Jump to content

  • Podcast:      

  • Podcast:     

Angus Brayshaw Re-Signs Until 2028


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, layzie said:

Still so proud of the game that Gus displayed on Fri night. Goes hard on 50-50s and usually comes up trumps!

Yep one of our best in 50/50 contests which is huge. IMO it is the second most important component to winning games (behind applying pressure to the oppo).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



Podcast was good viewing and some fun questions. I got the feeling tensions were a bit high at the time he revealed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, DEE fence said:

Podcast was good viewing and some fun questions. I got the feeling tensions were a bit high at the time he revealed.

Interesting that he said the deal wasn't confirmed until around 24h before the announcement. Would have thought it would have been organised well ahead of time

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Is it just me or is it since that Gus re-signed he's spending all game in the midfield now?  

Or is it just due to Salem returning to the HBF and JJ filling a wing role adequately?

I can't imagine anyone ever putting clauses in their contracts for certain roles or positions but it's interesting that since around the time of re-signing, he's spent a lot more time in the guts hunting the pill.

Just a lazy 38 touches and 12 clearances against the blues and averaging well over 30 over the last 4 weeks.

Not a bad month coming into September.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

Is it just me or is it since that Gus re-signed he's spending all game in the midfield now?  

Or is it just due to Salem returning to the HBF and JJ filling a wing role adequately?

I can't imagine anyone ever putting clauses in their contracts for certain roles or positions but it's interesting that since around the time of re-signing, he's spent a lot more time in the guts hunting the pill.

Just a lazy 38 touches and 12 clearances against the blues and averaging well over 30 over the last 4 weeks.

Not a bad month coming into September.

 

I agree that it's interesting, we'll never know though. It may have been a plan to throw him in the mix at some point and the contract was just a side show that happened to be going on. 

Loved his game on Sat night, reads it so well and always positions himself well to win the footy. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, layzie said:

I agree that it's interesting, we'll never know though. It may have been a plan to throw him in the mix at some point and the contract was just a side show that happened to be going on. 

Loved his game on Sat night, reads it so well and always positions himself well to win the footy. 

Another very good game from Gus. Excellent reading of the play and is very composed under pressure.
 

 Just needs to tidy up some of his disposal which let him down.  55% disposal efficiency.  12 turnovers.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Another very good game from Gus. Excellent reading of the play and is very composed under pressure.
 

 Just needs to tidy up some of his disposal which let him down.  55% disposal efficiency.  12 turnovers.  

Gus has been a gun all year. He really is a very good footballer. I am happy we have signed him up. 

His move into the midfield has meant that Trac has moved a bit more forward of the ball and im not sure whether that is working just yet. Still think Trac, Clayton, Viney and Gawn is the right formula. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Deeko2 said:

Is it just me or is it since that Gus re-signed he's spending all game in the midfield now?  

Or is it just due to Salem returning to the HBF and JJ filling a wing role adequately?

I can't imagine anyone ever putting clauses in their contracts for certain roles or positions but it's interesting that since around the time of re-signing, he's spent a lot more time in the guts hunting the pill.

Just a lazy 38 touches and 12 clearances against the blues and averaging well over 30 over the last 4 weeks.

Not a bad month coming into September.

 

Goody said they were waiting for an opportunity to put him in the midfield for a while, then Harmes had his concussion. Coincidently that lined up exactly with the contract signing. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

And 12 turnovers...

Yep I am not a massive fan of Gus as an inside mid, because he racks them up but he isn't damaging.

He is far more damaging as half back, but I understand that we have a plethora of players who can slot into that role

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Another very good game from Gus. Excellent reading of the play and is very composed under pressure.
 

 Just needs to tidy up some of his disposal which let him down.  55% disposal efficiency.  12 turnovers.  

He is a good ball user when provided time and space, but if you're a clearance player you're DE is going to suffer a lot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

He is a good ball user when provided time and space, but if you're a clearance player you're DE is going to suffer a lot. 

Averaging nearly 8 turnovers a game since going into the midfield.

For comparison, Viney and Oliver lead us for average turnovers this year, both average just over 5 a game.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm concerned that Brayshaw's increased midfield time has come at the expense of Petracca. And we're certainly not getting better outcomes from centre clearances. I'd much rather see Brayshaw taking wing time away from Jordon.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, poita said:

I'm concerned that Brayshaw's increased midfield time has come at the expense of Petracca. And we're certainly not getting better outcomes from centre clearances. I'd much rather see Brayshaw taking wing time away from Jordon.

Agree with this. The mix in the middle has not been as good with him taking trac's time, and we look less balanced like in past years when he was predominantly a mid. I feel we maximise our overall team performance by playing him off hbf or wing. He clearly racks up touches in the middle and can read it well, but turns it over regularly or otherwise often puts it in a bad positions for others - whereas from hbf or wing I feel he usually uses the ball very well.

The midfield time splits are a good problem to have though!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Averaging nearly 8 turnovers a game since going into the midfield.

For comparison, Viney and Oliver lead us for average turnovers this year, both average just over 5 a game.

