Jump to content

  • Podcast:  

  • Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Angus Brayshaw Re-Signs Until 2028


Demonland
 Share


Recommended Posts

The other lens to this i think we cannot look past is the pressure it then puts on MFC to let LJ go in order to keep Brayshaw. Others have mentioned a conflict of interest here given it’s the same player manager and perhaps a ploy by Freo and the management company to give them some advantage in negotiations.
 

If that was ever the case, and I wouldn’t past player managers to sink this low, I’d be absolutely filthy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, daisycutter said:

in caps

I know you're not in the habit of using them, but capital letters are very important dc.

It's the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

  • Like 5
  • Haha 24
  • Shocked 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Player managers must sometimes drown in conflicts of interest.  I wonder if they have any code of ethics  to cover cases like the Brayshaw/Jackson one.  (rhetorical wondering I fear)    It's not just a simple case of doing their best for each player independently.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sue said:

Player managers must sometimes drown in conflicts of interest.  I wonder if they have any code of ethics  to cover cases like the Brayshaw/Jackson one.  (rhetorical wondering I fear)    It's not just a simple case of doing their best for each player independently.

i think their code of ethics is also referred to as their bank account

  • Like 4
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sue said:

Player managers must sometimes drown in conflicts of interest.  I wonder if they have any code of ethics  to cover cases like the Brayshaw/Jackson one.  (rhetorical wondering I fear)    It's not just a simple case of doing their best for each player independently.

I think it is a simple case.

Managers do talk to each other as well and have a fair idea what is happening around the clubs and if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be doing their job properly.

If he knows Jacko is leaving, he then gets the best price for Gus by the usual means, which includes interest from other clubs.

FWIW I think Jacko is clearly gone and Angus will stay for about a 5 year deal.

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Redleg said:

I think it is a simple case.

Managers do talk to each other as well and have a fair idea what is happening around the clubs and if they didn’t, they wouldn’t be doing their job properly.

If he knows Jacko is leaving, he then gets the best price for Gus by the usual means, which includes interest from other clubs.

FWIW I think Jacko is clearly gone and Angus will stay for about a 5 year deal.

I don't think it can be that simple Redleg.   Do they have ethical standards preventing them revealing to player A what may be a confidential matter about player B without clearing it with B first?   And what if he doesn't know Jacko is leaving (say) and that he;s probably staying? Does he tell Gus to ask for more money elsewhere - that leaking out may negatively affect Jacko's negotiations.    They really need independent managers in such cases.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Macca said:

And a pick around the 20 mark might deliver players such as Tapscott, Blease, Maric or Strauss (for a proven player like Brayshaw)

 

Hope you enjoy that little flashback, folks! haha

And a top 5 pick might get you a McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully or Trengove....

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, sue said:

I don't think it can be that simple Redleg.   Do they have ethical standards preventing them revealing to player A what may be a confidential matter about player B without clearing it with B first?   And what if he doesn't know Jacko is leaving (say) and that he;s probably staying? Does he tell Gus to ask for more money elsewhere - that leaking out may negatively affect Jacko's negotiations.    They really need independent managers in such cases.

Then you will need 800 managers, one for each player. Otherwise there is no way of stopping managers knowing things. Of course they do. They all talk to each other as well, as I said.

It is that simple.

The Manager doesn't have to tell Gus exactly what Jacko is doing, he just uses the info himself and tells Gus to leave it to him.

No Manager is going to go blurting to his clients what others get, unless it is public info.

They just get the deals done, all helped by inside info, which is part of their business skills.

Say a Manager has 4 players at one club and they all tell him the Coach is hopeless, obviously he would use that info to steer other clients away from that club.That is part of the job and nothing wrong with it.

 

Edited by Redleg
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


14 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And a top 5 pick might get you a McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully or Trengove....

Which is why I would want a regular 22 player for us as part of any deal, plus a high pick and steak knives, like maybe Meek.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And a top 5 pick might get you a McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully or Trengove....

What a mightmare it turned out to be ... hard to believe that we didn't unearth 1 topliner with all those picks in the top 20

I accept the whole development angle and we weren't a greatly run club (prior to AFL intervention ... PJ & Roos) but you'd reckon that at least a couple of players could have shone through (?)

