numbers are for practice games, but as far as the MFC is concerned, it's almost as if it a squad of 22 players and additional emergencies to avoid risks with niggles and injuries that develop during the game, that you would take during the home and away, but not a practice match for no points.  Players not fit enough to run out the 4 quarters, don't play starting 22 or even make the squad.

While I think there is a desire from our supporters (myself included) to see others given a go at the top level to see where they're at, that's not the priority of our coaching group who are in the mindset and process of fine tuning the team for Rd 1 already.  Absolutely love where we are at in this respects - win Rd 1, get on a roll and set up our season like last year.  No more 0W, 3L or 1W, 4L starts to the season that have us scraping just to make finals from Rd 6 onwards.

Tne commentators mentioned at the start of the game that the original intention had been to have 6 periods of 20 mins (no time on) but gastro, I think, and maybe other injuries had affected both teams so they agreed to play 4 x 25 mins.

The Collingwood-Hawthorn game was six periods, for example.

If the game had been 6 periods,  I imagine we would have played every fit player by the end of the day. Players like Weeds,  Bedford, Hunt et al  as well as our new recruits would have all got a decent run in periods 5 and 6. I think this is we we should generally try to do for the first practice game - play the best team for 3-4 quarters and bring on all the fringe for the end. Then practice game 2 is best 23.

• Like 3

On 2/24/2022 at 9:45 PM, DeeSpencer said:

His defensive pressure was excellent but he was tentative and poor at the contest and didn’t get much ball. He’s so good he only needs to do one or the other to contribute but he certainly wasn’t at his best 

What a load of bollocks

other players got the ball because of what Pickett did. 

• Like 8

On 2/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, titan_uranus said:

I don't envisage us playing a single game this year with all of May, Lever, Petty and Tomlinson.

IMO, it's one of Petty and Tomlinson for the third tall. 

What odds you got for me?

very happily back that all 4 will play together for at least 1 game:- with the condition that they may not all play in the backline. 

• Like 2

On 2/26/2022 at 12:23 PM, Jontee said:

Must have showed up Goody too as he left Smith on Cameron for most of the last 3 quarters.  In that time Cameron kicked 2.1, one of the goals from a free kick and had about 5 touches

They love Smith but he has limitations. 

And in the Brisbane game its not as though they had a lot of choice to move him elsewhere.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

And in the Brisbane game its not as though they had a lot of choice to move him elsewhere.

Total bollocks.

In fact Smith's flexibility is one reason 'they love' Smith. 

He could have taken any of their forwards - tall, medium or small. 

Hell, he would have thrashed Daniher. 

As an example of his flexibility, he didn't take a small or medium against the Roos in the practice match. he played as key defender and thrashed Zuhar, who was playing as a key forward. 

• Like 4
  • Thinking 1

Agree Smith is judged too harshly here.  Yes Charlie cameron kicked a bag on him but I don't know any player that would have done better.  

As binman says he gives us great flexibility with playing on all sizes.  Will be interesting because surely they can't go with May, Lever, Petty, Thomlinson - of them I'd only really back May on a smaller livewire forward but only if they are playing close to goal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, binman said:

Total bollocks.

In fact Smith's flexibility is one reason 'they love' Smith. 

He could have taken any of their forwards - tall, medium or small. 

Hell, he would have thrashed Daniher. 

As an example of his flexibility, he didn't take a small or medium against the Roos in the practice match. he played as key defender and thrashed Zuhar, who was playing as a key forward. 

Hibberd was on Zuhuar for a good chunk of the game and also thrashed him. 

Our entire defence thrashed North due to our complete dominance as an entire side. 

I wouldn't take too much out of Smith's individual performance in that game. I'd take almost none. 

• Like 4

We have the most effective and versatile defensive unit in recent memory who can play various team roles within the group, not individually one-on-one,  so to isolate one member for analysis and criticism is grossly unfair.

My preference is for a group of 7-8 who can play multiple roles as required on the day and who will support and back up the other members.

A group comprising May, Lever, Petty, Salem, Bowey, Hibberd, Tomlinson, Hunt, Rivers and Smith, playing team roles as assigned, seems to me to have the required versatility, discipline and skill to match and overcome any opposition forward line.

The real issue is how to fit them all into the same team. Gosh its tough being successful.

GO GOODY GO DEES

Edited by tiers
Readability
  • Like 3

Joel smith and Tomlinson might get plenty of games in that backline this year, and maybe in front of Petty and Hunt, or by resting Hibberd, or even ahead of Rivers.

Shoes how good our depth is.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

Agree Smith is judged too harshly here.  Yes Charlie cameron kicked a bag on him but I don't know any player that would have done better.  

As binman says he gives us great flexibility with playing on all sizes.  Will be interesting because surely they can't go with May, Lever, Petty, Thomlinson - of them I'd only really back May on a smaller livewire forward but only if they are playing close to goal.

