Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Angus Brayshaw Re-Signs Until 2028

Demonland

37 minutes ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Those comments from Hamish are getting lost in the discussion:

• Hamish thinks if we win another flag Gus will consider moving on.
  • If we don't win the flag his 'chip on the block' ie his ego, will want to make stay for another go.

So we aren't likely to get an answer until our season is over.  It also indicates he will do his all to win us another flag.

This question isn't for you BBP but does anyone really doubt his commitment?  Two flags then a chance to set himself up for life financially.  I wouldn't begrudge him that.

Before folks go too hard on Gus, remember Viney didn't renew his contract, after considering other offers until our season was over.  No one doubts Jack's leadership or commitment, altho if I went back to the threads of the day the dialogue would be much like this thread.

We are second on the ladder with finals around the corner, lets enjoy it. 

Did Viney jump on SEN after R19 (when 2nd on ladder, and in contention for a flag) and make sure every club out there is aware that if they promise him midfield time, and a decent contract he is willing to talk? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I’m willing to believe players will take 10-20% less, possibly a bit more if there’s bonus years, I doubt anyones leaving bulk cash on the table out of good will. 

It's not a black or white scenario either. There is a chance that he's willing to do that but he, his manager and the club are still trying to figure out what that exact figure is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, von said:

What an amazing resume you must have. Such a well listened gentleman. Along the journey of your Stirling academic and professional career did you come across the idea of  rational self interest? Gus has roughly 10 years to make as much as he can. If he can get an extra 100 grand a year for the next 5 years that does a lot for him in the next phase of his life. There is always a balance between loyalty and getting what you’re worth. Clarry and trac got what they are worth because they have to. They are top 5 league talent. It becomes a more complicated negotiation when you are the next tier down. We don’t know the details of any negotiations. All we are doing is implying things based on hopes and fears. Gus played the game of his life to help win us a flag. He can do what he wants after that. 

Thanks for the feedback von. I wish I could listen to more of your musings - I expect there’s a lot of rich and fascinating content to unlock there.

As I said, everyone has their own list of priorities. Brayshaw, and you, are entitled to your own priorities. But it doesn’t mean I have to respect them.

And, in my gentlemanly world, given that I expect Brayshaw would continue to be handsomely paid by the MFC if he elected to stay, $100k over 5 years is stuff all.

In my view, all you ultimately carry in life are relationships, stories and your own integrity - the rest is just noise. But many people are distracted by the noise, and unfortunately for many they just don’t get it until it’s too late. The narrative’s already written. It can’t be undone.

I hope Gus doesn’t undo his legacy here because of cash and his ego. He never struck me as this dude until recent months. I don’t know him, so I could be wrong, very wrong - perhaps he’s also being poorly advised. But I know enough to know that there’s more important things in life than money alone. I’m curious to know why he seems unable, or unwilling, to commit to a club which apparently really wants him to stay - a club in which he should hopefully have some serious affection for, and a relationship, with.

Anyway - in the meantime, stay classy von.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

If we do lose Brayshaw and LJ, we are going to have > $1M hole in the salary cap. We should then go after a gun KPF and lure him with the $$$. Whether it happens this year or next. Not some 29yo+ has been, but someone developed in his prime. i.e. King brothers, Curnow, McKay, Naughton ilk... no one is untouchable. We will have the trade picks to initiate a trade as well. 

• Like 10

17 hours ago, 1964_2 said:

It’s a tricky one. Salem, Trac, Oliver, Gawn, others have all accepted unders (vs the max offer they could get elsewhere), but maybe Gus feels like he is already sacrificing enough by not playing in his preferred position (inside mid).

Might be tough to solve, as the club will be wanting to show some consistency in not significantly revising offers higher, given the sacrifices already made by signed players. 

Good post, but it's only tricky from a cultural standpoint. If Gus leaving isn't going to drastically alter the fabric of the playing group and its culture, then he's expendable if we get something decent in return. In fact, to me that's a no brainer.

Sorry, them the breaks in modern footy. It's his prerogative to get the best deal for himself, just as it is the club's to maximise any opportunity in front of it to improve the list.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, CYB said:

If we do lose Brayshaw and LJ, we are going to have > $1M hole in the salary cap. We should then go after a gun KPF and lure him with the $$$. Whether it happens this year or next. Not some 29yo+ has been, but someone developed in his prime. i.e. King brothers, Curnow, McKay, Naughton ilk... no one is untouchable. We will have the trade picks to initiate a trade as well. 

Max King. To me, St Kilda have really stuffed up their list and unless they show significant improvement next year, you'd have to think King would be wondering if he'll ever play in a successful team. I know he grew up a St Kilda supporter, but you have to wonder...

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

6 minutes ago, A F said:

Good post, but it's only tricky from a cultural standpoint. If Gus leaving isn't going to drastically alter the fabric of the playing group and its culture, then he's expendable if we get something decent in return. In fact, to me that's a no brainer.

Sorry, them the breaks in modern footy. It's his prerogative to get the best deal for himself, just as it is the club's to maximise any opportunity in front of it to improve the list.

Good call. Don’t want Gus to leave, but also don’t want the club to revise our offer higher.

If he can get 700-800k as an inside mid at another club, go for it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, A F said:

Max King. To me, St Kilda have really stuffed up their list and unless they show significant improvement next year, you'd have to think King would be wondering if he'll ever play in a successful team. I know he grew up a St Kilda supporter, but you have to wonder...