Bit of a shame, maybe more half forward/mid/wing would work better because he can kick well off both feet. We have enough ball winners with less flexibility. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lord Nev said:

Averaging nearly 8 turnovers a game since going into the midfield.

For comparison, Viney and Oliver lead us for average turnovers this year, both average just over 5 a game.

Gus is obviously under more pressure when delivering as a mid than in his other roles. This is clearly shown when you compare this figure (7.7 av) with  his season average per game for turnovers of 4.9. (Oliver’s is 5.5, Viney 5.32 and Trac 4.71 for comparison). (Footywire stats)

Hopefully his disposal under pressure will improve with the more mid time he plays, because, although he has only played 3 games as a mid, his average clearance rate is 7.0 per game. To put that into perspective, the leading clearance king in the AFL this year is Oliver with a game average of 8.55. (Trac has an average of 4.71and Viney’s average is 4.95 per game). While Gus has been in the middle, Oliver’s clearance average has marginally dropped to 8.25 (from 8.55), viney’s has increased from 4.95 to 6.67 while Trac has dropped from 4.71 to 4.0. We have also won the clearances in our last 3 games - 138 to 120 in total. 

Therefore to take Gus away from his mid role - with suggestions being made that he should go back to the wing - would be doing us and our clearance rate a great disservice based on these stats.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gus moving into the midfield has allowed Salem to return to his role and I believe we’re a better unit for it.  Personally, I’d prefer Gus back to his wing at the expense of JJ, but it’s hard to argue with the numbers he’s getting in the midfield.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Gus needs to play to his limitations a little bit more to be more damaging.

I thought his game was one of the most ineffectual 38 possession 10+ clearance games you'll see, because most of the time he won clearances, he would try a dinky little pass ahead of the ball. 

I'd much prefer him go long from clearance and get it deep quickly. He is a penetrating kick on either side of his body, but he's an ordinary kick between 15-35m IMO. This is where he usually turns it over.

He's a smart player and courageous, so he needs to go long quickly from clearance and it'll give our forwards a better chance and he'll have far more impact on the game.

Edited by A F
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wasn't the best 38 disposal game by any stretch, but most clearances on the ground, high metres gained, and doing a job successfully on Cripps is worthy of praise and a key reason we won.

His move further up the ground has been a good one for us. Our defense has been more balanced, and our midfield has another weapon. Since his move into the midfield 3 weeks ago, we've played some of our best footy for the season.

Keep it up Gus!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Gus is obviously under more pressure when delivering as a mid than in his other roles. This is clearly shown when you compare this figure (7.7 av) with  his season average per game for turnovers of 4.9. (Oliver’s is 5.5, Viney 5.32 and Trac 4.71 for comparison). (Footywire stats)

Hopefully his disposal under pressure will improve with the more mid time he plays, because, although he has only played 3 games as a mid, his average clearance rate is 7.0 per game. To put that into perspective, the leading clearance king in the AFL this year is Oliver with a game average of 8.55. (Trac has an average of 4.71and Viney’s average is 4.95 per game). While Gus has been in the middle, Oliver’s clearance average has marginally dropped to 8.25 (from 8.55), viney’s has increased from 4.95 to 6.67 while Trac has dropped from 4.71 to 4.0. We have also won the clearances in our last 3 games - 138 to 120 in total. 

Therefore to take Gus away from his mid role - with suggestions being made that he should go back to the wing - would be doing us and our clearance rate a great disservice based on these stats.
 

Yeah he has absolutely been handy in clearances, I'm not having a crack at him as a player at all, but as with a lot of our high stats the numbers can often be misleading compared to the quality - our inside 50s are similar in that way.

Personally, I don't think we have to dominate clearances to win, it's more about the quality of those clearances and what we do with them. To be clear, not just talking about Gus, I think all our centre mids have work to do on not just bypassing half forward when we're going inside 50.

That feeds into why I think we'd be better with Gus on the wing. Sure our clearance numbers are up but that's also coincided with a dip in our inside 50 efficiency, so I'd be keen to see some numbers around all that. What seems obvious atm, is that our 'defensive wing' is a weakness. I love JJ, but he doesn't read the play anywhere near as well as Gus does, Gus is absolutely elite at that. Not sure what other options we could try there, but we won a flag with Gus playing an important role on the wing so it seems the obvious choice IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MrFreeze said:

He is a good ball user when provided time and space, but if you're a clearance player you're DE is going to suffer a lot. 

Saturday night he botched a simple kick to Salem - went over his head - when under no pressure at all. Led soon after to a Carlton goal. Terrific player - yes. But he undoes a lot of his good work.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Lord Nev said:

 

Personally, I don't think we have to dominate clearances to win, it's more about the quality of those clearances and what we do with them. To be clear, not just talking about Gus, I think all our centre mids have work to do on not just bypassing half forward when we're going inside 50.

It’s interesting you say that because while that is technically true, Collingwood is the only game I believe where we have won the clearances but lost the game. Other than that, every time we’ve won the clearances we’ve won the game. So on that basis, I’d much prefer to win the clearances than not. 