And then in steps JT turning draft picks into gold.  A big attribute of his has been his ability to turn 1st & 2nd round picks into solid talent (and premiership players)

Brown, Langdon, Hibberd, Melksham, Tomlinson, May, Lever all came to the club using draft picks that would have otherwise been used on 18yo's

As well as of course drafting 18yo's that have turned up trumps ... Oliver, Brayshaw, Petracca, Jackson, Kossie, Rivers, Bowey, Salem and various others

JT is a real success story and we have a lot to thank him for

But I highly doubt he'd be happy if we only ended up with pick 19 for Brayshaw

And I'm with Redleg, we won't be losing him

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Redleg said:

Then you will need 800 managers, one for each player. Otherwise there is no way of stopping managers knowing things. Of course they do. They all talk to each other as well, as I said.

It is that simple.

The Manager doesn't have to tell Gus exactly what Jacko is doing, he just uses the info himself and tells Gus to leave it to him.

No Manager is going to go blurting to his clients what others get, unless it is public info.

They just get the deals done, all helped by inside info, which is part of their business skills.

Say a Manager has 4 players at one club and they all tell him the Coach is hopeless, obviously he would use that info to steer other clients away from that club.That is part of the job and nothing wrong with it.

 

Of course 800 managers is impossible.  And everything you say is true.  But I still see the potential for conflicts of interest (without blurting).  So in the absence of 800 managers, any professional body should have  a code of ethics to manage that and minimise such conflicts.  I doubt player managers do (but of course I don't know).

edit to add:  Since managers presumably get a percentage of the players income, there is a conflict right there if they are representing 2 players in a Brayshaw/Jackson situtation. Unless of course  they have no incentive in maximising their own income.....

They might push Jackson to accept less from Freo  (without saying why) to enable Brashaw to get more out of MFC.  No reason to assume this would be financially neutral for the manager.    (For the purposes of saving DLand from litigation :)> I am not suggesting any naughty behaviour by their particular manager, just using those familiar names to make the general point.)

Edited by sue
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, sue said:

Of course 800 managers is impossible.  And everything you say is true.  But I still see the potential for conflicts of interest (without blurting).  So in the absence of 800 managers, any professional body should have  a code of ethics to manage that and minimise such conflicts.  I doubt player managers do (but of course I don't know).

edit to add:  Since managers presumably get a percentage of the players income, there is a conflict right there if they are representing 2 players in a Brayshaw/Jackson situtation. Unless of course  they have no incentive in maximising their own income.....

They might push Jackson to accept less from Freo  (without saying why) to enable Brashaw to get more out of MFC.  No reason to assume this would be financially neutral for the manager.    (For the purposes of saving DLand from litigation :)> I am not suggesting any naughty behaviour by their particular manager, just using those familiar names to make the general point.)

Sue, they do have a code of behaviour, but as in any business/profession, you just hope they are behaving honestly and ethically. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, COOLX said:

Brayshaw will be gone by years end.

long year to play out yet...

tbh he's not in my top ten most important players to our side; i'd have him behind all of may, salem, petracca, viney, lever, gawn, oliver, langdon, plugger mac. and fritsch

a very good player nevertheless

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And a top 5 pick might get you a McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully or Trengove....

I think their careers would have panned out differently if they arrived at MFC now.  All could play.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s nothing I have to go on with this but I think Gus will stay, LJ feels gone to me which hurts but he helped us break the drought so it’ll be hard to stay too mad at him (as long as we get good compensation). Gus always seems to show a passion for Melbourne that’s only met by Viney and Petracca, whether that translates into him staying I don’t know but I reckon he and his manager are doing what Viney did last year. Play the field to make sure they maximise the contract. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

And a top 5 pick might get you a McLean, Sylvia, Morton, Watts, Scully or Trengove....

I'd take a fit Trengove any day of the week.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 7/22/2022 at 9:28 AM, KingDingAling said:

Get Acres in the Jackson deal. If we lose Gus, send Acres to the wing and Jordon to fill Gus role down back. We don’t lose too much there. Get Meek in the Jackson deal also to back up Gawn in the ruck. 

Acres is a turnover merchant that St Kilda were happy to let go...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Left Foot Snap said:

I'd take a fit Trengove any day of the week.

Nah.

  • Shocked 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, Vineytime said:

 Bernie Vince said on triple M this morning he thinks Brayshaw will leave 🤦‍♂️

Wow. I don’t understand why Bradshaw and Jackson are even entertaining leaving the club - it’s all very bizarre to me.

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, A F said:

Nah.

You may be forgetting how good he was at the start before the dreaded foot settled in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Left Foot Snap said:

You may be forgetting how good he was at the start before the dreaded foot settled in.

No we're not.