Good luck with Max. He is contracted to 2026.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 1964_2 said:

Good call. Don’t want Gus to leave, but also don’t want the club to revise our offer higher.

If he can get 700-800k as an inside mid at another club, go for it. 

I don't want to lose Gus either, but he's a winger and a half back. There's a reason he can't get a game as an inside mid. 

If he overrates himself then I'd prefer we push him out. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Good luck with Max. He is contracted to 2026.

I should ask you the contractual status of anyone before I post, mate. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, A F said:

I don't want to lose Gus either, but he's a winger and a half back. There's a reason he can't get a game as an inside mid. 

he should read the jeremy howe story

coaches decide where someone plays, not players

• Like 14

33 minutes ago, A F said:

I agree. He last played meaningful minutes in the mid in 2019/2020 and was pushed out by our current mid combinations and we won a premiership. In 2019/20 he was part of the see ball get ball bees to the honeypot that exposed us . I've no doubt he can play good minutes as a mid in the AFL but that's not his best position in our team. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, CYB said:

Give them an offer they cannot refuse. 

With what though? Pick 14 from Jackson trade and a future first? Would you accept that for one of the best young key forwards and former pick 2 and 21 years old?
We have a poor draft hand to put forward, so unless we're giving them one of our young stars, then there's no hope they'll ever accept and let him go. 

The only way we can squeeze a King brother or the like out of another club is to snag a top 5 pick and pass it straight on, potentially with more.

49 minutes ago, A F said:

That's it. If he wants the new Zac Williams tag I'd rather it be somewhere else. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, adonski said:

Rate Brayshaw highly but if we can push him to a club with a good first round pick (Essendon) & force a trade, we should do it 

He can walk without a trade I thought? We just get compo relative to contract size.

Just now, praha said:

He can walk without a trade I thought? We just get compo relative to contract size.

Restricted free agent, we can match & force a trade, like how Geelong were forced to pay up for Jeremy Cameron after GWS elected to match the contract

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bates Mate said:

I agree. He last played meaningful minutes in the mid in 2019/2020 and was pushed out by our current mid combinations and we won a premiership. In 2019/20 he was part of the see ball get ball bees to the honeypot that exposed us . I've no doubt he can play good minutes as a mid in the AFL but that's not his best position in our team. 

And his defensive running was woeful. 

• Like 1

A forced trade can only happen if we match an offer ... and if we match the offer it might be $800k per year for multiple years.  Or more.  Who knows?

What if our club doesn't want to fork out that sort of money? Also, we might have an issue with fitting a larger salary into our salary cap

If we match an offer, Brayshaw could easily end up staying for the matched offer ... that play can't be ruled out

There's 17 other clubs and at least one of those clubs will be happy to pay overs for Brayshaw

A lot of the other clubs are short on talent as we once were (thus, the play for Lever, May, Clark etc)

The other part of the equation is whether Jackson stays or goes ... and we'd have a substantial amount of money put aside to pay LJ for next year and beyond

If Jackson goes, there's more money in the kitty for Brayshaw (if he can get it)

My gut feeling is that we've got our eye on some established talent elsewhere anyway ... like the Hogan/May scenario

We do need a key forward and another bona-fide ruckman (if Jackson goes)

But there's a lot we don't know about and I'm only speculating

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Thanks for the feedback von. I wish I could listen to more of your musings - I expect there’s a lot of rich and fascinating content to unlock there.

As I said, everyone has their own list of priorities. Brayshaw, and you, are entitled to your own priorities. But it doesn’t mean I have to respect them.

And, in my gentlemanly world, given that I expect Brayshaw would continue to be handsomely paid by the MFC if he elected to stay, $100k over 5 years is stuff all.

In my view, all you ultimately carry in life are relationships, stories and your own integrity - the rest is just noise. But many people are distracted by the noise, and unfortunately for many they just don’t get it until it’s too late. The narrative’s already written. It can’t be undone.

I hope Gus doesn’t undo his legacy here because of cash and his ego. He never struck me as this dude until recent months. I don’t know him, so I could be wrong, very wrong - perhaps he’s also being poorly advised. But I know enough to know that there’s more important things in life than money alone. I’m curious to know why he seems unable, or unwilling, to commit to a club which apparently really wants him to stay - a club in which he should hopefully have some serious affection for, and a relationship, with.

Anyway - in the meantime, stay classy von.

I’m just not sure why footballers owe us, the irrational and emotional supporters anything. The club and the league don’t show players loyalty, why do we expect it back. They are their own business/brand acting in a way that fits that description. In the world of modern sport the loyal athlete is the exception and the surprise. Him leaving doesn’t knock his integrity, it may create more and or better stories and relationships for himself, only he can figure that out. The future is unwritten. My values lie much closer to yours than what I am suggesting a modern athletes does but I am not an athlete with a short shelf life. It’s also easier to hold those values higher when you’ve lived a longer life, accumulated more wealth and had those experiences that get you to the well rounded place you find yourself. He is in his mid 20s with a brain that only just matured and took a hell of a beating along the way and is on his way to those experiences. We are irrational, emotional football supporters freaking out that we may not go back to back. I think he stays but if he doesn’t we will fall in love with the next guy.

• Like 4
  • Love 2