Charlie Cameron kicked 5 on Smith.  He kicked 5 in a final against Geelong once, but beside that has kicked 17 goals in 11 finals. A couple of goals is about par, not 5 out of 9 team goals.

The Lions game showed up Smiths weakness. Smith positioning was poor and Cameron continually got goal side of him.

But Smith has not played many games, so can still learn, and has lots of upside. 

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

I wouldn't take too much out of Smith's individual performance in that game. I'd take almost none. 

I do.

But each to their own

I went, and watched  the replay for good measure, and thought he was super impressive.

In my opinion comfortably ahead of Tomlinson at this point.

Easy to forget he played in a semi final and would have almost certainly played in a prelim and grand final if not for his hammy nick

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

Charlie Cameron kicked 5 on Smith.  He kicked 5 in a final against Geelong once, but beside that has kicked 17 goals in 11 finals. A couple of goals is about par, not 5 out of 9 team goals.

The Lions game showed up Smiths weakness. Smith positioning was poor and Cameron continually got goal side of him.

But Smith has not played many games, so can still learn, and has lots of upside. 

Joel Smith is 11 cm taller than Cameron so from a height perspective, it was a poor match up. Smith was thrashed accordingly in that Brisbane final.

The coaching staff need to consider who can take on Cameron in the 2 and possibly 3 times we play the contending Brisbane this year. Next time we'll be up against more fire power in Hipwood (who destroyed us in 2019) and McStay for more than a quarter. Therefore another  4 or 5 goals by Cameron may be way more costly next time as Daniher, McStay and Hipwood may also hit the scoreboard as well. 

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, binman said:

I do.

But each to their own

I went, and watched  the replay for good measure, and thought he was super impressive.

Easy to forget he played in a semi final and would have almost certainly played in a prelim and grand final if not for his hammy nick

My mail is he would have played or at least been sub if May wasn't going into the GF with a grade 6 hammy issue.

We couldn't go in with two suspect hammy's even if Smith's was graded much better at the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, binman said:

I do.

But each to their own

Why would have Smithy been reselected vs Geelong after his very average effort vs Cameron with 5 goals out of 10 in the QF being kicked on him. 

I am considering his improved Adelaide and Geelong  match form snd his gradual improvement in footy nous/smarts starting with none really to a team ability now to adapt much better. But the memory of Charlie C  running Smith ragged ( and was far too fast) in that first quarter is scary.

I think also Binman you are leaning to Smith because you know that Goody likes him and has had his way in the past ie Vs Eagles in 2018 Prelim Final. That was a disaster selection although it didn't lose us the game.

What if also Petty was not injured would you still be favouring him over Smith?

Does One med/good  practice game with no pressure on plus 2 reasonable rounds 22 and 23 plus a horrible QF overrule 6 good AFL  games and a block of excellent training plus good reset game and confidence booster after nearly 12 mths out of the game. ?

Notice it's only Tommo you are gunning for as Hibbo Riv and Bowser appear to be locks like Salo Rick  and Maysie.

Its not a major issue but placing Smith as far ahead of Tommo is not what PK has advised at training and my points above are still valid re Tommo or Smithy.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Joel Smith is 11 cm taller than Cameron so from a height perspective, it was a poor match up. Smith was thrashed accordingly in that Brisbane final.

The coaching staff need to consider who can take on Cameron in the 2 and possibly 3 times we play the contending Brisbane this year. Next time we'll be up against more fire power in Hipwood (who destroyed us in 2019) and McStay for more than a quarter. Therefore another  4 or 5 goals by Cameron may be way more costly next time as Daniher, McStay and Hipwood may also hit the scoreboard as well. 

Agree with both of you 

45 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

PS We beat Lionswih Hipwood and I  think McStay in Sydney earlier in the year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, binman said:

I do.

But each to their own

Binman love your views, but might be worth going back and watching tommo’s form pre doing his knee last year!  Lost 0 1-on-1’s in total games to that point. 

Tommo is km’s ahead of Smith :- only question is whether he will need to ease back into things post his acl. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Smith was off the ground for one of Charlie’s goals and another was when Rivers missed a handball and gave it straight to Charlie. 
So let’s at least judge Smith realistically. 

Would that have happened with Tommo ? On the ground?   Need  a smaller more nimble opponent actually on Charlie rather than Smith  who is not smart enough or fast enough! 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Thinking 1

4 minutes ago, Baghdad Bob said:

Smith was off the ground for one of Charlie’s goals and another was when Rivers missed a handball and gave it straight to Charlie. 
So let’s at least judge Smith realistically. 

Correct thanks for providing some clarity - The Rivers one was a shocker and btw when trying to chase Cameron down after he was gifted the ball in the clear it was Smith that made up most ground - not Rivers

I'm a fan of Rivers but you can't just look at the number of goals kicked you have to analyse how each happened  

• Like 2