However I don’t disagree that he would also be an improvement on JJ on the wing. He’s also a better backman than one or two down there. He is just a great all rounder ( whose disposal could be better). 
The coaching staff obviously need to work out where he is of most benefit to the team. At the moment they believe that is as a mid. I did notice that he started one of the quarters last week on the wing, but he returned to the middle after the next goal.

As an aside, I was interested to look at average turnovers against average disposals per game for a number of our main players this year, and was surprised by the results. Gawn and Sparrow have the worst averages, with 22% of their disposals being classified as turnovers. The lowest, surprisingly to me, was Oliver with 16% turnovers, and Trac next with 17%. Gus 19% and Viney and ANB at 20%. Not sure how this compares with other teams, but if a fifth of our disposals result in turnovers, that seems like something to work on to me.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    BLUE VIBE AT IKON by Meggs

    It was such a nice vibe at Ikon on Friday night.     Princes Park looked in excellent condition, a relaxed but modest crowd and President Kate Roffey and CEO Gary Pert in attendance, greeting fans and shaking hands.     It was an evening with little to complain about for Dees supporters, save for some drizzling rain, a few missed scoring opportunities and the fact that the Dees as raging favourites duly took the four points.   Carlton was always going to struggle to cover

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BLUES AWAY by Meggs

    This Round 5 clash against the Blues at Princes Park (officially known as Ikon Park) is a great chance for the Dees to bounce back to the winning circle following our top-of-the-table loss to Brisbane last week.     Carlton will be missing several key players with the pundits calling 10 to nil.  Raging favouritism is never a comfortable thing for Melbourne supporters but we simply must deliver on Friday night.   History has seen these teams play four times since 2017 with the Dee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LIONS POUNCE by Meggs

    Early Sunday afternoon Meggs was coffeeing in Mornington and witnessing hail, thunder, lightning, rain, wind and feeling the freezing temperatures and knowing all these elements were heading towards Casey Fields.  Oh dear.  The Brisbane coach had said during the week that he wanted the game moved to Marvel because “if you're going to have two of the better teams in the comp playing, (it warrants) a venue and deck that suits the occasion”.  However, Casey Fields was uncharacteristi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RAINING PREMIERS by KC from Casey

    If the threatening dark grey skies that loomed above Ikon Park before the VFL Grand Final didn’t provide a sufficiently inhospitable reception for our visitors from sunny Queensland, the rains that bucketed down after quarter time certainly did. For years, the Casey Demons have welcomed opposing teams at their home fortress with rain, hail, wind and frosty conditions and it was just Southport’s luck that they met those conditions head on in the VFL’s big dance. They suited Casey’s skillful

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PRIDE OF VICTORIA by KC from Casey

    When Casey Demons coach Mark Corrigan talks about his charges putting their “best foot forward” on Sunday when they take on the Southport Sharks in the 2022 VFL Grand Final, it’s a signal that his team is on a mission not only for themselves but in  the name of their forebears, the Springvale Scorpions, and indeed for the pride and honour of the entire State of Victoria. The VFL club now known as the Casey Demons last won a premiership flag under the name of the Springvale Scorpions but tha

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NARRM AT HOME by Meggs

    For the fourth consecutive week, and the second week as the mighty Narrm, we take on a Top 8 team. Could this match be a preview of the Season 7 Grand Final?   Our opponents this week, Brisbane, stand undefeated atop the AFLW ladder after slaying the struggling Freo, and the unrated Giants and Gold Coast.  After amassing 225 points for and only 56 against, for a percentage of 401.8%, the pundits are claiming the Lions have the best attack the competition has ever seen.   Brisbane

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CHANGES 2022 by The Oracle

    Part 1: The year we stood still (or did we?).  Premiership coach David Parkin who  coincidentally turned 80 yesterday, famously used to say that even a premiership team needs to bring at least five new players into the fold in order to advance from year to year and therefore, if this adage remains true, then the Melbourne Football Club really did stand still in 2022.  Of the players recruited after the club’s premiership in September, 2021, only Luke Dunstan (5 games) managed to provid

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    NARRM BLITZES EARLY by Meggs

    The last time we played the Saints, Pride Round 3 January 2022, it was an arm wrestle for 3 quarters and a Demons highlights package for 1 quarter. Oddly familiar was our outing to Moorabbin on Sunday, except this week we are Narrm and it’s Indigenous Round.   Our highlights package was contained to a first quarter onslaught. Superior work at stoppages and our mids dominant.  We showcased our run and carry and our dynamic forward line.  With Hore, Zanker twice, Bannan, Fitzsimon and Paxy al

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE CASEY SHOW by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons will play in the VFL Grand Final at Ikon Park next Sunday after overturning their final round loss to the Brisbane Lions Reserves and dominating the Preliminary Final to emerge victorious by 51 points.  And while the distance in standards between the AFL and VFL at finals time is admittedly a wide one and the opposition and conditions different, there were a few Demons on display who excelled to the point where one was left to ask whether they could have made the difference

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...