Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Angus Brayshaw Re-Signs Until 2028

Demonland

if he stays he stays; if he goes he goes

he's having a ripping year...as a half-back flanker

even better year than last year...where it was a defensive wing

and in turn that was better than the last time he played as a pure mid...nearly 5 seasons ago!

he might come back and be the greatest inside midfielder essendon has had since jab watson...and i still doubt he'd be better than the combo of clayton oliver, christian petracca, and jack viney

even playing as a half-back interceptor his defensive workrate can be mighty suspect

• Like 1

If we lose both of Jackson and Brayshaw i am seriously going to kick something into next week.

I mean i will spit the biggest dummy ever made.

Coz in the end, thats all i can do.

Win the cup again this year and i couldnt care less what they both decide to do.

Maybe the trade and draft dates will hold some excitement after all.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Am I the only one that isn’t concerned about the interview? 
I thought he was pretty positive. He stated the really enjoys playing off the half back flank, loves the playing group. It’s the biggest decision in his playing career and he just wants to make sure he’s covering all bases before he commits. 

Edited by Megatron
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

If that interview comes off the back of his management meeting the club... they are at loggerheads. How quickly things can change... what a train wreck this season is becoming.

• Facepalm 1
  • Shocked 1

Just now, praha said:

If that interview comes off the back of his management meeting the club... they are at loggerheads. How quickly things can change... what a train wreck this season is becoming.

Imagine going from reigning premiers to maybe bombing out then losing 2 key players. It would feel like the neeld days without the success. 

• Haha 1

My take on the interview is that Angus knows this is his payday and wants to milk it for all its worth - still don't think he will leave 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sydee said:

My take on the interview is that Angus knows this is his payday and wants to milk it for all its worth - still don't think he will leave 

I’m with you, I just think they are trying to get a bit more cash

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dwight Schrute said:

Has re-signed apparently. Manager flew to Melbourne to officially sign off. Rumours he will announce on Gus and gawny which is hilarious. 

I’ve now seen multiple people I trust hearing this so very confident 

I've just retracted my "like". Your sources are miles off the mark. Care to share what connection your sources have to Gus?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m actually surprised the possibility of being part of a ‘Premiership dynasty’ has so little appeal for these guys. This is supposed to be the time when contracts sign themselves! We’ve all heard the stories of pacts and even players taking pay cuts to keep the dream alive!

To an extent, I can understand a young guy like Jackson being seduced by the attention and offers being put forward by rival Clubs. But a player like Brayshaw? Smart, mature, courageous on field, popular at the Club and with supporters. If even he is considering a move, ostensibly because he’s unhappy with the role he’s been given, it makes me wonder at the culture of our Club.

Of course, this is a surface analysis. But we can only go on the words and actions of the players.

Edited by wisedog
  • Like 6
  • Shocked 1

28 minutes ago, Deenooos_ said:

Yeh what is this about? If you love the club and are loyal and enjoy playing footy in a successful team I don't understand the need to look elsewhere... One more concussion and the dude is toast anyway, idk but in the midfield you are more likely to get a knock to the head 

I always thought his movement out of the midfield group was a mutually agreed move to prolong his career. 

13A395CD-849C-4E74-89E3-27679A3C22BF.jpeg.fa81101d36ba4f47c76a52ab3a71205e.jpeg

FFS. Put us out of our misery. 
I feel like the kid who’s partway between Santa’s real and Santa’s fake. Disillusionment is on the horizon. 

• Haha 4

Ok, just listened to the interview.  Maybe I listened to the wrong one, because I didn't get the doomsday vibe that others seemed to have.

On his contract, he said it's a big decision - biggest of his career - and one he'll make on his own. He said he's doing his due diligence (inference: talking to other clubs, as is his prerogative as a free agent). He didn't confirm that he's talked to any other clubs (we know he has; this was just Brayshaw being professional).

On his on-field position, he did say that the position he played is a factor in his decision - he didn't mention anything about midfield (this is something Watson and Lyon brought up) - instead he spoke glowingly about the defensive group (Lever, May, etc.) and that he'd been moved into the half back role suddenly early this year, and that he's loving playing there and that it has brought out good features of his game.  Nothing about not playing in his preferred position, nothing about disliking where he's currently playing.

On the 'past tense" stuff in reference to the club, almost continuously he was using "we", "us" throughout when referring to the team.

He was candid about how difficult it is as a team to maintain the intensity required to turn one flag into a dynasty; I didn't read this as though he was feeling like this was a "not me, everyone else around me isn't pulling their weight" kind of thing and hence he wanted out, but rather just an honest assessment that the players know where the team is at and what they need to improve upon from here.

Gus is an intelligent, professional, direct speaker.  I have no idea if he's staying or if he's going, but I didn't get the vibe he's gone.

So was yesterday's mail erroneous?   Maybe.  Alternatively, if it was accurate and he did sign a contract, that would be something the club would reasonably want to announce on their terms.  There is training today - they could foreseeably be filming reaction video of the announcement to the players, interviews on the track in MFC training gear, etc., for the social media blitz upon the announcement.  Behind the scenes there will be courtesy calls that need to happen with the various other suitors to inform them of his decision, etc.  And finally, they're not going to want to spill the beans on a SEN breakfast show interview, so Gus may have simply been framing his responses as though pen hadn't yet gone to paper.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

2 minutes ago, gs77 said:

So was yesterday's mail erroneous?   Maybe.  Alternatively, if it was accurate and he did sign a contract, that would be something the club would reasonably want to announce on their terms.  There is training today - they could foreseeably be filming reaction video of the announcement to the players, interviews on the track in MFC training gear, etc., for the social media blitz upon the announcement.  Behind the scenes there will be courtesy calls that need to happen with the various other suitors to inform them of his decision, etc.  And finally, they're not going to want to spill the beans on a SEN breakfast show interview, so Gus may have simply been framing his responses as though pen hadn't yet gone to paper.