Trengove was good, but it wasn't up to the standard and class of Brayshaw.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Demonland changed the title to Angus Brayshaw Re-Signs Until 2028

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GRAND NEW FLAG by Meggs

    Daisy was at pains to tell everyone who asked that the grand final story was NOT the Daisy Pearce story.  She wanted people to focus on the Melbourne Football Club, our wonderful players and non-playing teammates, her legacy buddy head coach Mick Stinear, the assistant coaches, the Club volunteers, the Board, the administrators, #DeeArmy, all supporters, in fact anyone who bleeds for the red and the blue.  But it is also a bit about the pioneer, role model, mother who is Daisy Pearce

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    EYES ON THE PRIZE by Meggs

    The Stinear/Pearce partnership has evolved over the 7 AFLW seasons and they have built a team with talented, committed footballers who play for each other and execute a highly entertaining brand of footy. On Sunday can a premiership be added to this legacy? This may well be the last time we see Daisy in the mighty red and blue as she contemplates her start date for a coaching role ‘Down at Kardinia Park’.  Last week’s sensational sealer in the Prelim showed everybody that Daisy could s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    DAISY’S DEMON DRIVE by Meggs

    On a blustery Saturday afternoon when the conditions affected marking skills and the ball bounced unpredictably, the Mighty Dees stuck fat against a determined Kangaroos outfit to break away with two final quarter goals to none to win AFLW Preliminary Final 2 by 17 points — an all-time high winning margin between these two teams.  From the outset it was a fiercely fought contest with Melbourne unable to find the ball in space. North really amped up their one-percenters an

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    NOT A MOMENT TO MISS by Meggs

    The AFLW Season 7 fixture was carefully crafted to purposely handicap the better teams and give the expansion and developing sides an easier draw.  Nonetheless, this weekend’s Preliminary Finals will showcase the Lions, Demons, Crows and Roos, teams widely accepted as the best 4 in the competition.   In Friday night’s Prelim 1 the minor premiers, Brisbane, will start warm favourites at home against Adelaide.   On Saturday afternoon at Ikon Park, Prelim 2 between Melbourne and North is

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STICK TO YOUR GUNS by Meggs

    The Dees convincingly overcome the fast-starting reigning-premiers Adelaide to win by 21 points in a fiery Qualifying Final match at Ikon Park on Friday evening.     In that first quarter Adelaide jumped out of the blocks kicking their first goal inside 20 seconds finishing with 3 goals to nil. All was quiet at Ikon Park.     Melbourne, having easily outplayed lesser opponents over the past six weeks took time to ratchet up their intensity.  But, by mid to late first quarter, the Dees be

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    HEAVYWEIGHTS by Meggs

    AFLW heavyweights Melbourne and Adelaide kick off the AFLW Season 7 Final Series with a massive Qualifying Final clash at Ikon Park this Friday night at 7:10pm.  The game promises to be a cracker.   Last season’s Grand Final combatants last met in Round 1where Melbourne came away with a strong 18-point victory at Glenelg Oval. The Dees will be hoping to replicate the result and move directly to the Preliminary Final.    While Adelaide may not have been as intimidating this season as in p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MISSED IT BY THAT MUCH by Meggs

    Congratulations to Daisy’s Dees on a huge 78-point one-sided win against West Coast in challenging windy and wet conditions at Casey Fields.     The banner celebrating Sarah Lampard’s 50 games was a victim of the wind, but nonetheless Lampy received a warm round of applause from the parochial crowd in attendance.   Melbourne has the double-chance and is excited about its chances in the Season 7 AFLW finals. If this means the Grand Final is played at Metricon and the Demond make it, then

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    LIVE IN THE MOMENT by Meggs

    The final home and away match of Season 7, sees the mighty Dees at Fortress Casey hosting the 16th placed West Coast.     A win assures the Dees of a Top-2 finish, with the ultimate placings dependent upon the previous night’s result between Brisbane and Collingwood and the relative percentages.   As our match is anticipated to be one-sided, interest may turn to monitoring the live ladder to see whether or not Melbourne has secured the minor premiership.     The Demons (Lions and Cro

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BOMBED by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne has all but assured itself of a top two finish to the (second) 2022 AFLW season after crushing Essendon by 41 points on Sunday. It now holds a four point lead over third placed Adelaide along with a handy percentage advantage with one round remaining before the finals. The Demons opened kicking with the advantage of the squally wind that often prevails at Casey Fields and for the third week in a row, they kept their opponents scoreless in the opening term. Speedster Alyssa Ba

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...