Or he could just sign the flippin’ thing without the pomp and circumstance, like Clarrie did. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

13A395CD-849C-4E74-89E3-27679A3C22BF.jpeg.fa81101d36ba4f47c76a52ab3a71205e.jpeg

FFS. Put us out of our misery. 
I feel like the kid who’s partway between Santa’s real and Santa’s fake. Disillusionment is on the horizon. 

I prefer to worry about this year first WCW. Both Gus and Jacko are ours for the rest of the season, nothing will change that. If the boys need more time, so be it (no matter how frustrating). As long as their first priority is winning a premiership this year, I don’t care how long they take. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/07/25/brayshaw-provides-contract-update-reveals-significant-factor-determining-new/

Speaking to SEN Breakfast, Brayshaw said he was unfazed by the discussion surrounding his contract and is glad it hasn’t impacted his game.

“It doesn’t take a genius to figure out this is the most important decision I’ve got to make (with my career) and it’s not one I’m taking lightly at all,” he said.

“I’ve got a heap of due diligence to do to feel comfortable about the decision I make, obviously I haven’t decided yet. I understand that time is running out on the clock and people speculating, but fortunately I’m not making the decision for any of them, it’s a decision about what’s best for me and I’ll make it when I’m ready.

“One thing I’m quite proud of is that despite all the talk and the noise I haven’t really let it affect the way I play footy and commit to the team.

“I feel really comfortable about the process I’m going through at the moment.”

Uncertainty around Brayshaw’s future is rife given he’s yet to commit to the Demons for next year, who are also battling to retain Luke Jackson amidst rumours of a Fremantle move.

With the trade period a little over two months away, there’s no doubt pressure would be rising on the utility to make a call on his future.

However, he’s feeling none of it.

“I don’t want to be rushed into a decision or pressured into something when I’m not on board with, which hasn’t happened yet and isn’t going to happen,” Brayshaw added.

“There will be a time where I come out with something and make a decision.

“I’m making sure I absolutely nail this one… it’s the rest of my career we’re talking about, so it’s not something I’m taking lightly.”

Brayshaw is speculated to be chasing a positional move if he shifts away from Melbourne, currently playing off half back for Simon Goodwin’s side.

He started his career as a midfielder but has played a number of different roles in his eight years at the club, admitting where he plays on the ground will be a significant factor in determining his next contract.

“It (position) is certainly something that comes into calculations,” Brayshaw stated.

“I’ve heard all sorts of theories about where I play my best footy… I’m really loving playing on the half back flank this year.

“It came a bit out of nowhere and I absolutely love being a part of that group.”

He’s averaging 24.9 disposals per game in 2022, while also averaging career highs in marks (8.6) and rebound 50s (4.1).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, gs77 said:

Ok, just listened to the interview.  Maybe I listened to the wrong one, because I didn't get the doomsday vibe that others seemed to have.

On his contract, he said it's a big decision - biggest of his career - and one he'll make on his own. He said he's doing his due diligence (inference: talking to other clubs, as is his prerogative as a free agent). He didn't confirm that he's talked to any other clubs (we know he has; this was just Brayshaw being professional).

On his on-field position, he did say that the position he played is a factor in his decision - he didn't mention anything about midfield (this is something Watson and Lyon brought up) - instead he spoke glowingly about the defensive group (Lever, May, etc.) and that he'd been moved into the half back role suddenly early this year, and that he's loving playing there and that it has brought out good features of his game.  Nothing about not playing in his preferred position, nothing about disliking where he's currently playing.

On the 'past tense" stuff in reference to the club, almost continuously he was using "we", "us" throughout when referring to the team.

He was candid about how difficult it is as a team to maintain the intensity required to turn one flag into a dynasty; I didn't read this as though he was feeling like this was a "not me, everyone else around me isn't pulling their weight" kind of thing and hence he wanted out, but rather just an honest assessment that the players know where the team is at and what they need to improve upon from here.

Gus is an intelligent, professional, direct speaker.  I have no idea if he's staying or if he's going, but I didn't get the vibe he's gone.

Appreciate the write up gs77, cheers!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Neil Crompton said:

I prefer to worry about this year first WCW. Both Gus and Jacko are ours for the rest of the season, nothing will change that. If the boys need more time, so be it (no matter how frustrating). As long as their first priority is winning a premiership this year, I don’t care how long they take. 

I agree NC. But it’s undeniable that this is a distraction to some degree. And not just in terms of us fans. I’m sure it’s weighing heavily on both boys’ minds if indeed they are still undecided. But if they’ve made their decisions would it be too much to ask to make this public?

25 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I’m with you, I just think they are trying to get a bit more cash

It's the only thing you could realistically take from the interview, a lot on here have an uncanny knack of interpreting things in the most negative way possible. It's his big payday he wants to make sure he gets the best possible outcome.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gs77 said:

Free Agency opens up a week after the G/F. Gus is saying that he'll make a decision after the season ends, so should we win the G/F, he'll do it in the midst of Premiership celebrations. Highly unlikely. 

It's never a good sign when a player comes out with what Gus said in the interview. If he's committed to staying, usually the player will say that there's just a few loose ends to tie up, but he'll stay. 

1 minute ago, mo64 said:

Free Agency opens up a week after the G/F. Gus is saying that he'll make a decision after the season ends, so should we win the G/F, he'll do it in the midst of Premiership celebrations. Highly unlikely. 

It's never a good sign when a player comes out with what Gus said in the interview. If he's committed to staying, usually the player will say that there's just a few loose ends to tie up, but he'll stay. 

Well he can always change his mind and sign earlier. That's what I'm hoping anyway.